Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mountain boys vs. City Boys.
Didn't Cris Dishman play for Louisville Desales? Will Wolford St.X.
Don't forget Mi Mi Bell of GRC. He is still currently playing in the NFL with the Miami Dolphins.
jw4914 Wrote:I am just going with the thread and picking based on High School performance. You are
implying an extended path to the next level. I'm sure many of these guys went on to
have outstanding futures. But, (and I apologize if this offends anyone, but I am an old
mountain boy) just saying that some Mountain boys, like myself, had the offers and never
pursued them. And, I still say that from the pool of Mountain wonders (with a little old
school) would take care of business against a top city roundup.

With all due respect I have to disagree!!! Look at players like Paul Hourning, Phil Simms, Shaun Alexander, Lorenzen, Mike Bush, Brohm, Tony Driver, etc the mountians don't stand a chance. These are all guys that competed at the HIGHEST level in college and played in the NFL.
BlackBearDenMother Wrote:I believe Channing Fugate is UT's starting fullback, last I heard anyways.

He touched the ball three times in the first game of the year, a blowout victory. But he has not stepped on the field since.
RoShamBo Wrote:Look at the state WR records for a season and a career and you will become acquainted with John Cole. He should have been Mr. Football in 2007, I know it was Corey Robinson's ridiculous TD season, but he broke every WR record in the state as a junior and made the state records list as a returner and WR his senior year as well. 1st team all state in 2006 & 2007. He got hurt this year but he's been starting at Vanderbilt since day 1.

I can probably find videos if anyone cares to see them, pretty amazing football player. Not trying to discredit any past receivers, but if you are making an all time greatest mountain football team, John Cole has to be the #1 receiver. He was that good, I watched him play from his Freshman year on and the only team that stopped him was 2005 NCC when he was a Sophomore.

Well, I'm hard pressed to go by numbers. Numbers really don't equate to competition so I'm not swayed by that. I honestly have not heard of these names before. So, it will be a little difficult for this type of discussion when all the names are not known. That's not a knock at EKY, I probably would not know the names if they were from SKY or WKY either! This is extremely too regionalized to only base this on HS accomplishments! HS accomplishments mean little in comparison to what that individual was able to do against comparable competition. There are a tremendous number of athletes from NKY, where I am familiar, that went on to play Major D1 and even on to long distinquished careers in the NFL! I'm not even sure I could name a great number for Louisville and Lexington, but I can guarentee that as extensive as the list would be for NKY, it will pale in comparison to CKY!
mr.charlie hustle Wrote:You might just want to add Mike Minnix, Tony Mayes,Joey Couch,Bobby Mullins and Brad Tiller (Speed-Football Speed). These all from Paintsville.

While great players whom I'm very familiar with, it still doesn't come close to what can come out of the "city boys" times 20.

It's really a ludicruous debate but I guess it does kill time.
RoShamBo Wrote:Look at the state WR records for a season and a career and you will become acquainted with John Cole. He should have been Mr. Football in 2007, I know it was Corey Robinson's ridiculous TD season, but he broke every WR record in the state as a junior and made the state records list as a returner and WR his senior year as well. 1st team all state in 2006 & 2007. He got hurt this year but he's been starting at Vanderbilt since day 1.

I can probably find videos if anyone cares to see them, pretty amazing football player. Not trying to discredit any past receivers, but if you are making an all time greatest mountain football team, John Cole has to be the #1 receiver. He was that good, I watched him play from his Freshman year on and the only team that stopped him was 2005 NCC when he was a Sophomore.

Cole was and is awesome. I agree. :Cheerlead

I think you agree to that this debate is one that the original poster can not win.
jw4914 Wrote:I am just going with the thread and picking based on High School performance. You are
implying an extended path to the next level. I'm sure many of these guys went on to
have outstanding futures. But, (and I apologize if this offends anyone, but I am an old
mountain boy) just saying that some Mountain boys, like myself, had the offers and never
pursued them. And, I still say that from the pool of Mountain wonders (with a little old
school) would take care of business against a top city roundup.

Even just based on High School it doesn't add up.

A few years ago I noted the small % of championships won by Mountain Teams. I think the total is something like 21 state titles. Even if you only look in the top 3 Classes historically there has been nearly 200 title opportunities and that's a very low number.

Have their been some of the greatest players in KY High School Football history come from teams in the Mountains? Absolutely.

But to somehow claim some superiority over other regions and areas? No way. The numbers don't back it up. :dontthink
Stardust Wrote:Well, I'm hard pressed to go by numbers. Numbers really don't equate to competition so I'm not swayed by that. I honestly have not heard of these names before. So, it will be a little difficult for this type of discussion when all the names are not known. That's not a knock at EKY, I probably would not know the names if they were from SKY or WKY either! This is extremely too regionalized to only base this on HS accomplishments! HS accomplishments mean little in comparison to what that individual was able to do against comparable competition. There are a tremendous number of athletes from NKY, where I am familiar, that went on to play Major D1 and even on to long distinquished careers in the NFL! I'm not even sure I could name a great number for Louisville and Lexington, but I can guarentee that as extensive as the list would be for NKY, it will pale in comparison to CKY!

Just a cursory glance shows the numbers aren't there either at the High School level. Top Ten individual stats here's what I see:

3 "Mountain" players in the top 10 in scoring all time.

Only 1 in the top 10 scoring for a season.

2 in top 10 of Passing TD's in a career.

3 for Passing TD's in a season.

2 in top 10 all time Receiving TD's.

3 in top 10 all time Rushing yards.

Only 1 rusher in top 10 rushing seasons.

The stats show some great players but nothing that makes one believe they are superior to the rest of the state.
I can understand why most of you all believe the all city team would win this in a walkover but you have no idea of the talent that had come out of the mountains.
If were playing a GAME than its only 11 on 11. You can name 400 city boys who went on to good careers but it is not about quanity but rather it is about quality.
You cant honestly tell me that there arent 11 guys from the mountains on offense thaat wouldnt give the 11 best of the city atleast a somewhat decent game.
You can go by how many players like ive said.
Name 11 for the City, 11 for the Mountain and then see what kind of teams you come up with. Tim Couch was probably the best high school QB to ever come out of KY, and theres the mountain side already an advantage
Theres no doubt there has been more talent and success come from the city schools.
But if youre playing a game, its only your best 11 against are best 11.
mr.charlie hustle Wrote:You might just want to add Mike Minnix, Tony Mayes,Joey Couch,Bobby Mullins and Brad Tiller (Speed-Football Speed). These all from Paintsville.
Minnix-High School AllAmerican,Record holder,UK player who opted for medical career. Mayes UK/Kansas City Chiefs. Couch - UK, ALL SEC. Mullins.UK signee
who died in a car wreck his graduation night. Tiller-Opted to play Pro-baseball. Three other excellent players from the ville were Bob Porter and Jim Allen who both ended up at Baylor to play basketball and Johnny" Peanut" Lemaster who choose to play Pro-baseball and retired from the SF Giants. These guys were all excellent pigskin players. There are many country-boy players out there.Any picks would have to come by position.
There is a list a mile long of city talent. But you can only field 11 on offense and 11 on defense. A kicker and a punter. I'm sure the mountain folk will not have any trouble coming up with that many. Everyone from the mountains ought to list the top 2 or 3 best players of all time at their home school. Once you get all those together then start picking and placing everyone. I'd like for someone to come up with some names from the old Lynch East Main high school. Seems to me that I have heard that one or two of those guy's played briefly in the pro's.
I'm of the belief that this would be closer than a lot of you guys are thinking. You can look at individual records and such, but you have to remember that there are far fewer Mt Teams in comparison to the "City teams". So they should make up a smaller percentage of the record books.

I'll throw in Oliver White from Knox Central for the Mt. squad. The older guys from Bell (Lone Jack), Middlesboro, Hazard (Cawood & Evarts), Corbin, etc will remember him quite well. I also agree with the Bird's from Corbin. There are several.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:I can understand why most of you all believe the all city team would win this in a walkover but you have no idea of the talent that had come out of the mountains.
If were playing a GAME than its only 11 on 11. You can name 400 city boys who went on to good careers but it is not about quanity but rather it is about quality.
You cant honestly tell me that there arent 11 guys from the mountains on offense thaat wouldnt give the 11 best of the city atleast a somewhat decent game.
You can go by how many players like ive said.
Name 11 for the City, 11 for the Mountain and then see what kind of teams you come up with. Tim Couch was probably the best high school QB to ever come out of KY, and theres the mountain side already an advantage

I would take Brian Brohm over Couch, even in High School. He accomplished more and was close in stats. Factor in the talent he had to compete against I would pick Brohm over Couch.

Just for review:

TD's Couch (133) Brohm (119)

Yards Couch (12,167) Brohm (10,579)

Completions
Couch (875 & 3rd place including his 8th grade passes)
Brohm (698 4th place)

Completion % Couch (63.5 %) Brohm (65.2 %)

Not as hands down as you portray. One could argue the lack of talent Couch may have played with. However the quality of opponents were not the same as what Brohm faced.

Also add in the State Titles factor and advantage Brohm IMO.
laker20 Wrote:I'm of the belief that this would be closer than a lot of you guys are thinking. You can look at individual records and such, but you have to remember that there are far fewer Mt Teams in comparison to the "City teams". So they should make up a smaller percentage of the record books.

I'll throw in Oliver White from Knox Central for the Mt. squad. The older guys from Bell (Lone Jack), Middlesboro, Hazard (Cawood & Evarts), Corbin, etc will remember him quite well. I also agree with the Bird's from Corbin. There are several.

I think that's a legitimate argument.

However we have to look at RB's, or QB's - who rates greatest then?

For Example: Shaun Alexander from Boone County would have to go under the title of City boy. So would Paul Hornung of Flaget. Throw in Owensboro's Mark Higgs to make it three.

That's the only way to logically approach the debate.
you guys and your mountains.

look at the state championships! its easy.
Highlands20, Trinity20, St X12, NCC4, Male6, CovCath6, Beechwood 11

vs

Boyle7, Danville10 is Mayfield a mountain team?
Are Danville and Boyle considered Mountain???? They are closer to Lexington than NKY is!
Stardust Wrote:^ I'm being dead serious, and this is not meant to be a knock (god's honest truth), besides Fugate, who I only learned of from this site and have not heard of again - I have never heard of any of those players listed? What did they do after HS that may strike a memory?

Stardust

I know you've heard of Al Holland. He was a qb for the Colonels and now the East Ky Drillers. He played for EKU. Enough said.
birdman44 Wrote:you guys and your mountains.

vs

You and your geography.
During all of your irrational rambling you still have yet to even name a mountain school. Heck, Mayfield is in western KY.

Its not the team championships. Its the best 11 players on both sides of the football.
Westside Wrote:Stardust

I know you've heard of Al Holland. He was a qb for the Colonels and now the East Ky Drillers. He played for EKU. Enough said.

Wouldn't Tuck Wollum be a better choice from the mountains and EKU stardom?
Hatz Wrote:Wouldn't Tuck Wollum be a better choice from the mountains and EKU stardom?

Yes, and it's Woolum.
Freddie Maggard would be even better. He started for three years at UK.
Hatz Wrote:Cole was and is awesome. I agree. :Cheerlead

I think you agree to that this debate is one that the original poster can not win.

Absolutely not. It's not really an argument you can prove wrong so it's interesting to discuss, but it doesn't matter what time period we are talking about, all time city team would destroy all time mountain team.
birdman44 Wrote:you guys and your mountains.

vs

Good Lord. Not a geography major are we? lol
Got a lot of hate... I really dont know any mountain schools cause they dont win state. Shelby Clark? Noname City? whatever. I got a list of the teams that have three or more state titles and thought Boyle and Danville were the closest to being "mountain teams" whatever that means.

You mountain billies get some state titles and I"ll remember your schools name.
I was under the impression that it was City boys vs. Mountain boys, to me that means Lexington, Louisville, Owensboro, and Bowling Green. No knock against Cynthiana, Alexandria, etc.... but to me they are not "as city" as the ones I listed above.

What would be neat would be to take a 4 team tourney: EKY, WKY, NKY and City-schools that would be more fair and balanced.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Stardust Wrote:Are Danville and Boyle considered Mountain???? They are closer to Lexington than NKY is!

Yeah and NKY isnt claiming Lex! Lex is a small town compared to the Cincinnati area. Nice place but NKy and Lex arent the same at all, there are real places in Ky that arent Lex and Lou.
^ A'int now Cows in Ft. Thomas - They gots'ta be City Fokes!
Stardust Wrote:^ A'int now Cows in Ft. Thomas - They gots'ta be City Fokes!

I will say this though, those mountain boys always were really big hitters.
^ In football????

j/k