Thread Closed
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Shelby Valley 66 Johnson Central 56
PantherTradition Wrote:Comparing from where they were at the beginning of the season until now, they are peaking.

Sounds to me like Pikeville would much rather play Shelby Valley then a complete East Ridge team?
ladyeaglefan Wrote:I personally think it's a SHAME when some of the fans from JC behave the way they did tonight! 1st you hear fans screaming at the coaches for taking the 1st string out, then you hear at halftime fans screaming "look at this hall of shame", then you hear Mom's yelling "why are you taking my kid out, he's the only one playing good". Then lastly, why in the world would a parent come down behind the bench for the 2nd straight game and BABY their kid like they did tonight? I think it's time for these parents to grow up and stop putting the blame on someone else and take a look in the mirror. Maybe it's you that taught your kids to act the way they do. Maybe it's you who needs be yelled at and blamed for what has become a recurring theme. These kids that were playing and pulled out of the game were pulled because they let a 7-4 lead become a 24-7 deficite. The 2nd string did a good job, they practice just as hard as anyone else and they deserved the time they got tonight.
The fact of the matter is we can sit here and blame coaches, administrators, other players, but when it comes down to it I put the blame on the parents. These attitudes are a reflection on YOU. Until you take a step back and allow your young man to just PLAY A GAME then this will continue. Johnson Central has a ton of talent, yes, but until these KIDS are allowed to play a GAME and not have to worry about what's gonna be said when they go home they will never achieve what they are capable of. It's time to grow up!

:Thumbs: I felt the same way after leaving the ballgame. I have been thinking that all this time, the coaching staff was struggling with the boys, granted, they probrably are. But, the big thing I realized tonight was the pressure the parents put on the boys. The point guard would look toward his parents every time he missed a shot or lost the ball or whatever. Should he be more worried about what the coach is saying? The other thing that really bothered me was the constant yelling from certain parents. I'm not not sure if she thinks that her son is the next NBA star or what. Maybe if she would watch the game and support the entire team, her son would be so mad all the time and punch something and carry on when he comes out of the game.
What's next for these boys? I doubt that many will play beyond high school, although I think that would be great for the boys. The boys, along with their parents, sem to be more worried about who can get the most points. Well, guess what, who cares? It won't matter who has the most points if YOUR TEAM IS NOT THE WINNER ON THE SCOREBOARD. The scoreboard keeps score for everybody, not one player. Boys, it's time to Grow Up and quit being jealous of each other. For the seniors, this IS IT! This is the last time as a high school senior to compete for any championship! Make the most of it!
Eagle_Fan442 Wrote:I missed being @ this game. First off I want to say Congrats to Brett Reynolds of Shelby Valley, from the radio it sounded like you had a pretty good night. As far as the Eagles go, I really don't think it's anybodys business if a parent gets their son a gatorade or checks on him to see if he's ok...that's why we are parents. Emotions get flared this time of year from players,fans,coaches and parents...yes everybody even the ones that want to set back and judge another parents doings, if not you wouldn't be on here.
It's time to step up guys, get your heads outta your butts and play some TEAM ball. I am a parent of one of the players and I'll be the first one to say take my kid out if he's playing stupid, it's not going to upset me and it shouldn't bother Mr.McKenzie to do the same to ANY other player on that team if they are playing stupid or just not playing TEAM ball, he has a deep bench that knows the game. ALL of these other schools would absolutely LOVE to see JC fail and it's up to this TEAM to see that they don't. Quit playing with these other teams and get serious....Go Eagles!!!

I agree. I wish all of the parents had the same mindset as you. Not just JC, but every high school.
Eagle Eye Wrote:I agree one million percent!! Its time for these kids espicially five of the six seniors(excluding Tanner Bratton because he at least plays hard) to take their diapers off and grow up. I for one as a fan and graduate am embarrassed to even cheer for this team. They will regret the way they act and play on the court when they finally do grow up. This is probably one if not the most talented teams to ever come through this school and they have two weeks to get it together or it will go down as the most embarrassing team to ever play!!!! I am so sick of watching the walking down the court, walking off the court, pouting if something doesn't go your way, throwing your wristbands if your takin out of the game. I agree this reflects on the parents because I know my kids will never act that way!! I bet we have went through numerous cases of tissue!!:baby::Sad04: Show a little heart, a little emotion, have a little pride because right now your the whole region is laughing at you!!! That is exactly why Paintsville played so close even though JC is probably 20 points better. They were diving on the floor, taking charges, going for all the loose balls! The fact is they played with heart, emotion, and pride something this team lacks. You have a small amount of time to decide which way this is going!!! Its up to the players not the coaches and not the parents!!

You nailed it. Those that are disagreeing with you have watched this same attitude for so long at JC that it's just become accepted behavior. Evidently they have never seen this game played the way it's supposed to be played. It didn't start with this bunch, it's gone on for awhile, but this bunch has surely been able to successfuly carry on with what has become a JC player tradition.
Mr. Postman Wrote:i don't know who ur watching sir, but not the same team i was. bratton is a tremendous hustler for sure, but there are a couple more kid's that are to! mentioning charges taken, there's only about 2 or 3 that i've seen do it all year, but thats more than 1. the main thing wrong with this team is we expect skaggs and parker to score all the points, we have 6 or 7 that can score, but that's not how it's suppose to be, i guess. some of these kids do have heart and play with heart, please don't compare these to the other's. as far as paintsville and valley are concerned, they have grown imensly through out the season, and are very dangerous when they play anyone. as far as defence, jk, tate, tanner, tj, gallagher, can man up with about anyone they face, they play with heart. if ur embarrsed to cheer for these boys, stay home, hide and listen to the radio. this region is wide open, paintsville, jc, sheldon clark. betsy layne, pikeville, pike central, shelby valley, belfry ALL THESE are legetimate teams, believe it or not, it's not etched in stone for us or anyone else. as far as parents are concerned, wait til ur kid's out there in the position to compete for region title, see what ur thoughts and actions are, and don't never say never about what ur kid will do, it could come back to bite you. THESE KID"S ARE UNDER TRERMENDOUS PRESSURE, they know what the fan's expect, they know with the exception of 1 or 2, if they mess up they're probably coming out, THEY WANT TO WIN. saying all this ,remember they're still kids!!!!

I dont know who you are watching. I dont see a legitimate shooter on the floor, or one that comes off the bench other than those two. Who are you seeing as a true shooter?
grangercort Wrote:well i no that the parent u are referring to does not pet her child like everyone thanks an her son was coming off the floor because he had bumped his knee the wrong way again an she wasnt even in the gym she was in bathroom an getting him a gatorade because so much water makes him sick an the last two games she bought all the boys gatorades an she got reall upset when that parent did hollor at coach about the second string of players she even stated that is what wrong with this team they are a few on the team that needs to realize that a team is all players so u have got it all wrong an yes she did say why u taking out him hes the only one playing but when u hear all that we hear u would say something to an coach nos what she was saying an it wasnt ot him.
vundy33 Wrote:lol..really? This isn't Topix.

Anyway, congrats to Valley. I always enjoy seeing JC struggle, Valley too, but I'm glad that they have earned some of that respect that they lost early in the season back. The 59th District tourny is going to be one **** of a show.
Someone needs to check BGR history Vundy, and see if that post qualifies for the longest sentence in BGR history. I vote yes.
Going into the season thought JC would dominate this region.
But sounds as if this team is "Imploding"
I'm not sure what the big uproar is here! The facts are this, Johnson Central has a record of 16 wins and only 6 losses has won 9 out of it's last 11 games, locked up the #1 seed in the upcoming district tournament and everyone still says this team doesn't have what it takes to win a district of region title.
Sure, there are going to be parents, fans, players, coaches in the stands who think this should be done differently, or this player needs more shots but the fact is THIS TEAM IS WINNING! Maybe not like I'd like or like Coach Mckenzie would like because he wants to win every game but they are 10 games over .500. That's pretty darn good!
As far as parents yelling during games, that's gonna happen. Coach Mckenzie is one of my best friends and I'll defend him forever because I know what he goes through for these kids, I know the work he puts in for this team and community. He runs the JC program with class, and dignity! These kids are better people because he is their coach. Say what you want about him but the truth is he is a great coach, great motivator, and great leader! JCHS is lucky to have a man like him running the show. Everyone who thinks different just doesn't see things that go on behind the scenes like I do. I never imagined I'd be on bluegrass rivals posting about anything but I just couldn't hold off anymore. These are kids we are discussing, how are they supposed to succeed with all they hear is their coaches suck, or they need discipline? They are kids, of course they need discipline! Why is it so hard to just compliment them for having a great year so far and say congrats to Valley on a good win. They played great, JC didn't that's just how things go sometimes.
Everybody shoulda known that Sv would step it up later in the season. They've already played Pikeville close twice though I don't think Pikeville is that good. I look for SV to win district while the "We're Back" fools go back to their caves.
Bob Seger Wrote:You nailed it. Those that are disagreeing with you have watched this same attitude for so long at JC that it's just become accepted behavior. Evidently they have never seen this game played the way it's supposed to be played. It didn't start with this bunch, it's gone on for awhile, but this bunch has surely been able to successfuly carry on with what has become a JC player tradition.

I agree with these post. I have been a JC fan for many years and I will say what needs to be said, basketball at JC is broken! How long can we keep having these talented teams and geting such poor results?

The football program was broken too and we got a quick fix. We hired the best qualified coach we could, let him clean house and bring in quality assitants and run the program. We have competed at the state level since. In fact, this same coaching staff uses these same kids playing basketball and almost wins a 5A state title with no drama and we can not even beat these average teams in the weakest region in the state.

I say clean house and start over with good qaulity coaches. You can only blame the kids for so long.
Valley is beginning to really impress me. The 15th region tournament should be incredible.
Mr. Postman Wrote:i don't know who ur watching sir, but not the same team i was. bratton is a tremendous hustler for sure, but there are a couple more kid's that are to! mentioning charges taken, there's only about 2 or 3 that i've seen do it all year, but thats more than 1. the main thing wrong with this team is we expect skaggs and parker to score all the points, we have 6 or 7 that can score, but that's not how it's suppose to be, i guess. some of these kids do have heart and play with heart, please don't compare these to the other's. as far as paintsville and valley are concerned, they have grown imensly through out the season, and are very dangerous when they play anyone. as far as defence, jk, tate, tanner, tj, gallagher, can man up with about anyone they face, they play with heart. if ur embarrsed to cheer for these boys, stay home, hide and listen to the radio. this region is wide open, paintsville, jc, sheldon clark. betsy layne, pikeville, pike central, shelby valley, belfry ALL THESE are legetimate teams, believe it or not, it's not etched in stone for us or anyone else. as far as parents are concerned, wait til ur kid's out there in the position to compete for region title, see what ur thoughts and actions are, and don't never say never about what ur kid will do, it could come back to bite you. THESE KID"S ARE UNDER TRERMENDOUS PRESSURE, they know what the fan's expect, they know with the exception of 1 or 2, if they mess up they're probably coming out, THEY WANT TO WIN. saying all this ,remember they're still kids!!!!
This post is very confusing to me Mr Postman. Not because of the content, I have no opinion on this thread. I just find it so strange how you said "never say never" and "they are still kids". Remember your post about Dustin Caldwell and Josh Green in 2008 on a Paintsville/JC thread. YOU SAID "never" quite emphatically and guess what Mr. Postman, they were and still are just kids. Do you remember?

Whatever you say but take the blinders off! I have never seen a team where kids walk down the court while the game is going on or even walk off the court when being taken out of the game. I not one time said they couldn't man up with anyone but there is a difference in saying and doing! Its not that hard to step over and take a charge or at least attempt it. I watched Pville drive the lane numerous times and not one player stepped over to try. I have to strongly disagree with you on playing with heart!!! If your playing your biggest rival then there is no reason why you shouldn't be busting your butt on every play. That doesn't happen on this team. I have kids and I have told them from day one that if they are playing they better be giving it 150 percent or they will hear it at home! That is the problem with this team. They don't want to give it all and then when they are sitting on the bench mommy and daddy start crying and yelling "why aren't they playing" Then comes the great line of "I will just quit"! Yes I did stay home saturday night because I don't want my kids acting like these! This team is 10 points better than any team in this region but not if you don't play with a little heart and emotion. Im sorry if I struck a nerve but many others feel the same way. This is something that can be changed and there is still time!!! I still hope that they will be playing in rupp. They have a great chance but all it takes is for these kids to realize in two weeks they will never play another basketball game that matters anymore. Yes there is pressure but great players and teams love pressure!!!!:Thumbs:
Uncle Fester Wrote:Everybody shoulda known that Sv would step it up later in the season. They've already played Pikeville close twice though I don't think Pikeville is that good. I look for SV to win district while the "We're Back" fools go back to their caves.

No caves in the city, they're all out in the county.
Really does sound like Johnson Central is underachieving as far as what was expected of them for this year. I think that Shelby Valley has improve significantly so this loss is not as bad as what someone would think. But I guess it is the way in which this team took the loss.
[SIZE="4"]
[COLOR="Blue"]Shelby Valley High School:
2009 and 2010 All "A" State Champions and 2010 Kentucky Sweet 16 State Champions
MaxPreps National Champions!![/SIZE][/COLOR][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
What parents do not baby their children. All players are superstars in the parents eyes and you shouldn't pull the all-star players.
JC is the worst coached team in the state !!!! and yet you all want to blame kids and parents ..... Maybe EE can pass out some bottles at tourney for everyone !!!! bye bye JC !!!!
Lisa Caldwell Wrote:[/B] This post is very confusing to me Mr Postman. Not because of the content, I have no opinion on this thread. I just find it so strange how you said "never say never" and "they are still kids". Remember your post about Dustin Caldwell and Josh Green in 2008 on a Paintsville/JC thread. YOU SAID "never" quite emphatically and guess what Mr. Postman, they were and still are just kids. Do you remember?

to be honest mam, i did forget this post, however i did go back and look it up and i guess it was simply a black and blue thing. i apologize for hurting your feelings or the kids,:igiveup: however the eagles aren't ready to throw in the towel quite yet. if you will look up my thread on 6-17-10, you will see i bragged on dustin caldwell and josh green, they are super kids and great atheletes. i just happen to be for the eagle's, nothing personal!:Thumbs:
EYESPYJC Wrote:JC is the worst coached team in the state !!!! and yet you all want to blame kids and parents ..... Maybe EE can pass out some bottles at tourney for everyone !!!! bye bye JC !!!!

eyespyjc, i don't agree with everything coach does, nor everything the players do, nor everything us parents do, but coach did not take noone else's job. central had no coach when he was hired, he's not a bad guy, give him a break.:please: as being a graduate from central, surely you can find something good to say if it's bragging on the cheerleaders.:igiveup:
Mr. Postman Wrote:eyespyjc, i don't agree with everything coach does, nor everything the players do, nor everything us parents do, but coach did not take noone else's job. central had no coach when he was hired, he's not a bad guy, give him a break.:please: as being a graduate from central, surely you can find something good to say if it's bragging on the cheerleaders.:igiveup:

I know he's not a bad guy ... but he is not and never been able to control or take charge of his players. JC has the resources to hire a Coach instead of a good guy and turn this around ...what a shame that in his career the talent that has been wasted. I can find things good about JC ....Like the football program, see what I mean .........:Clap:

well do you even no sports an not not saying its all the coaches fault but NBA players have to have a coach an those boys have really played hard last couple games but sv was a off night an they cant afford to have those but if they embarres u then stay home your the fan no team needs.Eagles keep it together you boys can do this :argue:
Don't the Bob Amos Park have some caves? Isn' t that located in city limits?
Gonna put this out there. Im not sure if I want to hear the response. But to me it seemed ridiculous that JC's players were celebrating like they did after the win. They got embarassed on their home floor by a buch that is 30 points less talented than them, heck paintsville still has the point spread advantage for a season in which jc should dominate. This would be like if the 08 team at paintsville had of only beat central (who was still rebuilding from the 06 team) by 1 point at home. Instead of being dissapointed and being mad like they should of been they seemed perfectly happy with the result. To me the bunch from JC does not know how to win, this is Centrals year they need to make it count.
Just a question about the up coming talent for Valley:

Who is the core of this next group of big time players (is it just Dolton Richardson?) and can they replicate any of the history that has blessed Valley in recent years.
[SIZE="4"]
[COLOR="Blue"]Shelby Valley High School:
2009 and 2010 All "A" State Champions and 2010 Kentucky Sweet 16 State Champions
MaxPreps National Champions!![/SIZE][/COLOR][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
EYESPYJC Wrote:I know he's not a bad guy ... but he is not and never been able to control or take charge of his players. JC has the resources to hire a Coach instead of a good guy and turn this around ...what a shame that in his career the talent that has been wasted. I can find things good about JC ....Like the football program, see what I mean .........:Clap:

Nothing to me... but as a bystander looking on, it almost appears that he is not "allowed" to coach his time or enforce discipline as a normal coach would. Almost like he is not given full control over his team. That's just my take... I may be way off, but that's the way it appears to me.
EYESPYJC Wrote:JC is the worst coached team in the state !!!! and yet you all want to blame kids and parents ..... Maybe EE can pass out some bottles at tourney for everyone !!!! bye bye JC !!!!

Yes I sure will but I will have to special order your XXXXXXXXXL bottle for you since you haven't got off the bottle for what 6 or 7 years now? :baby::Sad04::yikes:

And yes it is the kids and partially the parents fault! If your kids loaf on the field I guarentee you will let them have it at home no matter who the coach is!!!
[quote=Eagle_Fan442]I missed being @ this game. First off I want to say Congrats to Brett Reynolds of Shelby Valley, from the radio it sounded like you had a pretty good night. As far as the Eagles go, I really don't think it's anybodys business if a parent gets their son a gatorade or checks on him to see if he's ok...that's why we are parents. Emotions get flared this time of year from players,fans,coaches and parents...yes everybody even the ones that want to set back and judge another parents doings, if not you wouldn't be on here.
It's time to step up guys, get your heads outta your butts and play some TEAM ball. I am a parent of one of the players and I'll be the first one to say take my kid out if he's playing stupid, it's not going to upset me and it shouldn't bother Mr.McKenzie to do the same to ANY other player on that team if they are playing stupid or just not playing TEAM ball, he has a deep bench that knows the game. ALL of these other schools would absolutely LOVE to see JC fail and it's up to this TEAM to see that they don't. Quit playing with these other teams and get serious....Go Eagles!!![/QUOTE]

That is my point!!! Glad to see some parents get it!!! I enjoy when Tanner comes in because he is gonna give it his all!! If all the players did this, JC will be playing at Rupp easily!!! I am going to miss him!!!!

And you, sir are the biggest coward in Johnson County! Quit hiding behind a computer and tell this to Coach McKenzie's face. It's people like you who get on a public forum such as this and try your best to bring him and the kids down and cause turmoil. You claim over and over that you have never bashed a kid on here but when you do things like this you are messing with kids. A team is a family, when you mess with 1 you mess with all. Shame on you, a grown man, for degrading someone like you do! Remember this, what goes around comes around. I pray for you! You must be perfect because I've always been taugh "let he who is without sin, cast the first stone" and you have cast an entire wall of stones.
PaintsvilleTigerfan Wrote:Gonna put this out there. Im not sure if I want to hear the response. But to me it seemed ridiculous that JC's players were celebrating like they did after the win. They got embarassed on their home floor by a buch that is 30 points less talented than them, heck paintsville still has the point spread advantage for a season in which jc should dominate. This would be like if the 08 team at paintsville had of only beat central (who was still rebuilding from the 06 team) by 1 point at home. Instead of being dissapointed and being mad like they should of been they seemed perfectly happy with the result. To me the bunch from JC does not know how to win, this is Centrals year they need to make it count.

I am a JC fan but this is a solid and correct quote. This group is much, much better than they have played. I will give it to the teams that have played them close or beat them, they just toke it to them and played hard. I am not here to bash Tommy, but a seasoned coach could take this group and be in Rupp easy. I agree, this group does not know how to win. This has to go back to the coaching. We can blame the administration or the kids, but great coaches manage around these issues and teach their kids to win and with class. This had not been done at JC in the last few years.
MonsterMan Wrote:I am a JC fan but this is a solid and correct quote. This group is much, much better than they have played. I will give it to the teams that have played them close or beat them, they just toke it to them and played hard. I am not here to bash Tommy, but a seasoned coach could take this group and be in Rupp easy. I agree, this group does not know how to win. This has to go back to the coaching. We can blame the administration or the kids, but great coaches manage around these issues and teach their kids to win and with class. This had not been done at JC in the last few years.

You do realize that for the last few years Shelby Valley has been in the 15th Region don't you? Everyone is acting like this years team has just given up! Tournament time hasn't even started and you seem to be writing us off already! Just because Central celebrated after a win over there biggest rival that gave them the #1 seed in the 57th district tournament doesn't mean they are classless! It means these kids and coaches worked their butts off to get to this point in the season. Sure, things haven't always went their way but I'm sure before the season started they had a few goals in mind and 1 of them was to be the #1 seed come tourney time. Congrats boys on your accomplishments so far, I look forward to many more this year! Don't let stuff like this effect you. STAY POSITIVE AND FOCUSED ON WHAT YOU WANT TO DO!