Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rumor: NASCAR losing the wing and bringing back the spoiler?
http://msn.foxsports.com/nascar/story/NA...car-010710
Quote:NASCAR held meetings with a select number of drivers and team owners at the R&D Center in Concord, N.C., on Thursday to discuss the best way for the sport to present itself to the public moving forward before the season starts.

But the sanctioning body has worked on more than just image in the offseason.

At the top of the list from the technical side appears to be searching for a solution to keep Sprint Cup cars from lifting off the track during a spin. Consequently, NASCAR could introduce a spoiler for the new car as early as the Bristol or Martinsville race, sources told FOXSports.com on Thursday.

The spoiler change is two-fold -- to keep cars from launching and in response to fans' dislike of the wing, according to sources.

Fans' dislike of the wing isn't really relevant, but if it keeps the car on the ground it's a very good idea. Ryan Newman, driver with an engineering degree, has already endorsed it:
Quote:“They need to decrease the lift off in the car when it’s going backwards,” Newman said. “Whatever they can do to do that in respect to the wing, and secondly, in regard to the roof flaps because reducing the lift when the car goes backwards is one thing but creating down force when the car goes backwards is another thing. The compensation of those two creates the net effect. But if you don’t have lift, then you don’t have to worry about the down force. I’m sure those are the things that they’re looking at.”

I refuse to repeat the rumor going around Sprint Sound & Speed in Nashville this afternoon that this would be referred to as the Dale Junior Rule. So read it here, because I won't mention it a second time. Confusedhh: