Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Rumor: NASCAR losing the wing and bringing back the spoiler?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
http://msn.foxsports.com/nascar/story/NA...car-010710
Quote:NASCAR held meetings with a select number of drivers and team owners at the R&D Center in Concord, N.C., on Thursday to discuss the best way for the sport to present itself to the public moving forward before the season starts.

But the sanctioning body has worked on more than just image in the offseason.

At the top of the list from the technical side appears to be searching for a solution to keep Sprint Cup cars from lifting off the track during a spin. Consequently, NASCAR could introduce a spoiler for the new car as early as the Bristol or Martinsville race, sources told FOXSports.com on Thursday.

The spoiler change is two-fold -- to keep cars from launching and in response to fans' dislike of the wing, according to sources.

Fans' dislike of the wing isn't really relevant, but if it keeps the car on the ground it's a very good idea. Ryan Newman, driver with an engineering degree, has already endorsed it:
Quote:“They need to decrease the lift off in the car when it’s going backwards,” Newman said. “Whatever they can do to do that in respect to the wing, and secondly, in regard to the roof flaps because reducing the lift when the car goes backwards is one thing but creating down force when the car goes backwards is another thing. The compensation of those two creates the net effect. But if you don’t have lift, then you don’t have to worry about the down force. I’m sure those are the things that they’re looking at.”

I refuse to repeat the rumor going around Sprint Sound & Speed in Nashville this afternoon that this would be referred to as the Dale Junior Rule. So read it here, because I won't mention it a second time. Confusedhh:
If it means no more airborne cars then I'm for it. Hate to see NASCAR wait til someone gets killed before they fix the problem.
Heard that this morning on the radio. I like it a lot.
I think NASCAR needs to do away with the COT and perfect things from there.
Hows your car ? Well its identical to yours.lol If yours is running good then you know how ours are running. If you know how your car takes to the track you know how well ours will preform. There's a few things they can change ya but every team also makes those same changes at the same time. Now its like the re stricter plate covers the whole car. They should have known no one likes the re stricter plate racing & the cot makes them even more alike.
Captain Backdoor Wrote:I think NASCAR needs to do away with the COT and perfect things from there.

The new cars have saved some guys from debilitating injuries or death since its introduction. Much, much better than the old cars, no matter what's bolted to the trunk.

Of course, they could have just boosted the wing up a little higher . . .

[Image: 43petty.jpg]
fans dislike of the wing... i find that kind of funny seeing as how all i see when i drive down the road is all of these cars with a very similar looking wing on them. i dont know, maybe it is in opposition to that.
Ive always said that the COT wouldnt be bad looking if not for that hideous wing on the back. I always felt like NASCAR put the wing on there to try to appeal to the younger kids driving those "Fast & The Furious" cars with the big spoilers and the "Ticked off weedeater" exhaust. Wings are for open wheel cars(Except the legendary Superbird of course). Stock Cars have spoilers. Now if they could just get rid of those stupid splitters on the front the COT would be a cool looking car. I know driver safety should come first. But if the cars look like bright colored turds going around the track people arent going to like them as much hence the fan drop off in the last few years.
i dont think the drop off in fans the past few years is because of the COT. by design or stupidity, they have tried to court new fans... especially out west "prime markets" by taking races from traditional tracks (rockingham) and sending them west in turn this has turned off alot of their base fans. there has also been alot of rule changes that has upset old school race fans.
johnnyt Wrote:i dont think the drop off in fans the past few years is because of the COT. by design or stupidity, they have tried to court new fans... especially out west "prime markets" by taking races from traditional tracks (rockingham) and sending them west in turn this has turned off alot of their base fans. there has also been alot of rule changes that has upset old school race fans.
I agree 100% But IMO the COT was the nail in the coffin for alot of folks. What always set NASCAR apart from other sports and other racing series was that they were racing the cars that alot of folks had in their driveways so people could relate to it better. Before the Common Template and the COT the cars at least looked a little bit like a Chevy or a Ford. Now the only way you can tell one car from the other is by the decal on the front of the car.
I could careless about the COT. NASCAR should go back to the luminas and thunderbirds, it was actually fun to watch then. Plus you could tell one car from another.