Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Orlando Tubby Smith - "Firsts and Worsts"
alfus21 Wrote:Tubby Smith @ UK.

259-78 (77% winning)

If the season ended today that means Tubby would be averaging 26 wins and 8 losses per season at UK.

5 SEC titles, 5 SEC tournament titles. In the SEC Tournament, he's 19-4 at UK

In 2005, he joined Roy Williams, Nolan Richardson, Denny Crum and Jim Boeheim as the fifth head coach to win 365 games in 15 seasons or less. Smith's career record is now 383-140, and his .733 winning percentage is eighth among active coaches entering the 2006-07 season.

He totaled 100 wins quicker than any other Wildcat coach except Hall of Famer Adolph Rupp, reaching the plateau in 130 games.

4 Elite 8 appearances aside from winning the National Title in 1998. When winning in 1998, this team had lost it's 3 leading scorers from the 1997 team that Rick Pitino couldn't win with.

3 National Coach of the Year Awards 1998, 2003, 2005.

Losses come a lot easier when the SEC actually can play a little bit now. A lot of UK fans are so unrealistic about expectations because Kentucky has played in one of the weakest conferences year in and year out in history.

Losses come easier also when Tubby beefs up the schedule year in and year out.
This season #2 SOS
Last season #15 SOS
2005 season #24 SOS
2004 season #21 SOS
2003 season - No strength number given, but played #20 Gonzaga, #12 North Carolina, #21 Michigan State, #6 Indiana, #18 Tennessee, #10 Notre Dame, #24 Auburn, #15 Alabama, #1 Florida, #20 Georgia and others. This was without a doubt the toughest schedule in the country.

*Prince was an All American twice under Tubby Smith.
*Bogans was an All American in 2003.

You people don't like Tubby that's fine. It's not going to do anything so it doesn't really matter. I think we're lucky to have a coach that can put a good team on the floor each and every game to compete. With the exception of last year the Tubby era hasn't been bad at all except in the eyes of fans with unrealistic expectations that were made by Rick Pitino. I can agree that he what he did was great, and if he would have stayed then who knows what may have happened. But Tubby Smith has done a great job of putting Kentucky in a good position to make a run each year. In 2003-2005 he won 67 games while only losing 15, for a winning % of 82.

Funny that only UK fans don't understand the parity in college basketball in this day and age.

This isn't the old days where the same teams go to the final four year in and year out. It's a lot harder now as shown last season.

The traditional powers that are UK, Duke, Indiana, Louisville, etc. are now on the same playing field with almost any other team now because the talent level is higher than ever.

You don't like Tubby. That's fine, because me along with 23,000 others will fill Rupp for every home game and cheer when his name is announced every time.
Excellent post, alfus. Kind of looks similar to the one I posted in the other Tubby Thread. :thatsfunn I may not be the biggest Tubby fan, but like you, I will cheer for Tubby as long as his named is announced. I Bleed Blue Through and Through!!!!!!!
Messages In This Thread
Orlando Tubby Smith - "Firsts and Worsts" - by StrikeoutKing - 02-15-2007, 05:54 PM