Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Orlando Tubby Smith - "Firsts and Worsts"
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Here's a few 'achievements' the great coach of the nation's winningest basketball program has compiled during his tenure at KENTUCKY.....and to think there's still people out there willing to argue for his continuation as basketball coach.

*Tied the school record for consecutive years (8) not appearing in the Final Four.

*First (and only) coach to have 2 consecutive 10+ loss seasons.

*First (and only) coach to have 3 consecutive 10+ loss seasons.

*Only coach to have 10+ losses in 4 out of 7 years except the Sutton/Probation era of 1985-1990.

*First season sweep by Vandy in 30 years.

*First time losing 3 in a row to Vandy since ?.

*First loss to Ole Miss in Lexington since 1927.

*First (and only) coach to have 4 SEC losses in one year in Rupp Arena.

*First time losing four straight to an SEC opponent since 1980.

*First time losing five straight to an SEC opponent since 1977.

*Worst home loss since 1992 (105-88 to Arkansas).

*Worst Senior Day loss since 1919.

*First third place SEC finish since expansion.

*First time UK had to play on the opening day of the SEC Tournament since the league split into divisional play (1992).

*First loss in 19 semifinal appearances since the SEC revived its tournament in 1979.

*Eliminated in the second round of the NCAA tournament two of the last three years.

*Their 10-5 overall record at Rupp in 2005-06 stands as its second-worst mark in UK history, better only than going 8-6 in 1988-89.

*First coach never to have either an athletic or academic All-American.

*Two 'Team Turmoils'

*Worst number of weeks having a team ranked #1 (1).

*47% of players do not see their Senior year at UK. (17 of the 37 players Tubby has recruited have left the team for various reasons)

......and the list grows each season.
Would love to see the reply to this one!
I would like to see the First's in the positive apect of Tubby! Only one I could think of would be the first black coach to win a National Championship at Kentucky!
PLAYBOY5 Wrote:Only one I could think of would be the first black coach to win a National Championship at Kentucky!

....and that was with RICK'S PLAYERS

Tubby HAS NEVER recruited a player during his 17 year coaching career that ever played in a FINAL FOUR.

So much for Tub's recruiting expertise.
This is classic. I'll drive by TLT's house today and let you know if a for sale sign appeared overnight. He needs to go. Time for a change.
Didn't realize it was that bad. Maybe something does need to be done.
15thRegionX Wrote:Didn't realize it was that bad. Maybe something does need to be done.

It's like the old saying "education is the best cure for ignorance". Sadly enough, there are some Tubbyites out there that refuse a 'free' education.

BTW....I'm waiting for someone to post some positive 'Tubby Firsts and Bests'. It could be a long wait.

Also, as most basketball fans remember, Doh at UNC has some dubious 'Firsts and Worsts' and the higher ups at unc decided to do something about the embarrassment. Their 'NEW COACH' wins the national championship two years later and has the program back in the TOP TEN with another TOP TEN recruiting class coming in next year. Now why can't Barney and Lee be that smart??? TUBBY MUST GO!.
Grassy Knoll Sniper Wrote:....and that was with RICK'S PLAYERS

Tubby HAS NEVER recruited a player during his 17 year coaching career that ever played in a FINAL FOUR.

So much for Tub's recruiting expertise.

Exactly, he won that championship with the players that Pitino recruited and coached. I always knew that tubby never really was doing a good job at UK, but those worsts that were pointed out, just made me realize its that much worse.:ChairHit:
Tubby Smith @ UK.

259-78 (77% winning)

If the season ended today that means Tubby would be averaging 26 wins and 8 losses per season at UK.

5 SEC titles, 5 SEC tournament titles. In the SEC Tournament, he's 19-4 at UK

In 2005, he joined Roy Williams, Nolan Richardson, Denny Crum and Jim Boeheim as the fifth head coach to win 365 games in 15 seasons or less. Smith's career record is now 383-140, and his .733 winning percentage is eighth among active coaches entering the 2006-07 season.

He totaled 100 wins quicker than any other Wildcat coach except Hall of Famer Adolph Rupp, reaching the plateau in 130 games.

4 Elite 8 appearances aside from winning the National Title in 1998. When winning in 1998, this team had lost it's 3 leading scorers from the 1997 team that Rick Pitino couldn't win with.

3 National Coach of the Year Awards 1998, 2003, 2005.

Losses come a lot easier when the SEC actually can play a little bit now. A lot of UK fans are so unrealistic about expectations because Kentucky has played in one of the weakest conferences year in and year out in history.

Losses come easier also when Tubby beefs up the schedule year in and year out.
This season #2 SOS
Last season #15 SOS
2005 season #24 SOS
2004 season #21 SOS
2003 season - No strength number given, but played #20 Gonzaga, #12 North Carolina, #21 Michigan State, #6 Indiana, #18 Tennessee, #10 Notre Dame, #24 Auburn, #15 Alabama, #1 Florida, #20 Georgia and others. This was without a doubt the toughest schedule in the country.

*Prince was an All American twice under Tubby Smith.
*Bogans was an All American in 2003.

You people don't like Tubby that's fine. It's not going to do anything so it doesn't really matter. I think we're lucky to have a coach that can put a good team on the floor each and every game to compete. With the exception of last year the Tubby era hasn't been bad at all except in the eyes of fans with unrealistic expectations that were made by Rick Pitino. I can agree that he what he did was great, and if he would have stayed then who knows what may have happened. But Tubby Smith has done a great job of putting Kentucky in a good position to make a run each year. In 2003-2005 he won 67 games while only losing 15, for a winning % of 82.

Funny that only UK fans don't understand the parity in college basketball in this day and age.

This isn't the old days where the same teams go to the final four year in and year out. It's a lot harder now as shown last season.

The traditional powers that are UK, Duke, Indiana, Louisville, etc. are now on the same playing field with almost any other team now because the talent level is higher than ever.

You don't like Tubby. That's fine, because me along with 23,000 others will fill Rupp for every home game and cheer when his name is announced every time.
alfus21 Wrote:Tubby Smith @ UK.

259-78 (77% winning)

If the season ended today that means Tubby would be averaging 26 wins and 8 losses per season at UK.

In 2005, he joined Roy Williams, Nolan Richardson, Denny Crum and Jim Boeheim as the fifth head coach to win 365 games in 15 seasons or less. Smith's career record is now 383-140, and his .733 winning percentage is eighth among active coaches entering the 2006-07 season.

He totaled 100 wins quicker than any other Wildcat coach except Hall of Famer Adolph Rupp, reaching the plateau in 130 games.

4 Elite 8 appearances aside from winning the National Title in 1998. When winning in 1998, this team had lost it's 3 leading scorers from the 1997 team that Rick Pitino couldn't win with.

Losses come a lot easier when the SEC actually can play a little bit now. A lot of UK fans are so unrealistic about expectations because Kentucky has played in one of the weakest conferences year in and year out in history.

This season #2 SOS
Last season #15 SOS
2005 season #24 SOS
2004 season #21 SOS
2003 season - No strength number given, but played #20 Gonzaga, #12 North Carolina, #21 Michigan State, #6 Indiana, #18 Tennessee, #10 Notre Dame, #24 Auburn, #15 Alabama, #1 Florida, #20 Georgia and others. This was without a doubt the toughest schedule in the country.

You people don't like Tubby that's fine. It's not going to do anything so it doesn't really matter. I think we're lucky to have a coach that can put a good team on the floor each and every game to compete. With the exception of last year the Tubby era hasn't been bad at all except in the eyes of fans with unrealistic expectations that were made by Rick Pitino. I can agree that he what he did was great, and if he would have stayed then who knows what may have happened. But Tubby Smith has done a great job of putting Kentucky in a good position to make a run each year. In 2003-2005 he won 67 games while only losing 15, for a winning % of 82.

Funny that only UK fans don't understand the parity in college basketball in this day and age.

This isn't the old days where the same teams go to the final four year in and year out. It's a lot harder now as shown last season.

The traditional powers that are UK, Duke, Indiana, Louisville, etc. are now on the same playing field with almost any other team now because the talent level is higher than ever.

You don't like Tubby. That's fine, because me along with 23,000 others will fill Rupp for every home game and cheer when his name is announced every time.

Great post...

259-78 (77% winning)

This season #2 SOS
Last season #15 SOS
2005 season #24 SOS
2004 season #21 SOS

Pretty good numbers. Nice Post.:Thumbs:
http://espn.go.com/dickvitale/070103vita...tucky.html

Vitale article on the under-appreciation of a great coach like Tubby Smith.
Tubby Smith is SPECTACULAR. on AND off the court. He is the man for the UK job...
corndog23 Wrote:Tubby Smith is SPECTACULAR. on AND off the court. He is the man for the UK job...

:thumpsup: No doubt about that. He represents the university very well, and puts a good product on the floor in my opinion. Rondo and Sparks were just a plague last season. This season isn't going as bad as some of the Tubby bashers like.

259-78 (77% winning)

This season #2 SOS
Last season #15 SOS
2005 season #24 SOS
2004 season #21 SOS

I would have to say that is an awesome post, like the end the most though!

259-78 (77% winning)

This season #2 SOS
Last season #15 SOS
2005 season #24 SOS
2004 season #21 SOS

excellent post and at the florida game i think it was closer to 24,000 going crazy when they call his name.
alfus21 Wrote:You don't like Tubby. That's fine, because me along with 23,000 others will fill Rupp for every home game and cheer when his name is announced every time.
you like him great , but i dont and you cant make me believe that everyone of those 23,000 are yelling for him . A change needs to be made if not Tubby then get some new assistants David Hobbs is not much and if Reggie was so good you would think he would have moved on by now . I dont know if its them or not that needs to go , but something has to be done .We are KENTUCKY and like it or not that comes with enormous expectations and pressure to win by fans .What can I say we have been spoiled for 50 + years . Some like him some dont but believe me the #s are growing dailey against him. Numerous coaches and players around the league in interviews i.e. Big Baby and Rick Barnes ( who is from Kentucky ) are saying what alot of the country is to. That the name Kentucky no longer stricks fear in other teams . Billy Donovan in his interview when asked about UK's comeback said " our team didnt do this didnt do that and I give the Kentucky kids credit for hanging in there and playing a good game " maybe not those exact words but it come off to me like we was some Mid Major team lucky to even be in the same gym . This is embarrassing to me and i say alot more , and before someone says that i shouldnt be a fan or I am a fair weather fan .I was a fan when Rupp was here always been a fan always will be a fan no matter who is coaching . My thoughs are that someone has to go . Who am I this is JMO but that and a nickle will get you a piece of candy at the store.
The Fan Wrote:you like him great , but i dont and you cant make me believe that everyone of those 23,000 are yelling for him . A change needs to be made if not Tubby then get some new assistants David Hobbs is not much and if Reggie was so good you would think he would have moved on by now . I dont know if its them or not that needs to go , but something has to be done .We are KENTUCKY and like it or not that comes with enormous expectations and pressure to win by fans .What can I say we have been spoiled for 50 + years . Some like him some dont but believe me the #s are growing dailey against him. Numerous coaches and players around the league in interviews i.e. Big Baby and Rick Barnes ( who is from Kentucky ) are saying what alot of the country is to. That the name Kentucky no longer stricks fear in other teams . Billy Donovan in his interview when asked about UK's comeback said " our team didnt do this didnt do that and I give the Kentucky kids credit for hanging in there and playing a good game " maybe not those exact words but it come off to me like we was some Mid Major team lucky to even be in the same gym . This is embarrassing to me and i say alot more , and before someone says that i shouldnt be a fan or I am a fair weather fan .I was a fan when Rupp was here always been a fan always will be a fan no matter who is coaching . My thoughs are that someone has to go . Who am I this is JMO but that and a nickle will get you a piece of candy at the store.

I don't need to make you believe.I'm there every single game and hear the cheers when he is called. Either way, Rupp fills up every game, regadless of the Tubby bashers that have refused to make their way out to Rupp to see this product Coach Smith puts on the floor.

And since when did Big Baby merrit any conversation about Kentucky? You see how his team is doing this year after he said that?

"I am so proud of the win because we found a way to win the game. Give Kentucky credit, they made some great plays at the end. I thought our guys fought, they battled, they found a way to win the game in a very difficult environment and I was very, very proud of them.” - Billy D after UK game.

"Then I think it got up to 14 or 15 and you know they (Kentucky) are going to make a run at you." Billy D.

No team fears any team anymore in college basketball.This isn't the 1970's. Teams are on the same level now. You think George Mason feared any team last year just because they were George Mason? Or that Oral Roberts feared the Kansas name when the beat them at their place earlier this season? Or that anybody fears the name Duke when they play at Cameron anymore? Because they don't. Fear is non-existant in today's game regardless of the name on the jersey.
The Fan Wrote:you like him great , but i dont and you cant make me believe that everyone of those 23,000 are yelling for him . A change needs to be made if not Tubby then get some new assistants David Hobbs is not much and if Reggie was so good you would think he would have moved on by now . I dont know if its them or not that needs to go , but something has to be done .We are KENTUCKY and like it or not that comes with enormous expectations and pressure to win by fans .What can I say we have been spoiled for 50 + years . Some like him some dont but believe me the #s are growing dailey against him. Numerous coaches and players around the league in interviews i.e. Big Baby and Rick Barnes ( who is from Kentucky ) are saying what alot of the country is to. That the name Kentucky no longer stricks fear in other teams . Billy Donovan in his interview when asked about UK's comeback said " our team didnt do this didnt do that and I give the Kentucky kids credit for hanging in there and playing a good game " maybe not those exact words but it come off to me like we was some Mid Major team lucky to even be in the same gym . This is embarrassing to me and i say alot more , and before someone says that i shouldnt be a fan or I am a fair weather fan .I was a fan when Rupp was here always been a fan always will be a fan no matter who is coaching . My thoughs are that someone has to go . Who am I this is JMO but that and a nickle will get you a piece of candy at the store.
GREAT POST!
PLAYBOY5 Wrote:GREAT POST!

I'd love to see you actually say something other than saying 'great post' to what these people have to say. Easy to have people speak for you though isn't it? You completely ignored the fact that you said earlier you'd love for somebody to post one positive aspect. They did, and you acted like it didn't happen. Selective reading maybe?

Hilarity has ensued ever since Grassy Knoll Sniper posted his first message on here. Especially this one.

Kentucky basketball is fine. No need to panic.

259-78 (77% winning)

This season #2 SOS
Last season #15 SOS
2005 season #24 SOS
2004 season #21 SOS

Excellent post, alfus. Kind of looks similar to the one I posted in the other Tubby Thread. :thatsfunn I may not be the biggest Tubby fan, but like you, I will cheer for Tubby as long as his named is announced. I Bleed Blue Through and Through!!!!!!!
StrikeoutKing Wrote:Excellent post, alfus. Kind of looks similar to the one I posted in the other Tubby Thread. :thatsfunn I may not be the biggest Tubby fan, but like you, I will cheer for Tubby as long as his named is announced. I Bleed Blue Through and Through!!!!!!!

:thumpsup:
Disco Stu Wrote:I'd love to see you actually say something other than saying 'great post' to what these people have to say. Easy to have people speak for you though isn't it? You completely ignored the fact that you said earlier you'd love for somebody to post one positive aspect. They did, and you acted like it didn't happen. Selective reading maybe?

Hilarity has ensued ever since Grassy Knoll Sniper posted his first message on here. Especially this one.

Kentucky basketball is fine. No need to panic.
I tell you one thing, I can quote who I want when I want and can speak for myself. Did I say that I will quote on the positive aspect. Is there anything wrong with selective reading? Is this my thread? NO! So don't make me look like an ***! I could give a **** regardless. Kentucky is a has been program just like alot of other programs. Keep Tubby or not, I don't care. But don't throw shots at me pal!:moon: There is your Hilarity!Confusedhh:
ah hell with it man, leave Tubby there. I guess 22-10 is the new standard at UK. And people can say what they want about Pitino, he brought a program back from the dead, went to THREE final fours, and two national championships, winning one, and done it in six seasons (the 89-90 and 90-91 teams were on probation), which is a hell of a lot more than Tubby fans can say he's done in 9 seasons, oh yeah, inheriting the absolute best position in the country. Those are the only numbers that matters. Final fours and championships are the only numbers that matter. Yes, Tubby represents the university very well, off the court, and I absolutely DO NOT hold anything against his character because he is a class act, second to none. However, I do not think he is the man who should be fronting UK. Im not a Tubby basher, and I would rather have him than 80% of the coaches out there. But UK shouldnt settle for a "good coach". They deserve better. No, UK will not be getting rid of him, and no matter what petitions are out there to sign, he'll be on the sidelines next year and the years to follow. Doesnt mean the fans have to like it though.
PLAYBOY5 Wrote:I tell you one thing, I can quote who I want when I want and can speak for myself. Did I say that I will quote on the positive aspect. Is there anything wrong with selective reading? Is this my thread? NO! So don't make me look like an ***! I could give a **** regardless. Kentucky is a has been program just like alot of other programs. Keep Tubby or not, I don't care. But don't throw shots at me pal!:moon: There is your Hilarity!Confusedhh:
TidesHoss32 Wrote:ah hell with it man, leave Tubby there. I guess 22-10 is the new standard at UK. And people can say what they want about Pitino, he brought a program back from the dead, went to THREE final fours, and two national championships, winning one, and done it in six seasons (the 89-90 and 90-91 teams were on probation), which is a hell of a lot more than Tubby fans can say he's done in 9 seasons, oh yeah, inheriting the absolute best position in the country. Those are the only numbers that matters. Final fours and championships are the only numbers that matter. Yes, Tubby represents the university very well, off the court, and I absolutely DO NOT hold anything against his character because he is a class act, second to none. However, I do not think he is the man who should be fronting UK. Im not a Tubby basher, and I would rather have him than 80% of the coaches out there. But UK shouldnt settle for a "good coach". They deserve better. No, UK will not be getting rid of him, and no matter what petitions are out there to sign, he'll be on the sidelines next year and the years to follow. Doesnt mean the fans have to like it though.
Need I say anything else AS TIDESHOSS32 SPOKE FOR ME AND EVERY OTHER UK FAN WHO AGREES THAT THE PROGRAM IS MEDIOCRE AT BEST AND HAS BEEN FOR THE PAST 7-8 YEARS.
Mediocre might be an understatement.
LOL, very true Beef!
I'm still waiting for someone to post some positive Tubby 'Firsts'. Please start out your post by "Tubby is the first UK coach to.............blah blah blah"...and please state facts, not opinions about his coaching record ....and please keep the 'firsts' discussing his record only, as I did discussing his negative firsts and worsts. I'll be waiting.
Just to show I'm fair with this, I'll help you Tubby lovers out by starting it off.

Tubby is the first UK coach to win a National Championship with another coach's players (see Pitino).

Now, please continue with more POSITIVE Tubby 'firsts'. If Tubby is this 'great' coach you guys say he is, you'll have as many positive items about his record as I had negative ones.
Beef Wrote:Mediocre might be an understatement.

Fair to average at best.
Pages: 1 2