Thread Closed
Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 4.2 Average
Boyle County 32 Corbin 26 (4A State Championship)
(12-06-2022, 12:07 PM)Hatz Wrote: Just a curious question for the post game talk here.  One of the great debates seems to be why Greer never changed things up with blitzes and different fronts. 

Perhaps he was afraid to put Quisenberry and Dawson in open space.  When he blitzed the risk/reward is to get to the QB and disrupt him.  But if it fails it puts great pressure on the Secondary if the two I mentioned above get into space.  Quisenberry even noted in the post game that on the TD play that was called back for a hold, he saw how that side of the Defense was reacting and wanted to go back there again.  So the next play, Boyle did just that and Q said what he saw in space the first play helped him in twisting and turning to the TD on the next play. 

Just curious thoughts.
Lets look at this. Go to the first half. Greer decides to punt on a 4th and 2 on the 40 or 41 with around 4 minutes before halfime with a tied score. You know, Quisenberry is receiving. So Corbin punts, Quisenberry catches it at the 26 and runs it back to the 45 of Boyle. Corbin just had the ball 15 yards away a second ago. Thats food for thought. Now getting to your example above, Corbins defense has to stop Boyle and not let them score. Heres what I saw from Boyle. 

Corbins defense with Boyle inside Corbin territory. 

Empty backfield Bunch QB run 11 yards  
Corbin facing a 1st and 10 on the 41
Bunch Right Empty QB run 3 yards 
 Corbin facing 3 yards 2cd 7 on the 38
Wildcat 22 direct snap Bodner run 5 yard run
Corbin facing a  2cd and 7 on the 33
Full House Set 
Corbin facing Boyle needing to get a 3rd and 1 
Boyle another Full House Set    Corbin enters Franklin West and Eli Bolton for that play 
To get a 1st down and Boyle got the first.

Boyle 1st and 10 on the 30 runs Trips right 1 yd pass to Quisenberry
Corbin facing a 2cd and 9 on the 29
Boyle runs Gun Tight pass to End Zone, there is a wide open reciever at bottom and he wasn't seen. 
Corbin now has Boyle facing a 3rd and 9 on the 29     Clock is at 1:46 2cd quarter
Boyle runs what looks like a shotgun I QB run 
Corbin is facing a 4th and 3 on the 23 Clock now is at :33 seconds

Boyle lines up in a Wildcat with Bodner, this is a huge play and I'll bet you a million bucks its going to be a run play  Smile Now getting to your question with all that. Corbin other than the Full House set above, runs a 4-4 every set that Haddix throws at him. No blitz from the Linebackers when there was empty backfields, and specifically on this play, you look out and see a wildcat formation and most likely a run. Let me ask you do you walk up 4 linebackers and take a chance? do you not spread out your other 2 linebackers closer to the edge, to me, when you havn't not got 1 single stop and Boyle is driving, you have to try at least to disrupt the offense with a change in defensive look, also I will add, Where is Franklin West and Eli Bolton on this play? Now I'm just putting stuff on here so you can go back and look at it. Its all facts. Watch the film Bodner gets the snap and even in the defense they are playing the 4-4, Bodner just makes a heck of a run to get the 3 yards. But to give Corbin a better chance to stop it, go look at Boyles defense when Corbin changes offensive sets, it was changing every time. Blitzes. Walking up Linebackers. 

Now you want to see something interesting I didn't see live, but when you watch the next play. I'll descibe it. 

Boyle has the 1st down and 10 and on the 19 yard line. Boyles offense goes with that Shotgun I set is what I call it and there is only :23 seconds remaining before halftime and when you watch this play, there is a hold on the Boyle player, now I know because I saw it and I asked my son, He played that same position of the player that held on that play, now the reason I bring that up, We all agree that refs miss calls and it is what it is, but at the time of ballgame, if that penalty is thrown, Boyle is backed up to the 29 and may not score. But lets just call it as it was, not a call and the next play Corbin actually has the bigs in on the play being West and Bolton and Boyle now goes to a Gun Tight formation and Corbn blitzes # 37 and this is what I saw, West goes to the left side of the play and the blitz goes in the left side also and when Bodner got that handoff, he goes in the endzone untouched. Now if you don't think this was a tight game and a game of inches, you just havn't seen the film. There was so much in the film it is unreal. This was a very good game, but again, a chess match.  But it being :16 seconds why not bitz both holes, now in defense to Corbin coaches on this play, this looked like possibly a miscommunication on that play, the lineman goes to the other hole then then that play may have ended differently.  Smile 

I also know, I am not a coach, I can make very good cup of coffee. This is all just food for thought. 

Also  the risk/ reward you can see it happeing to Boyle as well, Bodner interception or almost interception looked like a jumped route, and he does it again a play or 2 later and cant react to Brody Wells and Wells goes in for about a 40 yard touchdown reception. So yes, there is risk and rewards to making these types adjustments, but when you play conservative, a guy like Haddix will not only eat your lunch, he will steal your snacks and drink too.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Bull got out!'s post:
  • Deuce8
Messages In This Thread
RE: Boyle County 32 Corbin 26 (4A State Championship) - by Bull got out! - 12-06-2022, 01:32 PM