Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Beechwood 14 Mayfield 13 (2A State Championship)
(12-02-2022, 09:27 PM)rookie57 Wrote:
(12-02-2022, 09:11 PM)Old School Hound Wrote:
(12-02-2022, 08:50 PM)rookie57 Wrote: Well, I’m disappointed, but I think we represented well. Beechwood was very good, I really felt deep down we’d win, mayfield stops them 3 and out first possession, then marches 80 plus yards to the 1, didn’t make it on third down, got a penalty, then miss a 13 yard field goal. The kid had been really consistent all year. We score there,,, mighta been different, but we didn’t and that’s that. Props to beechwood, they are by far the best team we played this year.
Mayfield always represents well. Most successful program in this state in  terms of all-time wins .  This game eerily came down at the end in similar fashion to the Corbin-Mayfield title game at EKU in 1977.  Corbin scored to bring the score to 14-13 and decided to go for two and Freshman Roy Taylor was stopped six inches away from what would have given the Hounds a one-point victory.   Wonder if Coach Morris considered going for two?
I’m sure he did consider it but,NORMALLY, our kicker is a sure tie. We can second guess after the fact, but I’m sure he would consider it.

Didn't Beechwood's running back get injured on the previous series? I would think that would have had to weigh on the decision to play for the tie.
Messages In This Thread
RE: Beechwood 14 Mayfield 13 (2A State Championship) - by Walt Longmire - 12-02-2022, 09:37 PM