Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Beechwood 14 Mayfield 13 (2A State Championship)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Final.

Sad thing that extra point attempt would have been good on high school goal post.
Awesome game to watch!! I said in the prediction thread that this one had the potential to be a classic and a classic it was. 

Congrats to Beechwood. Shot themselves in the foot with penalties all game but still found a way to hang on for the win.

Great season for Mayfield as well. I was hoping they would bring the trophy home because that community deserved it after what they’ve been through. 

Tough break for the mayfield kicker. I feel bad for the kid. You always hate to see things like that in close games but it will be a coaching moment and an experience he will be able to benefit from. 

Man, what a game!!
Well, the Corbin game hasn't even begun yet and I'm already in a melancholy state of mind. Really, really wanted the Cardinals to win...
Well, I’m disappointed, but I think we represented well. Beechwood was very good, I really felt deep down we’d win, mayfield stops them 3 and out first possession, then marches 80 plus yards to the 1, didn’t make it on third down, got a penalty, then miss a 13 yard field goal. The kid had been really consistent all year. We score there,,, mighta been different, but we didn’t and that’s that. Props to beechwood, they are by far the best team we played this year.
I was really hoping Mayfield would go for 2 but the Cardinals played a heck of a game.

Congrats to Beechwood on another state title!!
Heartbreak for Mayfield!
No surprise Congratulations b-wood
I was hoping Mayfield would win, but it wasn't to be. Congrats Beechwood.
(12-02-2022, 08:50 PM)rookie57 Wrote: [ -> ]Well, I’m disappointed, but I think we represented well. Beechwood was very good, I really felt deep down we’d win, mayfield stops them 3 and out first possession, then marches 80 plus yards to the 1, didn’t make it on third down, got a penalty, then miss a 13 yard field goal. The kid had been really consistent all year. We score there,,, mighta been different, but we didn’t and that’s that. Props to beechwood, they are by far the best team we played this year.
Mayfield always represents well. Most successful program in this state in  terms of all-time wins .  This game eerily came down at the end in similar fashion to the Corbin-Mayfield title game at EKU in 1977.  Corbin scored to bring the score to 14-13 and decided to go for two and Freshman Roy Taylor was stopped six inches away from what would have given the Hounds a one-point victory.   Wonder if Coach Morris considered going for two?
So Beechwood has won 3 straight state championships by a total of 4 points. That has got to be a record.
(12-02-2022, 09:11 PM)Old School Hound Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-02-2022, 08:50 PM)rookie57 Wrote: [ -> ]Well, I’m disappointed, but I think we represented well. Beechwood was very good, I really felt deep down we’d win, mayfield stops them 3 and out first possession, then marches 80 plus yards to the 1, didn’t make it on third down, got a penalty, then miss a 13 yard field goal. The kid had been really consistent all year. We score there,,, mighta been different, but we didn’t and that’s that. Props to beechwood, they are by far the best team we played this year.
Mayfield always represents well. Most successful program in this state in  terms of all-time wins .  This game eerily came down at the end in similar fashion to the Corbin-Mayfield title game at EKU in 1977.  Corbin scored to bring the score to 14-13 and decided to go for two and Freshman Roy Taylor was stopped six inches away from what would have given the Hounds a one-point victory.   Wonder if Coach Morris considered going for two?
I’m sure he did consider it but,NORMALLY, our kicker is a sure tie. We can second guess after the fact, but I’m sure he would consider it.

(12-02-2022, 09:23 PM)Westside Wrote: [ -> ]So Beechwood has won 3 straight state championships by a total of 4 points.  That has got to be a record.
Wow, they must be living right, the football gods definitely wanted them to win. Lol
(12-02-2022, 09:27 PM)rookie57 Wrote: [ -> ]
I’m sure he did consider it but,NORMALLY, our kicker is a sure tie. We can second guess after the fact, but I’m sure he would consider it.

Didn't Beechwood's running back get injured on the previous series? I would think that would have had to weigh on the decision to play for the tie.

(12-02-2022, 09:23 PM)Westside Wrote: [ -> ]So Beechwood has won 3 straight state championships by a total of 4 points.  That has got to be a record.
Wow, they must be living right, the football gods definitely wanted them to win. Lol
If that's the case then the football gods can kiss my ass.
I was gonna stay and watch this one but my daughter had an archery tournament tonight. Sounds like it was a good one
Congratulations to the Tigers on the win. Feel very proud of this Cardinal team. Cinderella season wasn't made to be.
Congratulations to Beechnuts
Good, old school football game. Congrats to Beechwood!
(12-02-2022, 09:37 PM)Walt Longmire Wrote: [ -> ]

Didn't Beechwood's running back get injured on the previous series? I would think that would have had to weigh on the decision to play for the tie.
I think he did, and he’s a stud

(12-02-2022, 09:38 PM)Old School Hound Wrote: [ -> ]

If that's the case then the football gods can kiss my ass.
Lol
Mayfield should of went for the win. But losing by a point is heart breaking. Mayfield beat Williamsburg like that back in 2014. Beechwood seems to always be on the winning side of this issue.
(12-03-2022, 02:05 AM)bac2369 Wrote: [ -> ]Mayfield should of went for the win. But losing by a point is heart breaking. Mayfield beat Williamsburg like that back in 2014. Beechwood seems to always be on the winning side of this issue.
Yes they do, 3 straight by a total of 4 points
(12-03-2022, 02:45 AM)rookie57 Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-03-2022, 02:05 AM)bac2369 Wrote: [ -> ]Mayfield should of went for the win. But losing by a point is heart breaking. Mayfield beat Williamsburg like that back in 2014. Beechwood seems to always be on the winning side of this issue.
Yes they do, 3 straight by a total of 4 points

And a 1 point win over Pikeville, who missed a PAT, in 2018.
(12-02-2022, 09:23 PM)Westside Wrote: [ -> ]So Beechwood has won 3 straight state championships by a total of 4 points. That has got to be a record.

Actually Beechwood’s last 4 state titles have been won by a total of 5 points
2018 Beechwood 21-20 over Pikeville
2020 24-23 in OT over LCA
2021 23-21 over LCA
2022 14-13 over Mayfield

What a great game by 2 of the blue blood programs in the state of KY.
Hats off to Mayfield for getting back to the state finals after the devastation of the tornado last year. The Mayfield and Beechwood communities should be super proud of their teams and of themselves. It was a shame someone had to lose that game, and I can tell you as a Beechwood guy, the Tigers have nothing but respect for coach Joe Morris and his staff and team, they are well coached, tough, play hard and execute. That game was a war and at the end, both teams were first class….it was high school football as it should be played.
I got back late and didn’t get a chance to comment. What can you say, great season and great game. MHS had their chances. A few years back we would luck up and win a game like that by a point or two, now the luck has shifted. Sometimes it’s not how good or bad you are but, how lucky you are. That is just one of the things that makes this the greatest sport ever. I’m proud of my Cards and proud of Bwood. They played tough and acted with class.
Great job Tigers!!

Beechwood’s last 4 state titles they have won by a combined 5 points.

How about them Tigers! This is no disrespect to Mayfield. All we ever heard was Class A was weak. Beechwood should move up. Beechwood won’t ever win another title since Mayfield is in 2a. Well in 4 years in 2a Beechwood has won 3 straight titles with a semi finals appearance. So is 2a weak now? Should the Tigers move up to 3a now in which they won’t!
(12-04-2022, 01:30 AM)Sportsfan4646 Wrote: [ -> ]

How about them Tigers! This is no disrespect to Mayfield. All we ever heard was Class A was weak. Beechwood should move up. Beechwood won’t ever win another title since Mayfield is in 2a. Well in 4 years in 2a Beechwood has won 3 straight titles with a semi finals appearance. So is 2a weak now? Should the Tigers move up to 3a now in which they won’t!
Top of 2A I don’t think is weak at all. I would say both Beechwood and LCA were top 5 in the state in 2021.

People said the same thing when Mayfield was in 1A. We moved up and won the first year. Anybody that knows football would never say that about Beechwood or Mayfield.

I get what you are saying but Beechwood would have had their hands full with Pikeville in the last 2 seasons had they still been in 1A and those  would have been good games.  The 2A Beechwood is winning now is basically the 1A they dominated during the 90’s in the 4 class system so it should come as no surprise they are still bringing home titles.
(12-04-2022, 01:30 AM)Sportsfan4646 Wrote: [ -> ]Beechwood’s last 4 state titles they have won by a combined 5 points.

Wow!!! I did not know that but they obviously know how to win close games when it counts. Congrats Beechwood, heck of a program they have and that was a fun game to watch. Like it or not, the 5ft smaller college goalposts definitely create a little more drama on the biggest stage for KY HS football.
Beechwood kicker made 2
Pages: 1 2