Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Pikeville Vs Raceland (KHSAA 1A State Championship)
(11-27-2022, 12:15 PM)i82much Wrote:
(11-26-2022, 05:13 PM)16thregioner Wrote: What Raceland has done is great.  Schools, facilities, and a dedicated sports-minded community that are second to none in the area.  The only rival at this point would be Ironton in Ohio.  Both wear orange and black.  Separated by only 5 miles.  Ironically, both play for a state title Friday morning, Ironton at 10:30 and Raceland at noon.  The only difference I see is that Raceland has an easier path to a state title game and Ironton seems to have more connections if players want to play at the next level.  Depends on what you’re looking for, but those 2 have lapped the other football programs in the area.  Those watching the off the field “arms race” as Ram-a-Devil called it will be watching the results of those 2 state title games as the results could influence some of the next generation of parents and players in our area.

I assume Pikeville has a similar “arms race” that they’ve been winning in their area for years.

I've lived in the 16th region my entire life and in Raceland almost three decades. Raceland, along with Greenup, Ashland, and Russell hold a special place in my heart. That said, Raceland definitely hasn't "lapped" the other schools in our area. The ultimate measure of a program is winning a championship. The truth is the path to a football championship in Kentucky is relatively easy compared to most states due to having six classes and a small population...our students per class ratio is ridiculously small and we play in the smallest class yet we always seem to come up just short.  It seems like there's always that one team...and it's currently Pikeville.
Facilities are great but heck, Cov Cath didn't have stadium lights until I believe 2017? The ultimate measure is winning championships, not facilities. I'd rather spend Friday nights playing in a sandlot if we win titles. I hope this year we get over the hump but Pikeville is making me think it's going to be the same old story....
I use to think the same way. As I e gotten older and I would say more ….open eyed about the reality of what we have in Raceland compared to other places. Not having a state championship doesn’t bother me anymore. Think of it like this. Pairs ….you seen how hard that program has fallen. Would you trade the program for a championship? Pairs has 3 and at one time had the winningest coach in the state. Look where they’re at now. I think the goal for Raceland moving forward should be week 14. You make it to week 14 every year and play the day after thanksgiving at home where the community can come together and make memories…. Week 15 is just a bonus game. We are putting quality young men out into the real world. We are winning far more than we are losing. If we enjoy the ride more then the destination then you really learn to appreciate what you have. Did anyone see some of the Raceland seniors crying last Friday after the win?You know why they were crying??? It’s the last time they will ever play on their field.They have to pay to get in that stadium the next time they come to a game. As sick as this sounds …..thy was beautiful to me cause it’s been a long time since we’ve had a group like this at Raceland and I’m not talking about the winning aspect. Friday is a bonus….the next game is for the boys and the boys only!
[-] The following 2 users Like RAMDAD50's post:
  • Jarons, Orange Blaze
Messages In This Thread
RE: Pikeville Vs Raceland (KHSAA 1A State Championship) - by RAMDAD50 - 11-27-2022, 12:34 PM