Thread Closed
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Best 15th Region Program in last 10 years
No offense BelfryPride, but Belfry really hasn't had the coaching ability to do anything with that talent they had. Boo Hager, Bo Varney, David Reed, and Dustin Maynard should have all been college-bound baseball players. Coach Casey did nothing for them to get them some attention from recruiters, and right before school would go out, or when it was too late he would mention a tryout at Alice Lloyd.

As far as I know, Boo Hager is having a heckuva career at WV State University. David Reed may be playing for Pikeville College this year, David Hatfield made the team at Alice Lloyd, but I haven't heard much about anyone but Boo. They had plenty of talent of the past 10 years, but definitely not the coaching to back it up and make them great.

Coach Casey is a wonderful basketball coach, but granted he admitted to never playing baseball in his life, he was definitely not a good baseball coach.

I look to see the new coach, Michael Hagy, really step up this program a bit in the near future. He played college ball for Marshall, and played in the Summer league at Cape Cod like in the movie, Summer Catch. He could have gone pro with some team (don't remember which he said) but he felt he wasn't gonna be paid enough. So, he turned down the offer, and became a Special Ed teacher at Belfry--don't understand that reasoning, but everyone makes mistakes. But, I do look for him to turn Belfry into a Region contender every year.

Give him some time. With these new facilities coming with the new school, the baseball team will actaully not get "crapped on" for once and have decent facilities to use. God knows I love old "Hardy Park", but it is the crappiest field in the Region by a longshot. And if Coach Hagy can keep the football team from practicing on the baseball field, I look to see this program tun into a first-rate program.
Messages In This Thread
Best 15th Region Program in last 10 years - by dominator05 - 01-20-2005, 09:35 PM