Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Best 15th Region Program in last 10 years
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Well it is obivious that it is either Paintsville, Pikeville, or Johnson Central....who does everyone thinks sits at the top?
Probably Pikeville.
I would go with Pikeville also, though JC and Paintsville have been real good too. The Pikeville teams of the late 90s were awesome, as was the 2004 JC team.
But like you stated, the 90's as a whole were great for Pikeville. Although Central had a great team in '04 and had good teams in the 90's, I still think Pikeville's 90's teams could beat any of JC's teams. That's just my opinion though.
"blackcatfan4life" Wrote:But like you stated, the 90's as a whole were great for Pikeville. Although Central had a great team in '04 and had good teams in the 90's, I still think Pikeville's 90's teams could beat any of JC's teams. That's just my opinion though.
No doubt. The 99 Pikeville team was a legit state contender. They were stacked. Anytime you beat the #2 team in the state(Boyd Co.) on their field in the sectionals then you are for real. That is the best team I have ever seen in the 15th Region, but I didn't get to see the Paintsville state championship team.
I think '99 was the year that Pike Central had a pretty good team. They had one if not the best catcher in the region, and a pretty good pitcher in Gump err Jon Bevins (I think).
"crazytaxidriver" Wrote:I think '99 was the year that Pike Central had a pretty good team. They had one if not the best catcher in the region, and a pretty good pitcher in Gump err Jon Bevins (I think).
Is this the same Gump guy that plays for Pikeville College now?
Pikeville...
"crazytaxidriver" Wrote:I think '99 was the year that Pike Central had a pretty good team. They had one if not the best catcher in the region, and a pretty good pitcher in Gump err Jon Bevins (I think).

Yeah Pikeville beat that Pike Cetral team 11-0 in 5 innings in the regional championship in 1999.
Yeah Beef it is.

Elkhorn City had a great team in '97.
Belfry has always had some pretty good baseball team sin the past, but never could really get over that hump....
No offense BelfryPride, but Belfry really hasn't had the coaching ability to do anything with that talent they had. Boo Hager, Bo Varney, David Reed, and Dustin Maynard should have all been college-bound baseball players. Coach Casey did nothing for them to get them some attention from recruiters, and right before school would go out, or when it was too late he would mention a tryout at Alice Lloyd.

As far as I know, Boo Hager is having a heckuva career at WV State University. David Reed may be playing for Pikeville College this year, David Hatfield made the team at Alice Lloyd, but I haven't heard much about anyone but Boo. They had plenty of talent of the past 10 years, but definitely not the coaching to back it up and make them great.

Coach Casey is a wonderful basketball coach, but granted he admitted to never playing baseball in his life, he was definitely not a good baseball coach.

I look to see the new coach, Michael Hagy, really step up this program a bit in the near future. He played college ball for Marshall, and played in the Summer league at Cape Cod like in the movie, Summer Catch. He could have gone pro with some team (don't remember which he said) but he felt he wasn't gonna be paid enough. So, he turned down the offer, and became a Special Ed teacher at Belfry--don't understand that reasoning, but everyone makes mistakes. But, I do look for him to turn Belfry into a Region contender every year.

Give him some time. With these new facilities coming with the new school, the baseball team will actaully not get "crapped on" for once and have decent facilities to use. God knows I love old "Hardy Park", but it is the crappiest field in the Region by a longshot. And if Coach Hagy can keep the football team from practicing on the baseball field, I look to see this program tun into a first-rate program.
"dominator05" Wrote:No offense BelfryPride, but Belfry really hasn't had the coaching ability to do anything with that talent they had. Boo Hager, Bo Varney, David Reed, and Dustin Maynard should have all been college-bound baseball players. Coach Casey did nothing for them to get them some attention from recruiters, and right before school would go out, or when it was too late he would mention a tryout at Alice Lloyd.

As far as I know, Boo Hager is having a heckuva career at WV State University. David Reed may be playing for Pikeville College this year, David Hatfield made the team at Alice Lloyd, but I haven't heard much about anyone but Boo. They had plenty of talent of the past 10 years, but definitely not the coaching to back it up and make them great.

Coach Casey is a wonderful basketball coach, but granted he admitted to never playing baseball in his life, he was definitely not a good baseball coach.

I look to see the new coach, Michael Hagy, really step up this program a bit in the near future. He played college ball for Marshall, and played in the Summer league at Cape Cod like in the movie, Summer Catch. He could have gone pro with some team (don't remember which he said) but he felt he wasn't gonna be paid enough. So, he turned down the offer, and became a Special Ed teacher at Belfry--don't understand that reasoning, but everyone makes mistakes. But, I do look for him to turn Belfry into a Region contender every year.

Give him some time. With these new facilities coming with the new school, the baseball team will actaully not get "crapped on" for once and have decent facilities to use. God knows I love old "Hardy Park", but it is the crappiest field in the Region by a longshot. And if Coach Hagy can keep the football team from practicing on the baseball field, I look to see this program tun into a first-rate program.

I agree, I think the Belfry baseball program will get better in the next few years. I think the new facilites will be huge for the baseball program.
Pikeville will have a solid team this year, they could have had state last year IMO.....but they had an inexperienced pitcher in Chase Huffman, and they only lost one decent player from last year in Hunter Smith. This team has what it takes to dominate Applebees Park
I agree with liveMAROON. Pikeville has the potential to be unstoppable this year! With the loss of only Hunter Smith they are returning basically all of their talent. With Huffman, McCown, Anderson, and some other young talent (Carter, Mayo...) on the mound they have the ability to do some pretty indredible things! i predict a 30+ win season. Last year(including all tournaments) they went 32-7.
"BaseballFan13" Wrote:I agree with liveMAROON. Pikeville has the potential to be unstoppable this year! With the loss of only Hunter Smith they are returning basically all of their talent. With Huffman, McCown, Anderson, and some other young talent (Carter, Mayo...) on the mound they have the ability to do some pretty indredible things! i predict a 30+ win season. Last year(including all tournaments) they went 32-7.

I hope they win the region again and reach the 30 win mark. Sounds like this may be the best team at Pikeville since the 99 season.
They will be as good and then some PHSFAN and you better believe it they are defintley top 5 in the state if not better
"liveMAROON" Wrote:They will be as good and then some PHSFAN and you better believe it they are defintley top 5 in the state if not better

They may be good but they won't be as good as the 99 team I promise you that. If you don't believe me go ask your own coaches I know for a fact they will tell you the same....well except if you are a player. The 99 Pikeville team would beat this years Pikeville team like a drum. I talk to the coaches regulary and I know their thoughts on this. I love Pikeville baseball and hope they win the region. You guys have the talent to go a long way I know that and I will be rooting for you guys. They may be a top 5 team in the state in class A but not the entire state, any fan with baseball knowledge would know that.
We will just have to wait now won't we
"liveMAROON" Wrote:We will just have to wait now won't we

There is nothing to wait and see. Even if Pikeville wins region this year they don't be near as good as the 98 or 99 team. Those teams could hit 1-9 and with power something this Pikeville team doesn't have. Trust me it would be ugly for the 2005 Panthers if the two teams could play...I know that for a fact. With that being said I hope the Panthers win the region. There is a great tradition at Pikeville in baseball and I hope the kids keep it going.
Now i see the light PHSFAN....and i can reach agreement with you...its so clear now
Paintsville. Didnt they win state in the early 90s or sumpthin like that?
I would have to go with Pikeville on this one, although Paintsville has had some good teams in the past 10 yrs.
im not even going to argu about this one but PIKEVILLE
Paintsville Smile
Paintsville won state back in 1990 when they defeated Tates Creek. They were loaded with players such as Mickey VanHoose, Walt Crace, Tucker Howard, etc. As for the past ten years I'd have to go with a tie for first between Paintsville and Pikeville. They have been regional powerhouses for quite some time now and as long as Adkins is in the dug out I'd take Paintsville against anyone in the region right now. Johnson Central has been on the rise and their Final 4 appearance last season was remarkable, they just didn't have the gas on the mound to finish it off.
Over the last 10 years, it is a toss up IMO between Paintsville and Pikeville, BUT I would have to give the edge to Pikeville seeing that they have won more Region Championships than Paintsville has. After those two teams I would have to add Johnson Central, they are usually right there in th mix as well (except for years 2001-2003).
Pikeville by far... and I agree with PHSFAN totally on the 98 (possibly) and for sure the 99 team being the better team than this years. They were unreal.
But I hope this years team fares well and I believe they will.
"eddie wayne" Wrote:Pikeville by far... and I agree with PHSFAN totally on the 98 (possibly) and for sure the 99 team being the better team than this years. They were unreal.

I agree with you Eddie Wayne. I hope this years team wins the region and keeps winning after that, but they don't compare to that 99 team. The 99 team is the best team that Pikeville has ever had. There was not 1 single easy out in tha lineup, they could hit 1-9. They lacked one more good pitcher from winning the state title IMO.
"PHSFAN" Wrote:
"eddie wayne" Wrote:Pikeville by far... and I agree with PHSFAN totally on the 98 (possibly) and for sure the 99 team being the better team than this years. They were unreal.

I agree with you Eddie Wayne. I hope this years team wins the region and keeps winning after that, but they don't compare to that 99 team. The 99 team is the best team that Pikeville has ever had. There was not 1 single easy out in tha lineup, they could hit 1-9. They lacked one more good pitcher from winning the state title IMO.

Woulda been nice if Pikeville would have had Jon Bevins instead of Pike Central, then they DEFINATELY would have been DANGEROUS.
Pages: 1 2