Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Morehead to host East-West Senior Bowl
The Northeastern Kentucky East-West Senior Bowl kicks off its eighth edition on Friday at 7:30 p.m. at Morehead State University's Jayne Stadium and event organizer Tom Posey says practice has gone well for both squads as they prepare for the contest.

"Everything's gone very well this week and the East team even added three players, with two of those from Ashland, and that's really going to help them," Posey said. "After observing both teams in practice, I'm expecting a close game. The East also has a huge line, which they usually do and both teams have some very good skill position players."

Admission is $10 and there will be concessions available, as well as jerseys and t-shirts, which sell for 10 and five dollars, respectively.

"You can't beat that anywhere," Posey said of the merchandise. "Watching this game is similar to seeing a very good college freshmen game and we're expecting several colleges to be here looking at the unsigned talent playing in the game. We believe Kentucky Christian, Morehead State, Campbellsville and the Cumberlands will have coaches in the stands. One thing that hurt us this year is that several schools have players signed from the area who they are not allowing to play in the game, which is something I just don't understand. I would think they would want them getting some experience playing in a game like this against quality players."

Posey added that a player from each team will be presented some scholarship money to use toward college expenses, but the amount would depend on the gate. He is encouraging fans to come out to see what is always an exciting contest and the forecast promises ideal football weather Friday evening.

"I'm excited about the game and both coaches, East coach Chris Mullins of Greenup County and West coach Reed Fields from Bath County, are both real big believers in this game," Posey said. "Bath County has always been very good to us and we will again have players from about 20 schools playing Friday."

Fields said the practices have gone well and that the players are enjoying meeting players from other schools.

"I absolutely love this game," Fields said. "It's always fun for the players and the coaches and the kids have been very attentive and focused on the schemes we're trying to teach them, even though it can be kinda tough to do in a week's time. I'm fortunate to have a great staff, with three head coaches as assistants. Steven Collins from George Rogers Clark is coaching the offense and John Hodge from Bourbon County is leading the defense and we also have Robert Hopkins from Nicholas County on the staff. Don't get me wrong, we want to win the game but we're here to showcase the kids and hope they can get out in space and make some plays for us."

Among the West All-Stars are several from local schools, including a pair of Mason County Royals, receiver-linebacker Dustin Chenault and 6-foot-3, 290-lb. lineman Cody Smith.

Also listed on the West roster are four Fleming County Panthers, receiver Chaise Gulley, quarterback Desmond McAdams, defensive end Dakota Miller and tackle D.J. Seitz.

Gulley caught 55 passes for 841 yards and seven touchdowns during his senior season and McAdams passed for 2,207 yards on 146 of 249 pass attempts and 19 scores.

Bracken County linebacker Eli Florer is also a West team member and Lewis County has two players, receiver Bud Burriss and linebacker Jacob Cox, who are listed on the East roster.

Clark Kissick, the Bath County quarterback who is walking on at the University of Kentucky, is also on the West after leading the Wildcats to an 8-3 season. Kissick, who has been compared to former UK quarterback Jared Lorenzen because of his 6-1, 250 lb. frame and like the "Hefty Lefty", he is also a southpaw. Kissick completed 89 of 165 passes for 1,689 yards and 17 touchdowns during his senior year.

Other West skill players of note include Bath County running back Tim Robinson, Nicholas County running back Austin Allison, Nicholas County tight end Zack Howard and Paris quarterback-running back Nate Stevens. Robinson ran for 869 yards and 12 scores in 2012, Allison racked up 1,692 yards on the ground to go with 26 touchdowns, Howard caught 27 passes for 501 yards and six scoring receptions and Stevens ran for 705 yards and 10 touchdowns.

The East offensive unit features Russell quarterback Lance Evans, who tossed for 926 yards in the Red Devils' run-oriented attack. The 6-5, 220-pounder completed 41 of 89 pass attempts for five touchdowns but Posey said Mullins had him throwing the ball with much more frequency in the East practice sessions this week. Evans is walking on at Eastern Kentucky University.

"Coach Mullins took over at Greenup last year and they struggled but he said it was a good learning experience for him and it takes some time to turn things around at a program that has been down some," said Posey. "They're trying to throw it around more in the spread offense and I'm sure they'll be trying to do that on Friday too."

The East ground game will be highlighted by Fairview's Chris Brewer, who ran for 17 touchdowns and 1,667 yards on 161 carries for the Class A state runners-up, who finished with a 14-1 record.

East Carter running back Cade Stidham, who ran for 778 yards on 160 carries for the Raiders during his senior year, also impressed Posey during practice.
Messages In This Thread
Morehead to host East-West Senior Bowl - by Allsports#1 - 06-13-2013, 11:05 PM