Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Morehead to host East-West Senior Bowl
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Morehead to host East-West Senior Bowl June 14 At MSU At 7:30
Can't wait. It will be fun to see these kids play again and also what some of them can do with other experienced players around them.
Rosters?
Number

Name

Height

Weight

Positions

High School

Davon Marshall

Tevin Williams

GRC

Austin Allison

Nicholas Co.

Nate Stevens
Paris

Tim Robinson

5’9

K

Bath Co.

Bobby Powell

6’0

DB

GRC

Robert Cornelius

6’1

TE/DE

GRC

Darian Farris

5’9

RB

GRC

Jason Little

6’1

WR/DB

Bath Co.

Finn Brutsman

5’7

RB/LB

Nicholas Co.

Desmond McAdams

6’2

QB

Fleming Co.

Dustin Chenault

5’8

WR/LB

Mason Co.

Sylan-Drake Mayes

6’2

DL

GRC

Toby Howard

5’11

TE/LB

Nicholas Co.

Chaise Gulley

5’11

WR/DB

Fleming Co.

Clark Kissick

6’1

QB

Bath Co.

Zach Howard

6’3

TE

Nicholas Co.

CD Spight

5’9

RB

GRC

Malik Davis

5’9

LB

GRC

Jaylen Abbott

5’11

LB

GRC

Eli Florer

6’2

LB

Bracken Co.

Nolan Woosley

6’0

OL/DL

Nicholas Co.

Jake Kirby

6’1

OL/DL

Nicholas Co.

Jamal Clark

5’6

OL/DL

Bourbon Co.

Jordan Abrams

5’9

OL/DL

Bath Co.

Marlon Lambert

5’10

OL/DL

Rowan Co.

Cody Smith

6’3

OL/DL

Mason Co.

Austin Hedges

5’11

OL/DL

Nicholas Co.

Zak Romans

5’9

OL/DL

Bath Co.

DJ Seitz

5’11

OL/DL

Fleming Co.

Chase Gibson

6’4

OL/DL

Bourbon Co.

Trevor Satterly

5’9

OL/DL

GRC

Wade Craycraft

6’0

OL/DL

Montgomery Co.

Jose DeLuna

6’2

K

Bourbon Co.

Dakota Miller

6’0

OL/DL

Fleming Co.

The West Team Senior Bowl Coaching Staff

Head Coach Reed Fields-Bath Co., Andy Crouch Bath County, Ben Everman-Bath Co., Anthony Miller-Bath Co., Rich DeAngles-Bath Co., Steve Collins- GRC, Robert Hopkins- Nicholas Co., John Hodge- Bourbon Co.

The East Team

Number

Name

Height

Weight

Positions

High School

John Kennedy

5’6

WR/DB

Russell

Blake Mayo

5’11

RB/DB

East Carter

Conner Staton

6’2

WR/DB

East Carter

Bud Burress

5’11

WR

Lewis Co.

Lance Evans

6’5

QB

Russell

J.P. Payne

6’0

WR/DB

Fairview

Blake Prince

5’10

WR/DB

Lawrence Co.

Gage Stevens

6’1

RB/LB

Russell

Colton Griffith

5’9

RB/LB

Raceland

Jacob Cox

6’0

RB/LB

Lewis Co.

Kyle Morris

5’10

RB/LB

Raceland

Cade Stidham

5’11

RB/DE

East Carter

Chris Brewer

5’10

FB/LB

Fairview

Cody Campbell

6’2

OL/DL

Fairview

Devin Thomas

6’0

OL/DL

Raceland

Logan Caldwell

6’1

OL/DL

Raceland

Doug Abrams

6’0

OL/DL

Raceland

Jared Stevens

6’4

OL/DL

Sheldon Clark

Brandon Boyles

6’0

OL/DL

Raceland

Jacob Forbes

6’0

OL/DL

Greenup Co.

Montana Scaggs

6’3

OL/DL

Russell

Preston Herring

6’4

OL/DL

Russell

Cody Sammons

6’2

OL/DL

Fairview

Dylan Harris

6’2

WR

Boyd Co.

---

Chase Lafferty

RB/WR/DB

Sheldon Clark

---

Cain Cooksey

OL/DL

Boyd Co.

---

Tyler O’Conner

RB/LB

Sheldon Clark

---

Cole Boggs

WR/LB/DL

East Carter

---

Andy Davis

TE/LB

Boyd Co.

---

Brandon Carr

TE/DB

Greenup Co.

---

Gaje Ayres

FB/LB

Boyd Co.

---

Charles Swanson

TE/DB

Greenup Co.

The East Team Senior Bowl Coaching Staff

Head Coach- Chris Mullins, Clay Couch, Sean Carter, Glenn Stephens and Lance Warnock of Greenup Co.
Did Lewis County switch teams? I thought they use to be on the West team.
I Think I read they switched because there were no players from Ashland Blazer as in the past.
Kickoff 7:30 p.m. at Morehead State's Jayne Stadium. Tickets are $10 apiece and can (only) be purchased at the gate. A DVD of the game will be available for $20.
The Northeastern Kentucky East-West Senior Bowl kicks off its eighth edition on Friday at 7:30 p.m. at Morehead State University's Jayne Stadium and event organizer Tom Posey says practice has gone well for both squads as they prepare for the contest.

"Everything's gone very well this week and the East team even added three players, with two of those from Ashland, and that's really going to help them," Posey said. "After observing both teams in practice, I'm expecting a close game. The East also has a huge line, which they usually do and both teams have some very good skill position players."

Admission is $10 and there will be concessions available, as well as jerseys and t-shirts, which sell for 10 and five dollars, respectively.

"You can't beat that anywhere," Posey said of the merchandise. "Watching this game is similar to seeing a very good college freshmen game and we're expecting several colleges to be here looking at the unsigned talent playing in the game. We believe Kentucky Christian, Morehead State, Campbellsville and the Cumberlands will have coaches in the stands. One thing that hurt us this year is that several schools have players signed from the area who they are not allowing to play in the game, which is something I just don't understand. I would think they would want them getting some experience playing in a game like this against quality players."

Posey added that a player from each team will be presented some scholarship money to use toward college expenses, but the amount would depend on the gate. He is encouraging fans to come out to see what is always an exciting contest and the forecast promises ideal football weather Friday evening.

"I'm excited about the game and both coaches, East coach Chris Mullins of Greenup County and West coach Reed Fields from Bath County, are both real big believers in this game," Posey said. "Bath County has always been very good to us and we will again have players from about 20 schools playing Friday."

Fields said the practices have gone well and that the players are enjoying meeting players from other schools.

"I absolutely love this game," Fields said. "It's always fun for the players and the coaches and the kids have been very attentive and focused on the schemes we're trying to teach them, even though it can be kinda tough to do in a week's time. I'm fortunate to have a great staff, with three head coaches as assistants. Steven Collins from George Rogers Clark is coaching the offense and John Hodge from Bourbon County is leading the defense and we also have Robert Hopkins from Nicholas County on the staff. Don't get me wrong, we want to win the game but we're here to showcase the kids and hope they can get out in space and make some plays for us."

Among the West All-Stars are several from local schools, including a pair of Mason County Royals, receiver-linebacker Dustin Chenault and 6-foot-3, 290-lb. lineman Cody Smith.

Also listed on the West roster are four Fleming County Panthers, receiver Chaise Gulley, quarterback Desmond McAdams, defensive end Dakota Miller and tackle D.J. Seitz.

Gulley caught 55 passes for 841 yards and seven touchdowns during his senior season and McAdams passed for 2,207 yards on 146 of 249 pass attempts and 19 scores.

Bracken County linebacker Eli Florer is also a West team member and Lewis County has two players, receiver Bud Burriss and linebacker Jacob Cox, who are listed on the East roster.

Clark Kissick, the Bath County quarterback who is walking on at the University of Kentucky, is also on the West after leading the Wildcats to an 8-3 season. Kissick, who has been compared to former UK quarterback Jared Lorenzen because of his 6-1, 250 lb. frame and like the "Hefty Lefty", he is also a southpaw. Kissick completed 89 of 165 passes for 1,689 yards and 17 touchdowns during his senior year.

Other West skill players of note include Bath County running back Tim Robinson, Nicholas County running back Austin Allison, Nicholas County tight end Zack Howard and Paris quarterback-running back Nate Stevens. Robinson ran for 869 yards and 12 scores in 2012, Allison racked up 1,692 yards on the ground to go with 26 touchdowns, Howard caught 27 passes for 501 yards and six scoring receptions and Stevens ran for 705 yards and 10 touchdowns.

The East offensive unit features Russell quarterback Lance Evans, who tossed for 926 yards in the Red Devils' run-oriented attack. The 6-5, 220-pounder completed 41 of 89 pass attempts for five touchdowns but Posey said Mullins had him throwing the ball with much more frequency in the East practice sessions this week. Evans is walking on at Eastern Kentucky University.

"Coach Mullins took over at Greenup last year and they struggled but he said it was a good learning experience for him and it takes some time to turn things around at a program that has been down some," said Posey. "They're trying to throw it around more in the spread offense and I'm sure they'll be trying to do that on Friday too."

The East ground game will be highlighted by Fairview's Chris Brewer, who ran for 17 touchdowns and 1,667 yards on 161 carries for the Class A state runners-up, who finished with a 14-1 record.

East Carter running back Cade Stidham, who ran for 778 yards on 160 carries for the Raiders during his senior year, also impressed Posey during practice.
The Northeastern Kentucky East-West Senior Bowl was, for some, a shot at redemption after tough senior campaigns last fall.

George Rogers Clark back C.D. Spight is among those. He suffered through a 1-10 campaign with the Cardinals last fall, but he gets to cap his high school career with a win after running for a 10-yard touchdown on West's first offensive play of overtime to lock up a 20-14 win and his team's offensive most valuable player honors.

“It felt great to get the last one I always wanted to win,” Spight said. “I was kind of upset at first, thought I wasn't gonna ever score, but it definitely feels great to get the MVP. Our record was 1-10, but for me, it's like 2-10. It was great to have a win.”

Spight ran for 75 yards on 15 carries. He also racked up the game-tying two-point conversion in the closing minutes of regulation at Morehead State's Jayne Stadium.

“This feels good, to keep running over them,” the Hanover College-bound back said of the East tacklers. “And I feel great being behind my blocking … we wouldn't win without my blocks, so I give it all to my O-line and my fullback.”

West coach Reed Fields of Bath County said winning the battle up front was key to the game-winning score.

“The kids have been saying, 'we want to pound it, we think we're wearing them out up front,'” Fields said. “We had a jumbo package in, so we just went to a stack I and let (Spight) do his thing. He had some good lead blocking.”

West used three quarterbacks. Bath County's Clark Kissick, set to walk on at Kentucky, and Fleming County's Desmond McAdams shared most of the snaps. Paris' Nate Stevens ran one possession as well.

Kissick threw for two touchdowns, completing 6-for-11 for 37 yards. McAdams hit 4-of-10 for 58 yards.

The Wildcats and Panthers aren't exactly the best of friends – Fleming County ended Bath County's season in the playoffs last year – but they hooked up on some big plays when it mattered, including Kissick's TD to Fleming County wideout Chaise Gulley late in regulation that set up Spight's game-tying two-point conversion run.

“It's a little bit crazy, isn't it?” Fields said. “That's what this all-star game is all about. These kids see there's different things going on. There's kids in these other counties that you play against, Nicholas and Bath and Fleming, and playing with these kids from Clark County. It's a different world.”

Gulley was the game's leading receiver with six catches for 71 yards.

“Everybody wants to win their last game,” the Panthers wideout said. “Barely anybody gets to go out and win their last high school game, so it's nice.”

Russell's Lance Evans took all the snaps under center for East and completed 15 of his 23 passes – far more than he would have likely thrown in any Red Devils game – for 110 yards.

East only ran for 20 yards, though.

“We knew we had some depth up front that we felt like they maybe didn't have,” Fields said. “We had a few more linemen, and it felt like we had some good skill players, and just persistence.

“We stayed with the game plan, and the defense played really well. My hat's off to (Bourbon County) coach (John) Hodge, (Bath County assistant) coach (Andy) Crouch and those defensive players for making plays.”

Boyd County's Dylan Harris caught seven passes for 68 yards to lead the East receiving corps and earn his team's offensive MVP award.

Conner Staton of East Carter was the East defensive MVP, while Jason Little of Bath County, who collected a crucial interception that Fields called “the game-changer for us,” won those honors for West.

Evans and Davon Marshall of Clark received the scholarships awarded annually.

Before West could win the game, it first had to come up with one more huge defensive stand, and did so when East got the ball at the West 10-yard line to begin overtime.

Evans hooked up with Lawrence County's Blake Prince to the West 4 on the first play, but Nicholas County's Austin Allison sacked Evans for a loss of 10 yards on second down.

Evans hit Harris to the West 10 on third down before Allison struck again. He deflected Evans' fourth-down pass to set West up in great position, needing only to score to win.

And that West did. Spight ran right to paydirt on the first play of the next possession to end the ballgame.

After the unmitigated beatdowns of the past two years – a 47-0 victory for East last summer and a 42-7 win for West the year prior – Friday's eighth renewal of the contest was competitive all the way.

West got on the board first on its second possession of the evening, after a defensive stand when George Rogers Clark's Malik Harris stuffed East's John Kennedy of Russell half a yard shy of first-down yardage on fourth-and-1 at the West 41.

West embarked on an eight-play, 59-yard drive, taking 2:12 off the clock. McAdams hooked up with diving teammate Gulley for 29 yards to jump-start that drive, which was extended when Stevens ran left off a double handoff for 18 yards on fourth-and-6 to the East 7-yard line.

Two plays later, Kissick hooked up with Marshall on a fade for a 7-yard touchdown.

Kissick's pass on the two-point conversion was incomplete, leaving West up 6-0.

East never got inside the West 29-yard line on offense in the first half, but it still took the lead into halftime with a big play on special teams and a two-point conversion.

Staton returned Bourbon County's Jose DeLuna's punt 66 yards up the left sideline, juking DeLuna and diving inside the pylon, with 2:46 to go in the first half.

Evans hit Prince for the two extra points and an 8-6 East lead.

The third quarter was scoreless, but East tallied another return touchdown early in the fourth period.

East's Kennedy was stuffed at the West 7 on fourth-and-2, but the shift in field position proved productive for East.

Three plays into the West drive, on third-and-9, Ashland's Evan Yongue of the East side picked Stevens and took it back 20 yards to the house.

Evans threw incomplete on the two-point try, leaving the margin at one possession, and West closed that gap on its ensuing possession.

Kissick threw deep for Bath County teammate Little on fourth-and-11 from the East 47 and drew defensive pass interference and a first down.

Three plays later, Kissick found his former combatant Gulley over the middle for a 7-yard scoring toss.

“It was a little weird (catching passes from Kissick),” Gulley said, “but it's nice to win, so that's what counts.”

After a timeout, Spight ran through a huge hole over the left side with 5:27 to play to tie the game.

The all-time series is tied at 4-4. The designated home team has won each game.

East coach Chris Mullins of Greenup County rued his team's late breakdowns, but was classy in defeat.

“The two things we wanted to do to win the game were to eliminate big plays and turnovers, and we have a big turnover in the fourth on the interception, and they have a big run there at the end of the game,” he said. “In the fourth quarter I think we got a little gassed, and we let the two things we didn't want to happen, happen. But you gotta give (West) credit for executing on those two plays.”

East 0 8 0 6 0 –14

West 6 0 0 8 6 –20

First Quarter

W – Marshall 7 pass from Kissick (pass failed), 4:17

Second Quarter

E – Staton 66 punt return (Prince pass from Evans), 2:46

Third Quarter

No Scoring

Fourth Quarter

E – Yongue 20 interception return (pass failed), 8:53

W – Gulley 7 pass from Kissick (Spight run), 5:27

Overtime