Poll: Would Kentucky baseball benefit from a class system?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Yes
70.00%
No
30.00%
I don't know!
0%
* You voted for this item.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Would Kentucky baseball benefit from a class system?
I agree with the fact that it makes it more special to win the championship and be the overall champion. That could be an easy remedy though within a class system. Say you have 4 classes - each with their own state championship. Then after you get those 4 winners, they could stick around one more day to play an overall championship. Would be easy to do in baseball and still determine an overall champion.

My biggest concern and reasoning for the class system is the support for the sport in the state. The reason that Pikeville and Paintsville are typically in the running for the 15th region is because there is a good deal of support in those areas for the sport. Same reason for Corbin, South Laurel, and a handful of other teams in eastern Kentucky. But for the most part, many schools don't even care about the sport. They see the likes of their school rarely ever competing with those other schools and never winning anything. The kids lose faith in playing, the administration already doesn't make money on it, and therefore it is pushed to the back.

I think if a few more teams - especially A and AA schools - had a chance to advance further in the playoffs and possibly get a chance to play in Lexington, then some enthusiasm would spread into that area which could start something great for the sport of baseball - which, in turn, would produce more baseball players who could play at the college level. Maybe a kid who plays basketball or football at a school where baseball is pushed to the back would also want to play baseball at that school is there was success.

Also, how much sweeter would it be for a Pikeville or Middlesboro to say we have won 2 or 3 1A state championships instead of saying we made the final four against some higher class competition. Imagine how much more your area may celebrate a state championship than a final four. Yes, baseball purists will say good job, that's great! But overall the community is like, well they did good, but got beat in the final four. Imagine them saying, yea, we won the state championship. T-shirts would be made, people would come out to support you and cheer you on because you would be state champions.

Just my tidbit and the reason why I think more schools would benefit from the class system.
Messages In This Thread
Would Kentucky baseball benefit from a class system? - by Johnny Bench - 09-03-2012, 10:33 AM