Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Would Kentucky baseball benefit from a class system?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I think it would likely benefit from a class system and maybe spread some enthusiasm for the sport in more communities. We all know the sport could use more support across the state.

Discuss.
I agree I think to an extent it would benefit from a class system. But I look at it this way. In college, Division 1, you have the smaller schools like Jacksonville or Manhattan, Austin Peay who are sort of like your smaller classes( 1A, 2A, 3A) but shockingly these schools compete with the best like Georgia Tech or Clemson( Could be your 4A to 6A schools.) For example, Mayfield is 1A and they can compete at the state tourney. Pikeville, a perennial baseball powerhouse in 1A competes at the state tourney against some of the bigger schools like, Butler, etc. Take Bishop Brossart for example, made very deep in the state tourney and competed. The thing with baseball that has always amazed me and why I think it's the best sport in the world and I love is because alot of small schools are so rich in history, talent, that they don't have to be classed with their class of schools or size of schools. They compete and in some cases are better than the bigger schools. This may confuse some of you all but I thought maybe somebody could relate. But I do think schools could benefit. For some schools that have those talented teams and get left out of the state tourney or so on like Bryan Station this year for example. Just my input. Might be dumb, don't hold it against me!
I think it would be great!! A whole lot more teams would have a lot more to play for: A STATE CHAMPIONSHIP!!! 6 state champs instead of just 1, I guess actually currently with the All A
FanofThegame12 Wrote:I agree I think to an extent it would benefit from a class system. But I look at it this way. In college, Division 1, you have the smaller schools like Jacksonville or Manhattan, Austin Peay who are sort of like your smaller classes( 1A, 2A, 3A) but shockingly these schools compete with the best like Georgia Tech or Clemson( Could be your 4A to 6A schools.) For example, Mayfield is 1A and they can compete at the state tourney. Pikeville, a perennial baseball powerhouse in 1A competes at the state tourney against some of the bigger schools like, Butler, etc. Take Bishop Brossart for example, made very deep in the state tourney and competed. The thing with baseball that has always amazed me and why I think it's the best sport in the world and I love is because alot of small schools are so rich in history, talent, that they don't have to be classed with their class of schools or size of schools. They compete and in some cases are better than the bigger schools. This may confuse some of you all but I thought maybe somebody could relate. But I do think schools could benefit. For some schools that have those talented teams and get left out of the state tourney or so on like Bryan Station this year for example. Just my input. Might be dumb, don't hold it against me!

Well no, not exactly. The reason why in D1 you have smaller schools competing with larger schools is because all NCAA D1 schools are limited to 11.7 scholarships to divide among the entire roster. Morehead State has the exact same number of schollies as somebody like South Carolina, Florida State or LSU. Enrollment figures of the college play exactly ZERO into it.

You can in no way parallel high school to college, because in high school you are able to use the resources of the entire school population. This is where the differences in enrollment plays into the equation.
Baseball does not need a class system, IMO.
3 classes would be good as in cross country and track. 6 is entirely to many even / especially in football. The first 2 rounds are awful
As a fan and former player at Middlesboro, I would not be in support of a class system. Middlesboro has made it to the Final Four 6 times and no doubt, would have benefited from a class system. However, those post-season runs wouldn't have been as magical had they not been against the likes of larger schools.
THe teams that played in the 15th region championship last year were both Class-A. My .2 cents on the subject.
MHS Parent4Life Wrote:As a fan and former player at Middlesboro, I would not be in support of a class system. Middlesboro has made it to the Final Four 6 times and no doubt, would have benefited from a class system. However, those post-season runs wouldn't have been as magical had they not been against the likes of larger schools.
Pikeville (A) in 2010 in the postseason defeated AAA East Ridge in the 59th District Championship, AAA Pike Central in the 1st Round of the 15th Region, AAAA (At the time) Lawrence County in the Regional Semifinals, AAA Belfry in the 15th Region Championship, AAAAA Perry Central in the round of 16, AAAA Greenup County in the Quarterfinals, and ultimately fell to AAAAAA Butler in the State Semifinals.

That made it so awesome to accomplish what the team did.
I agree with the fact that it makes it more special to win the championship and be the overall champion. That could be an easy remedy though within a class system. Say you have 4 classes - each with their own state championship. Then after you get those 4 winners, they could stick around one more day to play an overall championship. Would be easy to do in baseball and still determine an overall champion.

My biggest concern and reasoning for the class system is the support for the sport in the state. The reason that Pikeville and Paintsville are typically in the running for the 15th region is because there is a good deal of support in those areas for the sport. Same reason for Corbin, South Laurel, and a handful of other teams in eastern Kentucky. But for the most part, many schools don't even care about the sport. They see the likes of their school rarely ever competing with those other schools and never winning anything. The kids lose faith in playing, the administration already doesn't make money on it, and therefore it is pushed to the back.

I think if a few more teams - especially A and AA schools - had a chance to advance further in the playoffs and possibly get a chance to play in Lexington, then some enthusiasm would spread into that area which could start something great for the sport of baseball - which, in turn, would produce more baseball players who could play at the college level. Maybe a kid who plays basketball or football at a school where baseball is pushed to the back would also want to play baseball at that school is there was success.

Also, how much sweeter would it be for a Pikeville or Middlesboro to say we have won 2 or 3 1A state championships instead of saying we made the final four against some higher class competition. Imagine how much more your area may celebrate a state championship than a final four. Yes, baseball purists will say good job, that's great! But overall the community is like, well they did good, but got beat in the final four. Imagine them saying, yea, we won the state championship. T-shirts would be made, people would come out to support you and cheer you on because you would be state champions.

Just my tidbit and the reason why I think more schools would benefit from the class system.
Johnny Bench Wrote:I agree with the fact that it makes it more special to win the championship and be the overall champion. That could be an easy remedy though within a class system. Say you have 4 classes - each with their own state championship. Then after you get those 4 winners, they could stick around one more day to play an overall championship. Would be easy to do in baseball and still determine an overall champion.

My biggest concern and reasoning for the class system is the support for the sport in the state. The reason that Pikeville and Paintsville are typically in the running for the 15th region is because there is a good deal of support in those areas for the sport. Same reason for Corbin, South Laurel, and a handful of other teams in eastern Kentucky. But for the most part, many schools don't even care about the sport. They see the likes of their school rarely ever competing with those other schools and never winning anything. The kids lose faith in playing, the administration already doesn't make money on it, and therefore it is pushed to the back.

I think if a few more teams - especially A and AA schools - had a chance to advance further in the playoffs and possibly get a chance to play in Lexington, then some enthusiasm would spread into that area which could start something great for the sport of baseball - which, in turn, would produce more baseball players who could play at the college level. Maybe a kid who plays basketball or football at a school where baseball is pushed to the back would also want to play baseball at that school is there was success.

Also, how much sweeter would it be for a Pikeville or Middlesboro to say we have won 2 or 3 1A state championships instead of saying we made the final four against some higher class competition. Imagine how much more your area may celebrate a state championship than a final four. Yes, baseball purists will say good job, that's great! But overall the community is like, well they did good, but got beat in the final four. Imagine them saying, yea, we won the state championship. T-shirts would be made, people would come out to support you and cheer you on because you would be state champions.

Just my tidbit and the reason why I think more schools would benefit from the class system.

But there aleady is an All A state tournament and I dont think that Pikeville or Middlesboro have won that one yet either.

Right now, nothing is broke.
Bob Seger Wrote:But there aleady is an All A state tournament and I dont think that Pikeville or Middlesboro have won that one yet either.

And the "Well it doesn't cover AA or AAA" is no longer a valid point lol. It is basically A-AA.5 lol. The 15th Region All "A" this season will include every team but Johnson Central, Pike Central, and Belfry.
Panther Thunder Wrote:And the "Well it doesn't cover AA or AAA" is no longer a valid point lol. It is basically A-AA.5 lol. The 15th Region All "A" this season will include every team but Johnson Central, Pike Central, and Belfry.

Exactly
Everyone presents valid points on this subject, but the fact remains if you have more than one high school or middle school in your county the pooling of players make it almost impossible to compete at that same level with these schools and if you do thats the magical season mentioned. Population has everything to do with your overall success.
Bob Seger Wrote:But there aleady is an All A state tournament and I dont think that Pikeville or Middlesboro have won that one yet either.

Sadly, I agree.
Unfortunately there aren't enough class-a teams in the 15th lol.
Although Pikeville and Middlesboro haven't won an All A state title yet doesn't really fold well into the argument. While the teams compete hard and try their best to win it, it is almost irrelevant - heck it has even been talked about being canceled because of bad weather before. If Middlesboro has to play an All A state semi, and then play a district game against Harlan Co. the next day, they aren't go to go all out in that game like they would if their season depended on it. Heck, they may not even throw their best pitcher. Same goes for Pikeville if they had a district foe that challenged them in a seeded district and made it hard to reach the region. Who's to say if that A class state championship was played at the end (and you would likely take out much of the field that plays in it now because many would be AA), then things could be much different.

But the biggest point is that these teams would benefit from the class system, but maybe not a great deal more. However, your teams like Corbin & South Laurel may each respectively make their state class final 4 and one may even win it. Then your teams like Belfry and Sheldon Clark may also advance far in the state tourney in their respective classes. Then instead of JC, Pikeville, Paintsville, or LC advancing to the sweet 16 every single year, you may have 4-5 teams in the 15th region advancing far in the state. Then those areas see the success and more kids want to compete which only makes them better. More teams would have a chance to compete at the state level and potentially reach Applebee's Park (or Whitaker Bank Park). Imagine a four class system playing all playing the final four at Whitaker Bank Park. Potentially there could be a Pikeville, Belfry, Johnson Central all represented. There could also be a Powell Co, Perry Central, Hazard, or Knott representation. Imagine a class A team like Williamsburg and Middlesboro competing to advance to the state tournament.

I like the single winner system. As a baseball player and fan, it would be sweet to win the whole thing, but I think a class system may be what's best for the sport as far as support and popularity.
Most deff
Think of how many state titles Paintsville would've won over the years. Without a doubt the best tradition in the 15th region and for many years under Charlie Adkins was a top ten team in the entire state. They don't have the same resume but you could throw Pikeville into that discussion too. I don't think there needs to be a classing system though. Football is the only sport that needs to be in classes because more bodies make a difference in a physical sport.