Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Middlesboro Fan punches Bell County Coach
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:Then what kind of example is college football setting by having the BCS system when every week goes by your performance, not just wins or losses? A team is likely to fall a couple of spots if they only beat a bad team by 2 or 3 instead of leaving in starters and winning by 70 and making your stats look better, which is the bcs is all about.
I know you'll say high school isnt the bcs, however, if you kid is playing high school football im sure it is his and the parents dream to go to a D1 college and play under the bcs system so theyll be heading into that direction anyways.
You can holler character and sportmanship all you want but if you dont want to get throbbed, nobody makes a coach schedule teams that can destroy them.
Ive been on the recieving in of a couple of whoopins but i have NEVER complained about running up the score, its why we play the game. I say if you need to work on your passing game when your already up 40, go for it! Its just getting old hearing people whine about running up the score when as long as your the one doing it, nobody cares.
I'm not much of a student of the BCS system. I imagine your description is accurate and as such I'm not a fan of it as any system that provides incentive for a game to become a an excuse to humliate a lesser opponent.

Some people really do just "holler" character and sportsmanship. The great coaches like John Wooden, Bobby Bowden, and Lou Holtz expect players and coaches to live those words and not just speak them. Coaches may schedule teams they know they are unlikely to beat. But I still believe there is an unspoken contract of sportsmanship among the men who lead most teams that says "I will repsect you and your team".

The great ones play the game for more than the scoreboard.
Messages In This Thread
Middlesboro Fan punches Bell County Coach - by Football1 - 09-04-2011, 12:00 AM