Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Did you know going into the 2011 season...
toussaints Wrote:-[B]There will be a new 5A State Champion: Highlands is the only team that has won a 5A State title, but they'll be in 4A this season[/B]

-Highlands is going for a 5-peat: only one team has accomplished a 5 peat in Kentucky high school football history, Boyle County, which will be one of the schools standing in the way of Highlands 5-peat chances

-Bowling Green is 1 win away from recording their 600th program win: only 12 other programs have 600 or more wins in their program's history

-Phillip Haywood of Belfry is 9 wins away from becoming the winningest high school football coach in Kentucky: he's at 337, the record is currently 345 held by Bob Schneider of NewCath and Dudley Hilton of Bell County.

Are there any other good, bad, and/or wierd milestones or interesting things we should watch out for in 2011?

Another interesting note to think about is if the birds hadnt been in 5A the last five years what teams could have picked up a championship.
Take for example last year. It could have been an Harlan Co. vs. Christian Co. state championship and i honestly believe Harlan Co. would have picked up one after just a few years of existence which would have been amazing.
In 2009 We could have seen a Johnson Central/John Hardin match up which would have been another great matchup assuming Johnson would have got past Pulaski which i think would have happened.
In 2008 there was allkinds of amazing talent in 5A and good teams. Without Highlands It could have been Bryan Station (who i believe came the closet ever to beating highlands in the 5A playoffs) or a Jonson Central, who aslo came close and either one of them would have met Whitley who have matched up much better with those two than the speedy Highlands with Collinsworth and such. And out of those teams they would have still had to meet a good christian co team. All around the most competetion for Highlands out of any year they were in 5A.
And in 2007 a letcher or lincoln could have met bowling green in the finals and bowling green probably would have captured one.
So in all of the years highlands dominated five years, its possible 5 different schools would have captured one, which is better for parity and what more people im sure would have liked to have seen.
In all HHS is HHS and they dominated but im glad to see them gone, and while some say 5a is "weak", it will definitely one of the much more competetive classes in KY this year. I cant wait for the season to start and a changing of the guard in 5A.
Oh, and dont forget, had the birds not been in 5A, who knows if they would have had 5 straight in 4A with bell and boyle. So it could have been a much different scenario over the past few years in the KY high school football landscape.
Messages In This Thread
Did you know going into the 2011 season... - by Bolt - 07-18-2011, 04:16 PM