Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Did you know going into the 2011 season...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
-There will be a new 5A State Champion: Highlands is the only team that has won a 5A State title, but they'll be in 4A this season

-Highlands is going for a 5-peat: only one team has accomplished a 5 peat in Kentucky high school football history, Boyle County, which will be one of the schools standing in the way of Highlands 5-peat chances

-Bowling Green is 1 win away from recording their 600th program win: only 12 other programs have 600 or more wins in their program's history

-Phillip Haywood of Belfry is 9 wins away from becoming the winningest high school football coach in Kentucky: he's at 337, the record is currently 345 held by Bob Schneider of NewCath and Dudley Hilton of Bell County.

Are there any other good, bad, and/or wierd milestones or interesting things we should watch out for in 2011?
toussaints Wrote:-There will be a new 5A State Champion: Highlands is the only team that has won a 5A State title, but they'll be in 4A this season

-Highlands is going for a 5-peat: only one team has accomplished a 5 peat in Kentucky high school football history, Boyle County, which will be one of the schools standing in the way of Highlands 5-peat chances

-Bowling Green is 1 win away from recording their 600th program win: only 12 other programs have 600 or more wins in their program's history

-Phillip Haywood of Belfry is 9 wins away from becoming the winningest high school football coach in Kentucky: he's at 337, the record is currently 345 held by Bob Schneider of NewCath and Dudley Hilton of Bell County.

Are there any other good, bad, and/or wierd milestones or interesting things we should watch out for in 2011?

Boyle County is riding a 30 game winning streak which I believe is the current best in the state. :Thumbs:

(If not for the Ryle loss by HHS last year I believe the Birds would be on a 43 game win streak, or better, and threatening the Trinity mark of 50)
Highlands is going to just mow through 4A this season, just like they have 5A the last several years.

I believe theyre is so much separation within the classes. 6,4,3A are all very strong with the new realignment, and the other classes are considerably weaker.
Great news everywhere.Hope this year goes well.
The Iceboxx Wrote:Highlands is going to just mow through 4A this season, just like they have 5A the last several years.

I believe theyre is so much separation within the classes. 6,4,3A are all very strong with the new realignment, and the other classes are considerably weaker.

I'm not sure that what you say isn't a contradiction.

You state how HHS will "mow" through the competition in 4A and yet you then speak of how 6A, 4A and 3A are all much stronger than the other classes. How can 4A be stronger if HHS will have no competition.

I do think the Birds will likely win 4A because they return so much key talent. But I do believe HHS will find more competition in 4A than they ever did in 5A. :Thumbs:
Hopefully Perry Central can muster up a playoff win.
It would be the first in school history.
Hatz Wrote:I'm not sure that what you say isn't a contradiction.

You state how HHS will "mow" through the competition in 4A and yet you then speak of how 6A, 4A and 3A are all much stronger than the other classes. How can 4A be stronger if HHS will have no competition.

I do think the Birds will likely win 4A because they return so much key talent. But I do believe HHS will find more competition in 4A than they ever did in 5A. :Thumbs:

I hear often that Highlands will find more competition in 4A than they ever did in 5A. It's usually coming from fans of the 4A schools though. :Clap:

4A and 5A last year both had some very fine teams. I wouldn't say 4A was stronger overall last year than 5A from what I observed however.

Will it be this year? I'll let you know at the end of the year.
I think that somewhere in the season,maybe a blowout game,Prestonsburg will give JBV a shot at the state record for the longest fieldgoal. I think the record stands somewhere around 56 yards. JBV has that in him. Personally, I think he could get 60. I hope he gets a chance at it.
There will be a new 5A State Champion

Any outlooks for who will be the toughest competition?
Dudley Hilton will argue that his name is atop the list of most wins, since it comes first alphabetically, of course.
toussaints Wrote:-[B]There will be a new 5A State Champion: Highlands is the only team that has won a 5A State title, but they'll be in 4A this season[/B]

Another interesting note to think about is if the birds hadnt been in 5A the last five years what teams could have picked up a championship.
Take for example last year. It could have been an Harlan Co. vs. Christian Co. state championship and i honestly believe Harlan Co. would have picked up one after just a few years of existence which would have been amazing.
In 2009 We could have seen a Johnson Central/John Hardin match up which would have been another great matchup assuming Johnson would have got past Pulaski which i think would have happened.
In 2008 there was allkinds of amazing talent in 5A and good teams. Without Highlands It could have been Bryan Station (who i believe came the closet ever to beating highlands in the 5A playoffs) or a Jonson Central, who aslo came close and either one of them would have met Whitley who have matched up much better with those two than the speedy Highlands with Collinsworth and such. And out of those teams they would have still had to meet a good christian co team. All around the most competetion for Highlands out of any year they were in 5A.
And in 2007 a letcher or lincoln could have met bowling green in the finals and bowling green probably would have captured one.
So in all of the years highlands dominated five years, its possible 5 different schools would have captured one, which is better for parity and what more people im sure would have liked to have seen.
In all HHS is HHS and they dominated but im glad to see them gone, and while some say 5a is "weak", it will definitely one of the much more competetive classes in KY this year. I cant wait for the season to start and a changing of the guard in 5A.
Oh, and dont forget, had the birds not been in 5A, who knows if they would have had 5 straight in 4A with bell and boyle. So it could have been a much different scenario over the past few years in the KY high school football landscape.
Great stuff:Thumbs:

toussaints Wrote:-There will be a new 5A State Champion: Highlands is the only team that has won a 5A State title, but they'll be in 4A this season

J. J. Jude has a shot at breaking the all time KY career rushing record and the Golden Eagles non-district schedule is much weaker than last season. If he stays healthy, Jude will have a great shot at the record if JC's offense jells early in the season.
Hoot Gibson Wrote:J. J. Jude has a shot at breaking the all time KY career rushing record and the Golden Eagles non-district schedule is much weaker than last season. If he stays healthy, Jude will have a great shot at the record if JC's offense jells early in the season.

How far is Jude away.
Ive never seen jude play except for bell co which is hard to show your talents against especially at bell. I did see the blume(sp?) kid play at johnson central a couple of times against whitley and i believe he resembles him in his game a lot.
Bolt Wrote:How far is Jude away.
Ive never seen jude play except for bell co which is hard to show your talents against especially at bell. I did see the blume(sp?) kid play at johnson central a couple of times against whitley and i believe he resembles him in his game a lot.
I don't have the numbers at hand and either JC has not submitted his stats for last season yet or they have not been updated on the KHSAA site. I did the math last season and although it would take a great season, Jude has an outside shot at breaking the record. It may come down to how deep JC can make it in the playoffs this season.

IMO, Jude is by far the best running back that JC has produced. Jude's game is more like Shawn Grimm's was than Blume's. Jude has good speed but his great balance and strength make him difficult to bring down - he gains much of his yardage after initial contact. Blume was more like Bell's Davenport - very elusive but he did not run over or carry many would-be tacklers down the field.
Hoot Gibson Wrote:I don't have the numbers at hand and either JC has not submitted his stats for last season yet or they have not been updated on the KHSAA site. I did the math last season and although it would take a great season, Jude has an outside shot at breaking the record. It may come down to how deep JC can make it in the playoffs this season.

IMO, Jude is by far the best running back that JC has produced. Jude's game is more like Shawn Grimm's was than Blume's. Jude has good speed but his great balance and strength make him difficult to bring down - he gains much of his yardage after initial contact. Blume was more like Bell's Davenport - very elusive but he did not run over or carry many would-be tacklers down the field.

I see. I didnt know that Jude was more of a power runner like that. I thought he was similar to blumer because of the way he was very fast. The one thing i remember about blume was his quickness off the ends. He was so fast from the handoff to the line of scrimmage and tapered out of that, just seemed to be explosive. I might have to watch a johnson game this year when they come closer to hear seeing as to how the last time i seen them play was a three hour drive on a school bus.
Bolt Wrote:I see. I didnt know that Jude was more of a power runner like that. I thought he was similar to blumer because of the way he was very fast. The one thing i remember about blume was his quickness off the ends. He was so fast from the handoff to the line of scrimmage and tapered out of that, just seemed to be explosive. I might have to watch a johnson game this year when they come closer to hear seeing as to how the last time i seen them play was a three hour drive on a school bus.
In case you missed Jude's highlight video that was posted here a few weeks ago, it's worth watching. I wouldn't describe Jude as a power back but more of a very quick back who is very good at absorbing contact and shedding tacklers.

Bell did a great job wearing down J. K. Hall last season with Madon's long passes in the first half that sent Hall's man deep over and over. I think that was the key to allowing Bell to key more on Jude in the second half. Jude rarely comes out on defense or offense but he does not seem to wear down late in the game.
Dragonsdad Wrote:I think that somewhere in the season,maybe a blowout game,Prestonsburg will give JBV a shot at the state record for the longest fieldgoal. I think the record stands somewhere around 56 yards. JBV has that in him. Personally, I think he could get 60. I hope he gets a chance at it.
The record is 58 yards by Aaron Pettrey of Raceland.
Did you know that going into the 2011 season, Will Harris of Boyle County High School will try to extend his state record of consecutive extra points made, which currently is at 86. That is ten better than the previous record holder, Max Oldham of Bowling Green High School in the 07-08 season, who had 76 consecutive straight extra points made. Will Harris will be a junior this season. He made every extra point as a sophomore.
BoyleCounty Wrote:Did you know that going into the 2011 season, Will Harris of Boyle County High School will try to extend his state record of consecutive extra points made, which currently is at 86. That is ten better than the previous record holder, Max Oldham of Bowling Green High School in the 07-08 season, who had 76 consecutive straight extra points made. Will Harris will be a junior this season. He made every extra point as a sophomore.

wow, thats impressive. do you know what the national record is?
toussaints Wrote:wow, thats impressive. do you know what the national record is?

Sorry I was so late. But I'm sure I can find out. That would be very interesting to know. I'll get back to you.
toussaints Wrote:wow, thats impressive. do you know what the national record is?

Per Maxpreps, he led the nation in PAT percentage. He was the only player in the nation, reported, to have made every single PAT. That stat itself is pretty awesome.

Per NFHS, the record stands at 134 consecutive, set by Kim Braswell(Avondale Estates, GA) 1965-1968. Will Harris of Boyle County, is currently tied for fourth all time, Mike Jones (Steubenville, OH), 1998-2000, made 86 consecutive PAT's as well.

Click on the link below. Once you do that, scroll down, click on football and it should bring up the records. If you have Adobe Reader, that is. :Thumbs:

http://www.nfhs.org/content.aspx?id=3230
Bolt Wrote:How far is Jude away.

according to the khsaa, derek homer has the most career yards @ 8,224. not sure where JJ Jude is.
BoyleCounty Wrote:Per NFHS, the record stands at 134 consecutive, set by Kim Braswell(Avondale Estates, GA) 1965-1968. Will Harris of Boyle County, is currently tied for fourth all time, Mike Jones (Steubenville, OH), 1998-2000, made 86 consecutive PAT's as well.

Click on the link below. Once you do that, scroll down, click on football and it should bring up the records. If you have Adobe Reader, that is. :Thumbs:

http://www.nfhs.org/content.aspx?id=3230

that's pretty cool, good luck to will this season