Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
(23) Vanderbilt 81 - (18) Kentucky 77 (Men's Basketball)
Look guy's Cal's not losing his job. So those trying defend him need not think anyone on here truly believes he is in danger currently, so save yourself the typing. However, it is evident that the track record that repeats itself is evident.

Take this however you want, but be honest with yourself before you either think I'm disparaging Cal for you to have to defend. Cal's teams have displayed an inability to play organized down the stretch of games. What I saw today at the end of the game has been a repeat over and over this season. It happened last year in both losses. And when you go back to the Memphis debacle in the Finals, and the UMass loss to UK in the Semi's in '96 it was the exact same situation. That's not to say his teams do not pull out games at the end. But can anyone tell me a time where a Cal team ran an organized plan in the last minutes of a game where his team did not need the outstanding work of an individual player? It's fly by the seat of your pants coaching at the end of games. The three losses previous, our gameplan and attempt at game ending play all looked unorganized and undisciplined. Take it for what it's worth, if the players don't win the game, we won't win. And that is to mean that we do not have great "Plays" we have great "Players". I can take a team of Great Players and win!

As for the age and experience of these players. Knock the non-sense off about their age. They are playing at the University of Kentucky! Their confidence is worn on the front of their jerseys! The recruits from the last two years have seen every imaginable situation in basketball. And finally, they have played against competition better than the teams that they have lost to so far in AAU tournaments. So, the type of Basketball player at UK cannot be argued that they are too young.

The only credible response that I have seen was by BCA. I'll give it that the Cal recruit is a totally different animal. They type of player that comes in has no reservations about playing the game at the highest level both defensively and offensively. They are just better basketball players than any other recruits that are going to other schools. Once the hold-overs are gone (though Vargas is a Cal guy), I believe whatever kids who are here will be better players than what is left on this squad currently. UK will forever have one and done's, thus he has to bring in support players and my hope is those support players can contribute over a four year span. However, if he thinks he can bring in a support guy like Poole and expect him to stay for four years, he's a fool. So only time will tell how this team evolves over the next few years as guys who only stay for 1-2 seasons move on and we see what kind of hold over guys we can keep for four years.
Messages In This Thread
(23) Vanderbilt 81 - (18) Kentucky 77 (Men's Basketball) - by Stardust - 02-12-2011, 07:26 PM