Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Coach Salmons Out at Lawrence County!!!!
As a former Lawrence County athlete and a faithful supporter of Bulldog Athletics, I occasionaly get on here and read through the threads to pass time. I simply can no longer set back and listen to all the nonsense that is being thrown around concerning Lawrence County Athletics.

First, the fact that Luke Salmons decided to leave Lawrence County should not have been a surprise to anyone. Luke is not from here, so why would he want to stay? He played Division I football at Marshall and that has opened many doors for his future. He was able to make many connections with important people and I cant help but think that helped him get the Cabell Midland job. You guys praised him when the football team was so great the past two years but now you want to tear him apart because he leaves for greener pastors. The bottom line is Cabell Midland is a way better job than Lawrence County and anyone who understands the facts should see this. I never was a Luke Salmons supporter per say, I always thought there was something different about him, but bottome line was the kids loved him and he won games. I can't fault a man for trying to better his live and subsequently his families. Stop complaining.

Second, what ever happened to the days where kids played for the love of the game? Who cares who your coaches are? 99% of these football kids will play there four years of high school ball and they will never play another competitive sport again. The same can be said for all the other sports as well. I personally can't believe all these kids are or would be willing to give up playing because of the coach. The bottom line is that the parents need to step up and tell there kids to stop being prima donnas and go play the sports they love. During my days I would have never not played a sport because of the coaches. You play athletics for the love of the game and to play with your friends. ANYONE SUGGESTING THE KIDS SHOULD HAVE A SAY SO IN WHO IS HIRED IS DEAD WRONG! Kids who don't approve of the coaching hire can set at home, play PlayStation or Xbox, and two years down the road they will regret every minute of it. These kids saying they won't play unless the coach they choose is hired are the same kids who boycotted the basketball coach and they are the reason the team is 0-15. To me that is a very disturbing trend of teaching these young kids if they don't like somthing they can simply quit or boycott it. It's time for the parents to step up and be real parents and guide these kids.

Third, neither band or tennis are jokes. Just because certain sports/activities aren't as popular as others doesn't mean they don't deserve support as well. Everyone complains on how tennis is such a joke and how they deserve nothing, but I would be willing to guarantee that if you look over the years the tennis team has produced as many college players as the football team. They have been to more state tournaments and have recieved half the support. Band has produced several members as well who have went on to play in various college bands.

Lastly, with all that being said I want to say I believe the school system should do everything they can do to be succesful academically and athletically. Obviously academics are #1. It is time that parents and kids learn this. There are way more academic scholarships than there are athletic ones, and statistically they are easily reached. Look back over the past ten tears at all the athletes who actually got scholarships. The numbers aren't exactly soaring, and Lawrence County has been one of the more succesful schools around. It's time to start teaching these kids that the classroom comes first, because for the vast majority of them they will play in high school and that is it.
Messages In This Thread
Coach Salmons Out at Lawrence County!!!! - by foxtrot1 - 01-18-2011, 11:09 AM