Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
An open letter to Ashley Judd: In Defense of Coal
Old School Wrote:Wikipedia is a wonderful tool isn't it WC.

You do realize that this disaster was not caused by flooding, and the impoundment did not break, a portion of a underground mine was not sealed properly, and the impoundment was built over this section of the mine. When the old underground mine caved in, the impoundment drained into the abandoned mine and out the portals then into the creeks.

We all need to realize that these types of disasters happen, we've had nuclear spills, oil spills, chemical spills etc. that have temporarily damaged property. The important thing is that we learn from these accidents to ensure they never happen again. It has been almost 10 years since the Martin County spill happened and nearly 40 years after the Buffalo Creek disasater. After each, new techniques were developed to ensure these disaster do not repeat themselves.

Trust me this disaster cost Massey more than the $5,600 fine you mentioned. Massey spent hundreds of millions of dollars on this spill.

I never said anything about a flood causing the accident first of all. But yes 5,600 was all they was fined. They probably spent much more cleaning it up but there should have been a hefty fine.
Messages In This Thread
An open letter to Ashley Judd: In Defense of Coal - by Wildcatk23 - 06-28-2010, 09:40 PM