Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: An open letter to Ashley Judd: In Defense of Coal
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Ashley Judd’s comments regarding mountain top removal continue to stir controversy here in Eastern Kentucky. We have received hundreds of comments on our website and Facebook pages.

I received this open letter to Ashley Judd. It was written by Janette Jude, a sixth grade language arts teacher from Inez Middle School in Martin County.

---

Dear Ms. Judd,

I recently listened to your luncheon speech on press.org and I must say I was appalled by your words. The areas to which you referred, specifically Martin County, is my home. I have lived here my entire life. I’ve chosen to stay here, although this hillbilly is educated and could go anywhere. Unlike you, I not only have roots in eastern Kentucky, I have elected to grow and blossom in my beautiful state. My purpose in writing to you is twofold; first, I want to provide facts about the areas to which you referred, and secondly, I want you to understand how your disdain and promotion of the banning of mountain-top removal infringes on the employment and income of residents of eastern Kentucky. You obviously have heard one side of the story regarding mountain-top removal. I am here to inform you of the other side.

Coal mining is an important industry to legitimate Kentuckians. It directly provides over 17,000 jobs to our state. The average annual salary for those jobs is $58,000. This doesn’t include jobs that are indirectly related to coal mining. Revenue from the mining industry has provided millions of dollars to not only our area, but to areas such as Lexington and Louisville. Coal tax dollars have actually benefitted central Kentucky almost as much as eastern Kentucky. Many people from our area who prosper directly or indirectly from coal spend money in larger areas of Kentucky, such as Ashland, Lexington, and Louisville. Many people from our area vacation in Tennessee, which incidentally brings revenue to your home state.

In my county, and others, coal revenue has provided a community center. Our community center offers entertainment, the opportunity for health improvement, and education to people in our area. Without the generosity of the coal industry, this would not have been possible. The coal industry has also donated money, time, the use of equipment, and various other things to our school systems........

Read the rest here.....

http://www.wkyt.com/blogs/neilsnotebook/97320479.html
I myself live in martin county, and although i do not agree with losing all the jobs created by mountaintop removal i will have to say that it is terrible for the environment. I myself think their is way more efficient ways to mine coal. And deep mining is one of them.I mean lets face it, we all know why strip mining has become popular among coal companies. Its cheaper. And the sooner we realize that doing things cheap all the time will eventually run into problems. And for those of you who disagree and say strip mining is safe and not at all bad on the environment, i can show you pictures of just about every house on the road i live on during the memorial day flood of 2004. So ms. teacher at inez middle school, look around at this place when it rains a little bit instead of reading twilight and you will see just how terrible strip mining coal is.
4_real Wrote:I myself live in martin county, and although i do not agree with losing all the jobs created by mountaintop removal i will have to say that it is terrible for the environment. I myself think their is way more efficient ways to mine coal. And deep mining is one of them.I mean lets face it, we all know why strip mining has become popular among coal companies. Its cheaper. And the sooner we realize that doing things cheap all the time will eventually run into problems. And for those of you who disagree and say strip mining is safe and not at all bad on the environment, i can show you pictures of just about every house on the road i live on during the memorial day flood of 2004. So ms. teacher at inez middle school, look around at this place when it rains a little bit instead of reading twilight and you will see just how terrible strip mining coal is.

The majority of coal seams mined by surface mining methods can not be mined by underground methods.

Could the fact that we had 3 to 5 inches of rain have anything to do with memorial day flood of 2004. If I remember correctly all areas E. Ky and S. Wv. flooded not just the ones where surface mining occured?
Old School Wrote:The majority of coal seams mined by surface mining methods can not be mined by underground methods.

Could the fact that we had 3 to 5 inches of rain have anything to do with memorial day flood of 2004. If I remember correctly all areas E. Ky and S. Wv. flooded not just the ones where surface mining occured?

The memorial day flood of 2004 was started by the 3 to 5 inches of rain. It was upgraded a notch when 2 Strip mining ponds that were very unstable due to the lack of concern by the coal industries broke loose and flooded almost every home up Emily Creek, Wolfe Creek, And pigeon roost. Had the ponds not been there or even been maintained properly the flood would not have been as bad for that area.
Ever been to Martin County Sir? We Know what its like for the Coal Industries to Piiss down are back and tell us its raining.

Im sure you remember October 11 2000 just as clear as i do. If not here is a history lesson. The Martin County Sludge Spill! When the bottom of a coal sludge impoundment owned by Massey Energy released Over 300 million gallons of slurry down two tributaries of the Tug Fork River. The Spill filled the creeks 5 feet deep of sludge. Filling almost every Coldwater yard with nothing but oozing sludge. The water supply for over 27,000 residents was contaminated, and all aquatic life in Coldwater Fork and Wolf Creek was killed. You can walk outside to any creek bank in martin county and just turn a rock over and its black. The fish are finally coming back 10 years later.

U.S. Secretary of Labor Elaine Chao, wife of Sen. Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.), oversaw the Mine Safety and Health Administration at the time. Chao place a McConnell staffer in charge of the MSHA investigation into the spill. In 2002, a $5,600 fine was levied. That September Massey gave $100,000 to the National Republican Senatorial Committee, chaired by McConnell.

$5,600? That ought to clean everything up!

I don't want no coal miner to lose his job. But the coal industries have put the workers and the citizens around them in danger for years. There finally getting a taste of there own medicine.

[Image: sludge.jpg]

Go watch This Video. http://appalshop.org/sludge/video/Sludge...20High.mov
Anybody ever come up RT 23 from VA. just before you get to Shelby Valley and see that ugly *** strip mine on the left side of the road?
Wildcatk23 Wrote:Ever been to Martin County Sir? We Know what its like for the Coal Industries to Piiss down are back and tell us its raining.

Im sure you remember October 11 2000 just as clear as i do. If not here is a history lesson. The Martin County Sludge Spill! When the bottom of a coal sludge impoundment owned by Massey Energy released Over 300 million gallons of slurry down two tributaries of the Tug Fork River. The Spill filled the creeks 5 feet deep of sludge. Filling almost every Coldwater yard with nothing but oozing sludge. The water supply for over 27,000 residents was contaminated, and all aquatic life in Coldwater Fork and Wolf Creek was killed. You can walk outside to any creek bank in martin county and just turn a rock over and its black. The fish are finally coming back 10 years later.

U.S. Secretary of Labor Elaine Chao, wife of Sen. Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.), oversaw the Mine Safety and Health Administration at the time. Chao place a McConnell staffer in charge of the MSHA investigation into the spill. In 2002, a $5,600 fine was levied. That September Massey gave $100,000 to the National Republican Senatorial Committee, chaired by McConnell.

I don't want no coal miner to lose his job. But the coal industries have put the workers and the citizens around them in danger for years. There finally getting a taste of there own medicine.

+1 These people on here could care less about you, they only care about making money for themselves. Like I said, the person that wrote that letter to her could care less about their generation of their family behind them, they are typical conservatives, they only care about the here and now. "God" is going to destroy the Earth before we have to worry about it."
What got me about the letter was her use of generosity of the coal companies. LOL what a fool. These companies rape and pillage our state, endanger our workers and citizens. They poison our waterways, and endanger us on the roads. They dont care about everyday citizens, they donate money to act like they care, to try and keep people quiet while they go about their business.

I have no problem with coal mining if the companies involved ran it properly. However, that is not the case, and because someone doesnt want to lose their job, they are okay with poisoning their kids, and everyone elses kids with dirty water.

IMO if coal mining cant be done properly, then it doesnt need to be done at all. We will build a nuclear plant to replace the energy loss so we can "Keep the lights on"
Wildcatk23 Wrote:Ever been to Martin County Sir? We Know what its like for the Coal Industries to Piiss down are back and tell us its raining.

I could care less if they are out of a job or not. Maybe they will ban together and make the companies clean up their act. If this happens, maybe they will reclaim their career.
Beetle01 Wrote:What got me about the letter was her use of generosity of the coal companies. LOL what a fool. These companies rape and pillage our state, endanger our workers and citizens. They poison our waterways, and endanger us on the roads. They dont care about everyday citizens, they donate money to act like they care, to try and keep people quiet while they go about their business.

I have no problem with coal mining if the companies involved ran it properly. However, that is not the case, and because someone doesnt want to lose their job, they are okay with poisoning their kids, and everyone elses kids with dirty water.

IMO if coal mining cant be done properly, then it doesnt need to be done at all. We will build a nuclear plant to replace the energy loss so we can "Keep the lights on"
:rockon:
Beetle01 Wrote:What got me about the letter was her use of generosity of the coal companies. LOL what a fool. These companies rape and pillage our state, endanger our workers and citizens. They poison our waterways, and endanger us on the roads. They dont care about everyday citizens, they donate money to act like they care, to try and keep people quiet while they go about their business.

Agreed 100%
If Obama succeeds in bankrupting the coal industry, there won't be much left of eastern Kentucky's economy except for the meth trade and ambulance chasing lawyers. Even the lawyers will start to flee if the area's main employer goes under.

Wikipedia is a wonderful tool isn't it WC.

You do realize that this disaster was not caused by flooding, and the impoundment did not break, a portion of a underground mine was not sealed properly, and the impoundment was built over this section of the mine. When the old underground mine caved in, the impoundment drained into the abandoned mine and out the portals then into the creeks.

We all need to realize that these types of disasters happen, we've had nuclear spills, oil spills, chemical spills etc. that have temporarily damaged property. The important thing is that we learn from these accidents to ensure they never happen again. It has been almost 10 years since the Martin County spill happened and nearly 40 years after the Buffalo Creek disasater. After each, new techniques were developed to ensure these disaster do not repeat themselves.

Trust me this disaster cost Massey more than the $5,600 fine you mentioned. Massey spent hundreds of millions of dollars on this spill.

+ 1

Hoot and OS couldn't give a **** less about everybody's kids, as long as coal goes on.
TheRealVille Wrote:+1 These people on here could care less about you, they only care about making money for themselves. Like I said, the person that wrote that letter to her could care less about their generation of their family behind them, they are typical conservatives, they only care about the here and now. "God" is going to destroy the Earth before we have to worry about it."

This from a person who said he voted for Obama and the dems. because it helps the unions.

You accuse the coal industry of poisoning the water supply, but yet you advocate nuclear power. Check out the leaks and near leaks at research facilities, power plants and at storage disposal areas. http://www.lutins.org/nukes.html

Doesn't Nuclear power need uranium? Don't they have to mine uranium?
Obama is not serious about nuclear power either. He has squashed plans to open the only developed nuclear waste facility in the country. I wonder how many people would prefer living near a nuclear power plant over a coal-fired plant.
Old School Wrote:Wikipedia is a wonderful tool isn't it WC.

You do realize that this disaster was not caused by flooding, and the impoundment did not break, a portion of a underground mine was not sealed properly, and the impoundment was built over this section of the mine. When the old underground mine caved in, the impoundment drained into the abandoned mine and out the portals then into the creeks.

We all need to realize that these types of disasters happen, we've had nuclear spills, oil spills, chemical spills etc. that have temporarily damaged property. The important thing is that we learn from these accidents to ensure they never happen again. It has been almost 10 years since the Martin County spill happened and nearly 40 years after the Buffalo Creek disasater. After each, new techniques were developed to ensure these disaster do not repeat themselves.

Trust me this disaster cost Massey more than the $5,600 fine you mentioned. Massey spent hundreds of millions of dollars on this spill.

I never said anything about a flood causing the accident first of all. But yes 5,600 was all they was fined. They probably spent much more cleaning it up but there should have been a hefty fine.
"Doesn't Nuclear power need uranium? Don't they have to mine uranium?"

one uranium mine supplies the same amount of energy content as nine coal mines
Old School Wrote:Wikipedia is a wonderful tool isn't it WC.

Kinda lived through it To old school. Your views and opinions fit your name.
Wildcatk23 Wrote:I never said anything about a flood causing the accident first of all. But yes 5,600 was all they was fined. They probably spent much more cleaning it up but there should have been a hefty fine.
According to 60 Minutes, the $5,600 number is bogus. You should look for a better source than Wikipedia on which to base an argument. The anti-coal groups are pretty good at spreading propaganda. Their lies often find there way to Wikipedia.

(60 Minutes quoted a former MSHA manager, who said the fine was $100,000+, which is still small considering the damage but Massey's quick response to the spill and large expenditures on the clean up should have weighed in their favor.)

[INDENT]
Quote:Wikipedia is the best thing ever. Anyone in the world can write anything they want about any subject. So you know you are getting the best possible information. --Steve Carell as Michael Scott
[/INDENT]
Hoot Gibson Wrote:According to 60 Minutes, the $5,600 number is bogus. You should look for a better source than Wikipedia on which to base an argument. The anti-coal groups are pretty good at spreading propaganda. Their lies often find there way to Wikipedia.

(60 Minutes quoted a former MSHA manager, who said the fine was $100,000+, which is still small considering the damage but Massey's quick response to the spill and large expenditures on the clean up should have weighed in their favor.)

[INDENT][/INDENT]

Jack Spadaro tried to tell the truth did he not? And was fired when the bush administration took over Coal investigation.

Jack Spadaro has made it his life's work to figure out why these spills happen and how to stop them. But right now he is awaiting final word from officials at the U.S. Mine Safety and Health Administration (MSHA), a wing of the U.S. Department of Labor that is a lead regulatory agency for the coal industry, as to whether he will retain his job as the superintendent of the National Mine Safety and Health Academy, MSHA's training facility [editor's note: he was fired]. His superiors are accusing him of a raft of misbehaviors -- including "abusing his authority" and "failing to follow instructions." But as far as he's concerned, the reason he's facing dismissal is very simple: He's been in hot water since January 2001 -- when Bush administration officials took control of the Martin County Coal investigation.

Before the change in political administration, Spadaro and his teammates had been uncovering information that had far-reaching implications for both Massey Energy (the parent company of Martin County Coal and a major contributor to the Republican Party) and the coal industry as a whole. Testimony and documents revealed that executives at Martin County Coal and federal regulators were aware that there was potential for a catastrophic failure at the slurry impoundment but didn't take proper actions to avoid it. In particular, an MSHA engineer had made a list of specific safety recommendations to Martin County Coal and MSHA district officials following a 100-million gallon spill in May 1994. But MSHA and Martin not only largely ignored the recommendations, MSHA actually allowed Martin to add coal waste to its impoundment.

http://reclaimdemocracy.org/articles_200..._spill.php
Hoot Gibson Wrote:Obama is not serious about nuclear power either. He has squashed plans to open the only developed nuclear waste facility in the country. I wonder how many people would prefer living near a nuclear power plant over a coal-fired plant.

Id be fine with a nuclear power plant nearby. Atleast our waterways would get better. Pretty sad you cant even eat fish out of most of our waterways due to the pollutants put in them by coal companies and other businesses like AK, Marathon, Dow Chem.

However, it has to be done right, I know accidents happen, but it seems that 99% of the time "accidents" occur due to a company trying to cut corners to save money, like the Gulf oil spill.

If a company is found to be negligent, and depending on the severity of the results of that negligence, that company should be fined out of business. You do this a few times and these companies would get their butts in check. First thing to do is to get rid of lobbyists in Washington. Even Obama who spoke out against lobbyists his whole campaign has fallen victim to the lures and promises they offer.

For those that think fining a company out of business would hurt all the regular everyday employees to much, I have a plan for that also. Obviously, if there is a need for this service, such as coal mining, as there is currently a big need for it, someone is going to step in and fill the gaps. So obviously the mines and stuff owned by that company are going to be a hot item for other energy companies. The govt steps in, in an arbitrary role only to oversee the sale of said properties and equipment, ensuring benefits and wages currently obtained by the employees stay in effect. Pretty simple concept.

I am a conservative, and I am for limited government, but when these companies are literally killing American citizens with there improper business tactics, that is when we need our govt most. Our govt is there to protect us, and ensure our safety, well being, and God given rights, in a limited role, but it does have a role.
Wildcatk23 Wrote:Jack Spadaro tried to tell the truth did he not? And was fired when the bush administration took over Coal investigation.
Every regulatory department in the US government has its share of anti-industry employees. Lynn Martin, a Republican who served as Interior Secretary under George H. W. Bush, was one of the most anti-coal crusaders that we have ever had. She fancied herself a potential presidential candidate and engaged in a vendetta against the coal industry to generate publicity for herself.

Do you want to correct the record about the amount of the fine that Massey was assessed? I assume that since you discovered Spadaro's name that you probably stumbled upon the exact amount of the fine as well.
Hoot Gibson Wrote:Every regulatory department in the US government has its share of anti-industry employees. Lynn Martin, a Republican who served as Interior Secretary under George H. W. Bush, was one of the most anti-coal crusaders that we have ever had. She fancied herself a potential presidential candidate and engaged in a vendetta against the coal industry to generate publicity for herself.

Do you want to correct the record about the amount of the fine that Massey was assessed? I assume that since you discovered Spadaro's name that you probably stumbled upon the exact amount of the fine as well.

Yes The Correct amount is not what u have given either.

Instead, the number was whittled down to two with a total fine of $110,000. Massey Energy appealed those citations; one was removed. The only federal violation Massey is cited with is for failing to properly notify MSHA about changes in water flow from the impoundment; fine: $55,000.

A fine by the state of Kentucky was much stiffer. (Martin County Coal) agreed in the summer of 2002 to pay $3.25 million in penalties and damages, the largest mining-related fine in the state's history.

Massey Energy says it has spent over $40 million in cleanup costs. But Massey's CEO, Don Blankenship, also announced during a conference call with investment bankers on July 31, 2003, that the company had just won a $21 million insurance settlement for property damage and business interruptions that resulted from the October 2000 slurry spill.
Wildcatk23 Wrote:Yes The Correct amount is not what u have given either.

Instead, the number was whittled down to two with a total fine of $110,000. Massey Energy appealed those citations; one was removed. The only federal violation Massey is cited with is for failing to properly notify MSHA about changes in water flow from the impoundment; fine: $55,000.

A fine by the state of Kentucky was much stiffer. (Martin County Coal) agreed in the summer of 2002 to pay $3.25 million in penalties and damages, the largest mining-related fine in the state's history.

Massey Energy says it has spent over $40 million in cleanup costs. But Massey's CEO, Don Blankenship, also announced during a conference call with investment bankers on July 31, 2003, that the company had just won a $21 million insurance settlement for property damage and business interruptions that resulted from the October 2000 slurry spill.
So you are criticizing Massey for paying insurance premiums and then collecting benefits to which it was entitled after the accident? How is that related to the millions of dollars in fines that Massey paid?
Hoot Gibson Wrote:So you are criticizing Massey for paying insurance premiums and then collecting benefits to which it was entitled after the accident? How is that related to the millions of dollars in fines that Massey paid?

I'm criticizing massey for adding coal waste to its impoundment. After they was aware of the that there was potential for a catastrophic failure at the slurry impoundment but didn't take proper actions to avoid it.
Wildcatk23 Wrote:I'm criticizing massey for adding coal waste to its impoundment. After they was aware of the that there was potential for a catastrophic failure at the slurry impoundment but didn't take proper actions to avoid it.
What should Massey have done with the slurry? They had an approved, permitted impoundment designed by competent engineers for slurry disposal. Why was it wrong for them to dispose of the slurry in a legal manner?
Hoot Gibson Wrote:What should Massey have done with the slurry? They had an approved, permitted impoundment designed by competent engineers for slurry disposal. Why was it wrong for them to dispose of the slurry in a legal manner?

Spadaro and his teammates had been uncovering information that had far-reaching implications for both Massey Energy (the parent company of Martin County Coal and a major contributor to the Republican Party) and the coal industry as a whole. Testimony and documents revealed that executives at Martin County Coal and federal regulators were aware that there was potential for a catastrophic failure at the slurry impoundment but didn't take proper actions to avoid it. In particular, an MSHA engineer had made a list of specific safety recommendations to Martin County Coal and MSHA district officials following a 100-million gallon spill in May 1994. But MSHA and Martin not only largely ignored the recommendations, MSHA actually allowed Martin to add coal waste to its impoundment.

They knew of The risk. And Yet Couldnt Care less for what could have happened. They could have made another pond. If the thing was a hazard with a 100 million gallons kinda pushing it with 300 million gallons dont you think.
Here's the way I see it:

Unless the government can come up with a better solution for coal mining in EKY & WV, then we need to appreciate what our coal companies do for our area. Accidents happen to everyone, and I'm sure the coal companies want to avoid any kind of accident. Although accidents may happen and although some of them may have been prevented, we need to take a stand for our local coal companies. They're the reason for many of the new jobs and public entertainment venues in our area (i.e. MAC, Expo Center, Rec Centers, ball fields, etc).

But I'm for anything that keeps EKY going, whether that is by coal, natural gas, trees, factories, etc. Unfortunately, right now it's coal.
Pages: 1 2 3