Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mr. Basketball
Watts at McCreary Central is the best I have seen. Hands down.
mrsportsfan Wrote:Elisha is only a walk-on THIS YEAR IF PITINO doesn't haven't a scholly available. He hasn't ruled one out this year. He will be on scholarship starting next year, so stop the, he's only a walk-on crap. He was never meant to be a walk-on, therefore, he is referred to as a preferred walk on status, when he is mentioned by Louisville.

That's the same promise Pitino made to Richie Phares of Scott Co. Time will tell if he follows through on his promises to these young men. I hope he does.
I would say sewell will still get it due to the crazy schedul, but I wouldnt rule out Justice or Pittman.
kywldcat01 Wrote:Every other day there's a different "Justice v Sewell" debate going on in different threads.

It gets old.

We could very well end up not seeing either of these two win the award.

Let's not forget this is one of the deepest senior classes in the history of Kentucky high school basketball.

Chiles or Jones of Ballard could very well sneak up and take this award. They play on the best team in the state and also are putting up similar numbers to Justice and Sewell.

Mr. Basketball is WIDE OPEN right now, regardless of what a few media members say. A good showing at the sweet 16 or state championship run can change a writer's mind quickly.

You talk on here as if you know someone personally and what their vote is going to be. I can't bring myself to believe that you have as much inside information to know that the award isn't leaning towards any one player. Pretty much this entire site was saying the award would go to either Sewell or Justice. Then, as soon as Sewell's team loses, it's WIDE OPEN. Funny how Justice ALWAYS gets discredited on here.
PC_You_Know Wrote:You talk on here as if you know someone personally and what their vote is going to be. I can't bring myself to believe that you have as much inside information to know that the award isn't leaning towards any one player. Pretty much this entire site was saying the award would go to either Sewell or Justice. Then, as soon as Sewell's team loses, it's WIDE OPEN. Funny how Justice ALWAYS gets discredited on here.

How is Justice getting discredited? Because i said the race is wide open? :eyeroll:

Writers and media try to make it sound like a 2 horse race for the simple fact that it draws more interest and debate from folks like us. Do you honestly not see the "PR move" by everyone pitting this as a race between the Louisville kid (Sewell) and the kid going to Louisville as a walk on? (Justice)

Everyone considers Justice as a top 3 or 4 candidate so please don't sit here and act like anyone is taking away from the kid. Don't get so defensive anytime mentions his name. A good showing at the sweet 16 can sway a lot of writers to choose one kid over another.

This race won't be decided until the sweet 16 ends. IF Justice has a good showing, he very well could win the award. But until it's all said and done, this race is indeed wide open.
dores legend Wrote:Probably Sewell. Even though they lost in region, he is very good. Justice is also extremely talented but I think it comes down to recognition. People know who Justice is, but probably don't get to see him play as much as Sewell.

i say they didnt see HOOD play that much either beening from madisonville and not having a very good team.
PC_You_Know Wrote:You talk on here as if you know someone personally and what their vote is going to be. I can't bring myself to believe that you have as much inside information to know that the award isn't leaning towards any one player. Pretty much this entire site was saying the award would go to either Sewell or Justice. Then, as soon as Sewell's team loses, it's WIDE OPEN. Funny how Justice ALWAYS gets discredited on here.

I hear what you're saying PC. I've never read any thing about Watts, that kw01 has posted on this site, and know he's the best. Trinity loses, Sewells stock drops. To me that puts EJ in front, But to some it's wide open.:please:
I'm don't know what voters consider when they vote for Mr. Basketball, but if I had a vote, what someone is going to do in the future would not factor into it at all. Such as Justice being a walk-on next year. I do know he's won 2 All A state championships, several All A regional championships, probably 3 straight trips to sweet 16, all state honors, 15th region MVP more than once & I'm sure there's more --- that's just what I know about him.

By the way I was born and raised in Wayland Ky, home of the 1st Mr. Basketball ever "King" Kelly Coleman:rockon:
The Sniper Wrote:I'm don't know what voters consider when they vote for Mr. Basketball, but if I had a vote, what someone is going to do in the future would not factor into it at all. Such as Justice being a walk-on next year. I do know he's won 2 All A state championships, several All A regional championships, probably 3 straight trips to sweet 16, all state honors, 15th region MVP more than once & I'm sure there's more --- that's just what I know about him.

By the way I was born and raised in Wayland Ky, home of the 1st Mr. Basketball ever "King" Kelly Coleman:rockon:

He has the schools scoring and assists record, not to mention the state steals record, anyone else going for Mr. Basketball this year own a state record? I don't think so unless it's something small like most games played or something.
rojas Wrote:Watts at McCreary Central is the best I have seen. Hands down.

You need to get out more. Don't get me wrong he's a great athlete but I wouldn't even consider him for Mr. Basketball. His team has been to one region final where they lost. They might have won one maybe two district tournaments. No Resume for Mr. Basketball. It's about a four horse race. If SV makes it to the final four which is very likely because of the draw Justice would be the front runner from where I stand.
WoJo Wrote:When do they announce the winner?
I think the school of the winning player is notified on the 26th!
Hopefully it is Valley that gets the call
For those of you touting Justice because of this record or that record, you do realize it's a ONE SEASON award and not a career award, right?

BTW, Ferguson of Elliott Co put up better numbers than Justice last year, finished in the top 10 all time in scoring, and also made it to the final 4, but still didn't win Mr. Basketball.

Oh...and Hood's Madisonville team lost in the district championship and 1st round of region but he still won the award.

There's more to winning the award than team success and how far you go in the post season. Sewell has continually proved himself this season. He won't be knocked out of the running simpy because they lost in the first round of region. That's simply wishful thinking by SOME of you EKY fans.
The Sniper Wrote:I'm don't know what voters consider when they vote for Mr. Basketball, but if I had a vote, what someone is going to do in the future would not factor into it at all. Such as Justice being a walk-on next year. I do know he's won 2 All A state championships, several All A regional championships, probably 3 straight trips to sweet 16, all state honors, 15th region MVP more than once & I'm sure there's more --- that's just what I know about him.

What does a kid's future have to do with whether they win or not? It's about NOW. There's been several Mr. Basketballs who didn't do squat in college but were really good high school players.

And All "a" accomplishments aren't that impressive. If you're going to list anything, list All state honors. Voters could care less you were MVP of the "small school tournament."

Why do you think the KHSAA isn't affiliated with the All A? It's simply not important to them. It's just another tournament.
rojas Wrote:Watts at McCreary Central is the best I have seen. Hands down.

I don't think he is as good of a player as Justice guard wise, but in every other aspect of the game I would take him. He is an awsome player!
With the Sports Illustrated article, the Midwest game and the steals record, I think EJ is at the top of the heap now. I don't know if the walk-on stuff will hurt him, but if it doesn't, I now see him winning it.
TheRealVille Wrote:With the Sports Illustrated article, the Midwest game and the steals record, I think EJ is at the top of the heap now. I don't know if the walk-on stuff will hurt him, but if it doesn't, I now see him winning it.

Didn't the Elliott Co boys get the same recognition last year?

An article and all star game don't make you the best player in the state.

For comparison, Scotty Hopson was a MCDonalds All American and still didn't win the award in 08. No disrespect to EJ but that's a little more prestigious than some midwest all star game.
It would hurt kywildcat01 on a personal level is Elisha were to win Mr. Basketball.
PC_You_Know Wrote:It would hurt kywildcat01 on a personal level is Elisha were to win Mr. Basketball.

I'm getting the same feeling.
Benchwarmer Wrote:I'm getting the same feeling.

He has every excuse for why Elisha shouldn't win.
PC_You_Know Wrote:He has every excuse for why Elisha shouldn't win.

Benchwarmer Wrote:I'm getting the same feeling.

PC_You_Know Wrote:It would hurt kywildcat01 on a personal level is Elisha were to win Mr. Basketball.

I have no reason to be upset if Justice wins the award. I've been very complimentary of the kid this year and have said he's one of the top 3 candidates for the award so how am I being negative about the kid?

I simply give an unbiased opinion so you EKY folks naturally don't agree with me since it goes against what you think. There's more to the award than what you guys are mentioning. That's all I'm saying.

Like I said over and over again, don't get so defensive anytime someone doesn't agree with you or mentions Justice. It's only a high school forum. The world will go on.

1st off - I want EJ to win Mr. Basketbal. :Thumbs:

Second - If you are going to try and throw a little hype out there for a player. Please make sure you speak the correct hype!

He has only won 2 All "A" Regional Championships - 09 & 10
08 - Paintsville
07 - Paintsville
06 - SF

He has only been to the Sweet 16 twice (07 & 09), If he makes it back this season (Which they will), that would make 3. BUT, not 3 in a row.
09 - SV
08 - Paintsville
07 - SV
06 - JCHS
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

“Relax, all right? Don’t try to strike everybody out. Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they’re fascist. Throw some ground balls – it’s more democratic.”

Crash Davis
kywldcat01 Wrote:I have no reason to be upset if Justice wins the award. I've been very complimentary of the kid this year and have said he's one of the top 3 candidates for the award so how am I being negative about the kid?

I simply give an unbiased opinion so you EKY folks naturally don't agree with me since it goes against what you think. There's more to the award than what you guys are mentioning. That's all I'm saying.

Like I said over and over again, don't get so defensive anytime someone doesn't agree with you or mentions Justice. It's only a high school forum. The world will go on.

Actually you opinions on here are more along the lines of "it's the internet and I'm never wrong".
PC_You_Know Wrote:Actually you opinions on here are more along the lines of "it's the internet and I'm never wrong".

You know...you might not agree with me cause you're a SV homer to the fullest, but I get a lot of pm's thanking me for bringing an unbiased opinion to the board in regards to ALL TEAMS. I've actually had several of your SV fans send me pm's telling me to overlook your posts because your views aren't popular amongst the "realist" SV and EKY fans.

You may want to think a little more before you post.
kywldcat01 Wrote:You know...you might not agree with me cause you're a SV homer to the fullest, but I get a lot of pm's thanking me for bringing an unbiased opinion to the board in regards to ALL TEAMS. I've actually had several of your SV fans send me pm's telling me to overlook your posts because your views aren't popular amongst the "realist" SV and EKY fans.

You may want to think a little more before you post.

Deja vu huh? I get a lot of posts telling me to ignore you because you don't think EKY basketball is relevant.

it is bothering him, i believe he is about to cry.
You people kill me, Just because he is from Eastern KY doesnt mean he should win every award in the world. Get out of your HOLLERS and watch others teams. You said the samething about Landon Slone, he should be a Mcdonald AA. Lmao yea for Pikeville College. Plain and Simple noone from Eastern KY is gonna make anything of themself dealing with basketball. This is not a game of Chess, you need skills to play Bball. No HIllbilly has it!!!!
RavenBoy Wrote:You people kill me, Just because he is from Eastern KY doesnt mean he should win every award in the world. Get out of your HOLLERS and watch others teams. You said the samething about Landon Slone, he should be a Mcdonald AA. Lmao yea for Pikeville College. Plain and Simple noone from Eastern KY is gonna make anything of themself dealing with basketball. This is not a game of Chess, you need skills to play Bball. No HIllbilly has it!!!!

You may want to do a little investigating into your statement there hoss.
I believe the eastern part of the state has produced 7 Mr Basketballs and 5 of them have come from the 15th region. Just letting you know Mr BB can come from any part of the state. Although I do agree with you about some of the zelous fans in Eastern Ky.
Now if that does not sound like a hicks post

watch him and you will see the talent and he will make a believer.

I graduated from Dorton High School the same year King Kelly graduated and Elisha Justice is the best true point guard from Dorton or Shelby Valley ever and is also a fine young man with excellent grades, character,and plays the game he loves with all his heart. Keep it going young man, SV fans are in support of you.