Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pikeville's Ben Howard Resigns
Hustle Wrote:If it's what I'm thinking now, then you're right, it doesen't need to be mentioned on this thread. The administration should have there butts kicked for allowing this to happen.

I agree they should! Let's not forget about all the bigwigs in Pikeville that stuck their neck out for this boy. They look silly now! The Administration shouldn't have given to the pressure of the big money bigwigs in town.
Sounds like Pikeville is in a tailspin and for them to compete at a higher level they need kids from out of district. The problem is Shelby Valley and Pike Central are on equal ground(if not higher) with them now and Belfry ran off and left them a long time ago.
I really hate to hear this.

Wish nothing but the best for the Panthers and their future!
Regardless if the public needs to "know" about it or not, if there was just cause for him to be forced to resign, quit, be "released" of his duties, the public WILL find out. I personally am stumped with the coaching changes going on over that way but what I hate most about it..... it's upsetting for the kids. They never know what to expect when they come out to play. Different coach, different season, different game plan... Learn everything new all over again.... It has to be rough on them! Maybe some of the grownups (administration,parents, and coaches alike) need to grow up and think of the kids for a change!!!

If you need assistance feel free to e-mail me at:
[email=phs1986@bluegrassrivals.com]phs1986@bluegrassrivals.com[/email]
Panther Thunder Wrote:Go back to figuring out how to Hazard can keep doing less with more. You have no clue what is going on.

I may not have the slighest of whats going on but for the program and the young men of the pikeville football team it is very hard and frustratiing to have to deal with a new coach and learning every over and over again. Even you have to agree with that. Pikeville should of atleast give the coach atleast 2 or 3 year to see how he was going to pan out. Pikeville was a very impressive team this year but just didnt make the big plays and they were young too.
bac2369 Wrote:I may not have the slighest of whats going on but for the program and the young men of the pikeville football team it is very hard and frustratiing to have to deal with a new coach and learning every over and over again. Even you have to agree with that. Pikeville should of atleast give the coach atleast 2 or 3 year to see how he was going to pan out. Pikeville was a very impressive team this year but just didnt make the big plays and they were young too.
Under normal circumstances, I would absolutely agree. But there was no choice to be made, it had to be done. There was nothing the administration could do. What was done had to be done. That is as blunt as I can put it without going into detail.
15thregionclass Wrote:Next,
Really? He left to come home bc he was forced out there just like he was last night. Keep drinking the kool aid! FYI His Dad is not at Letcher.

His dad was at Letcher this year and certainly is not being forced out.
Ben made his choice and resigned. Simple as that. Ill be the first to admit that the administration are not to blame for this one. I wish Ben GODspeed in whatever he does next. Though I am disappointed in his choice. I still count him as a friend and he will always be a Panther. Thats all Im posting in this thread.
I honesly saw this coming when they hired made the hire, not saying that I thought it would be Ben resigning or forced out or what ever just did not see any type of tenure. Going to some of you who want Mac through previous conversations with him I do not see him accepting the job even if it is offered. With that said I wish nothing but the best for the Pikeville program it really needs to get back on track. It has been 4 years of heartache for the fans and players it time for a MAJOR change.
Westside Wrote:I think that it is sad that some people seem to be happy with these developments. I was a freshman in 1987 playing up US 23 a few miles when Pikeville's reign began as state champs. Pikeville beat us by over 60 points one year, but I always rooted for them in the state championship. Pikeville football brought a positive image to Eastern Kentucky nationally which is very rare. I don't understand some people enjoying other people's heart ache. Ben is very young and has his whole life ahead of him. I don't know why he resigned and don't care. That is his business not mine. I wish Ben and Pikeville much luck and success in the future.

Very well said. Thanks.
Brooks4Prez Wrote:His dad was at Letcher this year and certainly is not being forced out.

My apologies if you thought I was saying Hillard was being forced out at Letcher. This is NOT the case. He and his wife have sold their home in Pikeville and are moving to Florida which is exactly where Ben will end up. Lets just hope he gets the help he needs to get down there.
OrangenowBlue Wrote:Sounds like Pikeville is in a tailspin and for them to compete at a higher level they need kids from out of district. The problem is Shelby Valley and Pike Central are on equal ground(if not higher) with them now and Belfry ran off and left them a long time ago.
Not so sure that there is all that much of a gap between PC, SV and Belfry anymore. What I see brewing in the near future is that they are the ones who will be rapidly closing the gap. Reckon the success of the two new Pike Co. contenders has anything to do with Pikeville's decline. Just asking, because I dont know , but does the recent improvement of PC and SV have anything to do with kids maybe staying put in the county systems and not entering the city system? Are they just not getting some of the kids they may have gotten in the past? You better believe it's been a huge factor in Paintsville's decline since the Matney era began at JC. It's been far from coincidental.
Ben Howard is a good guy, the thing is that PHS is exactly where they want to be. the administration at the school is not very interested in sports at this point. The would just as soon see sports fold all together, in my opinion this is why Ben left PHS. I wouod like to wish him the best.
Mr.Kimball Wrote:Since when has never not knowing anything about something ever stopped you from rambling on about it?:biggrin:

Difference between (one of many) you and me is that i admit when I don't know something, unlike you! See if M:moon:atney can cry about another thrashing and ask to buy out the contract!!
HD28 Wrote:Difference between (one of many) you and me is that i admit when I don't know something, unlike you! See if M:moon:atney can cry about another thrashing and ask to buy out the contract!!

Yeah right.:eyeroll: BTW , I'm just guessing that the Pikeville folk are not interested in hearing about any other subjects in this thread.
I sure hate this for Pikeville and the players. It is very tough to bring in a new coach, learn a new system and get used to different expectations. We have just went through all that when Copley joined us last year. One thing that made the transition easier was that for the first time the Administration was 100% behind this coach and supported the changes he wanted to make.

The powers that be in Pikeville need to make a decision based on the best interests of the players and the future of the program.
15thregionclass Wrote:My apologies if you thought I was saying Hillard was being forced out at Letcher. This is NOT the case. He and his wife have sold their home in Pikeville and are moving to Florida which is exactly where Ben will end up. Lets just hope he gets the help he needs to get down there.

No worries :Thumbs: And yes that is what I heard as well. Hopefully he can find a coaching job down there. He has what it takes to be a really good coach with a little more experience.
Panther Thunder Wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would absolutely agree. But there was no choice to be made, it had to be done. There was nothing the administration could do. What was done had to be done. That is as blunt as I can put it without going into detail.

AT first i wanted to bash the Administration for this.Thinking "here we go again'', but after talking to someone very close to this situation i agree with what you said. They had no choice. Very sad to here this.Ben & family certainly needs our prayers & thoughts. What was stated in the News Express did not & probably could not reveal everything.
Only those closes to the program know what happened. It had nothing to do with the adminstration,boosters or the pressures of the program its as simple as the coach made poor choices that directly affected the players that is who was let down. all the ranting and raving on this theard will not change any of this. the coach needs to take responsiblity for his actions and stop blaming ever thing else.
Big Five-0- Wrote:AT first i wanted to bash the Administration for this.Thinking "here we go again'', but after talking to someone very close to this situation i agree with what you said. They had no choice. Very sad to here this.Ben & family certainly needs our prayers & thoughts. What was stated in the News Express did not & probably could not reveal everything.
I wish the quotes in the paper had been more truthful.
Exactly. That is what was lacking.Maybe for legal reasons. who knows? Just VERY unfortunate that this happened.
buster Wrote:Only those closes to the program know what happened. It had nothing to do with the adminstration,boosters or the pressures of the program its as simple as the coach made poor choices that directly affected the players that is who was let down. all the ranting and raving on this theard will not change any of this. the coach needs to take responsiblity for his actions and stop blaming ever thing else.

I totally agree with you Buster. Boy Wonder needs to Man-Up and quit playing the blame game!!!!!!!
buster Wrote:Only those closes to the program know what happened. It had nothing to do with the adminstration,boosters or the pressures of the program its as simple as the coach made poor choices that directly affected the players that is who was let down. all the ranting and raving on this theard will not change any of this. the coach needs to take responsiblity for his actions and stop blaming ever thing else.

Agree 100%. You couldn't have said it better. And your right again in saying our players were let down. Just hope they hang in there because they sure didn't need this.
Panther Thunder Wrote:I wish the quotes in the paper had been more truthful.
I'm friends with one of the guys who works for the paper and actually wrote the story. And we talked about this and he was saying that nobody could legally go on the record with anything and that for legal reasons he couldn't put anything that wasn't quoted, which is understandable. He was pretty upset just about the whole situation because he said Ben was a great guy, I never met Ben but heard so as well.
To add one more thing, they are very few people who knows the entire details, I mean we all know what happen but few know the entire story. But I wonder if the entire story with every become public and maybe it's best it don't.
But hopefully for the kids sake and the fans they are able to get the right hire this time and get back on track.
Good luck
Heard from a source in Pikeville that they were not going to open the job up. That they were going to hire within.
15thregionclass Wrote:My apologies if you thought I was saying Hillard was being forced out at Letcher. This is NOT the case. He and his wife have sold their home in Pikeville and are moving to Florida which is exactly where Ben will end up. Lets just hope he gets the help he needs to get down there.

Are they going to coach a school down in Florida? If so which one is it?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[COLOR="Blue"]
My Priorities are:
1)God
2)Family
3)Cougar Athletics!

Everything else doesn't matter![/COLOR]
Big Five-0- Wrote:AT first i wanted to bash the Administration for this.Thinking "here we go again'', but after talking to someone very close to this situation i agree with what you said. They had no choice. Very sad to here this.Ben & family certainly needs our prayers & thoughts. What was stated in the News Express did not & probably could not reveal everything.

Two failed head coaching jobs for this coach...same results at both places...just plain sad...
I would like to commend the administration for their quick actions, and the players for playing through 4 different head coaches. That being said I would like to say that Mr. Howard made a stupid mistake twice.