Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pikeville's Ben Howard Resigns
Keeping or replacing a coach should not be based on one game or even one season.
15thregionclass Wrote:Belfry 99, you are right on the money. All I can say is look at his past does anyone remember why he left Letcher?

I think Mr. Kimball has a good idea. It may be time for the return of Redbull Howell. He should at least be a part of the next coaching staff at PHS.

He left Letcher to come home and coach......his dad is sill HC there.

Someone brought up the loss to Harlan......Pikeville is not very good and has not been very good for the last 3 years........its going to take 3-4 years to rebuild that place, IF it can be done at all.
I thought you said it wasnt appropriate discussing replacements when the rumor wasn't verified. You must have found out it to be fact too.
Next,
Really? He left to come home bc he was forced out there just like he was last night. Keep drinking the kool aid! FYI His Dad is not at Letcher.
cuppett777 Wrote:wow, i guess he couldnt get by on his dads name,hate to hear that

Ever heard the saying, "if you don't have anything good to say, don't say anything at all"?

Please use that method at all times possible...thanks.
15thregionclass Wrote:I thought you said it wasnt appropriate discussing replacements when the rumor wasn't verified. You must have found out it to be fact too.

I assume you're talking to me, but don't know since you didn't quote me in your post.

If you would, go back and read my post. I was not discussing who the new coach would be. I was saying they should have never forced McNamee out in the first place. If they hadn't done that, Pikeville wouldn't be in the mess that it's in.

And even if the rumors are false, and the coach is not leaving, Pikeville is still in a mess, and will be for another 2-3 years.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Comfort Eagle,
After reading your last post I realize I need to apologize. I totally agree with everything you have stated. Especailly where the program would be if Mac was still at the helm AND the mess they would continue to be in if these unverified facts were not true. So to you, my most sincere apology. Please accept.
15thregionclass Wrote:Comfort Eagle,
After reading your last post I realize I need to apologize. I totally agree with everything you have stated. Especailly where the program would be if Mac was still at the helm AND the mess they would continue to be in if these unverified facts were not true. So to you, my most sincere apology. Please accept.

Not a problem. I just think we should tread very lightly right now. Often times, where there's smoke, there's fire, but we need someone to come forward with a valid, proven source.

If it is indeed true, then I expect the school will make it known soon.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
He was not forced out at Letcher, period. I talked to him personally and I know that it was a hard decision for him to leave. I do not know what is going on at Pikeville but he left Letcher to return home............Officially his dad is still the coach here, realistically he is probably gone but as of now, he is still the head coach.............
I think he meant he was forced out of Shelby Valley. Not LCC.
58fan Wrote:He was not forced out at Letcher, period. I talked to him personally and I know that it was a hard decision for him to leave. I do not know what is going on at Pikeville but he left Letcher to return home............Officially his dad is still the coach here, realistically he is probably gone but as of now, he is still the head coach.............

Hillard will hang up the whistle once the 2nd semester starts in Jan.
Bobcat_Dad Wrote:Hillard will hang up the whistle once the 2nd semester starts in Jan.

What I figure too but have not heard if officially...
KYcoalminer Wrote:I think he meant he was forced out of Shelby Valley. Not LCC.

I hope this is not the same situation or remotely close..
15thregionclass Wrote:Next,
Really? He left to come home bc he was forced out there just like he was last night. Keep drinking the kool aid! FYI His Dad is not at Letcher.

His dad will not be at Letcher because he is retiring.............and Ben was not forced out either.
ComfortEagle Wrote:Imagine the progress he could have made with the program over these last 5-6 years had they let him stay.
I agree the program was very steady under his watch, but a lack of game changes in different positions has put PHS in a hole. However, This news is true. I guess now it is just waiting to be made public. And I don't think there is anything the administration could do. The fans got what we wanted, but it obviously did not work out.
I have spoken to a source in authority and the official statement is that Ben Howard did resign yesterday from his teaching and coaching position.

The Pikeville football coaching job is open again.
Thanks Fox Sports! Hope WYMT can confirm this.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[COLOR="Blue"]
My Priorities are:
1)God
2)Family
3)Cougar Athletics!

Everything else doesn't matter![/COLOR]
cougarpride08 Wrote:Thanks Fox Sports! Hope WYMT can confirm this.
East KY Broadcasting already has.
Then it won't be long before it is on Derek's, and Jeff's twitter page.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[COLOR="Blue"]
My Priorities are:
1)God
2)Family
3)Cougar Athletics!

Everything else doesn't matter![/COLOR]
Until i know the facts I will not speculate. I do know that Ben Howard has a great offensive mind and that he has the potential to be one of the best coaches ever. I also know that whatever his dad Hillard does--that he has touched the lives of many that will never forget him. I want nothing but the best for them both. They certainly contributed to the success of many eastern ky kids( mine included). So many times, people want to sit back and say this or that without knowing who or what they are talking about. The truth may be that he is gone--if so, I along with many wish them both the best.Instead of getting on here and giving people **** that are going through trials and tribulations, we should be offering them caring and support. I choose to do the latter
ComfortEagle Wrote:We're getting a little ahead of ourselves here. It's not appropriate to be discussing the new coaching possibilities when we don't even know for sure if the current coach is out or not.

I can't think for your video at the bottom of your screen! What are we talking about again?
ComfortEagle Wrote:I was saying they should have never forced McNamee out in the first place. If they hadn't done that, Pikeville wouldn't be in the mess that it's in.

And even if the rumors are false, and the coach is not leaving, Pikeville is still in a mess, and will be for another 2-3 years.

They never forced Mac out, he left because Central offered him a little more money & his wife a job as well, not teaching, something to do with administration if what i remember hearing at the time to be true, basically it was a better move financially for his family, can't blame the man for doing that at all, and no, we all loved playing for Mac, great man and a great coach, would have kept the program and the right track IMO

& yes, Pikeville is a mess, the administration needs to turn the place back into a football school like it was before and like how Belfry is now, i can't imagine how they expect the kids to wanna play and to have new kids want to come and play when Pikeville focuses everything on academics and such, dont get me wrong, grades come first, but the boys back in the day got that done and taken care of without it being forced down there throats daily like it is now, I hope they get it fixed sooner or later, you know it's killing the guys that use to be players and coaches at Pikeville that built the program up to that level and to see it where it is now
WOW. How can anyone concentrate.
Xerxes Wrote:WOW. How can anyone concentrate.

Yeah, Wow!!!!!
I wish I could think. My mind has drifted into another sport now!
Well, since Ben is gone, I PRAY they hire Mac as the head coach again, it would be the best decision they could make, Mac will right the ship within 2-3 years, he knows how to get kids to play, & as for coach Howell coming back to be the head coach, well, IMO i dont think that would be a good move for the program, as soft as the kids are at Pikeville he'd run every player off the field and scare the rest from coming out to play, Howell can be a good coach, but he has to have a bunch of players who are willing to take there coach screaming in there face and having alot of them demanded physically and mentally on and off the field, now if Mac did get the HC job, it wouldn't be so bad to hire Howell as an assistant, both of those men know Pikeville football inside and out, one thing is for sure though the administration at Pikeville dosen't need to hire anyone who dosen't know what Pikeville footbal is about, basically saying if they didn't play or coach at Pikeville during our glory years they don't need to be here as a HC
HoRnEt4EvEr Wrote:I just heard he resigned.Is there any truth to this?

""PIKEVILLE--WE'RE BACK ! (August 2009)

"So...is Pikeville still back? Or will they be back next year ?!
the watcher Wrote:Well, since Ben is gone, I PRAY they hire Mac as the head coach again, it would be the best decision they could make, Mac will right the ship within 2-3 years, he knows how to get kids to play, & as for coach Howell coming back to be the head coach, well, IMO i dont think that would be a good move for the program, as soft as the kids are at Pikeville he'd run every player off the field and scare the rest from coming out to play, Howell can be a good coach, but he has to have a bunch of players who are willing to take there coach screaming in there face and having alot of them demanded physically and mentally on and off the field, now if Mac did get the HC job, it wouldn't be so bad to hire Howell as an assistant, both of those men know Pikeville football inside and out, one thing is for sure though the administration at Pikeville dosen't need to hire anyone who dosen't know what Pikeville footbal is about, basically saying if they didn't play or coach at Pikeville during our glory years they don't need to be here as a HC

I disagree, I think that Pikeville may need new blood. Someone who knows the tradition, but not someone that has played or coached there.
Salimander Wrote:""PIKEVILLE--WE'RE BACK ! (August 2009)

"So...is Pikeville still back? Or will they be back next year ?!

Don't be a smart*** towards the program, & no, Pikeville is far from back, they have a long road ahead of them till they are back, it can be done no doubt about it, but ALOT of factors are gonna have to fall into place and ALOT of changes are going to have to be made, and not just with the head coach, the administration, the players and kids in school, the community, everyone within Pikeville city limits from your basic fans all the way to the people over seeing everything is gonna have to pull together to get this fixed, sadly though i don't see this happening over night... Pikeville needs to get back to winning region to get support, but that's a few steps ahead of what has to be done first....
Xerxes Wrote:I disagree, I think that Pikeville may need new blood. Someone who knows the tradition, but not someone that has played or coached there.

We tried that with Jackson and Copley and we know how that turned out...Not hating on them, both were good men, they just didn't know how Pikeville works. So I say they keep the HC job for someone who remembers what Pikeville is about
As a lifelong Prestonsburg Blackcat, this saddens me. Our battles against Pikeville, back in the day of the 80's were epic and the rivalry fierce. I personally hate to see a mountain school go though something like this. I root for all mountain teams, except for the team the Blackcats play on Friday nights. ALL mountain teams benefit from having several strong programs, and here's hoping that the Pikeville program gets back on track.