Poll: Which class has been stronger?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Class 2A
72.97%
Class 3A
27.03%
* You voted for this item.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Which Class has been Stronger: 2A or 3A?
they look pretty equal to me
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Matman Wrote:As i have said Prestonsburg is the exception. You have to consider the whole class not just the top team. The 3a teams are the only one that gave Pburg a game. They have walked through the 2a schools.

Prestonsburg has not played any of the top 10 2A teams yet. Class 3A is down this year and I think 2A would win 6 or 7 games if the top 10 from each class met.
I agree
SEKYFAN Wrote:Prestonsburg has not played any of the top 10 2A teams yet. Class 3A is down this year and I think 2A would win 6 or 7 games if the top 10 from each class met.

So you think Corbin is better than SC and Belfry? I just don't think they are. If SC would have beat Pburg do you think we would be having this conversation? Honest questions deserving of honest answers.
Matman Wrote:So you think Corbin is better than SC and Belfry? I just don't think they are. If SC would have beat Pburg do you think we would be having this conversation? Honest questions deserving of honest answers.

It's not really an "honest question" though. Why play the "what ifs" when THIS year's reality is in front of you ? The fact is...Prestonsburg DID beat SC...and Belfry...and Breathitt Co...and Pike Central.

FWIW... I -hope- Corbin isn't as good as SC and Belfry. With that said, Corbin's stats/records implies they're better.
oneijoe Wrote:It's not really an "honest question" though. Why play the "what ifs" when THIS year's reality is in front of you ? The fact is...Prestonsburg DID beat SC...and Belfry...and Breathitt Co...and Pike Central.

FWIW... I -hope- Corbin isn't as good as SC and Belfry. With that said, Corbin's stats/records implies they're better.

Exactly. Prestonsburg is better. Barely better. But non the less better. However the rest of the 2a feild is not. However if PC beats SC then i will admit that i am wrong. I will agree that all of 3a is week if PC wins the region.
BIGREDDAWG Wrote:I wouldn't call Murray or Corbin mediocre. Both are very good teams.:dontthink
why wouldn't you call Murray or Corbin mediocre?
Matman Wrote:Exactly. Prestonsburg is better. Barely better. But non the less better. However the rest of the 2a feild is not. However if PC beats SC then i will admit that i am wrong. I will agree that all of 3a is week if PC wins the region.

While I agree the upper 1/2 of 2A is better than the upper half of 3A, I don't know why PCC winning the region would lead you to a conclusion regarding an overall comparison. This one game says nothing about the rest of the class.
oneijoe Wrote:While I agree the upper 1/2 of 2A is better than the upper half of 3A, I don't know why PCC winning the region would lead you to a conclusion regarding an overall comparison. This one game says nothing about the rest of the class.

I was joking. However if PCC did beat SC i would take that to mean SC is not as good as i thought. Right now i believe SC and Pburg are as even as you can get. Their game was about as close as i have seen in years. However if SC loses to PCC it will show they are not as close as the game showed.
Comparing opponents and scores is never a good indicator !
Just because so and so beat so and so doesnt mean Team A is better than Team B ! You play the game on the field not on paper.
Could Central beat Fort Campbell? Not today and not tomorrow and not next week.
Matman Wrote:No the point hasn't been made. Anytime Belfry isn't top dog in their class then that class is down. This is not true.

False... Belfry is down.. Lou. Central is down... and Breathitt has been disappointing. Throw in traditional powerhouse Russell being down substantially and no dominant team out west. This is the weakest Belfry team since 2002, even so they still won the district in the regular season and the team who I feel will probably represent the East, Sheldon Clark, only beat them by 1 TD playing mistake free football.

3A is ultra competitive this year amongst themselves... in the past few years there have been teams now assigned to this class or formerly would have been in this enrollment bracket who could compete in nearly any class; Louisville Central (07-08), Belfry (07-08), Russell (05-06), Mercer County (06)... with several teams who were good enough to compete for a state title in 1A and 2A like Breathitt County (07-08), Belfry (05-06), Sheldon Clark (06), Somerset (07)....

This year not only is there no team I could see competing in any class across the board... there are only 2 or 3 teams I could even see factoring into the 2A race. Additionally, Ft. Campbell is on another level compared to any 3A team.

The median has risen in 3A, there are alot more "good" teams, but this year the "very good" teams just aren't there aside from Central. Meanwhile 2A has one "great" team and 3 or 4 "very good teams".
EKUAlum05 Wrote:False... Belfry is down.. Lou. Central is down... and Breathitt has been disappointing. Throw in traditional powerhouse Russell being down substantially and no dominant team out west. This is the weakest Belfry team since 2002, even so they still won the district in the regular season and the team who I feel will probably represent the East, Sheldon Clark, only beat them by 1 TD playing mistake free football.

3A is ultra competitive this year amongst themselves... in the past few years there have been teams now assigned to this class or formerly would have been in this enrollment bracket who could compete in nearly any class; Louisville Central (07-08), Belfry (07-08), Russell (05-06), Mercer County (06)... with several teams who were good enough to compete for a state title in 1A and 2A like Breathitt County (07-08), Belfry (05-06), Sheldon Clark (06), Somerset (07)....

This year not only is there no team I could see competing in any class across the board... there are only 2 or 3 teams I could even see factoring into the 2A race. Additionally, Ft. Campbell is on another level compared to any 3A team.

The median has risen in 3A, there are alot more "good" teams, but this year the "very good" teams just aren't there aside from Central. Meanwhile 2A has one "great" team and 3 or 4 "very good teams".

Nice post....:Thumbs:
TheBrahmaBull Wrote:They are located on a military base, of coarse there will be transfers of student athletes just as there are transfers of soldiers from base to base.

that was cold wasn't it? I'm sure those kids love to have to change homes all the time so they can play at Fort Campbell. It's THAT important
Doot Wrote:that was cold wasn't it? I'm sure those kids love to have to change homes all the time so they can play at Fort Campbell. It's THAT important

It's no fun to move, for sure. And a lot of army personel have to do it over and over.

Like I said earlier...it would be more unfair to the base kids to not let them play than the degree of unfairness that would bring to the rest of the state's high schools. Even if army brass is having a hand in it (NOT implying they do), it's still no less true.
I voted for 2A simply because of Ft. Campbell, they are better than in anyone in 3A. As for Newport Catholic, Prestonsburg and Desales I am sure that if they were in 3A they would all be solid teams near the top of the rankings but I am not so sure they would knock off Central and Somerset, who I feel are the best teams in 3A and I don't know if they would perform with the same consistency that they do in 2A if they were in 3A. And I seriously doubt that Corbin and Murray would be as good in 3A.
RoShamBo Wrote:I voted for 2A simply because of Ft. Campbell, they are better than in anyone in 3A. As for Newport Catholic, Prestonsburg and Desales I am sure that if they were in 3A they would all be solid teams near the top of the rankings but I am not so sure they would knock off Central and Somerset, who I feel are the best teams in 3A and I don't know if they would perform with the same consistency that they do in 2A if they were in 3A. And I seriously doubt that Corbin and Murray would be as good in 3A.

I disagree. Central may be the only team that would have the best shot at beating Fort Campbell, Prestonsburg, NewCath, DeSales, Corbin, and Murray. Somerset has a good team, but they really haven't played as tough of a schedule as the 2A teams I've listed.
oneijoe Wrote:It's no fun to move, for sure. And a lot of army personel have to do it over and over.

Like I said earlier...it would be more unfair to the base kids to not let them play than the degree of unfairness that would bring to the rest of the state's high schools. Even if army brass is having a hand in it (NOT implying they do), it's still no less true.

I do not know of anyone moving to Ft Cambell so their kid could play football. They are deployed quite frequently and if they do move there than they are more likely to miss their kids football career themselves. However you will see some different types of advantages. They have state of the art training facilities on post. Not to mention genetics. Can you imagine what your work ethic is going to be like when you see your dad/mom wake up at 4am to run 6 miles a day. On a side not i watched Ft Cambell win state while in Iraq. They played it on armed forces network. It might be the most telivised state championship game in history. Or as least played in the most countries.
2 a...pburg can beat any one in 3 a
TheBrahmaBull Wrote::Thumbs:

watch out for henry county.
Matman Wrote:I do not know of anyone moving to Ft Cambell so their kid could play football. They are deployed quite frequently and if they do move there than they are more likely to miss their kids football career themselves. However you will see some different types of advantages. They have state of the art training facilities on post. Not to mention genetics. Can you imagine what your work ethic is going to be like when you see your dad/mom wake up at 4am to run 6 miles a day. On a side not i watched Ft Cambell win state while in Iraq. They played it on armed forces network. It might be the most telivised state championship game in history. Or as least played in the most countries.

No doubt.

It had to be a nice pick-me-up for the troops to watch the Falcons win it.

:Thumbs:
oneijoe Wrote:Before the question this thread poses can be answered, there needs to be a little more specificity...

- If we're talking ALL of 3A vs. ALL of 2A, 3A would have the edge. The numbers advantage is sure to come out in such a large sample.

- If we're comparing each class's "top 10" or "top 5", 2A is clearly superior.

- If we're only talking locally (region 4)...2A has P-burg, Corbin and Shelby Valley. The rest are easily inferior to 3A's cluster of Belfry, SC, PCC, Mason Co., and Russell...

If 3A Region 3 teams like Breathitt Co. and Somerset are "borrowed" in this comparison, then 2A Region 3 teams like NewCath, DeSales, Cov. Holy Cross, and CAL must be included. In THAT comparison, I take 2A by a LOT.

hey dont forget owen county they was much better this year
Class 2a for sure!
From top to bottom 3A is better. If you take the top 10 2A teams and match themup against the top 10 3A teams then 2A is better.