Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Which Class has been Stronger: 2A or 3A?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
With the early fall of Belfry this season and Mason County upset at home, which class has been stronger this season: 2A or 3A? Why compare you ask? The schools are similar in enrollment and many play each other during the regular season.

Prestonsburg still undefeated in 2A...does that mean 2A is weaker? Different faces in 3A regional finals...does that make 3A stronger?

Thoughts?
jammin' jamey Wrote:With the early fall of Belfry this season and Mason County upset at home, which class has been stronger this season: 2A or 3A? Why compare you ask? The schools are similar in enrollment and many play each other during the regular season.

Prestonsburg still undefeated in 2A...does that mean 2A is weaker? Different faces in 3A regional finals...does that make 3A stronger?

Thoughts?

The only challenge Pburg has faced is from 3a. So i would say 2a is weaker with the exception of Pburg and Ft. Cambell. Its the second round of the playoffs and Pburg put 61 up in the first half.
Matman Wrote:The only challenge Pburg has faced is from 3a. So i would say 2a is weaker with the exception of Pburg and Ft. Cambell. Its the second round of the playoffs and Pburg put 61 up in the first half.

I have to concur, P'burg may be able to hold their own against 3A teams, but if put the top 10 in each class against each other then I believe it would get a little lopsided in favor of 3A.
From a 3A fan.....

It is clearly 2A this season.

Ft. Campbell would beat every 3A team by 2 TD's.
NewCath, Desales, and Pburg are all as good as Central, the best 3A team. Corbin and Murray are all equivalant to that huge pack of mediocre teams which comprise the remainder of the 3A team.

3A, this year, has a bunch of "good" teams, but none are really eye catching.
Well if you look at the east side of 3A, Prestonsburg has beaten 3 out of the 4 teams remaining in Breathitt, Sheldon Clark, and Pike Central.
OldTymer Wrote:Well if you look at the east side of 3A, Prestonsburg has beaten 3 out of the 4 teams remaining in Breathitt, Sheldon Clark, and Pike Central.

As i have said Prestonsburg is the exception. You have to consider the whole class not just the top team. The 3a teams are the only one that gave Pburg a game. They have walked through the 2a schools.
EKUAlum05 Wrote:From a 3A fan.....

NewCath, Desales, and Pburg are all as good as Central, the best 3A team. Corbin and Murray are all equivalant to that huge pack of mediocre teams which comprise the remainder of the 3A team.

:Thumbs:
As long as the KHSAA allows the 15-18 nationwide yearly transfers to Fort Campbell's football program, FC will dominate 2A and most everyone else.
Tica Wrote:As long as the KHSAA allows the 15-18 nationwide yearly transfers to Fort Campbell's football program, FC will dominate 2A and most everyone else.
They are located on a military base, of coarse there will be transfers of student athletes just as there are transfers of soldiers from base to base.
Before the question this thread poses can be answered, there needs to be a little more specificity...

- If we're talking ALL of 3A vs. ALL of 2A, 3A would have the edge. The numbers advantage is sure to come out in such a large sample.

- If we're comparing each class's "top 10" or "top 5", 2A is clearly superior.

- If we're only talking locally (region 4)...2A has P-burg, Corbin and Shelby Valley. The rest are easily inferior to 3A's cluster of Belfry, SC, PCC, Mason Co., and Russell...

If 3A Region 3 teams like Breathitt Co. and Somerset are "borrowed" in this comparison, then 2A Region 3 teams like NewCath, DeSales, Cov. Holy Cross, and CAL must be included. In THAT comparison, I take 2A by a LOT.
Tica Wrote:As long as the KHSAA allows the 15-18 nationwide yearly transfers to Fort Campbell's football program, FC will dominate 2A and most everyone else.

It -can- give them a numbers advantage. But, it just wouldn't be right to disallow their eligibility. It isn't the player's fault his family must move due to military transfer orders.

There's little doubt in my mind the army brass pay -some- attention to this stuff. It's good for soldier morale when the posts team is so good.

:igiveup:
Fort Campbell is dominant, but after that, the top 5 are equal in both classes IMO.

Amen. 3A has some "decent" teams....but certainly nobody who strikes fear into anyone. 2A...across the board...is definitely the stronger class this season.

It's really not even for debate.
Matman Wrote:As i have said Prestonsburg is the exception. You have to consider the whole class not just the top team. The 3a teams are the only one that gave Pburg a game. They have walked through the 2a schools.

When Belfry and P-burg were both in 2a....the Eastern part of the state dominated the headlines at the 2A level. However, historically 2A has been
dominated by teams from central and western part of the state. Forget about measuring P-burg against the local 2A teams they have no choice in playing. The better comparison is gauging them directly by their play against their 3A competition...in which they beat everyone they played....

At the same time....Belfry...who's obviously down this season...got beat by P-burg...who beat SC, PCC......of which Belfry still beat in the regular season. Additionally...P-burg beat Breathitt...who many had preseason #1 or #2.

P-burg beat PCC....who much too their credit went up to Mason and won on the road....against the #1 team in 3A (AP). Mason has been overrated all season.

The comparisons can go on all day.....but the fact remains...any way you slice it......it's been a very mediocre season for 3A football.....and 2A is without a doubt the stronger class of the two....

Here's hoping P-burg gets to Bowling Green and takes the crown. That school deserves it....

Good luck to whoever advances to BG out of 3A. IMO, the best of the rest are Breathitt and Sheldon Clark......
OutlawJoseyWales Wrote:When Belfry and P-burg were both in 2a....the Eastern part of the state dominated the headlines at the 2A level. However, historically 2A has been
dominated by teams from central and western part of the state. Forget about measuring P-burg against the local 2A teams they have no choice in playing. The better comparison is gauging them directly by their play against their 3A competition...in which they beat everyone they played....

At the same time....Belfry...who's obviously down this season...got beat by P-burg...who beat SC, PCC......of which Belfry still beat in the regular season. Additionally...P-burg beat Breathitt...who many had preseason #1 or #2.

P-burg beat PCC....who much too their credit went up to Mason and won on the road....against the #1 team in 3A (AP). Mason has been overrated all season.
The comparisons can go on all day.....but the fact remains...any way you slice it......it's been a very mediocre season for 3A football.....and 2A is without a doubt the stronger class of the two....

Here's hoping P-burg gets to Bowling Green and takes the crown. That school deserves it....

Good luck to whoever advances to BG out of 3A. IMO, the best of the rest are Breathitt and Sheldon Clark......

The only thing you accomplished with this post is that Breathitt, Belfry, SC, and Pburg are all around the same level. However from top to bottom 3a is stronger. However the top of 2a may be stronger this year.
Matman Wrote:As i have said Prestonsburg is the exception. You have to consider the whole class not just the top team. The 3a teams are the only one that gave Pburg a game. They have walked through the 2a schools.

See ?? You forgot about Shelby Valley. :dontthink
2A has more balance across the board than 3A.

And Ft. Campbell would win the state championship whether they were in 2A or 3A. Heck, they might even win the 4A state title too...they're that good.
Matman Wrote:The only thing you accomplished with this post is that Breathitt, Belfry, SC, and Pburg are all around the same level. However from top to bottom 3a is stronger. However the top of 2a may be stronger this year.

Honestly...you can't see the forest for the trees.....:HitWall:

Take the blinders off......

The point has been made...:yawn:
I think if you took the 10 best teams from each class and put them up against one another 2A would come out on-top, but as Joe said earlier, 3A as a whole is better.
2A is better this year.
While I've never completey bought into his rating system....I decided to take a look at Dave Cantrell's Rating the State. His point ranking system has been used and published for several years. After reviewing his current Ranking....and measuring the top 16 teams in both 2A and 3A, here are the numbers:

Total Ranking points for the 16 2A teams available: 903.50 aver per team 56.488
Total Ranking points for the 16 3A team available: 771.00 aver per team 48.20

Teams in the top 25: 2A: 1-Ft. Campbell
2A teams with Ratings in 60"s: 5 teams--Newport Cath, DeSales, Murray, P-burg, Corbin
2A teams with Ratings in 50"s: 5 teams--Green, Cov Holy Cross, Trigg, Monroe and Danville
2A teams with Ratings in 40's: 4 teams--Louisville Christian, Shelby Valley, Middlesboro, Bardstown
1 team in the 30's: Hancock co.

Teams in the top 25: 3A--0
1 team with Ratings in 70": Lousivlle Central
1 team with Ratings in 60': Belfry
6 teams with Rating in 50': Mason, Breathitt, Somerset, Sheldon Clark, Union, Western Hills
4 teams with Rating in 40's: Paducah Til, Russellville, Henry Co, Pike Co Cent
2 teams with Ratings in 30's: E-town, Butler
2 teams with ratings in 20's: Estill and Garrad

His model....while may having some overall flaws....because I think it typically undervalues mountain teams....certainly supports the idea that from top to bottom.....2A has outperformed 3A....all year.

oneijoe Wrote:It -can- give them a numbers advantage. But, it just wouldn't be right to disallow their eligibility. It isn't the player's fault his family must move due to military transfer orders.

There's little doubt in my mind the army brass pay -some- attention to this stuff. It's good for soldier morale when the posts team is so good.
:igiveup:

Ft. Knox did the same thing back in the 80's, seemed to always get soldiers transfered in that had kids that were good ball players. Would probably still do it except post has so many fewer soldiers now, there is no place to put the extras.
I would have to go with 2A this season. Prestonsburg beat Belfry and Sheldon Clark head to head. Corbin is good too, they played Clark co. to the wire. Fort Campbell is a top 5 team in all classes. You take away Highlands, St.X and Trinity, Fort Campbell could be the best team in the state.
OutlawJoseyWales Wrote:Honestly...you can't see the forest for the trees.....:HitWall:

Take the blinders off......

The point has been made...:yawn:

No the point hasn't been made. Anytime Belfry isn't top dog in their class then that class is down. This is not true. Pburg might have wins over the 3a schools but that does not make 2a stronger than 3a. From top to bottom 3a is better. What blinders are you talking about. I root for 3 teams. One in 2a, 3a, and 5a.
oneijoe Wrote:See ?? You forgot about Shelby Valley. :dontthink

I still don't think SV is a top school. They didn't beat one good team all year.
kywldcat01 Wrote:2A has more balance across the board than 3A.

And Ft. Campbell would win the state championship whether they were in 2A or 3A. Heck, they might even win the 4A state title too...they're that good.

If 2a is balanced why is the scoring been so lopside in the playoffs.
It's just my opinion but i think that 2A has been by far stronger than the mediocre 3A this year!!
Matman Wrote:I still don't think SV is a top school. They didn't beat one good team all year.

Shelby Valley dismantled Pike Central who is still alive in the 3A playoffs.
I decided to put up the top ten ranked teams from each class via maxpreps.com, i know that some are probably going to disagree with these rankings but im just using this as an example to kinda prove my point that 2A was better than 3A this year. It's got the top 10 teams from each class with their state wide ranking beside them.

Top 10 2A teams
1. Fort Campbell - 11
2. Prestonsburg - 33
3. Desales - 51
4. Murray - 54
5. Corbin - 57
6. Newport Central Catholic- 63
7. Christian Academy(Lou) - 72
8. Green Co - 73
9. Monroe Co - 74
10. Trigg Co - 83

Top 10 3A teams
1. Central(Lou) - 40
2. Belfry - 49
3. Somerset - 53
4. Mason Co - 61
5. Sheldon Clark - 62
6. Henry Co - 87
7. Breathitt Co - 90
8. Western Hills - 94
9. Paducah Tilghman - 96
10. Union Co - 98

I wouldn't call Murray or Corbin mediocre. Both are very good teams.:dontthink
Pages: 1 2