Poll: Who wins?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Russell
18.37%
Ashland
81.63%
* You voted for this item.

Thread Closed
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ashland @ Russell 9/11
BADCAT74 Wrote:Soooo, Russell? is the measuring stick? Ok, I'll just leave that one alone , see you Friday.:biggrin:

I feel an upset in the making - Ashland just aint that good bro. One great back doesn't make a great team. Go Devils. :rockon:
BADCAT74 Wrote:Soooo, Russell? is the measuring stick? Ok, I'll just leave that one alone , see you Friday.:biggrin:

Actually I think most would agree that Ashland is the measuring stick. I for one feel, and have stated it before that I would not be surprised at all if Ashland runs the table in the regular season. Russell, Belfry, Raceland Ect. are not at the caliber of a 5-A school such as Ashland. Ashland is the big dog in this area. They are expected to beat the smaller schools. So when one of the little guys beats Ashland it is an upset. Seams like we have seen a lot of upsets in the past few years.

Russell 14
Ashland 10
luvthegame Wrote:Only thing I will disagree with is upperclassmen should get the nod unless the under classmen has flat out beat out the older one with no doubts. The only other issue I would throw in would be grades. But seniors and juniors should be taken care of first over Sophs and Frosh when all things are pretty equal.

Trying to play the "grades" game between these three qb's is not going to work because all three of the men are smart, intelligent, decent young men. So that factor is thrown out. The only way to decide who should start is by looking at the stats. Stats don't lie!!!
RedDevil1981 Wrote:I feel an upset in the making - Ashland just aint that good bro. One great back doesn't make a great team. Go Devils. :rockon:

Keep on feeling BRO! If you believe Ashland is one dimensional than that reinforces my feeling BRO... you have no idea what you are talking
about!:popcorn: see ya Friday BRO! :popcorn:
4real Wrote:I agree, I am not sure why the offense has become a problem for Russell this year. Normally that is thier strongest. The question is who is Russell's first string QB? After the third game there should be no question. I like Dehoff the best.

McGlone told the broadcasters on the radio that by next Friday that they would have "one" starting qb. They wan't to just use the first couple weeks of the season to determine who they believed should be leading the devils offence. So I suppose we shall see who it will be in a few short days!

Best of luck to both teams!
luvthegame Wrote:Good question. Don't know the answer. I would like to see him running right at some people. Maybe give the Rice kid a breather every now and then. They both play on defense. Might help them both to get some breathers while on offense.

:Thumbs:
BADCAT74 Wrote:Keep on feeling BRO! If you believe Ashland is one dimensional than that reinforces my feeling BRO... you have no idea what you are talking
about!:popcorn: see ya Friday BRO! :popcorn:

I have been to an Ashland game this year and was not all that impressed with them. Could you "reinforce" me with some of your thoughts on how they are two/three/or four dimessional as you seem to believe they are...BRO!!! :popcorn:
Wildcat89 Wrote:I have been to an Ashland game this year and was not all that impressed with them. Could you "reinforce" me with some of your thoughts on how they are two/three/or four dimessional as you seem to believe they are...BRO!!! :popcorn:

You need to pay attention to the game an quit watching the cheerleaders!:biggrin:
Let's see besides Albers. 1. Demartino 2. Trey Rogers 3. Cody Withrow 4. Connor Swift 4. Sam hunter 5. Trent hardy(plays offense tackle, but is a force a d-end). Tore up you lil devils last yr as a soph! 6. I could keep going but my finger is getting tired on this iPhone!
i'll go Ashland 21 Russell 18
BADCAT74 Wrote:You need to pay attention to the game an quit watching the cheerleaders!:biggrin:
Let's see besides Albers. 1. Demartino 2. Trey Rogers 3. Cody Withrow 4. Connor Swift 4. Sam hunter 5. Trent hardy(plays offense tackle, but is a force a d-end). Tore up you lil devils last yr as a soph! 6. I could keep going but my finger is getting tired on this iPhone!

Did FBALL make you get one because he got one?????
RedDevil1981 Wrote:I feel an upset in the making - Ashland just aint that good bro. One great back doesn't make a great team. Go Devils. :rockon:

excuse me do you remember 36-10 well most of that team is back and our qb was only a freshmen last year so sorry bro but ashland is that good and did demartino play against u guys last year or was he hurt already someone please answer this question fact of the matter is ashland is the better team but the better team doesnt always win in this series look at the ashland team in 05 who lost and the russell team in 06 who lost both teams lost the game but were probably the better team
DeMartino did play against Russell last year. IMO he was the best player in that game. When Ashland needs a big play on defense he made it. It was also DeMartino that scored the last Ashland TD with a minute left in the game on an 80 plus yard run.
Midee1 Wrote:Did FBALL make you get one because he got one?????

No. He got it because we are the measuring stick.:biggrin:
FBALL Wrote:DeMartino did play against Russell last year. IMO he was the best player in that game. When Ashland needs a big play on defense he made it. It was also DeMartino that scored the last Ashland TD with a minute left in the game on an 80 plus yard run.

ty now i remember once u mentioned the td run that was his coming out game last year but it was for alot of tomcats actually springboarded our season
Ive seen both teams play and as much as I hate to say it ashland will win. dang it.
Could be closer than my prediction because they hate each other but I say 27-7
Midee1 Wrote:Did FBALL make you get one because he got one?????

Nah, he's just jonesin.
Toss out previous games and records. Its gonna be who wants it more.
luvthegame Wrote:Toss out previous games and records. Its gonna be who wants it more.

It looks to me like Russell has issues an there mind may not be on the game. Conditioning seemed to be a problem also. I would say normaly you are right but it didn't make any difference last year, an I don't see any difference in this years team.
BADCAT74 Wrote:It looks to me like Russell has issues an there mind may not be on the game. Conditioning seemed to be a problem also. I would say normaly you are right but it didn't make any difference last year, an I don't see any difference in this years team.

Russell's problem that they seem to have year in and year out is their conditioning prior to the season. I'm not sure who exactly is in charge of conditioning at Russell but there needs to be some change. When you have 3/4/5 players cramping every game your the majority of your players are not in shape.

Before the punt return in the Ironton v. Russell game, Russell was right there with the tigers. As the game progressed you could see the players for Russell while the Ironton players seemed to face no problems with conditioning. So to answer your response...yes conditioning does play a major factor in every game, no matter who you are playing.
Tomcats 30
Russell 14
pre-season conditioning does play a major roll but I'd say the most obvious problem is the depth all across the board especially on the line
There are no issues to take antbidys mind away from the game.

One loss to the best team in the area and the drama queens come out.

I think Russell's defense will cause Ashland alot of problems. The key will be if Russell can find an answer on offense. It should be a low scoring game.
FBALL Wrote:There are no issues to take antbidys mind away from the game.

One loss to the best team in the area and the drama queens come out.

I think Russell's defense will cause Ashland alot of problems. The key will be if Russell can find an answer on offense. It should be a low scoring game.

I think you're right. Not trying to be the master of the obvious, but it's going to be important for Russell to find a way to score.

Last year, it seemed as if Ashland had numerous defenders on the ball carrier as soon as he got the ball. I would imagine the same speed that Ashland brought last year is still there and probably even better.

Do you think it will help that we got experience of being swarmed on almost every play last week against Ironton? Maybe we'll know what not to do now! :biggrin: In all seriousness, though, I would imagine we'll see the old familiar plays. It will just be up to the players to execute them to perfection.

What makes you think this year's defense is going to slow down Ashland? Don't get me wrong. I really hope they do, but last year Ashland ran for 321 yards against us, scored 36 points, and that was with them fumbling the ball 6 times and turning it over 3.

I hope Russell is ready to give a maximum effort all game long on both sides of the ball Friday. It will be needed.
ryanparker Wrote:I think you're right. Not trying to be the master of the obvious, but it's going to be important for Russell to find a way to score.

Last year, it seemed as if Ashland had numerous defenders on the ball carrier as soon as he got the ball. I would imagine the same speed that Ashland brought last year is still there and probably even better.

Do you think it will help that we got experience of being swarmed on almost every play last week against Ironton? Maybe we'll know what not to do now! :biggrin: In all seriousness, though, I would imagine we'll see the old familiar plays. It will just be up to the players to execute them to perfection.

What makes you think this year's defense is going to slow down Ashland? Don't get me wrong. I really hope they do, but last year Ashland ran for 321 yards against us, scored 36 points, and that was with them fumbling the ball 6 times and turning it over 3.

I hope Russell is ready to give a maximum effort all game long on both sides of the ball Friday. It will be needed.

the ironton game will help this team if they allow it they can roll over and die or can use it as motivation to not let it happen again and play sound football its all up to the players on this team
The posts about conditioning are pretty much where I am at. Don't understand why we don't pre-season condition
to all the conditioning questions you dont want to burn these kids out on football i saw in another thread where someone said players on ther team should play football, then wrestle in the winter to improve tackling and grappling and the spring run track to improve stamina plus offseason conditioning and weights then its back to football season that is alot of time for teenagers to committ to one sport
I think Ashland is a 3 or 4 TDs better than Russell this year, but I will say I have seen much lesser talented teams on both sides of this rivalry over the last 20 years win when they had no business...i guess that's what you get with a true Rivalry game...
tomcatfan722000 Wrote:to all the conditioning questions you dont want to burn these kids out on football i saw in another thread where someone said players on ther team should play football, then wrestle in the winter to improve tackling and grappling and the spring run track to improve stamina plus offseason conditioning and weights then its back to football season that is alot of time for teenagers to committ to one sport

Lets see, football,wresling,track,sounds like 3 diffrent sports to me.
Ashland wins unless Travis Jones has another Greenup game.. Going to be the same defense as last year which obviously you can't run through..
Also I would like to add that 8 22 8 24 8 26 8 28 vice versa aren't going to work.