Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Are any Billy Gillispie defenders convinced yet?
hey im new to this site and all im gonna say is that Gillispie needs to go bc he cant win the games that needs to be won. sure hope Meeks and Patterson both return next year
Listen guys UK isnt an easy place to coach. The fans expect championships every year. Thats just the way it is fair or unfair. The fans of Duke, UNC, UCLA or any other school that has been majorly successful in B-ball like UK has been are like this as well. Ive said in another thread that the players have tuned him out, anyone can see that in the way they play, and when that happens its nearly impossible to get a team back on your side. John Clays article in the LHL on thursday hit the nail on the head when he said that the "year to year" deal that Barnhardt has with BCG has become symbolic to what the team is going through because Mitch isnt sure he wants to keep BCG and BCG isnt sure if he wants to stay. This may not be the case but thats what it looks like from the outside looking in and Im sure the team has picked up on this vibe as well.
Pat Patterson, Kevin Galloway, DeAndre Liggins, Orton, Jon Hood, Darius Miller I may be missing some but all those players by the time there ready to leave UK will be stand out players, Billy G has more talent coming in that tubby did in his last four or five years at UK. And to speak of a Kentucky player not having as much heart as Chuck Hayes is absurd, He had heart no doubt but Billy puts five guys that play with every ounce of heart they have they prove this by playing man to man defense for 40 minutes every game. It's some of the Tubs recruits that are causing the headaches this season i.e, Micheal Porter A,J Stewart. Come on guys get off the mans back. When and If he decides to stay and gets UK back to the final four or a National Championship stay on his back because he doesn't need band wagon supporters.
KoJack Wrote:Pat Patterson, Kevin Galloway, DeAndre Liggins, Orton, Jon Hood, Darius Miller I may be missing some but all those players by the time there ready to leave UK will be stand out players, Billy G has more talent coming in that tubby did in his last four or five years at UK. And to speak of a Kentucky player not having as much heart as Chuck Hayes is absurd, He had heart no doubt but Billy puts five guys that play with every ounce of heart they have they prove this by playing man to man defense for 40 minutes every game. It's some of the Tubs recruits that are causing the headaches this season i.e, Micheal Porter A,J Stewart. Come on guys get off the mans back. When and If he decides to stay and gets UK back to the final four or a National Championship stay on his back because he doesn't need band wagon supporters.

I totally agree, the amount of talent Billy G has brought to the program is immense. I'm not willing to throw away all of our talent just because our coach didn't win us a championship within two years. Our high standards are one thing but we must learn to be realistic.
Any more talk about Memphis or anything else off the topic of this thread will cause this thread to be closed immediately. Keep this on topic or you will receive and infraction as well.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Mad Dog 420 Wrote:I totally agree, the amount of talent Billy G has brought to the program is immense. I'm not willing to throw away all of our talent just because our coach didn't win us a championship within two years. Our high standards are one thing but we must learn to be realistic.

Good points. BCG did bring us more talent to this year's team, but somehow we had a slightly worse season than last. How do you explain that?

You all know my take on that.
outdoorsman43, I think you should be a little more patient. I do disagree with some of his decisions, but I think in one more year he will be all right. I sure hope I don't eat my words later on.
outdoorsman43 Wrote:Good points. BCG did bring us more talent to this year's team, but somehow we had a slightly worse season than last. How do you explain that?

I know your take on it and I respect your opinion. I'm just saying that at any other program in a rebuilding phase such as the one UK is currently going through the last thing you want to do is fire a recently hired coach. In firing him so early we will lose a lot of creditability among coaches as well as the NCAA. If we fire him the next person we ask is going to second guess coming here no matter how much we offer because we are showing that job security here isn't guaranteed for more than 2 years. Now in a year or two from now our program keeps declining under the supervision of Gillispie then I'll be all for the immediate resignation of billy but until then lets hope he can pull it through.
outdoorsman43 Wrote:Good points. BCG did bring us more talent to this year's team, but somehow we had a slightly worse season than last. How do you explain that?

I got one question for you. I know most UK fans dont think they NIT is acceptable but look at it this week its gettin Miller, Liggins, and even Patterson post season experience.I would have much rather been in the NCAA than the NIT but thats just the year we've had. I think the NIT is good for this years team to get that experience and it give us more game or games to watch the Cats. Now for the question if UK wins 2 or 3 games in the NIT or maybe even wins the whole thing would you still say this season was worse than last season? If we won would have over 25 wins and an NIT championship or last years 1st round exit of the NCAA?

I would say that the talent that came in was very good, but every newcomer came in the "significant upside" attached to their label. Blue Chippers we did not have. Liggins came in with the kind of potential that was considered "NBA Can't Miss". We all saw that he is far from being NBA ready. It would be so easy to blame the lack of development on the coach. When is it the players responsibility to get better. Looks to me that BCG did make adjustments. When players played poorly, he sat them. If we were winning, people would be applauding him for sitting guys who played poorly. Yet, when guys perform poorly, they sit, then we question why they don't play anymore. Too easy to throw the coaching staff under the bus, when you have never coached the game, not understand the balance between player and coach. Like I have resolved myself to. Let BCG go, get rid of him, fire him, whatever it is that everyone wants. Then let's sit back and go through someone elses 2-3 year rebuilding program.
MVP2 Wrote:I got one question for you. I know most UK fans dont think they NIT is acceptable but look at it this week its gettin Miller, Liggins, and even Patterson post season experience.I would have much rather been in the NCAA than the NIT but thats just the year we've had. I think the NIT is good for this years team to get that experience and it give us more game or games to watch the Cats. Now for the question if UK wins 2 or 3 games in the NIT or maybe even wins the whole thing would you still say this season was worse than last season? If we won would have over 25 wins and an NIT championship or last years 1st round exit of the NCAA?

No, the NIT is not acceptable this season IMO. Why you ask?

Kentucky made the NCAA Tournament last season and finished the season with a 12-4 regular season conference record. This season, with more talent and an improved Patrick Patterson, the Wildcats finish the season with an NIT appearance and an 8-8 regular season record in conference play. Would you argue that Kentucky had more talent this season or last season?

IMO, this season should have been another stepping stone from last season. Last season, Gillispie done a pretty swell job I thought. This season, not so much. I would rather have a first-round loss in the "Big Dance" than winning the NIT championship.

I agree with you that it will get the players some post season experience, that is very much needed. But, that is not the point. The point is that Kentucky did not improve from last season even when they had more talent. I think the blame here goes to the coach.
Not arguing, but because I don't know - what were the rosters of the two teams from this year and last year. We are loaded with unproven Freshman this year. Unproven being the key.
Stardust Wrote:I would say that the talent that came in was very good, but every newcomer came in the "significant upside" attached to their label. Blue Chippers we did not have. Liggins came in with the kind of potential that was considered "NBA Can't Miss". We all saw that he is far from being NBA ready. It would be so easy to blame the lack of development on the coach. When is it the players responsibility to get better. Looks to me that BCG did make adjustments. When players played poorly, he sat them. If we were winning, people would be applauding him for sitting guys who played poorly. Yet, when guys perform poorly, they sit, then we question why they don't play anymore. Too easy to throw the coaching staff under the bus, when you have never coached the game, not understand the balance between player and coach. Like I have resolved myself to. Let BCG go, get rid of him, fire him, whatever it is that everyone wants. Then let's sit back and go through someone elses 2-3 year rebuilding program.

These are very good points. I can see both sides of the argument and I respect everyone's opinions. I just don't understand the off-court events and most of things Gillispie does. I just don't think he is the man for the job and will continue to think that way.

I think it will be proven next season, because I doubt he is going anywhere.
ODM43 - I want to to seriously look at last years roster, and tell me that this year is more talented:

Legion, Alex
6-4/199
FR/HS
Detroit, Mich./Oak Hill Academy

Bradley, Ramel
6-2/199
SR/3L
New York, N.Y./IMG Academy, Fla.

Jasper, Derrick
6-6/213
SO/1L
Paso Robles, Calif./Paso Robles

Porter, Michael
6-2/191
SO/1L
Modesto, Calif./Modesto Christian

Stewart, A.J.
6-8/207
FR/HS
Jacksonville, Fla./Arlington Country Day

Stevenson, Perry
6-9/192
SO/1L
Lafayette, La./Northside

Meeks, Jodie
6-4/212
SO/1L
Norcross, Ga./Norcross

Williams, Morakinyo
6-11/270
FR/HS
Solihull, England/Bishop Ireton

Crawford, Joe
6-5/221
SR/3L
Detroit, Mich./Renaissance

Harris, Ramon
6-7/216
SO/1L
Anchorage, Alaska/West Anchorage

Coury, Mark
6-8/230
SO/1L
Detroit, Mich./Detroit Day

Carter, Jared
7-2/250
JR/1L
Georgetown, Ky./Scott County

Patterson, Patrick
6-9/219
FR/HS
Huntington, W.Va./Huntington
If you added the experience to Bradley and Crawford to this year's team, then yes. But can you honestly say that we have two players on this years squad that can even come close to those two???? We already had Meeks and PP last year, so you can't count them. So, it comes down to Crawford and Bradley, WHO on this team is even close to them.
Stardust Wrote:Not arguing, but because I don't know - what were the rosters of the two teams from this year and last year. We are loaded with unproven Freshman this year. Unproven being the key.

The only players lost from last season were Joe Crawford and Ramel Bradley. Those were the two senior leaders and the heart and soul of the team in 2007-2008. Maybe we did need a senior leader this year?

This season Kentucky returned an improved Patrick Patterson. They got back Perry Stevenson, Michael Porter, and Ramon Harris. The most significant of all was an injury-free Jodie Meeks who shattered records this season for the Wildcats. Kentucky got freshman Darius Miller and JUCO guard Kevin Galloway and center Josh Harrellson. I agree that Liggins wasn't even close to what he was cracked up to be but I still believe this season's team was more talented than last seasons team.

The point is Kentucky didn't have any senior players with any kind of experience and the coach (Billy Gillispie) has to win with what he has, which was a slightly better team IMO.
We lost the nucleus of last years team, and replaced them with frosh with "potential" not blue chippers who could immediately replace Crawford and more importantly a POINT GUARD in Bradley. Heck, we would be lucky to go .500 in the SEC and only win 20 games without those two (oh, I guess that's what we did):biggrin:
Stardust Wrote:If you added the experience to Bradley and Crawford to this year's team, then yes. But can you honestly say that we have two players on this years squad that can even come close to those two???? We already had Meeks and PP last year, so you can't count them. So, it comes down to Crawford and Bradley, WHO on this team is even close to them.

Legion did not play but maybe 3 or 4 games last season. Meeks played in 8 or 10 games last season.

Patterson was improved this season and an injury free Meeks showed the nation what he could do. The senior leadership is the only thing this team lacked, but Billy G has to win with what he has, like I said, which was a slightly more talented team this season.
KoJack Wrote:Pat Patterson, Kevin Galloway, DeAndre Liggins, Orton, Jon Hood, Darius Miller I may be missing some but all those players by the time there ready to leave UK will be stand out players, Billy G has more talent coming in that tubby did in his last four or five years at UK. And to speak of a Kentucky player not having as much heart as Chuck Hayes is absurd, He had heart no doubt but Billy puts five guys that play with every ounce of heart they have they prove this by playing man to man defense for 40 minutes every game. It's some of the Tubs recruits that are causing the headaches this season i.e, Micheal Porter A,J Stewart. Come on guys get off the mans back. When and If he decides to stay and gets UK back to the final four or a National Championship stay on his back because he doesn't need band wagon supporters.
thank you i have argueed this to death BCG plays what HE has Porter and Harris have no right to wear a UK jersey,iam right there with you when not if BCG gets UK #8 in the rafters don't jump back on the wagon and i will take the NIT CHAMPIONSHIP AND BE HAPPY.
outdoorsman43 Wrote:The only players lost from last season were Joe Crawford and Ramel Bradley. Those were the two senior leaders and the heart and soul of the team in 2007-2008. Maybe we did need a senior leader this year?

This season Kentucky returned an improved Patrick Patterson. They got back Perry Stevenson, Michael Porter, and Ramon Harris. The most significant of all was an injury-free Jodie Meeks who shattered records this season for the Wildcats. Kentucky got freshman Darius Miller and JUCO guard Kevin Galloway and center Josh Harrellson. I agree that Liggins wasn't even close to what he was cracked up to be but I still believe this season's team was more talented than last seasons team.

The point is Kentucky didn't have any senior players with any kind of experience and the coach (Billy Gillispie) has to win with what he has, which was a slightly better team IMO.

:Thumbs: I will just agree to disagree. IMO, this team was far less talented than last year. Even Jodie Meeks could not create his own shot the way Crawford could. We have burned BGR up all year long with our disgust of not having a Point Guard, which we had a Very good one last year. PP is more imporved, and he played it. We also had Stevenson, Harris and Porter, who most on here have argued should have never ever been on a UK roster in the first place. So you can spray cologne on doo-doo, but it's still doo-doo. It's not going to get any better with time....
rallo316 Wrote:thank you i have argueed this to death BCG plays what has Porter and Harris have no right to wear a UK jersey,iam right there with you when not if BCG gets UK #8 in the rafters don't jump back on the wagon and i will take the NIT CHAMPIONSHIP AND BE HAPPY.

:Thumbs:
well we actually had a PG last year and i believe we had a better overall team. we had people who could feed the post. the biggest difference IMO is stevenso's play it has not been what it should've been this year. plus like i said in another thread he did not play smart basketball just like the rest of the team. i just hope next year we have players who are not scared to play and do what they shouold do like drive to the hoop. darius started very slow but you can now see his upside and i see him being a very solid player nest with probably 13 PPG or around that area. i believe our starting five will be very dominant or at least they should be.
beasy_bo Wrote:well we actually had a PG last year and i believe we had a better overall team. we had people who could feed the post. the biggest difference IMO is stevenso's play it has not been what it should've been this year. plus like i said in another thread he did not play smart basketball just like the rest of the team. i just hope next year we have players who are not scared to play and do what they shouold do like drive to the hoop. darius started very slow but you can now see his upside and i see him being a very solid player nest with probably 13 PPG or around that area. i believe our starting five will be very dominant or at least they should be.

I totally agree, we should be good next year and I believe that the next year will be the year of final judgment for billy g. I look forward to the upcoming year and what it holds for my cats.
UK would have had 2 of last years players if bcg hadnt run them off. Legion could have possibly been the third scorer they so desperately needed and Jasper would have, but who knows with this idiot, the starting point guard. With those 2 UK would have been way better. So yeah I admit that if UK would have had those players they would have had more talent, but since he ran them off, you cant say that, and again it comes back to being his fault that this team cant play basketball let alone with themselves. In the end it all lies on the coach, running off good players that could have contributed, not being willing to change the defense and offense when needed, and just flat out being too proud to do the right thing for UK. Right now the right thing would be for him and all his supporters to get the **** out kentucky and never come back.
Sports_Fan28 Wrote:UK would have had 2 of last years players if bcg hadnt run them off. Legion could have possibly been the third scorer they so desperately needed and Jasper would have, but who knows with this idiot, the starting point guard. With those 2 UK would have been way better. So yeah I admit that if UK would have had those players they would have had more talent, but since he ran them off, you cant say that, and again it comes back to being his fault that this team cant play basketball let alone with themselves. In the end it all lies on the coach, running off good players that could have contributed, not being willing to change the defense and offense when needed, and just flat out being too proud to do the right thing for UK. Right now the right thing would be for him and all his supporters to get the **** out kentucky and never come back.
:lmao: he averages 3.7 points a game don't really see him being the difference maker.:Thumbs: although jasper would have helped alot but he isn't an offensive producing PG either. UK needs someone who can take over from that spot.
Overrated Wrote:Maybe you should apply then.

I just might ............ lol
outdoorsman43 Wrote:The only players lost from last season were Joe Crawford and Ramel Bradley. Those were the two senior leaders and the heart and soul of the team in 2007-2008. Maybe we did need a senior leader this year?

This team has more talent it just hasnt developed like it should have. Last season Stevenson and Harris did not have to shine for Kentucky to be succesful. They had Bradley and Crawford who could put points on the board. You had Meeks who could score and Patterson untill the injury. Problem with this years team as follow.

1. Stevenson/Harris- Before the season every one thought these to would have a WIDE range of success. Problems, both were very inconsistent the entire season. Neither one developed into a premier scorer which Kentucky needed with a inexperienced team. Sure both played alright D but Kentucky needed them to develope into scorers. They were the ones with experience and Kentucky needed these two to get off to a hot start which did not happen and it simply did not get any better.

2. Harrelson/Galloway- These two were saught after to have great seasons towards the end. These two really did not begin to develope untill the SEC tournament, Galloway still has alot of growing up to do, Harrelson should have been used more and I see him next season to have a great season.

3. Miller- Was another one saught after to have a big season even for being a freshman. He showed glimmer through the SEC tournament, IMO if he does not pick up 3 early fouls in the LSU game the outcome is much much diffrent. He will be in the starting lineup next season which will help Kentucky tremendously.

Kentucky just needs to help the following and their incoming freshman have break out years next season which I invision happening. The following were key players that did not live up to what they were brought into do. Which turned out to be a bad season, as ive stated before its not all Gillespes fault. The team just did not develope the way all you fans invisioned nor did BCG. It happens they have learned from this season and will be more experienced. The same thing that happened with last years and this years LSU ball club.
beasy_bo Wrote::lmao: he averages 3.7 points a game don't really see him being the difference maker.:Thumbs: although jasper would have helped alot but he isn't an offensive producing PG either. UK needs someone who can take over from that spot.

Legion could have developed into an All-SEC player, he has twice the talent of any Freshmen we have right now.
i think its time for a new coach