Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Best high school football coach in eastern KY
Phillip Haywood, Hillard Howard, Jack Hall, Walter Brugh, Mike Holcomb...
They don't call Log Mountain "the Bobcat Hilton" for nothing! Two state championships at two different mountain public schools. Over 300 wins! Gets the most out of his players of any coach I have ever seen. Great motivator of young men! Dudley Hilton.
well personaly i think that coach kevin saunders of the shelby valley wildcats is an outstanding coach...he might be a butt to the players but he knows the game
Haywood easy pick JMOTongueirateSho
1.the Late D.chandler (whs)
FBALL Wrote:Haywood, Hilton, Holcomb, Howard and McGlone.

Very good list.
Ring'Em Up Wrote:This is a little "out-there", cause I know he can't be mentioned with the "All-time", but as for teaching the game, besides the obvious that have been mentioned already, such as Hilton, Howard, Brugh, etc, my choice is The Chukester, if people woulda stayed off his back and let him do his thing. :dontthink
I am ready, start the assault on me. Big Grin

Is that why you favor the shorts and flip flops in March. Could not resist.

Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin
Russell's Ivan Mcglone,He has 2 state titles and Always has competetive teams.
kybaseball Wrote:Russell's Ivan Mcglone,He has 2 state titles and Always has competetive teams.
Not to mention he had 27 years between titles. The old Ivan is just as sharp as the young Ivan was.
DevilsWin Wrote:Not to mention he had 27 years between titles. The old Ivan is just as sharp as the young Ivan was.

I agree !!!!!!!!
Gotta go with Haywood.
The Installer Wrote:Phillip Haywood

Agreed
I will have to say Matney at JC. He completely turned the JCHS program around and made them state contenders almost immediately. IMO Chuke Willams at LCHS did a great job while he was there, if the parents would stay off his back, he could have still been here winning games. But right now, I think it's Matney or Haywood.
UofL Fan Wrote:Bill Letton...coach of Lexington Catholic, but former coach of Prestonsburg. took them to state in 93

You've got to be kidding! What about his time at Montgomery County?
Mike Whitaker is pretty good.
warmachine Wrote:Bert Browne is the most knowledgeable football coach out of them all. You give him a few good players and he wins easily.

Sledgehammer Wrote:How can anyone pass up Donnie Daniels at South Floyd. He coached Wheelwrigt High School. Then when the consiladation came the other high school had never had a football team, ever, he brought 2 small schools together, made "1". He has introduced kids to the game of football. Take some 300 kids, get 20+ interested in football, and make a few playoffs! Great coaching, great interest in the kids. Great Coach. Thanks Coach Daniels.

mic_man Wrote:well personaly i think that coach kevin saunders of the shelby valley wildcats is an outstanding coach...he might be a butt to the players but he knows the game

One of the best coaches in the history of eastern Kentucky high school football??? :confused:
UofL Fan Wrote:Bill Letton...coach of Lexington Catholic, but former coach of Prestonsburg. took them to state in 93

You've got to be kidding me????? That guy completely cheated to win against Russell @pburg in 1992 I think it was.
My family was directly involved in a call that didn't get called because it didn't happen until Letton threw a big fit and the Pansy referee made the call to give P-burg back the ball after they punted and recovered the punt.

Russell didn't touch the punt!

Funny thing about it is a friend of mine ran into Coach Letton 6 years later in a Wendy's Men's room while taking a whiz next to him. LOL Reminded him of the situation 6 years earlier, Letton agreed it happened.

Then was straight out called a Chicken****!

They both finished, washed their hands and walked out. LOL
You cant leave out Chuke Williams from Lawrence County in the 90's the dawgs dominated.
mjballer23 Wrote:You cant leave out Chuke Williams from Lawrence County in the 90's the dawgs dominated.

Dominated with 0 state cahmpionships. I would have to say that Breathitt was more dominate in the 90's. They have 2 rings while Lawrence fans have wins.
Super-Card Wrote:Dominated with 0 state cahmpionships. I would have to say that Breathitt was more dominate in the 90's. They have 2 rings while Lawrence fans have wins.

What class did Breathit County play in the 90's? just curious
Hoover Niece of Estill had a solid career. Great defensive mind!
mjballer23 Wrote:What class did Breathit County play in the 90's? just curious

3A in the early 90's, 2A when they won their state titles. They were in a 3A district with Belfry and Leslie County, and opposite a district with Bell County during Bell's dominant years.

In 2A, that run Breathitt had where they won their state titles was no fluke. They took on and destroyed all comers in the mountains and across the state. Waylon Chapman and Kyle Moore were the QB's, they had John Rader on Defense, and Jonathan Chapman at RB prior to his knee injury. I believe it was 1997, Belfry travelled to Breathitt and it was 31 and #2 in the Mountain Top 5, belfry had just lost 7-0 to Louisville Male in the PIke County Bowl, Breathitt DESTROYED Belfry.
srixon2 Wrote:Hoover Niece of Estill had a solid career. Great defensive mind!

My list (taking into account the Ashland area as part of EKY):
ACTIVE COACHES ONLY

1. Phillip Haywood-Belfry, Second all-time in wins in the state of KY, 2 State Titles, 2 State Runner Ups.

2. Dudley Hilton- Bell County, Third all-time in wins in the state of KY, 1 State Title

3. Ivan McGlone-Russell, 10th all-time i wins in the state of KY, if you include his victories as a coach in WV he would be 4th behind Hilton in all-time wins, 2 State Titles.

4. Mike Holcomb- Breathitt County, 3 State Championships. Built Breathitt from nothing to a powerhouse.

5. Hilliard Howard- Pikeville/Letcher Central, 3 State Championships, 20th on win list.

6. Tom Larkey- Rockcastle/Harlan County, 2 State Runner-Ups, 16th on the win list.

7. John Derrossett- Pburg, 2 State-Runner-ups

8. Kenny Roark- Middlesboro, State Championship

9. Jim Matney- Sheldon Clark/Johnson Central, Built SC from the ground up, took 0-10 Johnson central and led tem to state semi-finals in a couple of years.

10.David Mitchell- Lynn Camp, Done alot with very little.
EKUAlum05 Wrote:My list (taking into account the Ashland area as part of EKY):
ACTIVE COACHES ONLY

1. Phillip Haywood-Belfry, Second all-time in wins in the state of KY, 2 State Titles, 2 State Runner Ups.

2. Dudley Hilton- Bell County, Third all-time in wins in the state of KY, 1 State Title

3. Ivan McGlone-Russell, 10th all-time i wins in the state of KY, if you include his victories as a coach in WV he would be 4th behind Hilton in all-time wins, 2 State Titles.

4. Mike Holcomb- Breathitt County, 3 State Championships. Built Breathitt from nothing to a powerhouse.

5. Hilliard Howard- Pikeville/Letcher Central, 3 State Championships, 20th on win list.

6. Tom Larkey- Rockcastle/Harlan County, 2 State Runner-Ups, 16th on the win list.

9. Jim Matney- Sheldon Clark/Johnson Central, Built SC from the ground up, took 0-10 Johnson central and led tem to state semi-finals in a couple of years.

i believe Coach Hilton has 2 state championships, 1 at Bell and 1 at Bourbon Co.
rudedogky Wrote:i believe Coach Hilton has 2 state championships, 1 at Bell and 1 at Bourbon Co.

You are most definately correct...completely forgot about his title at Bell... he remains in the same spot but definately worth noting
ACTIVE COACHES ONLY

Very good list. Did DeRossett take Pburg to 2 state runner-ups? I am pretty sure Letton did when he was there also.
Haywood by far! No one can compete with him and if any of you all know football than you would agree. A close second would be Hillard Howard though
crazyfan4 Wrote:Haywood by far! No one can compete with him and if any of you all know football than you would agree. A close second would be Hillard Howard though
yeah he is a good one
ACTIVE COACHES ONLY

Coach Haywood has 3 State Runner Ups ('85/'86/'07).
Haywood will always be a good coach. He does a good job with Belfry.