Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Best high school football coach in eastern KY
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Who do you all think has been the best high school football coach in eastern kentucky of all time?
Hillard Howard Pikeville, LCC
Philip Haywood Belfry
Mike Holcomb Breathitt Co.
Dudley Hilton Bell
Kenny Roark Middlesboro
Jim Matney JC
Tom Larkey Rock

I would say that this is the list in no particular order that most fans would agree. These guys are the elite in east ky.
OK2NV Wrote:Hillard Howard Pikeville, LCC
Philip Haywood Belfry
Mike Holcomb Breathitt Co.
Dudley Hilton Bell
Kenny Roark Middlesboro
Jim Matney JC
Tom Larkey Rock

I would say that this is the list in no particular order that most fans would agree. These guys are the elite in east ky.

Not a bad list at all. If you start to include the northeast you can also make arguments for Vic Marsh and Ivan McGlone. Also, it's not KY but it's only about 20 seconds across the river, Bob Lutz of Ironton, OH.
I don't see how in the world you could leave Walter Brugh off of the list.
bulldog42 Wrote:I don't see how in the world you could leave Walter Brugh off of the list.

I think they were asking about active coaches. If it were all time, he would definately be on the list.

Looks like a good list!
Haywood.
Keepnitreal Wrote:I think they were asking about active coaches. If it were all time, he would definately be on the list.

Looks like a good list!

In the first post they asked for all-time. I'm too young to really remember anyone older than the last decade or so. Any of you old timers out there know the historic East Ky coaches?
Tomcat68 Wrote:In the first post they asked for all-time. I'm too young to really remember anyone older than the last decade or so. Any of you old timers out there know the historic East Ky coaches?
Until the last 20-35 years in the mountains of eastern Kentucky there were no high school football programs except in the city independent school sysytems. That kind of limits the options if you want to go back very many years.
I don't recall it saying active or not... Walter J. Brugh, Haywood, Howard, Holcomb..... we have cetainly been "blessed" with fine football minds to guide our young people. I know I have missed several, but everyone will have their favs! I look forward to seeing all the names mentioned!
jack hall: fleming neon, elkhorn city, betsy layne
well lets see its between Phillip Haywood of Belfry and Hillard Howard of Letcher Central but I will taje Phillip Haywood hands downTongueirateSho
good lists but on the top of my list would definately have to be Walter Brugh. He did a lot for football in eastern KY and especially Paintsville.
Phillip Haywood
Keepnitreal Wrote:I think they were asking about active coaches. If it were all time, he would definately be on the list.

Looks like a good list!
It says all time on the first question.
I'd say:
Brugh
Hilton
Haywood
Holcomb
McGlone
Howard
in no specific order.
John Derrossett Best coach everRolleyes Rolleyes Smile
Haywood and Howard are the first two that come to my mind when I read this question!
Bert Browne is the most knowledgeable football coach out of them all. You give him a few good players and he wins easily.
Haywoods staff makes him. I'll take Holcomb at Breathitt.
warmachine Wrote:Bert Browne is the most knowledgeable football coach out of them all. You give him a few good players and he wins easily.

Who is Bert Browne? Where does he coach.
I gotta go with the 4 "H"s
Howard
Holcomb
Haywood
Hilton.
Kindve hard to go against this group with 9 state titles between them.
This is a little "out-there", cause I know he can't be mentioned with the "All-time", but as for teaching the game, besides the obvious that have been mentioned already, such as Hilton, Howard, Brugh, etc, my choice is The Chukester, if people woulda stayed off his back and let him do his thing. :dontthink
I am ready, start the assault on me. Big Grin
Haywood, Hilton, Holcomb, Howard and McGlone.
Hilton and Jay Cobb he does more with less talent.
Ring'Em Up Wrote:This is a little "out-there", cause I know he can't be mentioned with the "All-time", but as for teaching the game, besides the obvious that have been mentioned already, such as Hilton, Howard, Brugh, etc, my choice is The Chukester, if people woulda stayed off his back and let him do his thing. :dontthink
I am ready, start the assault on me. Big Grin

Good choice. He's as good a belly coach as there is out there.
Bill Letton...coach of Lexington Catholic, but former coach of Prestonsburg. took them to state in 93
PHS95 Wrote:Haywood and Howard are the first two that come to my mind when I read this question!

MINE TOO
I Rule The World Wrote:Haywoods staff makes him. I'll take Holcomb at Breathitt.

Hard to beat Coach Haywood!
BTW-Except for Coach Mickey and Coach Rowe (hope I didn't forget anyone!), the rest of his staff are former players, so in my opinion, his staff doesn't "make" him, they all just compliment each other!
IMO I would have to day Hilton at Bell County or Haywood at Belfry
RedSeal Wrote:IMO I would have to day Hilton at Bell County or Haywood at Belfry

I have to agree. The consistency of the program at Bell County is amazing, same thing at Belfry.
How can anyone pass up Donnie Daniels at South Floyd. He coached Wheelwrigt High School. Then when the consiladation came the other high school had never had a football team, ever, he brought 2 small schools together, made "1". He has introduced kids to the game of football. Take some 300 kids, get 20+ interested in football, and make a few playoffs! Great coaching, great interest in the kids. Great Coach. Thanks Coach Daniels.
Pages: 1 2 3