Thread Closed
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Next Coach at Pikeville High School
State Champs Wrote:Wymtv just reported the job had been offered to Hensley.

Will absolutely be the biggest mistake ever made by P.H.S. I see alot of transfering taking place.
I do believe Copley knew he was not in the running for the job when the administation opened the job up for interviews. I think he will stay on board if Hensley wants him. Who knows Hensley may not take the job.
Legally they must post this job. We heard that this announcement made by WYMT was a mistake and the decision has yet to be made by committee.
Phoenix Panther Wrote:Legally they must post this job. We heard that this announcement made by WYMT was a mistake and the decision has yet to be made by committee.

I have heard the same....I sure hope our sources were right!
Dazed&Confused Wrote:I have heard the same....I sure hope our sources were right!

Just heard it was a rumor, straight from the lady who's been running the school for the last 20 years,I think you know who I'm talking about Panther fans.
Phoenix Panther Wrote:Legally they must post this job. We heard that this announcement made by WYMT was a mistake and the decision has yet to be made by committee.

IM SURE THEY HAVE POSTED IT, THATS WHY THEY ARE DOING INTERVIEWS AND THATS WHY OTHER PEOPLE OUTSIDE THE COUNTY APPLIED FOR IT, BECAUSE IT WAS POSTED...IT ONLY HAS TO STAY POSTED FOR 30 DAYS AND THEN THEY ARE FREE TO NOT TAKE ANYMORE APPLICATIONS AFTER THAT....BUT LEGALLY THEY CAN'T MAKE A DECISION TIL AFTER THE 30 DAY PERIOD...I TAKE THAT BACK THEY CANT ANNOUNCE A DECISION TIL THAT TIME..
State Champs Wrote:Wymtv just reported the job had been offered to Hensley.
This is false. According to the Principal and the AD this is a false report and WYMT is being called about it as we speak.
I just spoke with a member of the committee that is selecting the head coach and he informed me that WYMT's information is false, and that they have not made a hire yet. Sounds like WYMT needs to get more credible sources seeing that they announced a hire not even made as well as announcing that Daniel Harmon transferred to LCC during the Mountain Classic.
Yeah, Coach Copley and Hensley both have interviews next week.

*Edited for grammar.
What a mess.
They need to hire someone and move on.... this is ridiculous (IMO)!
It sounds to me like a committee member let the cat out of the bag before they were supposed to. It would be illegal to make this publicly known before they run it through site-base first.
I don't think WYMT would have run this story unless there was some substance there. I can't think of any stories they have ran that were not credible. On the 11:00 news they said it wasn't true. This sounds like someone on the committee that actually knows the legallities involved with this process, is doing some damage control.
One things for sure, if Hensley gets the job then we will all know whether it was true or not.
[SIZE=2]Again, rumors just don't end up on the 6:00 news. [/SIZE]
There's not a shot that Copley would stay on as an asst. if he don't get the Head Coach's job, it would be a slap in his face as well as the other asst. coaches. I don't think any of the current staff would stay involved in the program in any capacity. But, I guess this is what the 2 or 3 that controls everything in the system wants.
Elwayfan Wrote:There's not a shot that Copley would stay on as an asst. if he don't get the Head Coach's job, it would be a slap in his face as well as the other asst. coaches. I don't think any of the current staff would stay involved in the program in any capacity. But, I guess this is what the 2 or 3 that controls everything in the system wants.

Well if that is the case then good riddins to the assistant coaches. If the assistant coaches are loyal to the players and school then stay.
stripminer Wrote:Will absolutely be the biggest mistake ever made by P.H.S. I see alot of transfering taking place.

The players are loyal to Pikeville. They will play for any coach.
Elwayfan Wrote:But, I guess this is what the 2 or 3 that controls everything in the system wants.
I believe there are 8 on the committee not 2 or 3.
I think any hire other than Copley, would set this program back. Copley is starting to break through to the younger players.
Chuck Taylor Wrote:The players are loyal to Pikeville. They will play for any coach.

Chuck:

IMO Players will not play for any coach. They might be on the team, but only certain coaches can get their players to perform at their highest potential.

Certain Coaches such as Copley!!
But you don't know how these kids would react to another coach.... I know this has turned into a love of Copley thread, but lets be realistic.... just because they would love him doesn't mean that they would not love or play for someone else just as passionately!
FOX SPORTS Wrote:I believe there are 6 on the committee not 2 or 3.

I do not if you were counting Royce or not - counting him there are seven.
Chuck Taylor Wrote:Well if that is the case then good riddins to the assistant coaches. If the assistant coaches are loyal to the players and school then stay.

Loyalty starts with the administration - If you are an assistant coach, and want to be a head coach at the program where you are and the administration (steps over you) will not hire you because you do not have any head coaching experience then you have no choice but to move on to either find another Head Coaching job or an assistant's job where they will hire assistant's with no head coaching experience.
PHS95 Wrote:But you don't know how these kids would react to another coach.... I know this has turned into a love of Copley thread, but lets be realistic.... just because they would love him doesn't mean that they would not love or play for someone else just as passionately!

You are correct to some extent, the 14 or so players that I have heard will not play for another coach most likely would, but a handful (the best) will be playing - for someone else and not Pikeville!

The Spring Football Practice clock (most likely PHS girls do not make it to state) will start ticking next Monday March 10. Hire a coach and then we will know who will attempt to be playing with spring pratice.
In the past, they have had assistants with MANY years of experience and went out of system.... why would NOW be different?
vgaacalj Wrote:You are correct to some extent, the 14 or so players that I have heard will not play for another coach most likely would, but a handful (the best) will be playing - for someone else and not Pikeville!

The Spring Football Practice clock (most likely PHS girls do not make it to state) will start ticking next Monday March 10. Hire a coach and then we will know who will attempt to be playing with spring pratice.

What I am saying is, you NEVER know until someone comes in how the kids will respond! Many of you are assuming that a lot of these kids will not work as hard for another coach or even play at all! No one can say that for sure. At the ages that these kids are, they will often act petulant and say things like, "I won't play if this doesn't happen," but when it doesn't happen, those players are right there with the others.... you have to give anyone who takes over a chance before you say that this program is going down the tubes without _____ (insert name here) as coach! Whoever it may or may not be, everyone needs to give him a chance and not act like a child who takes his ball and goes home when he doesn't get what he wants!
Chuck Taylor Wrote:The players are loyal to Pikeville. They will play for any coach.
Ya think! How well do you know all these loyal players. They have already sent a letter, signed by the players to the principal about how much they want Copley to be here. The player that wrote it was all-state last year. The starting QB was in the office yesterday talking about how much he wanted Copley to get the HC job. They want to play for Copley. If Copley doesn't get the job, some will probably transfer.
Being a head coach starts with player loyalty, but it is hardly the only nuance to the job.... I think it is great that these kids want to play for this man, but if they TRULY WANT TO PLAY, they will play regardless instead of reacting poorly!
FOX SPORTS Wrote:I believe there are 6 on the committee not 2 or 3.
Yes! I know how many is on the committee, I believe it's 7 not 6. Come on, you know what I am saying.
PHS95 Wrote:In the past, they have had assistants with MANY years of experience and went out of system.... why would NOW be different?

I am not sure what you mean by "went out of the system" - going back to Coach Howard up to the time John Chapman (1998) came an PHS assistant was hired as Head Coach and we went outside again in 2004 when they hired Mike Jackson. Yes PHS has had Assistant Coaches with many years of experience, a few did not want to wait for the opprotunity for the Head Coaching job to open, but most retired.
In 04, I know of at least 2 that had been with the program for several years that would have been more than thrilled with the job and applied. Both were more than qualified and would have made great coaches.... yet, they went out of system.... that is what I am referring to!
Elwayfan Wrote:Yes! I know how many is on the committee, I believe it's 7 not 6. Come on, you know what I am saying.

We also know it does not matter how many or who is on the committee - it is Royce's decision no matter what:Thumbs: