Thread Closed
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Landon Slone gaining interest from UK
I wish everyone would quit saying hes is going to go D-1! he will end up at a D-3 or NAIA school! and if he does go D-1 I will be happy for him! but come on guys seriously UK? he is not good enough to put on a CATS jersey! I do agree he is a very great talent around in Eastern Kentucky but more than likely he will end up at a small school where he can get alot of PT by his Sophmore or Junior Season
RedSeal Wrote:I wish everyone would quit saying hes is going to go D-1! he will end up at a D-3 or NAIA school! and if he does go D-1 I will be happy for him! but come on guys seriously UK? he is not good enough to put on a CATS jersey! I do agree he is a very great talent around in Eastern Kentucky but more than likely he will end up at a small school where he can get alot of PT by his Sophmore or Junior Season

you know you may be right, but its very satisfying for a young man like landon who grew up watching UK, and then his senior year get a call from them because their interested in his basketball skills...can you imagine how far up on cloud nine he is right now...and he is a really good kid, and if going to uk and maybe not playing would satisfy him then i hope he does it, but it really kills me to see people get on here and take away everything this kid has worked for by posting negative comments about a kid, for the most part, they know nothing about....you know a lot of people said that about todd tackett his senior year...said he would never make uk's team...but he did and he competed...and if landon does go there he will too...wherever he ends up he will compete...
RedSeal Wrote:I wish everyone would quit saying hes is going to go D-1! he will end up at a D-3 or NAIA school! and if he does go D-1 I will be happy for him! but come on guys seriously UK? he is not good enough to put on a CATS jersey! I do agree he is a very great talent around in Eastern Kentucky but more than likely he will end up at a small school where he can get alot of PT by his Sophmore or Junior Season

Not saying Landon is the best player in the nation, the best player that UK could get, or even the best guard in KY, but if you don't think he could come off the bench and compete and get better with each season then you are mistaken. Besides, what does UK have right now that is so great? They can't even beat Gardner-Webb or Vandy. My gosh, they can't even score 20 points in a half after having all season to get used to Billy G. Is Vandy's D that good??
I wonder if UK is still interested after seeing his performance against JCHS?
Who knows? I wouldn't think they would judge a player by one game. Besides he didn't do to bad in that game considering he didn't get to play as much as usual. UK better be more concerned about their own players performances. lol I think that Paintsville or SV could have scored at least 11 points against Vandy.
22lb Bass Wrote:I wonder if UK is still interested after seeing his performance against JCHS?

i thought in the stats i seen he had 25 points? thats a pretty good night by anybody's standards i think...
he must be into mountain players he also spoke with big al holland about sophmore guard josh whitaker
EKY Sportster Wrote:Not saying Landon is the best player in the nation, the best player that UK could get, or even the best guard in KY, but if you don't think he could come off the bench and compete and get better with each season then you are mistaken. Besides, what does UK have right now that is so great? They can't even beat Gardner-Webb or Vandy. My gosh, they can't even score 20 points in a half after having all season to get used to Billy G. Is Vandy's D that good??
I think when UK beat Vandy earlier in the season, that they were something like 15-0 or 15-1 at that particular point. Vandy is no doormat by any stretch of the imagination.

We heard a lot of stories of Florida and Memphis's strong interest in the preseason. What happened to their interests? Is it still there at this point in time?
Mr.Kimball Wrote:I think when UK beat Vandy earlier in the season, that they were something like 15-0 or 15-1 at that particular point. Vandy is no doormat by any stretch of the imagination.

We heard a lot of stories of Florida and Memphis's strong interest in the preseason. What happened to their interests? Is it still there at this point in time?

no they are a very good team, but still though 11 points, or whatever it was, in a half, thats a little rediculus...
Don't you all keep up with Vundy on here.....he has been traveling alot lately! You could almost call him Waldo! LOL
Seriously, he is one of my fav posters on here. and does try to keep up with everyone.
The Guru Wrote:Don't you all keep up with Vundy on here.....he has been traveling alot lately! You could almost call him Waldo! LOL
Seriously, he is one of my fav posters on here. and does try to keep up with everyone.

haha thats too much travelin for me
i think Landon can be a walk-on and contribute to any program if he works hard...just like anybody else. he has to be willing to sacrifice things like playing time and recognition for 2 or 3 years of getting pounded in practice. Eventually, I wouldn't be surprised if he could contribute on the floor at some point.

It's really tough for anybody to say Landon "can" or "can't" PLAY at the D-1 level. Players like that are more to a program than how many points they score or how much time they get in the games. They contribute everyday by playing hard and setting an example. By being great players to play against in practice, in turn, he get's to play against great players everyday.

The big problem with most of the analysis of Landon assumes everything is in a vacuum and revolving around what one of you would do and not Landon. Players get better from hard work and practice no matter how good you think you are, or how good fans think you are.

Consider, and I don't know this, that Landon would be ecstatic to be a walk-on with an opportunity even if he never gets playing time.

I see alot of people saying he can't play D-1 without offering an explanation as to why. Somebody said he was a D-III or an NAIA player. D-III is not near the talent of NAIA and Landon would dominate.

IMO, Landon would be D-III AA within 2 years because it's just not a great talent level in the first place. He'd be a really good NAIA D1 or NCAA D-II player. Lastly, I think he could contibute to any program, UK, for a couple of reasons. First, he's strong and the physicality adjustment will be easier at the next level. Second, he can score a ton and he can shoot...apparently, regardless of the competition.
OMG Wrote:i thought in the stats i seen he had 25 points? thats a pretty good night by anybody's standards i think...

Obviously you did not see the game. He had a tech, int foul, a charge, had 4 fouls and sat the bench a couple min, he had a terrible night on his defense. All I was saying was he is a better player than what UK got to see that night. I hope if they are truly interested, they get to see more games than that one.
22lb Bass Wrote:Obviously you did not see the game. He had a tech, int foul, a charge, had 4 fouls and sat the bench a couple min, he had a terrible night on his defense. All I was saying was he is a better player than what UK got to see that night. I hope if they are truly interested, they get to see more games than that one.
Landon didn't have a great game by Slone measurements. But they also saw a team that tried to be very physical and smother him with defense....although he had an off night, he still dropped 25. And they have seen him in a couple of games.
Norm Stewert Wrote:he must be into mountain players he also spoke with big al holland about sophmore guard josh whitaker

Give me a break!! You gotta be kiddin. There is no way Josh Whitaker could should even be mentioned in the same breath as UK. I think Billy G must like to tease a little. Whitaker will be lucky to play NAIA.
IMO, Whitaker should worry about his golf career because he is awesome!

My opinion of this Landon and UK thing is this, Landon has no where near the talent needed to play in the Big East for Louisville and especially needed to play in the SEC for UK or Arkansas. Landons best option would be to play for a NAIA school or somewhere like Morehead State, even Marshall would be a good option. Nothing against him though but he would get killed at one of these Top D1 Schools, even if he did walk on, his best skills are shooting, what could he contribute on D. He needs to be consistent night in and night out, he cannot have games as he did against JC. Even the players that have walked on to UK have dominated in their High School careers, has he, No. I wish Landon the best of luck wherever he ends up, hopefully he will decide to go where he will receive playing time.
22lb Bass Wrote:Obviously you did not see the game. He had a tech, int foul, a charge, had 4 fouls and sat the bench a couple min, he had a terrible night on his defense. All I was saying was he is a better player than what UK got to see that night. I hope if they are truly interested, they get to see more games than that one.

no i wasn't at the game, but still getting 25 and not playing a good game and sitting most of the game in foul trouble...the technical might hurt but other than that it may bring out his passion for the game...
The belief that schools like Marshall and other, alleged, mid-majors are some huge drop below schools in the Big Easrt or SEC is a fallacy, imo as well as many others. The rate at which these teames beat the big boys has gone beyond surprising to routine.

If Landon can play for one of those teams, he can walk on and compete with the others. There's is no huge gap in ability any longer between guys in the top 150 and the next 150.

I'm not trying to say that Landon or Marshall could compete night in and night out with the big boys at the big schools. Quite the contrary, those players and schools are better, just not as much as some would give credit to say that you can't compete. You can compete.

If he can compete, he can play. It's that simple. It's the reason they contacted Coach Runyon. Landon may decide that he would rather go to a good NAIA program or to a school like Marshall. However, if he gets an opportunity to do something like be a preferred walk-on at UK, he can compete.

He'll compete and have an opportunity like sooooo many walk-ons in America now-a-days. At some point in his career with a ton of hard work and perseverence, he'll have an opportunity to make a contribution on the floor.

If somebody is trying to argue that he'd get to play early or trying to argue that he wouldn't get to play ever, you aren't arguing anything that would have to do with anything as to why he would go. He'd go for the opportunity to play. He isn't MAtt Heusenbuttal(sp?).

I know I wouldn't have tried if given that opportunity. Many guys would, and they'd stick it out to the last game doing everything they could to help the team and to get on the floor. Every guy who walked or had a schooly any place in America who stuck it out till the end Accomplished the former and a bazzillion have the latter.

IMO.
vundy33 Wrote:Not there anymore, meant to change it. Trust me I'm not a jealous teammate or another player. Not every member on this site is a 16 yr old JV basketball player. I just don't think he has anywhere near the talent that he needs to even be a walk-on at UK. IMO he would do so much better at a tiny D-1 school or NAIA school.

It's kinda funny you mentioning the word "talent" and you have a picture of a Cleveland Browns player on your comments. Isn't that an oxymoron?
Personally from what I have seen of the kid, he reminds me of Matt Walls of Scott County last year, 6-3 6-4 guard, great shooter, good ball handler, I think Walls was quicker and a better leaper and Slone a slightly better shooter, Walls signed at C-USA Marshall Thundering Herd, had started 6 games this year until he broke his hand last week. He was offered "preferred walk-on" status at UK, but preferred to go somewhere he knew he could play immediately and make an impact. BCG does like walk-ons so I could see this same scenario playing out. If they do offer him this status, that if he "earns" a scholarship later, he would have one, it will come down to his decision. I am sure he could play at another less prestegious program much earlier in his career and contribute much sooner.
Watchful Eye Wrote:It's kinda funny you mentioning the word "talent" and you have a picture of a Cleveland Browns player on your comments. Isn't that an oxymoron?

I think the Brownies went 10-6 last year, they have talent.
Congrats, Landon! This is a great kid, and an extremely hard worker. I wish nothing but the best for him!
22lb Bass Wrote:I wonder if UK is still interested after seeing his performance against JCHS?

He had 26 points but didn't play a lot of the second half due to foul trouble. 26 points is great considering he played with 3 then 4 fouls throughout the second half.

I've never seen a kid work as hard as Landon Slone, he has the dedication, determination and heart that every kid should possess if they want to play ball. Getting interest from teams like Louisville and Kentucky is truly a great honor, and will only make Landon work harder and harder as the year goes on and then the off-season comes along. It has been his destiny since he was a little kid to play on Rupp Arena's floor during the state tournament, thats all we have talked about through childhood, and now. Right now is of course Paintsville greatest chance to make it to Rupp and play at the Sweet 16. Rather it be Louisville, Kentucky, Marshall, Pikeville College I don't care where it is, I will always support him with whatever he does. Good luck Paintsville I will be rooting for ya!
BlackcatFootball Wrote:IMO, Whitaker should worry about his golf career because he is awesome!

My opinion of this Landon and UK thing is this, Landon has no where near the talent needed to play in the Big East for Louisville and especially needed to play in the SEC for UK or Arkansas. Landons best option would be to play for a NAIA school or somewhere like Morehead State, even Marshall would be a good option. Nothing against him though but he would get killed at one of these Top D1 Schools, even if he did walk on, his best skills are shooting, what could he contribute on D. He needs to be consistent night in and night out, he cannot have games as he did against JC. Even the players that have walked on to UK have dominated in their High School careers, has he, No. I wish Landon the best of luck wherever he ends up, hopefully he will decide to go where he will receive playing time.

:thatsfunn Are you serious??? Landon has averaged over 20 ppg in 4 years. He has only scored under 20 points one game this season, also averagin 7 rpg. Please enlighten us all on how Landon HASN'T dominated the last 4 years.
After reading some of the posts on here, I could care less about some of the "opinions" some people share. I would rather see kids like Landon Slone playing at UK than thug street ballers that make horrible decisions, bad passes and turn the ball over every **** trip down the court. For those that say he cant play at UK, have you seen UK play this year? Did you watch the Gardner Webb game? San Diego? Did you see the Vanderbilt game? And Landon Slone cant play at UK?? WTF are you people smoking? Whether or not he gets a bunch of PT is beside the point. I'd love to see an Eastern Kentuckian on the team. I know Tubby's gone, and hopefully the days of Ramel Bradley being one of the stars of your team is too. Travis Ford didnt have the size, wasnt very fast or athletic, but he made smart decisions with the ball, and could shoot the lights out. And I believe he turned out pretty good..So Im gonna have to disagree with a few on here, as I believe the University of Kentucky DOES need players like Landon Slone on the team. I'm tired of the Ramel Bradleys, the Joe Crawfords, the Brandon Stocktons, the street ballers that cant make a simple bounce pass and have stunk up Rupp Arena for the past few years..
Redneck Wrote::thatsfunn Are you serious??? Landon has averaged over 20 ppg in 4 years. He has only scored under 20 points one game this season, also averagin 7 rpg. Please enlighten us all on how Landon HASN'T dominated the last 4 years.

I agree, I mean really scoring 51pts. as a freshman in the Regional Tour.(against the eventual champion) Numerous All-State Honors. Has avg. over 20ppg all four years. Over 2,600pts. for his career. With all that said, for someone to say he hasnt dominatedSmile...Please tell us what is domination BlackcatFootball..
I'm gettin sick and tired of seein people make the comment about NAIA. Do you people not realize that 9 outta 10 players in the NAIA came from D-1 schools cause the couldn't make the grades. Yes Pikeville College has a great team this year but look at the roster and look those players careers up. Hazard's Justin Hicks is the only player on that team (that gets any playin time) that was recruited and signed outta high school. I remember last year ALOT of people sayin these same things about Justin Hicks and how he couldn't even play at PC, that he would end up at Alice Lloyd. Well he has started every game this year for the Bears and has had a heck of a true freshman year.
BlackcatFootball Wrote:IMO, Whitaker should worry about his golf career because he is awesome!

Have you even seen Kentucky's Walk-Ons that are on the team this year?..I mean, My God!, If Landon isn't as good or better than those guys, then call me Billy Gillespie Smile (which i know somebody will post calling me this).
TidesHoss32 Wrote:After reading some of the posts on here, I could care less about some of the "opinions" some people share. I would rather see kids like Landon Slone playing at UK than thug street ballers that make horrible decisions, bad passes and turn the ball over every **** trip down the court. For those that say he cant play at UK, have you seen UK play this year? Did you watch the Gardner Webb game? San Diego? Did you see the Vanderbilt game? And Landon Slone cant play at UK?? WTF are you people smoking? Whether or not he gets a bunch of PT is beside the point. I'd love to see an Eastern Kentuckian on the team. I know Tubby's gone, and hopefully the days of Ramel Bradley being one of the stars of your team is too. Travis Ford didnt have the size, wasnt very fast or athletic, but he made smart decisions with the ball, and could shoot the lights out. And I believe he turned out pretty good..So Im gonna have to disagree with a few on here, as I believe the University of Kentucky DOES need players like Landon Slone on the team. I'm tired of the Ramel Bradleys, the Joe Crawfords, the Brandon Stocktons, the street ballers that cant make a simple bounce pass and have stunk up Rupp Arena for the past few years..

That's my boy right there. Great Post Hoss :rockon:
Redneck Wrote:I'm gettin sick and tired of seein people make the comment about NAIA. Do you people not realize that 9 outta 10 players in the NAIA came from D-1 schools cause the couldn't make the grades. Yes Pikeville College has a great team this year but look at the roster and look those players careers up. Hazard's Justin Hicks is the only player on that team (that gets any playin time) that was recruited and signed outta high school. I remember last year ALOT of people sayin these same things about Justin Hicks and how he couldn't even play at PC, that he would end up at Alice Lloyd. Well he has started every game this year for the Bears and has had a heck of a true freshman year.

Couldn't have said it better myself...That only shows, who knows what there talking about..:Clap: