• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
All time starting 5 from your high school
-STAT- Wrote:Allen Central

Jeremy Hall
Shawn Newsome
Thomas Jenkins
Phil Slone
Bruce Mullins

Phil Slone is another great player from AC that has not been mentioned. He is also the father of Paintsville star Landon Slone
Mr.Kimball Wrote:I think the fact of playing for Notre Dame under Digger Phelps is a pretty good selling point myself. Digger had some dang good teams for a lot of years. Personally cant stand him , but never the less.......

Just an opinion 'ru. You know we all got em.
At the time that Adkins was at Notre Dame, they played year in and year out one of the toughest schedules in the nation. They were not in the Big East Conference as they are now. They were the top independent team in the nation and played the toughest schedule night in and night out in America. Being an independent with the high national profile that Notre Dame sustains only broadens the spectrum of how well rounded Adkins game had to have been to invited to play on the South Bend squad. You state Adkins deficencies , but I can tell you without a shadow of a doubt that Keith would have never made it through fall practice if he was not intense, rebounded reasonably well, or play most importantly of all play some DEFENSE. He would have been sent home packing, no matter how well he could shoot. The type of player that you described him as being plays at schools such as Alice Lloyd or another lower level NAIA school. You just described some other local offensive machines , that were never even recruited to play at the Major D1 level, such as Jimmy and Irvin Stepp.

It will be interesting to see where Slone ends up. I keep hearing the Marshall stories. Go down and watch a team like Pikeville, Mountain State, Georgetown, or Lindsey Wilson play and see how truely athleticly gifted those guards are. Is it Marshall that wants him, or more like he wants Marshall? We all have our dreams. The early signing period is done and gone, and I never heard the first mention of any D1 offers. Rivals posts their stars recruits on it's web site . Has Slone been listed on any of them? Just asking because I dont know. Even though a lot of those NAIA schools that I mentioned are local in geography , you will notice one glaring detail. Of all the guards that may receive the bulk of playing time, you will notice that there is very very few of them that are in turn local players. They come from all over the United States. Are you aware of how extremely difficult it is for a guard from this area to play at the D1 level? Heck you mentioned Todd Tackett. Tackett was twice the player and more athleticly gifted than Slone and he couldn't make it.Are you really aware of how athleticly good you must be to play at even a top notch NAIA school? A lot of comparisons were made between Slone and Jamie McCarty for what seems to be like the last 25 years, and you had a lot of differing opinions on who was the best. A lot of folks thought that McCarty was. Regardless, what I am trying to point out is, that McCarty was deemed to be a potential D1 player since he was in 8th grade. He went to a DII NAIA school basicly because there was no interest from anyone else on a larger scale, and doesn't even see the court. Didn't get a sniff from a D1 NAIA school. If anybody had pull at Pikeville, it would have been his high school coach. I know he is a freshman, but any kid that has D1 potential is going to see a bunch of early playing time even at Berea. I personally think that there is not a vast amount of difference between the abilities of McCarty and Slone. Slone does not have near the range that Adkins posessed and all of the qualities you mentioned Slone as having will be negated by his lack of athleticism at the likes of a Notre Dame or similar D1 institution. He wont be able to penetrate the lane, draw the foul, and shoot the free throw, because he will not be quick enough off the dribble to even get to the lane to begin with. That is in fact basicly that his game is, regarldless of what his shooting % may be from mid range or from behind the arc in high school. Wont work at the level your talking about, I dont care what his shooting % are at PHS against their foes.

That is my selling point on how athleticly good that Adkins had to have been to be able to even get a phone call regarding what interest he might have had in playing for the Fighting Irish, let alone get a scholarship from them..
There is no Div 1 in the mountains!!!!
The Private Wrote:There is no Div 1 in the mountains!!!!

Not followin ya here???

Do you mean there are no D-1 caliber players currently playin in the mountains?
Mr.Kimball Wrote:At the time that Adkins was at Notre Dame, they played year in and year out one of the toughest schedules in the nation. They were not in the Big East Conference as they are now. They were the top independent team in the nation and played the toughest schedule night in and night out in America. Being an independent with the high national profile that Notre Dame sustains only broadens the spectrum of how well rounded Adkins game had to have been to invited to play on the South Bend squad. You state Adkins deficencies , but I can tell you without a shadow of a doubt that Keith would have never made it through fall practice if he was not intense, rebounded reasonably well, or play most importantly of all play some DEFENSE. He would have been sent home packing, no matter how well he could shoot. The type of player that you described him as being plays at schools such as Alice Lloyd or another lower level NAIA school. You just described some other local offensive machines , that were never even recruited to play at the Major D1 level, such as Jimmy and Irvin Stepp.

It will be interesting to see where Slone ends up. I keep hearing the Marshall stories. Go down and watch a team like Pikeville, Mountain State, Georgetown, or Lindsey Wilson play and see how truely athleticly gifted those guards are. Is it Marshall that wants him, or more like he wants Marshall? We all have our dreams. The early signing period is done and gone, and I never heard the first mention of any D1 offers. Rivals posts their stars recruits on it's web site . Has Slone been listed on any of them? Just asking because I dont know. Even though a lot of those NAIA schools that I mentioned are local in geography , you will notice one glaring detail. Of all the guards that may receive the bulk of playing time, you will notice that there is very very few of them that are in turn local players. They come from all over the United States. Are you aware of how extremely difficult it is for a guard from this area to play at the D1 level? Heck you mentioned Todd Tackett. Tackett was twice the player and more athleticly gifted than Slone and he couldn't make it.Are you really aware of how athleticly good you must be to play at even a top notch NAIA school? A lot of comparisons were made between Slone and Jamie McCarty for what seems to be like the last 25 years, and you had a lot of differing opinions on who was the best. A lot of folks thought that McCarty was. Regardless, what I am trying to point out is, that McCarty was deemed to be a potential D1 player since he was in 8th grade. He went to a DII NAIA school basicly because there was no interest from anyone else on a larger scale, and doesn't even see the court. Didn't get a sniff from a D1 NAIA school. If anybody had pull at Pikeville, it would have been his high school coach. I know he is a freshman, but any kid that has D1 potential is going to see a bunch of early playing time even at Berea. I personally think that there is not a vast amount of difference between the abilities of McCarty and Slone. Slone does not have near the range that Adkins posessed and all of the qualities you mentioned Slone as having will be negated by his lack of athleticism at the likes of a Notre Dame or similar D1 institution. He wont be able to penetrate the lane, draw the foul, and shoot the free throw, because he will not be quick enough off the dribble to even get to the lane to begin with. That is in fact basicly that his game is, regarldless of what his shooting % may be from mid range or from behind the arc in high school. Wont work at the level your talking about, I dont care what his shooting % are at PHS against their foes.

That is my selling point on how athleticly good that Adkins had to have been to be able to even get a phone call regarding what interest he might have had in playing for the Fighting Irish, let alone get a scholarship from them..

My head hurts.Big Grin
I have read and reread this post trying to figure out why you think Adkins was better than Slone is. All I can get from this is that you think that because Adkins signed with Notre Dame that he must have been better. And then a lengthy arguement on why Slone isn't D-1 material.
Lest we be reminded that this is about High School kids. How many kids have been mentioned in this thread that never sniffed a college court?
And really now....How much of Adkins have you really seen?
Are you going on perception?
I am not asking you to believe me, but I will tell you that Slone would start over Adkins on my team.
Adkins did have much more range than Slone but the line is only 19'6".
:mad:
Going to pick my five from a variety of schools.

57th
Johnson Central - Howard Wallen pt.
Tim Branham shooting guard
Mike Castle, Center
Jack Wireman, shootin forward
David Couch, Power forward

Paintsville
Going to pick my five from a variety of schools.

57th
Mike Castle, Center

Paintsville Keith Adkins, Pt.
Todd Tackett, shooting guard
J.R. Vanhoose, Center
Craig Ratliff, Shooting forward
Josh McKenzies, Powere forward

Sheldon Clark Jimmy Stepp, Pt. Guard
Earvin Stepp, Shooting guard
BondJamesBond Wrote:Going to pick my five from a variety of schools.

57th
Mike Castle, Center

J.R. Vanhoose, Center

He never ever played the point. Did he? You think Ratliff was better than Mr. Basketball, jersey hanging in the rafters at Rupp John Pelfrey and McKenzie was better than Joey Couch?
The Guru Wrote:My head hurts.Big Grin
I have read and reread this post trying to figure out why you think Adkins was better than Slone is. All I can get from this is that you think that because Adkins signed with Notre Dame that he must have been better. And then a lengthy arguement on why Slone isn't D-1 material.
Lest we be reminded that this is about High School kids. How many kids have been mentioned in this thread that never sniffed a college court?
I am not asking you to believe me, but I will tell you that Slone would start over Adkins on my team.
I'll send you a Goody's Powder, or you can stop by. I'll even afford you the luxery of curb serviceSmile

Man your a hard guy to sell.Big Grin Since you asked me to sell you my load of goods, I have just tried to give you the logic behind it. What else can I do? I thought that is what you asked me to do. What other thing would you like me to comment on? I think common sense is what I offered.

Perception? Did Adkins also not lead the state in scoring during his high school days against much better teams than Paintsville currently plays? That's a little better stat line than what Slone is doing as well. Probably not all that relevant of a statement , but none the less, so.

To be picky here , the line is actually 19'9", and if you are not a jump shooter and can't elevate from that distance you better have 4 other guys setting picks for you on each play because you will never be able to get a shot off from that range, if you cant create against D1 type defense with 6'5" lightening quick quards quarding you. What range does for you is to give you about the only equalizer that you can have if you are missing the athletic factor. Slone shoots a set shot from that range , does not shoot a true jumper as he is minus the athletic element. Keep in mind that is only the offensive factor. What about defense? If you are not able to in turn guard those same 6'5" lightening quick guards, you are basicly useless anyways. That is a more important element than the offensive factor to begin with. Thousands of kids in America can put up big offensive numbers. Put em in the real world after that. There is a reason why the 15th region has not produced a D1 signee for 10 years now.

I'll give it a rest. This all started out with me just kidding around with you. I wont have any more comment on the subject as this may get out of hand and be perceived as a player bashing segment. Slone is a good player. Never meant to imply that he wasn't. Certainly one of the best to play in this region the last few years. He is just this years nominee of the annual 15th region hype fest that we annually initiate. We for some reason have to create our own super hero to feel equal with the rest of the basketball world. There are some guys that have watched maybe more high school basketball in the area over the years than I have, but I've seen more than plenty and been around for a long time. Played on one of the better teams to ever play in this region and got to live that dream that every high school player in the 15th region themselves only dream about, so at least give me the credit of certainly being no dummy on the subject. Smile

As I said , mine is all just an opinion to begin with, and we all certainly have one of those.

57th
Mike Castle, Center

Paintsville
Wrong thread...start a new one.

57th
Mike Castle, Center

J.R. Vanhoose, Center

Wrong thread...start a new one
Please note this thread topic...If you want to do a Top 5 from a variety of schools, or from the region , or whatever, please start a new thread topic
FOX SPORTS Wrote:Wrong thread...start a new one

This is the right thread..
FOX SPORTS Wrote:Please note this thread topic...If you want to do a Top 5 from a variety of schools, or from the region , or whatever, please start a new thread topic

The "variety" of schools he picked his Johnson Central team from were the schools that consolidated to make up Johnson Central High School. That's no different than the few people who made their Shelby Valley roster with Virgie and Dorton players...
All high school players are scouted through a chain starting with "word of mouth to actual college scout." While it's possible that a few slip through the cracks, most are fairly evaluated as to their skills. A scout's job is based entirely on his ability to size up talent and potential. If a player isn't recruited, then that player has been evaluated as not worthy of being recruited either by local experts and/or professionals working for colleges. Yes, sometimes a kid (usually with modest numbers) will not get recruited because the local experts don't understand his ability and fail to alert a professional scout. This sort of thing occurs when the school for which the kid plays competes under the radar. However, kids with big numbers, whether under the radar or not, most always get a personal look, or at the least a telephone inquiry to local opposing coaches concerning their ability.

So if a kid isn't recruited, the probability is that he didn't have the talent to play at the next level. Is this a measure of "best player"? From reading the evaluations provided by you all, I would guess it's a fine measure. No one is saying, "even though he wasn't recruited, he gave fans the most enjoyment because we love to watch good shooters, or small players succeed at this level inspite of their height, or players without quickness or next level height compensate well.

Otherwise, you are saying my evaluation stands against the wisdom of guys who make their living by scouting. I am a 60's 14th region guy who also loved travelling to see 15th region ball.
Howard Wallen was one of my favorite Morehead players, and if I'm not mistaken, Dotson also played on that team. Wallen could never have played at the next level but he made that team transcend its individual parts. I doubt whether an allpro NBA guy could have brought them together as magically. Pelphrey at UK was that sort of player but didn't have as much magical influence
because he was not at the guard position. Could Wallen have pulled it off at guard for the Unforgettables? Maybe, the athletic defensive guards in the OVC were comparable to the 90's SEC
guards. And so forth.... Eugene Lyons comes to mind...but I've drifted into "best" OVC player haven't I? Fans understand shooting; coaches understand quickness, strength and "feel" for the game. "Feel" would take another two pages, so I'm outta here.
elijah Wrote:All high school players are scouted through a chain starting with "word of mouth to actual college scout." While it's possible that a few slip through the cracks, most are fairly evaluated as to their skills. A scout's job is based entirely on his ability to size up talent and potential. If a player isn't recruited, then that player has been evaluated as not worthy of being recruited either by local experts and/or professionals working for colleges. Yes, sometimes a kid (usually with modest numbers) will not get recruited because the local experts don't understand his ability and fail to alert a professional scout. This sort of thing occurs when the school for which the kid plays competes under the radar. However, kids with big numbers, whether under the radar or not, most always get a personal look, or at the least a telephone inquiry to local opposing coaches concerning their ability.

So if a kid isn't recruited, the probability is that he didn't have the talent to play at the next level. Is this a measure of "best player"? From reading the evaluations provided by you all, I would guess it's a fine measure. No one is saying, "even though he wasn't recruited, he gave fans the most enjoyment because we love to watch good shooters, or small players succeed at this level inspite of their height, or players without quickness or next level height compensate well.

Otherwise, you are saying my evaluation stands against the wisdom of guys who make their living by scouting. I am a 60's 14th region guy who also loved travelling to see 15th region ball.
Howard Wallen was one of my favorite Morehead players, and if I'm not mistaken, Dotson also played on that team. Wallen could never have played at the next level but he made that team transcend its individual parts. I doubt whether an allpro NBA guy could have brought them together as magically. Pelphrey at UK was that sort of player but didn't have as much magical influence
because he was not at the guard position. Could Wallen have pulled it off at guard for the Unforgettables? Maybe, the athletic defensive guards in the OVC were comparable to the 90's SEC
guards. And so forth.... Eugene Lyons comes to mind...but I've drifted into "best" OVC player haven't I? Fans understand shooting; coaches understand quickness, strength and "feel" for the game. "Feel" would take another two pages, so I'm outta here.
Good post. Howard and Leornard Coulter were a heck of a tandem at Morehead. I have played pickup with Howard many times back in my younger days and still refer to his dad affectionately as "coach". Howard may have been the best all purpose guard to come out of the 15th region. I think he could very easily have played for the "Unforgettables" as he was recruited by Rupp back in the day anyways. It all came down in the end to Ronnie Lyons getting the nod over Howard. That's how good of a player he was.
A-TRAIN Wrote:I would go with

Elisha Justice (PG/SG)
Chad Bowling (PG/SG)
Jeremy Shane Johnson (F)
Jeremy Akers (F)
Matt Baker © - yeah I know he transferred to ACHS

[COLOR="Red"]If you add in Virgie and Dorton, completely different

Rodney Rowe
Greg Newsome
Stoney Newsome
Gerald Osborne
Todd May[/COLOR]
No Robert Newsome, How about Mike May?

Estill Bentley from Dorton?

I love Landon's game but trust me Keith Adkins would outplay him in every aspect of the game. He played when there was no three point line, he had unlimited range, played good defense, was a good passer and shot about 92% from the stripe. JMO.
East Ridge

We really haven't been around but 5-6 years, so there's just a few guys.

G-Aaron Branham
G-Brandon Ratliff
F-Jordan Mullins
F-Kyle Fletcher
C-Robbie Spears

There are probably many others, but those are the ones that come to mind.
Mr.Kimball Wrote:Some good picks there rifle. Here's my take on JCHS's best, and not only am I old enough to have seen them all play, I have seen them all play. By the way, Tim Branham signed and played at Southwest Missouri State.

Howard Wallen (G)- Morehead( Held all time assist record at Morehead until a couple of years ago) Best player to ever play at Johnson Central period.

Paul Bradley LeMaster (G)- Morehead Started 4 years at Morehead--defensive nightmare for opponents

David Couch (F)- Army (lead state in scoring his senior year)

Harry Meek (G)- McDonalds All American, member of the Ky/Indiana All Star team (Started baseball for 4 years at Louisville, and was asked by Denny Crum to play for the basketball team,(but declined) when Louisville was one of the nation's best programs)

Mike Castle ©- Best center to ever play at JC. (Played on a team at Prestonsburg Community College that defeated the heralded UK freshman team of Jimmy Dan Conners , etc.) As kyrifle mentioned, could have played at many places.

Couple of other names:
Jack Wireman(F) - the best pure shooter that to this day has ever played at Johnson Central

Terry Branham (G) - outstanding passing guard.

Vince Pack (F)- Just an outstanding athlete

Mike Jarrell (G)- Quickest player to ever play at JC

Nice list!!! Can't find any fault with it!
Tomcat Great Wrote:Ashland All Time Five
1. Ellis Johnson (Morehead St)
2. Harold Sergant (Morehead St)
3. Larry Conley (UK)
4. Chuck Cantrell (Indiana St / UC)
5. Mark Surgalski (Georgetown College)

Good list! These were some good players. They have a lot more in the archives though that could flat out play!
Mr.Kimball Wrote:No Robert Newsome, How about Mike May?

Estill Bentley from Dorton?

If you are going to add in anybody from Doeton then it has to be Randy Anderson. He is one of the best if not the best to play there. Two time All-state amd inaugural member into the SV Hall of Fame.
Pike Central

Jamie Hamilton-G
Shawn Scott- G
Barry Sanders-G
Chase Lyons-F/C
Bobby Mullins-F/C

Pike Central hasn't really produced any great Forwards or Centers that I can remember. Chase was a heck of a player, does any one remember one that I am leaving out?

57th
Mike Castle, Center

J.R. Vanhoose, Center

Earvin is actually spelled Ervin and he played the biggest part of his high school days at Phelps, not Sheldon Clark.
Bob Porter is your all time starting point at Paintsville. Guys like Brian were pretty good players, but not much better than me and I don't make the list by a long shot.

Sure, I'm biased. However, he's the only one I know to play and finish a D-1 ride with 2 years of starting at Baylor.

my list.

JR VanHoose
John Pelphrey
Jerry Pelphrey(most underrated)
Keith Adkins
Bob Porter

Nobody plays out of position and each was the best at that position at Paintsville...IMO.

You could list about a bunch of other guys that played NAIA and/or D-2, as well as guys who played NAIA D-2 and /or D-3. Those mentioned above all played and committed to D-1 programs. 4 of the 5 made a significant positive impact on their college teams' success with Kieth making a significant impact once he settled at Wilmington.

Guru, I played with Kieth and he has unmatched range from anybody on mentioned from anywhere...maybe Hoskins Carroll? Anyway, he was the second leading scorer in the state and routinely filled up for 40 while putting on a show from 3. He and Landon are 2 different players, and Keith was the more pure shooter and 2 guard.

IMO.

Go Mayor.
15thRegionSlamaBamma Wrote:Pike Central

Jamie Hamilton-G
Shawn Scott- G
Barry Sanders-G
Chase Lyons-F/C
Bobby Mullins-F/C

Pike Central hasn't really produced any great Forwards or Centers that I can remember. Chase was a heck of a player, does any one remember one that I am leaving out?

Maybe Brad Lowe?
TRAIN85 Wrote:Elkhorn City had Jimmy Kent Kerr and Todd "Hef" Conley that I know about. Nobody would dare say that these two wouldn't be in EC starting five for all time.

Did'nt Tyler Bailiff & Shannon Keen (king) play @ Elkhorn City or am I confusing them w/another school?
Spartan4Life Wrote:KCC

Herbie Stamper

There I got KCC Started.

If memory serves me correctly Greg Stamper was pretty decent there as well.
Mr.Kimball Wrote:Maybe Brad Lowe?

see I thought about that but Brad wasn't really a post player defensively or offensively he was honestly a guard but was forced to play inside. But I guess you should place him in there over Mullins idk. What would you do?
From my old Virgie High School, I would say:

Todd May
Tommy Castle
Stoney Newsome
Mike May
Greg Newsome/Rodney Rowe (tie)

honorable-mention:

Robert Newsome
Gerald Osborne
Don Blair

Head Coach:

Bobby Osborne/Virgil Osborne