Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: All time starting 5 from your high school
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
all time starting 5 from your high schools??
Prestonsburg Blackcats

From what I've seen. (Started watching Blackcat Basketball around '01) So I'm not very familiar with the years before that. I'm sure there would be some players from the '89 team that would make the list.

F- Sean Leslie
F- Jesse Chaffin
G- Nick Jamerson
G- Micheal Stephens
G- Trevor Compton

Bench
Trevor Patton
Lewis Barnett
Justin Allen
John Mark Stephens

Someone that could have made this list was Justin Allen. He caught the injury bug late in this high school career, and never got to do much. But he had great size and could shoot the ball very well.
Nick Jamerson wasn't a gaurd. And you really do need to catch up on your school's history before you post in a thread like this cause trust me, not one of those boys would be on the list. They were all good ball players but Pburg has had some dandy's come thru there over the years.
Redneck Wrote:Nick Jamerson wasn't a gaurd. And you really do need to catch up on your school's history before you post in a thread like this cause trust me, not one of those boys would be on the list. They were all good ball players but Pburg has had some dandy's come thru there over the years.

Like I said I didn't really watch much Blackcat Basketball before '01. And I did say there that there are some players that should be on that list other than the ones I listed.
JCHS:
David Couch
Rick Conley
Robbie Obryan
Avery Fairchild or Roger Fairchild
Harry Meek
Watchful Eye Wrote:JCHS:
David Couch
Rick Conley
Robbie Obryan
Avery Fairchild or Roger Fairchild
Harry Meek

No Bart Williams?
Pikeville
PG-Mark Myers
SG-Chris Slater( really a point guard)
SF-Doug Powers
PF-Howard Lockhart
C-No idea (little help)
JC
Howard Wallen (Morehead State)
David Couch (Army)
Bart Williams (Pikeville)
Mike Castle (could have played at a couple places)
Tim Branham (Not sure if he played anywhere after JC )
These are just a few of many that some of you are not old enough to know about, but trust me they're better than anyone that's come through JC in the last 20 years.
I'll get Russells started with 2 nominations.

Chris Jones Class of 1988
Jon Vanhoose Class of 2007
KCC

Herbie Stamper

There I got KCC Started.
HazzBeen Wrote:No Bart Williams?

I apologize, I was trying to think of 5 as quick as possible and I forgot several players, several really good players. My apology to Bart, Jamie McCarty and others.
xoJouseox Wrote:KCC

Herbie Stamper

There I got KCC Started.
Is this Knox or Knott?
Watchful Eye Wrote:I apologize, I was trying to think of 5 as quick as possible and I forgot several players, several really good players. My apology to Bart, Jamie McCarty and others.

I hope you were jokin...
Here's Some started for Betsy Layne-
*Grady Wallace-Played at Pikeville College and then the University of South Carolina, where he led the nation in scoring in 1957 averaging 31.3, scoring more than Wilt Chamberlain in 57 and inducted into the SC Hall of Fame.
*Dan Hall- Played at the University of Kentucky
*Ronnie Akers- All state honors I believe, in the last year the Bobcats won the Regional.
For pikeville @ center maybe Murray Garvin, back in the day he was an outstanding talent!!!
DevilsWin Wrote:Is this Knox or Knott?

Knott
Two of Shelby Valley's all time starters would have to be Todd May and Rodney Rowe.
ComeFlyWithMe Wrote:Two of Shelby Valley's all time starters would have to be Todd May and Rodney Rowe.

It would be, but they happen to belong to Virgie's all time starting 5. Not Shelby Valleys.
alfus21 Wrote:It would be, but they happen to belong to Virgie's all time starting 5. Not Shelby Valleys.

Well I'm saying since Dorton and Virgie combined to Valley, they're on Valley's team. But theoretically, you're right.
McDowell Daredevils - no paticular order

Glen Turner
Steve Smith
Rick Hall
Tommy Martin
Henry Webb
particular i mean
kyrifle Wrote:JC
Howard Wallen (Morehead State)
David Couch (Army)
Bart Williams (Pikeville)
Mike Castle (could have played at a couple places)
Tim Branham (Not sure if he played anywhere after JC )
These are just a few of many that some of you are not old enough to know about, but trust me they're better than anyone that's come through JC in the last 20 years.
Some good picks there rifle. Here's my take on JCHS's best, and not only am I old enough to have seen them all play, I have seen them all play. By the way, Tim Branham signed and played at Southwest Missouri State.

Howard Wallen (G)- Morehead( Held all time assist record at Morehead until a couple of years ago) Best player to ever play at Johnson Central period.

Paul Bradley LeMaster (G)- Morehead Started 4 years at Morehead--defensive nightmare for opponents

David Couch (F)- Army (lead state in scoring his senior year)

Harry Meek (G)- McDonalds All American, member of the Ky/Indiana All Star team (Started baseball for 4 years at Louisville, and was asked by Denny Crum to play for the basketball team,(but declined) when Louisville was one of the nation's best programs)

Mike Castle ©- Best center to ever play at JC. (Played on a team at Prestonsburg Community College that defeated the heralded UK freshman team of Jimmy Dan Conners , etc.) As kyrifle mentioned, could have played at many places.

Couple of other names:
Jack Wireman(F) - the best pure shooter that to this day has ever played at Johnson Central

Terry Branham (G) - outstanding passing guard.

Vince Pack (F)- Just an outstanding athlete

Mike Jarrell (G)- Quickest player to ever play at JC
Mr.Kimball Wrote:Some good picks there rifle. Here's my take on JCHS's best, and not only am I old enough to have seen them all play, I have seen them all play. By the way, Tim Branham signed and played at Southwest Missouri State.

Howard Wallen (G)- Morehead( Held all time assist record at Morehead until a couple of years ago) Best player to ever play at Johnson Central period.

Paul Bradley LeMaster (G)- Morehead Started 4 years at Morehead--defensive nightmare for opponents

Harry Meek (G)- McDonalds All American, member of the Ky/Indiana All Star team (Started baseball for 4 years at Louisville, and was asked by Denny Crum to play for the basketball team,(but declined) when Louisville was one of the nation's best programs)

Mike Castle ©- Best center to ever play at JC. (Played on a team at Prestonsburg Community College that defeated the heralded UK freshman team of Jimmy Dan Conners , etc.) As kyrifle mentioned, could have played at many places.

Couple of other names:
Jack Wireman(F) - the best pure shooter that to this day has ever played at Johnson Central

I remember all these players. I'm sure there are some more that hasn't been mentioned
Good post. I enjoy reading your opinions.
Now JC head coach Tommy McKensie was darn good high school player. But I'm not old enough to know anything about the players you listed.
I'm Just wandering???? Since you all have been talking about JC. Who was the best player or star from the team that Johnny Ray took to the Sweet 16?
OnCeABobcat Wrote:I'm Just wandering???? Since you all have been talking about JC. Who was the best player or star from the team that Johnny Ray took to the Sweet 16?

They had 9 very good seniors that season, but Tommy McKenzie was probably their best player. He was named the 15th region player of the year that season.
Allen Central
G Jeremy Hall Class of 95
G Roger Horne Class of 87
F Thomas Jenkins Class of 97
F Tim Branham Class of 82
C Bruce Mullins Class of 80
Mr.Kimball Wrote:Some good picks there rifle. Here's my take on JCHS's best, and not only am I old enough to have seen them all play, I have seen them all play. By the way, Tim Branham signed and played at Southwest Missouri State.

Couple of other names:

Didn't Jimmy Daniels have around or over 1500 points in his years at Johnson Central?
I remember him playing but he was a little younger than me.
Robbie Obryan went on to coach for Winthrop I believe, do you know if he is still there?
OnCeABobcat Wrote:I'm Just wandering???? Since you all have been talking about JC. Who was the best player or star from the team that Johnny Ray took to the Sweet 16?

Probably Mckenzie
Alright I was just wandering! That name sounds familiar, now that you mention Mckenzie.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6