Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: All time starting 5 from your high school
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
gish Wrote:How about Patrick Tackett or Kelsey Friend?

Decent ballers, but I would have to say no!
gish Wrote:When did he play? My memory only goes back to mid-90's. Scott Hall was put on their merely because of stories I had heard about him and the 89 team.
Mid 80's
Prestonsburg
G- John Ortega
G-Wes Sammons
F-Dennis Walker
F-Andy Jarvis
C- Keith Leslie
Shelby Valley

PG Terry Wright
SG Chad Bowling
SF Jeremy Johnson
PF Shannon Akers
C Patrick Tackett

Honorable Mention
Mitch Harris
Paul Terry Fleming
Jeremy Akers
Josh Goad
Johnny Alvin
Bobby Keys
Kelsey Friend

Most Underrated....Kevin Hall
Best Scorer.....Chad Bowling
Hardest Worker.....Mitch Harris
Best Overall Career.....Shannon Akers
Owsley County 1983 Team Under Coach Charlie Turner , Mike Turner, Caleb Dean, Gary Wayne Bowling, Phillip Dooley And Joe Blane Spencer.
rallo316 Wrote:Johns Creek

1.G- David Rhodes
2.G- William (Curly) Davis
3.F- David Lyons
4.F- Kevin Blackburn
5.C Eugene Lyons
and i know i left some good ones out a lot of good players have come from JC.
Would Bill Burchett be considered for a spot, he went to Ky Wesleyan on a basketball scholarship?
A-TRAIN Wrote:I would go with

Elisha Justice (PG/SG)
Chad Bowling (PG/SG)
Jeremy Shane Johnson (F)
Jeremy Akers (F)
Matt Baker © - yeah I know he transferred to ACHS

That's a good list too. I thought about Matt Baker, but I didn't remember him transferring! Was that right after Bobby O quit the job?

As for Elisha, I think he will be on the list after his career, but for now I would have to have Mitch Harris on there instead.
More Cowbell Wrote:That's a good list too. I thought about Matt Baker, but I didn't remember him transferring! Was that right after Bobby O quit the job?

As for Elisha, I think he will be on the list after his career, but for now I would have to have Mitch Harris on there instead.

Yeah, it was soon after Bobby quit and Rodney took over the job, just around the time of the coup de tat when all seniors quit the team.

Mitch Harris was a solid ball handler, defender and scorer, and yes, by the time Elisha is gone, he will be on that list. Its funny that those teams with Harris, Bowling, Johnson, Keys, Hall never made it past the reginal semi finals though (due to Belfy teams with JJ Hylton and Shawn Hagar) and even lost district championships to Pikeville. Also at PG on that list could be Rodney Kiser, great defender, rebounder no the best scorer but hard nosed for a floor leader. He led the team in 1992 that beat Elkhorn City with Heff Conley, eventually losing to another Belfry team. Of course there are Terry Wright and others who have played there since I have been gone, most look back at the list and only remember the prolific scorers and not those guys who had other intangibles. Jamie Roberts and Nathan Berger to name a couple.
A-TRAIN Wrote:Yeah, it was soon after Bobby quit and Rodney took over the job, just around the time of the coup de tat when all seniors quit the team.

Mitch Harris was a solid ball handler, defender and scorer, and yes, by the time Elisha is gone, he will be on that list. Its funny that those teams with Harris, Bowling, Johnson, Keys, Hall never made it past the reginal semi finals though (due to Belfy teams with JJ Hylton and Shawn Hagar) and even lost district championships to Pikeville. Also at PG on that list could be Rodney Kiser, great defender, rebounder no the best scorer but hard nosed for a floor leader. He led the team in 1992 that beat Elkhorn City with Heff Conley, eventually losing to another Belfry team. Of course there are Terry Wright and others who have played there since I have been gone, most look back at the list and only remember the prolific scorers and not those guys who had other intangibles. Jamie Roberts and Nathan Berger to name a couple.

I remember all those guys quitting now. That was kind of a dark day in the history of SV basketball.

And you're exactly right about that team with Bowling and Harris. I still believe Valley had the best team in the region that year, they just ran into a very strong Belfry team that played lights out on that fateful night. That '90-91 SV squad has to be one of the better local teams to not win the region.
The Guru Wrote:At Paintsville, JMO
Starter/Backup

PG- Mike Minix, Matt Ratliff
SG- Todd Tackett/ Landon Slone
SF- John Pelfrey/ Craig Ratliff
PF- Joey Couch/ Josh McKenzie
C- J.R. VanHoose/Scott Daniel

I know that Scott Daniel might have be a little undersized at 6'3"-6'4", but he played more like 6'6"-6'7" and was a beast inside.

And you would have Landon Slone over Keith Adkins?
Mr.Kimball Wrote:And you would have Landon Slone over Keith Adkins?
Yes,......I only chose 2 per position, and Landon is a great scorer, has very few turnovers, IMO plays harder than Keith did and is a better rebounder.
Can I have 11 on my team? If so then Keith is a shoe in! LOL
Pike Central

Gary Fields
Shawn Scott
Jamie Hamilton
Brad Lowe
Lance Bowman
Elwayfan Wrote:Decent ballers, but I would have to say no!

Patrick Tackett carried that team on his back his Junior and Senior years, not to mention he was the 15th Region Tourney MVP his Sophomore year.
gish Wrote:When did he play? My memory only goes back to mid-90's. Scott Hall was put on their merely because of stories I had heard about him and the 89 team.

He was there in the late 80's and was the star of the team who won the Region title in late 80's
Allen Central

Jeremy Hall
Shawn Newsome
Thomas Jenkins
Phil Slone
Bruce Mullins
5timechamp Wrote:Shelby Valley

PG Terry Wright
SG Chad Bowling
SF Jeremy Johnson
PF Shannon Akers
C Patrick Tackett

Honorable Mention
Mitch Harris
Paul Terry Fleming
Jeremy Akers
Josh Goad
Johnny Alvin
Bobby Keys
Kelsey Friend

I might add Mike Riddle in with Harris for the hardest worker.

I like this list of players, but Patrick wasn't a center and Terry really wasn't a point guard.
The Guru Wrote:Yes,......I only chose 2 per position, and Landon is a great scorer, has very few turnovers, IMO plays harder than Keith did and is a better rebounder.
Can I have 11 on my team? If so then Keith is a shoe in! LOL
But aint any where even close to being the shooter. You aint selling me any of that stuff today 'ru. What the heck has the Mrs. been growing in her garden anyways?Wink

Gee , and you usually have a better grasp on such things as that.:confused: Perhaps it's all just been a myth all this time.Big Grin

Come on now, tell the truth . Your just covering up the fact that you forgot about Keith.
Mr.Kimball Wrote:But aint any where even close to being the shooter. You aint selling me any of that stuff today 'ru. What the heck has the Mrs. been growing in her garden anyways?Wink

Gee , and you usually have a better grasp on such things as that.:confused: Perhaps it's all just been a myth all this time.Big Grin

Come on now, tell the truth . Your just covering up the fact that you forgot about Keith.

If the game was on the line, and we needed a trey then yes....Adkins without question. But Landon for his career is shooting over 50% from the field. This year alone is well over 60% and over 45% from 3 pt land. In all honesty, how can anyone deny that that is not a great shooter? Landon is by far the better rebounder, and if needed can go inside amongst the trees and either score or go to the line and a lot of times do both. Kieth never did that. If we were all just being honest here, we would say that Adkins was just a much better liked person than Landon. I know Slone has rubbed some the wrong way to say the least. But the kid has never been anything but nice and respectful to me. Now....do ya feel me a little!Big Grin
Mr.Kimball Wrote:But aint any where even close to being the shooter. You aint selling me any of that stuff today 'ru. What the heck has the Mrs. been growing in her garden anyways?Wink

Oh....and BTW....she does like to grow some herb!!!Smile Smile
The Guru Wrote:If the game was on the line, and we needed a trey then yes....Adkins without question. But Landon for his career is shooting over 50% from the field. This year alone is well over 60% and over 45% from 3 pt land. In all honesty, how can anyone deny that that is not a great shooter? Landon is by far the better rebounder, and if needed can go inside amongst the trees and either score or go to the line and a lot of times do both. Kieth never did that. If we were all just being honest here, we would say that Adkins was just a much better liked person than Landon. I know Slone has rubbed some the wrong way to say the least. But the kid has never been anything but nice and respectful to me. Now....do ya feel me a little!Big Grin

Still scratching my head here. Come on now Adkins signed to play with Notre Dame under Digger Phelps. I know it did not work out for him completely, but STILL he did do pretty good what time he was there.......... and then you try to sell this bag of goods.Smile

Aw, I feel ya man, so close I can almost taste it.............It's oozin all over the place.:rockon:

Just a side note question, since we getting into the agricultural side of things here........is your likeness going to be used as the scarecrow out there in those fields of bounty? If not, have to put your application in? Big Grin
Was the three point line in play when Keith was in high school? If not, I'd like to see his numbers with it in play.
The Guru Wrote:Oh....and BTW....she does like to grow some herb!!!Smile Smile

Herb Who ???Cool
Watchful Eye Wrote:Was the three point line in play when Keith was in high school? If not, I'd like to see his numbers with it in play.
It started his senior year, I think he led or was at least top 2 in state with treys.
It has been estimated that Adkins would have scored around 200-300 more points in his career if he had all 4 years to drain treys.Kieth had unbelievable range! I would watch him practice and he would nail trey after trey between 25-30 feet with just the flick of a wrist.
Mr.Kimball Wrote:Herb Who ???Cool
You know I can't say on a puplic forum!:dontthink
Mr.Kimball Wrote:Still scratching my head here. Come on now Adkins signed to play with Notre Dame under Digger Phelps. I know it did not work out for him completely, but STILL he did do pretty good what time he was there.......... and then you try to sell this bag of goods.Smile

Aw, I feel ya man, so close I can almost taste it.............It's oozin all over the place.:rockon:

Just a side note question, since we getting into the agricultural side of things here........is your likeness going to be used as the scarecrow out there in those fields of bounty? If not, have to put your application in? Big Grin
Well.....you sell me on Adkins! So far you have said he was so much more of a better shooter.....Slone has proven to be no slouch at all, but brings other parts of the game to the table......
The ball is in your court now!:letsparty
5timechamp Wrote:Shelby Valley

PG Terry Wright
SG Chad Bowling
SF Jeremy Johnson
PF Shannon Akers
C Patrick Tackett

Honorable Mention
Mitch Harris
Paul Terry Fleming
Jeremy Akers
Josh Goad
Johnny Alvin
Bobby Keys
Kelsey Friend

I believe Jacob Bryant would be the most underrated
uk hoops Wrote:Owsley County 1983 Team Under Coach Charlie Turner , Mike Turner, Caleb Dean, Gary Wayne Bowling, Phillip Dooley And Joe Blane Spencer.

The 1983 team was the best boys team to play at OCHS. If I had to pick a starting line-up from all-time though...

F- Mike Turner - 1983
F/2G- Joe Spencer - 1985
C- Jeff "Moose" Moore - 1990
2G - Paul Smith - 1962
PG- Buddy Cornwell - 1988 or
PG- Dakota Roberts - 2001

others:
(C/F- Jerry McIntosh - 1980, F- Travis McIntosh - 2001, 2G- Harold Creech - 1990, PG - Craig Marshall - 1992, F- Tyson Gross - 2005, PG - Gary "Pee Wee" Bowling - 1984, C/F - Adam Terry - 2002, 2G - Teddy Johnson - 1988)
DortonWildcat5 Wrote:I might add Mike Riddle in with Harris for the hardest worker.

I like this list of players, but Patrick wasn't a center and Terry really wasn't a point guard.

I know....just tried to list them by position as close as possible.
Elwayfan Wrote:I believe Jacob Bryant would be the most underrated

I did not list current players because their careers are not over. Great things may still be ahead. Also Jacob came to high school as a grade school star and has earned a lot of accalades throughout his career he has been listed as one of the top players in the district and region the last few years. So I do not consider him underated.
The Guru Wrote:Well.....you sell me on Adkins! So far you have said he was so much more of a better shooter.....Slone has proven to be no slouch at all, but brings other parts of the game to the table......
The ball is in your court now!:letsparty

I think the fact of playing for Notre Dame under Digger Phelps is a pretty good selling point myself. Digger had some dang good teams for a lot of years. Personally cant stand him , but never the less.......

Just an opinion 'ru. You know we all got em.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6