Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: All time starting 5 from your high school
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Ugot2BkidN Wrote:Did'nt Tyler Bailiff & Shannon Keen (king) play @ Elkhorn City or am I confusing them w/another school?

Tyler did, Shannon played at Feds Creek I believe.
Belfry(from what Ive seen, not including anything before the 70's)

PG-Shawn Hager, Mark Maynard
SG-JJ Hylton, Rod Runyon, Steve Staton
F-Mike Hatfield, Mike Scott, Adam Reed, Mark Williamson
C-Kenny Blackburn, Jim Dotson
Lee County: Larry Stamper, Parke Congleton, Ed Congleton, Dean Noe, Emery Crawford

Powell County: Nelson White, Goose Goodwin, Brad Morris, Winfred Hughes, Billy Hearne

Owsley County: Paul Smith, Jeff Moore, Jerry Mcintosh, Mike Turner, Russell Elkins

Breathitt County: Larry Noble, Arch Johnson, Earl Stevens, Charles Turner, Cecil Clair
wooderson Wrote:Belfry(from what Ive seen, not including anything before the 70's)

PG-Shawn Hager, Mark Maynard
SG-JJ Hylton, Rod Runyon, Steve Staton
F-Mike Hatfield, Mike Scott, Adam Reed, Mark Williamson
C-Kenny Blackburn, Jim Dotson

No Gary Smith or Jamie Case???

Others that could be mentioned are Matt Varney, Scott Thomas, Les Todd, Josh Worley, Jonathan Wright, and Doug Howard.
LOOKAYANNER Wrote:Lee County: Larry Stamper, Parke Congleton, Ed Congleton, Dean Noe, Emery Crawford

Powell County: Nelson White, Goose Goodwin, Brad Morris, Winfred Hughes, Billy Hearne

Owsley County: Paul Smith, Jeff Moore, Jerry Mcintosh, Mike Turner, Russell Elkins

Breathitt County: Larry Noble, Arch Johnson, Earl Stevens, Charles Turner, Cecil Clair

Breathitt County:

How can you not put Scott Moore on this list?
Leonidas Wrote:No Gary Smith or Jamie Case???

Others that could be mentioned are Matt Varney, Scott Thomas, Les Todd, Josh Worley, Jonathan Wright, and Doug Howard.

Youre right, how could I have forgotten Gary, one heck of a ball player. Im sorry but I was never impressed with Jamie, he had loads of talent but IMO just never became the leader like the ones I mentioned.

Matt was/could have been one of the best but he sat out his junior year and was overshadowed by Staton his senior year.

Scott, aka horse, was one **** of a shot blocker but never possessed a great low post game. Was a little weak and this hurt it greatly. I was always more impressed with the Browning kid on that team than Scott.

Les was a guard in a big mans body. He always felt more comfortable facing up than with his back to the basket and never dominated the boards like he should have.

Josh was as athletic as anyone that ever suited up for the Pirates. His problem was his consistency. He showed up one night and was a missing person the next night. Along with his constant whining with Coach J, it makes him a good one but not one of the best.

Jonathan had more god-given talent than anyone mentioned in this thread. He was another that I felt could have dominated more and had bigger numbers because of his poor supporting cast. But he should be mentioned as one of the best forwards, my mistake on him being left out.

Doug, Im sorry, was a much better football player and shouldnt be mentioned as one of Belfry's best in a basketball discussion.
Gary Smith - obviously you just left him off unintentionally and I know that.

Jamie Case - He can play. Might not beat out Hylton or Staton at the SG position for a an all-time team, but he is definitely one of the school's all-time greats.

And just for sake of argument if Howard shouldn't be mentioned then why would Mikey Scott be? Both were the same build and horses in the post, but Howard was a better shooter and defender.

Horse, Todd, Worley, Varney, and Wright were just names I threw in for discussion.

I really couldn't give a top 5 by position, but if I went by the most productive or who I thought were the 5 best it would look like this.

Mark Maynard
J.J. Hylton
Stevin Staton
Gary Smith
Jamie Case
Overrated Wrote:JBS

Tate Cox
Clark Stepp
Garrison Collins
Trey Short
Clint Stepp

love this.

i agree with this except i would throw seth hall in the mix in place of clint stepp.
I know this is a little off topic but Pikeville's current coaching staff would make a very good team:

Denny Paul May(All-time assist leader at Belfry)
Corey Russel(No real details, but as I remeber he was a very good gaurd for Pikeville back in the late 90s)
Lee Jones(I really don't know a lot of details, just that he was a 4 year starter)
Bart Williams
Todd May

The last two names pretty much speak for themsevles, I just thought it was interesting to think that if they were in any kind of shape, they would run the players that they coach (pikeville) out of the gym.
EASports12 Wrote:I know this is a little off topic but Pikeville's current coaching staff would make a very good team:

Denny Paul May(All-time assist leader at Belfry)
Corey Russel(No real details, but as I remeber he was a very good gaurd for Pikeville back in the late 90s)
Lee Jones(I really don't know a lot of details, just that he was a 4 year starter)
Bart Williams
Todd May

The last two names pretty much speak for themsevles, I just thought it was interesting to think that if they were in any kind of shape, they would run the players that they coach (pikeville) out of the gym.
I played with and against these guys a couple of summers ago and they all still have it and can play. They looked to be in pretty good shape to me.
Pike Central

1. Shawn Scott
2. Jamie Hamilton
3. John Blackburn
4. Lance Bowman
5. Chase Lyons
Bud Burnette
Barry Sanders
Brad Lowe
Sheldon Clark:

*PG: Scott Davis: Even though he transfered durring his senior year the kid could flat out play. As tough as anyone SC has had off the dribble and had a great basketball IQ.
*SG: Clayton Wells: One of the best guards to come through SC. Could control a game with his on the ball pressure and ability to run the team.
*SF: John Kirk: A big reason why the 82 team went to Rupp and a tough all around basketball player.
*PF: Brandon May: Lets face it he may of only played on one team with a great win-loss record but the boy could flat out play. He could go inside (where I thought he was at his best. Espically as a sophmore) and bang due to his size and strength and he could take you outside.
*C: Jimmy Turner: Another of the key reasons why SC went to Rupp in 82. Maybe the best player in the region that year and also had a nice car for a senior in high school.

Bench:
*John Slone: One of the better athletes and better basketball players to come through SC. Was uber athletic and made plays at both ends of the floor.
*Brad Tiller: If the best athlete to ever grace the halls at SC had played more than just 2 years he would have been a starter on the list. He didn't so he isn't.
*Max Hale: Ok SC hasn't had alot of 6'10 post players, but we had this one and he was special. He was so physical and so strong that teams had a hard time doing much of anything with him. If he could had controlled his temper he could have been a STUD.
*Nathan Moore: Maybe the second best all around athlete on this list (behind Tiller). He could do a little of everything and brought a tough mentallity that few could rival. Best athlete in region his senior year.
Super-Card Wrote:Sheldon Clark:

*PG: Scott Davis: Even though he transfered durring his senior year the kid could flat out play. As tough as anyone SC has had off the dribble and had a great basketball IQ.
*SG: Clayton Wells: One of the best guards to come through SC. Could control a game with his on the ball pressure and ability to run the team.
*SF: John Kirk: A big reason why the 82 team went to Rupp and a tough all around basketball player.
*PF: Brandon May: Lets face it he may of only played on one team with a great win-loss record but the boy could flat out play. He could go inside (where I thought he was at his best. Espically as a sophmore) and bang due to his size and strength and he could take you outside.
*C: Jimmy Turner: Another of the key reasons why SC went to Rupp in 82. Maybe the best player in the region that year and also had a nice car for a senior in high school.

Bench:
*John Slone: One of the better athletes and better basketball players to come through SC. Was uber athletic and made plays at both ends of the floor.
*Brad Tiller: If the best athlete to ever grace the halls at SC had played more than just 2 years he would have been a starter on the list. He didn't so he isn't.
*Max Hale: Ok SC hasn't had alot of 6'10 post players, but we had this one and he was special. He was so physical and so strong that teams had a hard time doing much of anything with him. If he could had controlled his temper he could have been a STUD.
*Nathan Moore: Maybe the second best all around athlete on this list (behind Tiller). He could do a little of everything and brought a tough mentallity that few could rival. Best athlete in region his senior year.
You dont go back very far , do you? lol

No Jimmy Stepp?

As far as as athletes , Darrin Fannin is one of the best pure athletes I have seen at Sheldon Clark.

A few good ones from the past. Curtis Maynard, Steve Goble, Jerry Pack, Ernie Delong, Wayne Tiller, Gary Gauze, Ronnie Evans.

Bench:
I love Nate to death, he is one of good friends, but I think Nick Jamerson and Shane Simpkins (even though he missed almost all of basketball due to injury) may have somethin to say about that statement as to bein the best athlete in the entire region. I would have LOVED to have seen all three of these boys on the same team on the football field and on a basketball court.
Mr.Kimball Wrote:No Robert Newsome, How about Mike May?

Estill Bentley from Dorton?

Robert or Stoney, take your pick, both solid players on the late 70s teams that won regional titles, couldn't pick both of the May boys

Now for my kids high school, I would say:

Matt Walls - PG
Rick Jones - SG
Scott Hundley - SF
Richie Phares - PF
Jared Carter - C

Man, what a lineup that would be, could throw Bud Mackey in there, since he is probably the most talented of the bunch
Mr.Kimball Wrote:You dont go back very far , do you? lol

No Jimmy Stepp?

As far as as athletes , Darrin Fannin is one of the best pure athletes I have seen at Sheldon Clark.

A few good ones from the past. Curtis Maynard, Steve Goble, Jerry Pack, Ernie Delong, Wayne Tiller, Gary Gauze, Ronnie Evans.
Add Eugene Moore.
wooderson Wrote:Youre right, how could I have forgotten Gary, one heck of a ball player. Im sorry but I was never impressed with Jamie, he had loads of talent but IMO just never became the leader like the ones I mentioned.

Matt was/could have been one of the best but he sat out his junior year and was overshadowed by Staton his senior year.

Scott, aka horse, was one **** of a shot blocker but never possessed a great low post game. Was a little weak and this hurt it greatly. I was always more impressed with the Browning kid on that team than Scott.

Les was a guard in a big mans body. He always felt more comfortable facing up than with his back to the basket and never dominated the boards like he should have.

Josh was as athletic as anyone that ever suited up for the Pirates. His problem was his consistency. He showed up one night and was a missing person the next night. Along with his constant whining with Coach J, it makes him a good one but not one of the best.

Jonathan had more god-given talent than anyone mentioned in this thread. He was another that I felt could have dominated more and had bigger numbers because of his poor supporting cast. But he should be mentioned as one of the best forwards, my mistake on him being left out.

Doug, Im sorry, was a much better football player and shouldnt be mentioned as one of Belfry's best in a basketball discussion.

John was on a team, that IMHO if Randy Casey would have gotten the job after Coach J left, would have been a region title contender. He came in out of shape his Sr year. He was gifted athletically though and definitely should be mentioned.

There was a lot of talent go through Belfry before 78' though, but records are hard to come by. Names like James Mercer, Mutt Varney, and Randy Runyon to name a few.

*SG: Clayton Wells: One of the best guards to come through SC. Could control a game with his on the ball pressure and ability to run the team.*SF: John Kirk: A big reason why the 82 team went to Rupp and a tough all around basketball player.

Bench:
Sounds like you are describing a point guard rather than a shooting guard to begin with. There is no way that you can have a list at Sheldon Clark and not have Jimmy Stepp as the SG. From the list of players that you named, perhaps you are not old enough to have seen Stepp play anyways.
A-TRAIN Wrote:Robert or Stoney, take your pick, both solid players on the late 70s teams that won regional titles, couldn't pick both of the May boys

Now for my kids high school, I would say:

Matt Walls - PG
Rick Jones - SG
Scott Hundley - SF
Richie Phares - PF
Jared Carter - C

Man, what a lineup that would be, could throw Bud Mackey in there, since he is probably the most talented of the bunch
Did Carter even start before his senior season? I dont think that he did. He wasn't all that impressive as a junior.
Mr.Kimball Wrote:You dont go back very far , do you? lol

No Jimmy Stepp?

Have you ever seen Brad Tiller do anything? He is the best athlete to ever play anything at SC. He was drafted by the Clevland Indians out of high school and out ran Kenny Lofton on 3 seperate ocassions, durring his prime. Many people thought Lofton was the fastest player in MLB durring that time. He didn't even play football his senior year and got a single vote for Mr. Football because of his junior year. All the players above mentioned were good athletes, but not the caliber of Brad.

I have a strong dis-like for all the Stepps and regardless of them being great shooters and good basketball players I would not put them on my team. This is about your starting 5 and I would never let a Stepp on my team. (I know that is pretty low of me, but I can't help it)
Super-Card Wrote:Have you ever seen Brad Tiller do anything? He is the best athlete to ever play anything at SC. He was drafted by the Clevland Indians out of high school and out ran Kenny Lofton on 3 seperate ocassions, durring his prime. Many people thought Lofton was the fastest player in MLB durring that time. He didn't even play football his senior year and got a single vote for Mr. Football because of his junior year. All the players above mentioned were good athletes, but not the caliber of Brad.

I have a strong dis-like for all the Stepps and regardless of them being great shooters and good basketball players I would not put them on my team. This is about your starting 5 and I would never let a Stepp on my team. (I know that is pretty low of me, but I can't help it)
Didn't say anyone was the caliber of Brad as far as speed.

I thought we were talking about basketball players. Speed does not particularly mean you a good basketball player. Speed alone does not define your abilities as a baseball player either. That and arm strength are the two primarly physical attributes that are looked at first, but all that speed couldn't help him hit the ball , and thus the demise of his professional baseball career. A little more to it than that.

As far as whatever feelings you have for the Stepps, I guess that's your own personal issue. Not going to get into that, and I guess that you can put whomever you want on your team, but that doesn't particularly make your picks the best picks however. I cant stand 99% of the players in the NBA. That doesn't mean that they cant play the game though.
Sheldon Clark: 1. Keith Hale - 6' 8" center, best player of all, no doubt - Holds game scoring records. 2. Brad Tiller - pressure player - just a flat out winner. 3. Jimmy Stepp - best of all the Stepps 4. John Slone - power forward with real power 5. John Kirk or 5. Todd Cline who could really play when he had his head on. Center: Hale; Power forward: Slone; Forward: Todd Cline; Point guard: Brad Tiller; Shooting guard: Jimmy Stepp; Sub: Kirk. Wow, I could beat anybody's line-up with that team. Size, strength, accuracy, speed, passing, ballhandling, and, with Tiller, tenacity.
For Sheldon Clark IMO the starting five should be:
1.Ryan Mollette
2.Steven Goble
3.BJ Moore
4.Damen Hensley
5.Brady Horn
but a strong 6th man in Justin Porter
CarD_Krazi_5 Wrote:For Sheldon Clark IMO the starting five should be:
1.Ryan Mollette
2.Steven Goble
3.BJ Moore
4.Damen Hensley
5.Brady Horn
but a strong 6th man in Justin Porter

??????
Irish#1 Wrote:Prestonsburg
G- John Ortega
G-Wes Sammons
F-Dennis Walker
F-Andy Jarvis
C- Keith Leslie

You have to add Freddie Mccoy on this list. he averaged 40 pts a game while at pburg his senior year. I think that it was 87 or 88
Inez had so many great players. Of course not many people are still alive that witnessed the old teams but you can see tapes and read about them. !. BILLY RAY CASSADY His 1954 INEZ INDIANS team won the state tournament; This team was known as "THE IRON MEN of THE MOUNTAINS" because they won 3 high profile games in 48 hours. They won the Louisville Invitational Tournament and drove back in between and won the Ashland Invitational. The whole starting five of the '54 Inez Indians started against Indiana in the KY - Indiana all- star game and WON! Billy Ray Cassaday played 4 yrs for RUPP and was on 1958 NCAA championship UK Wildcats team. He was the first player to shoot a one hand free throw. 2. OLLIE WARD played for Indians in 30's; He was in the State Tournament all 4 years in high school, a record held for 50 yrs. until broken by Richie Farmer with 5. He was nicknamed "Rab" by legendary coach, Russell Williamson, because he jumped like a jackrabbit. His senior team team was beaten in the semi- finals by the eventual winner in a game Williamson, the ultimate fair sportsman, always said was taken from them by political powers. They won the third place game. Ollie earned a full athletic scholarship at UK and played for Rupp. 3. ALEX HARMAN played on Inez state championship team in 1941. 4. BEN GOBLE played on 1940 Inez team that was said to be better than the state championship team the year after. I think they got upset in '40 by Pikeville in regional. Ben had to go into Army. 5. HERBBIE TRIPLET '54 state champs. Played in college. 6. DALE MOORE '54 state champs. Played college and was All- OVC. 7. JOHN PHILLIP CASSADY captain of 1930's third place team. He played at Morehead State for legendary coach Bobby Laughlin. John Phillip became a great coach and was the mentor of his nephew, #1 player, Billy Ray Cassady and SCHS current coach Roger Van Harless. John Phillip was the coach who trained and prepared the great Inez teams of 1950's. 7. ORVILLE STEPP 1962 Played at Marshall for legendary coach, Ellis Johnson. Orville is the uncle of players Ervin Stepp, Jimmy Stepp, Clark Stepp, John Slone, etc. 8. FLOYD MCCOY 1963 Played for Morehead. 9. EVERETT HORN JR. 1957. Played at Pikeville College. 10. CHARLES KIRK, LESTER WEST played in 1941 State Champs, 11. ODELL PACK 1967 Played at Va. Commonwealth, 12. OMAR FANNIN 1954 State champs, 13. GARY MEADE 1970, 14. JACK KIRK 1937 team. ... .. I know you said top 5, but with a history like this you can't pick just 5 . I could have picked the whole starting five on the '54 , '37 or '48 team. I think one of those teams played in a post season tournament and were named the NATIONAL CHAMPIONS too! That was either the '54 or '41 team. ..... ...... I remember my relatives talking about the Inez championship team in 41. One of my uncles lived in Paintsville and went to Inez rival, Meade Memorial High. They said they had a parade for the Inez State Champs in Paintsville and accompanied them in a huge parade from Paintsville to Inez! Alex Harmon and Lester West were eastern Ky heros to all east Kentuckians. Everybody respected and admired excellence back then and although Meade and Inez were fierce rivals, they backed each other to the hilt against everybody outside the district.
Better let two time all state tournament Doug Allen play point.
oops. For the Breathitt five that is.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6