Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
College Recruiting
Tyler Jones 6' 215 is the QB/LB at Russell and I'm pretty sure he is benching more than that. The kid is strong as an ox and is the hardest hitter I have seen by far this year. I don't know exactly what his numbers are but I have heard over 350 bench and 580 deadlift. There are some others on here that would know exactly how much he does lift. Maybe they can help me out here.

As for speed, if I had to guess about 4.7
TheyKnowMe Wrote:Dials benches 325
Runs a 4.6

He may bench 325, IDK, but is no way he runs a 4.6 40. Daniel Pugh ran a LEGIT 4.6 and Dials isn't faster than him. I played with ALOT of guys between high school and college who ran 4.6 40's and there is no way Dials could run with em. Like GRIZZ said, Matt, Ryan and Jason were monsters in high school and couldn't bench 325, Matt and Jason both won first place at the Lex Cath weight competition their senior years. Matt was an all-conference LB at PC and Jason was all-conference at G-town and IMO Dials is nowhere near the caliber player of either. Ryan started at James Madison (D-1 AA National Champs his soph year), if some of you think Dials is D-1 material, just look at some mountain players from the past and see how good they were before you start all the crazy talk.
Redneck Wrote:He may bench 325, IDK, but is no way he runs a 4.6 40. Daniel Pugh ran a LEGIT 4.6 and Dials isn't faster than him. I played with ALOT of guys between high school and college who ran 4.6 40's and there is no way Dials could run with em. Like GRIZZ said, Matt, Ryan and Jason were monsters in high school and couldn't bench 325, Matt and Jason both won first place at the Lex Cath weight competition their senior years. Matt was an all-conference LB at PC and Jason was all-conference at G-town and IMO Dials is nowhere near the caliber player of either. Ryan started at James Madison (D-1 AA National Champs his soph year), if some of you think Dials is D-1 material, just look at some mountain players from the past and see how good they were before you start all the crazy talk.

Actually, Ryan Brown started his true freshman season on the defensive line at James Madison, The following year was his redshirt season when they won the national championship. He was moved to the offensive line his next season and was not comfortable at all playing there , so he transferred back home to Pikeville. In my opinion there has no body even close to being a Ryan Brown in this area, .................well, since Ryan Brown.
GRIZZ Wrote:Where the hell was I at when this was going down? Apparently like you said, 100+ players from EKY were given season tickets to UK games this season from the way everyone is talking.

i want some of those tickets!!!
The 325lb bench could be possible, size really isnt a big as of a factor as most would think when it comes to bench pressing, alot of it has to do with technique, arm length, an tricep strength... I only weigh 160 an can bench 305... Doug Howard weighed in at aroun 180-185 his senior year, an I watched him with my own eyes bench press 415lbs, but he was something special, he hardly ever worked out, he can can go months with out lifting an walk in a gym an bench 395-400... Now about Dials 4.6 speed, it was probably taken by a coach with a stop watch... David Jones could run a 4.2 flat on a coaches stop watch but his laser time was in the 4.38 range...
Here is a pic for ya
http://bp3.blogger.com/_SSc_7QR6bVs/ReOA...-h/132.jpg

This is the starting QB- Tyler Jones at summer weight lifting tourney.
Romans 14:11
It is written: " 'As surely as I live,' says the Lord, 'every knee will bow before me; every tongue will confess to God.' "
Mr.Kimball Wrote:Actually, Ryan Brown started his true freshman season on the defensive line at James Madison, The following year was his redshirt season when they won the national championship. He was moved to the offensive line his next season and was not comfortable at all playing there , so he transferred back home to Pikeville. In my opinion there has no body even close to being a Ryan Brown in this area, .................well, since Ryan Brown.

Yeah, I didn't mean for that to sound like he started the year they won it, but I guess it did. Had he not redshirted though he woulda got ALOT of PT and probably woulda been startin before the end of the year. And you're right, there hasn't been anyone close to a Ryan Brown from this area.
kyr450 Wrote:The 325lb bench could be possible, size really isnt a big as of a factor as most would think when it comes to bench pressing, alot of it has to do with technique, arm length, an tricep strength... I only weigh 160 an can bench 305... Doug Howard weighed in at aroun 180-185 his senior year, an I watched him with my own eyes bench press 415lbs, but he was something special, he hardly ever worked out, he can can go months with out lifting an walk in a gym an bench 395-400... Now about Dials 4.6 speed, it was probably taken by a coach with a stop watch... David Jones could run a 4.2 flat on a coaches stop watch but his laser time was in the 4.38 range...

I played with Doug at PC and never seen him bench over 330, which is still very good for a kid his size. And you're right, size doesn't mean anything, it kills me when people say that and act like it is. Size is OVERRATED...
Redneck Wrote:I played with Doug at PC and never seen him bench over 330, which is still very good for a kid his size. And you're right, size doesn't mean anything, it kills me when people say that and act like it is. Size is OVERRATED...

Trust me he can bench over 400lbs... I have seen him warm up with 315lbs... he does 330lbs for sets... Ask anyone who knows him...
kyr450 Wrote:Trust me he can bench over 400lbs... I have seen him warm up with 315lbs... he does 330lbs for sets... Ask anyone who knows him...

I don't doubt it, I just said I never seen him do it, then again we never maxed out in the time he was there.
DEVILOLOGIST Wrote:Here is a pic for ya
http://bp3.blogger.com/_SSc_7QR6bVs/ReOA...-h/132.jpg

This is the starting QB- Tyler Jones at summer weight lifting tourney.

That is a Jefferson Squat. It is a lot different than a regular deadlift. The Jefferson Squat allows your body to start perpendicular to the floor making it easier to keep a flat back and it enables you to get up more weight due to a person's center of mass being directly over the bar. A lot of people fail on the regular deadlift because they can't straighten their back at the peak of the rep because they have to lift more weight with their back when trying to stand tall and their center of mass moves in front of the actual weight needing to be lifted. I wasn't sure if the first plate on the bar was a 100 lb. cast iron or a 45 lb. bumper because they are similar in thickness. If it was a cast iron he got up 485 or if it was a bumper it was around 375, either way he made it look pretty easy because the veins in his head and neck haven't popped out yet...lol
Guys, none of the college scouts will recruit on the nonsense that has been discussed here. Scouts look for certain skills and work ethic. Dials meets those requirements. Case closed.

It appears from some comments that D1 players can come from only a few schools in the mountains, and that too is nonsense. Dials will be the first of many Johnson Central and Jim Matney coached D1 players.
Maydo is being recruited to play TE, as far as we know. I've been saying he'd be a good TE since he boomed up after his Freshman year (4" height and 50 lbs of muscle since then).

I watched Adam Dials tonight, and he IS good. UK good remains to be seen, but it wouldn't surprise me. NO ONE else runs through our D like that. He has power, moves, and speed. Like Doug Howard before him though, his biggest drawback is his size: he's awful small, and at that level a lineman can one arm you into the air.

I'll hold my voice on the JC players for a couple more weeks, for when I've actually seen them play.
Oh, one more thing: The amount you benchpress means diddly to anyone other than linemen. No one else should have their arms extended like that. Stiffarms come from the shoulders and upper arms, not the pectorals, it's a different style of movement.
I myself competed in power lifting,And the best Adam dials can do is "250" TOPS!! Peeps tell big lies about how much they bench!! lol
Let's be honest with ourselves, The only players that are "Backs" that are going to the next level, they will be defensive backs,,,just maybe..! Linemen on the other hand are balanced ,You guys know what i mean!!!
MonsterMan Wrote:Guys, none of the college scouts will recruit on the nonsense that has been discussed here. Scouts look for certain skills and work ethic. Dials meets those requirements. Case closed.

It appears from some comments that D1 players can come from only a few schools in the mountains, and that too is nonsense. Dials will be the first of many Johnson Central and Jim Matney coached D1 players.

Not saying he doesn't have the work ethic, many just think he's not major D1 talent that some are saying he is. If he goes D1 it will be in a mid-major like the MAC or Conference USA. He's not Auburn or UK material. Many athletes that were better than him from around EKY in the past never made it to D1. Chase Gibson was probably the best TE I've ever seen and he ended up going to Marshall but had numerous other offers. He had size, speed, could block well, run solid routes, and could catch anything thrown. If he wants to play LB, Blake Johnson and Michael Tackett were arguably the best LB tandem in the state of Kentucky last year and they went the NAIA route, and Dials is better than neither. Michael Tackett is getting a considerable amount of playing time after working hard in practice and stepping it up every game, making more and more plays. He will be starting before the season is over. Why not have Dials and JK look at Georgetown College or University of Cumberlands? They are competitive in every sport at the national level. Georgetown is an established National Power in football at the NAIA level and UC is on the rise. Several of their players each year end up going to NFL camps and try to make the final cut for a roster spot. A small school like that, that is rich in tradition would give him or JK a better chance of playing time and a better possibility in getting noticed if they are wanting to further their career. JC has talent, no one can deny that, but to say they are raising a whole field of D1 players is a little far fetched. Every now and then one may come along. Ryan Brown was the best high school player I played with and watched in EKY. He was big, probably 6'4 260 his Sr. year, strong as an ox, quick as a cat, and could run like a deer. He was so quick off the ball, when lined up over the center he beat the snap to the QB a lot of the time. On kickoff he was the first man down the field making the tackle. That's why he was D1 talent, it was because he shined more than any player on the field in all the game tapes that were sent to James Madison. He walked in and started as a true freshman. Had Guy Morriss not left for Baylor he was going to go to UK. During the Kentucky vs. Tennessee All-Star game that year, he whipped King Dunlap(current Auburn starting lineman) all over the field and lived in the backfield all night. He easily would've got defensive player of the game had Keenan Burton not been on the field with him and take an INT back for a TD to seal the victory. When watching Dials or Ratliff, they don't stand out that much compared to any one else. Sometimes Dials gets lost in the picture on D. JK throws the deep ball well, but has struggled with accuracy and the intermediate passing game. I wish him and JK all the luck in hoping that they sign on with a D1 team. A little food for thought though: There are 117 D1-FBS teams, over 220 schools in the state of Kentucky with football programs, and over 300,000 high school senior football players each year. Each school has a limited amount of scholarships and 22(24 if you want to count kickers and punters) positions to get players for. To catch on at one of those schools you had better be the cream of the crop or dang close to it across the nation. The speed and athleticism at the next level compared to high school is day and night. Everyone on every team was one of the best at their high school, no matter what level you play it at; D1, D2, D3 or NAIA. No one is doubting that they can't play, they are good high school players.
I see no eastern kentucky high school seniors good enough to play in the SEC... Dials is no way a 4.6 player.. Doug Howard was about a 4.6 and was wayy quicker than Dials, with alot more strength/power.. also, its true, David Jones was timed at UK running a 4.28.. He posted back to back 4.2's... first one was a 4.28 & the second was a 4.27
Sarrr Wrote:Maydo is being recruited to play TE, as far as we know. I've been saying he'd be a good TE since he boomed up after his Freshman year (4" height and 50 lbs of muscle since then).

I watched Adam Dials tonight, and he IS good. UK good remains to be seen, but it wouldn't surprise me. NO ONE else runs through our D like that. He has power, moves, and speed. Like Doug Howard before him though, his biggest drawback is his size: he's awful small, and at that level a lineman can one arm you into the air.

I'll hold my voice on the JC players for a couple more weeks, for when I've actually seen them play.

Dials is very slow... Was I the only person watch Ryan Preston run him down from behind, get n front of him an make the tackle??? An Ryan Preston is extremely slow...
MonsterMan Wrote:Guys, none of the college scouts will recruit on the nonsense that has been discussed here. Scouts look for certain skills and work ethic. Dials meets those requirements. Case closed.

Jesse Ray Peck (JC grad) signed with Marshall. Joey Stepp (SC grad, played for Matney) played at Marshall.
Dials won't go D-1, and if somehow he does, he won't be the first from JC or as a player of Matney.
Ryan Brown WOULD have signed with UK if Morris wouldn't have left.
As for the comment someone made earlier about Jesse Peck bein the last player from the mountains to sign D-1, don't forget about Jarrod Hostetter from Lawrence County who signed with Tennessee AND got some PT.
Ryan, John, and Timmy all 3 ran him down.
Um, David Jones has a full ride at UK.
GRIZZ Wrote:Not saying he doesn't have the work ethic, many just think he's not major D1 talent that some are saying he is. If he goes D1 it will be in a mid-major like the MAC or Conference USA. He's not Auburn or UK material. Many athletes that were better than him from around EKY in the past never made it to D1. Chase Gibson was probably the best TE I've ever seen and he ended up going to Marshall but had numerous other offers. He had size, speed, could block well, run solid routes, and could catch anything thrown. If he wants to play LB, Blake Johnson and Michael Tackett were arguably the best LB tandem in the state of Kentucky last year and they went the NAIA route, and Dials is better than neither. Michael Tackett is getting a considerable amount of playing time after working hard in practice and stepping it up every game, making more and more plays. He will be starting before the season is over. Why not have Dials and JK look at Georgetown College or University of Cumberlands? They are competitive in every sport at the national level. Georgetown is an established National Power in football at the NAIA level and UC is on the rise. Several of their players each year end up going to NFL camps and try to make the final cut for a roster spot. A small school like that, that is rich in tradition would give him or JK a better chance of playing time and a better possibility in getting noticed if they are wanting to further their career. JC has talent, no one can deny that, but to say they are raising a whole field of D1 players is a little far fetched. Every now and then one may come along. Ryan Brown was the best high school player I played with and watched in EKY. He was big, probably 6'4 260 his Sr. year, strong as an ox, quick as a cat, and could run like a deer. He was so quick off the ball, when lined up over the center he beat the snap to the QB a lot of the time. On kickoff he was the first man down the field making the tackle. That's why he was D1 talent, it was because he shined more than any player on the field in all the game tapes that were sent to James Madison. He walked in and started as a true freshman. Had Guy Morriss not left for Baylor he was going to go to UK. During the Kentucky vs. Tennessee All-Star game that year, he whipped King Dunlap(current Auburn starting lineman) all over the field and lived in the backfield all night. He easily would've got defensive player of the game had Keenan Burton not been on the field with him and take an INT back for a TD to seal the victory. When watching Dials or Ratliff, they don't stand out that much compared to any one else. Sometimes Dials gets lost in the picture on D. JK throws the deep ball well, but has struggled with accuracy and the intermediate passing game. I wish him and JK all the luck in hoping that they sign on with a D1 team. A little food for thought though: There are 117 D1-FBS teams, over 220 schools in the state of Kentucky with football programs, and over 300,000 high school senior football players each year. Each school has a limited amount of scholarships and 22(24 if you want to count kickers and punters) positions to get players for. To catch on at one of those schools you had better be the cream of the crop or dang close to it across the nation. The speed and athleticism at the next level compared to high school is day and night. Everyone on every team was one of the best at their high school, no matter what level you play it at; D1, D2, D3 or NAIA. No one is doubting that they can't play, they are good high school players.

I'll tell you why some of these kids will not sign with Cumberland or Georgetown is because they have been made to feel or in their own minds they feel that that is an inferior level of play. Eastern Kentuckians have this big fantasy that anyone that excels in this area is automaticly D1 caliber. What many fail to realize is that more than likely in reality they may not even be good enough to play at the NAIA level. There are some absolute beasts and studs that play at that level and most of the people that claim that this player or that player is D1 caliber dont even understand what NAIA caliber is, let alone D1.

Not only was Ryan Brown an exceptional football player he was also a very good student whom was hovering around 30 on his ACT score and was educated at one of the better high schools in the state of Kentucky and now has to work his tail off in the classroom while in college to see the light of day. What most fail to understand , is how much time is demanded out of a college student /athlete. Some of the players being mentioned as having quote "D1" talent better understand that unless they get things in the classroom taken care of first, then you can forget about ever seeing the field at any level. You better be just as dedicated to the books as you are to the weight room.

Yes, when you get to college you are required to know how to do a little more than just be able to sign your name. Unfortunately some of the players being made mention of in this thread as having great college futures struggle in that aspect . Say "hi" to some of them next year as you drive through McDonalds on saturday afternoons.
It's a shame people are posting such negative comments about some really good kids. How about some postives remarks.
GRIZZ Wrote:Not saying he doesn't have the work ethic, many just think he's not major D1 talent that some are saying he is. If he goes D1 it will be in a mid-major like the MAC or Conference USA. He's not Auburn or UK material. Many athletes that were better than him from around EKY in the past never made it to D1. Chase Gibson was probably the best TE I've ever seen and he ended up going to Marshall but had numerous other offers. He had size, speed, could block well, run solid routes, and could catch anything thrown. If he wants to play LB, Blake Johnson and Michael Tackett were arguably the best LB tandem in the state of Kentucky last year and they went the NAIA route, and Dials is better than neither. Michael Tackett is getting a considerable amount of playing time after working hard in practice and stepping it up every game, making more and more plays. He will be starting before the season is over. Why not have Dials and JK look at Georgetown College or University of Cumberlands? They are competitive in every sport at the national level. Georgetown is an established National Power in football at the NAIA level and UC is on the rise. Several of their players each year end up going to NFL camps and try to make the final cut for a roster spot. A small school like that, that is rich in tradition would give him or JK a better chance of playing time and a better possibility in getting noticed if they are wanting to further their career. JC has talent, no one can deny that, but to say they are raising a whole field of D1 players is a little far fetched. Every now and then one may come along. Ryan Brown was the best high school player I played with and watched in EKY. He was big, probably 6'4 260 his Sr. year, strong as an ox, quick as a cat, and could run like a deer. He was so quick off the ball, when lined up over the center he beat the snap to the QB a lot of the time. On kickoff he was the first man down the field making the tackle. That's why he was D1 talent, it was because he shined more than any player on the field in all the game tapes that were sent to James Madison. He walked in and started as a true freshman. Had Guy Morriss not left for Baylor he was going to go to UK. During the Kentucky vs. Tennessee All-Star game that year, he whipped King Dunlap(current Auburn starting lineman) all over the field and lived in the backfield all night. He easily would've got defensive player of the game had Keenan Burton not been on the field with him and take an INT back for a TD to seal the victory. When watching Dials or Ratliff, they don't stand out that much compared to any one else. Sometimes Dials gets lost in the picture on D. JK throws the deep ball well, but has struggled with accuracy and the intermediate passing game. I wish him and JK all the luck in hoping that they sign on with a D1 team. A little food for thought though: There are 117 D1-FBS teams, over 220 schools in the state of Kentucky with football programs, and over 300,000 high school senior football players each year. Each school has a limited amount of scholarships and 22(24 if you want to count kickers and punters) positions to get players for. To catch on at one of those schools you had better be the cream of the crop or dang close to it across the nation. The speed and athleticism at the next level compared to high school is day and night. Everyone on every team was one of the best at their high school, no matter what level you play it at; D1, D2, D3 or NAIA. No one is doubting that they can't play, they are good high school players.

Johnson Central is playing a schedule this year that is miles ahead of anyone in the mountians. It is easy for a kid to look good when he is not playing good competiton. Dials has played the top teams and players from two states and has dominated anyone he has lined up against. Just ask the college coaches who have watched him play. Alot of the kids mentioned earleir in this thread were good, but never faced the competion Dials has faced this year. Dials has played against D1 players in most games he has been in this year. I have heard scouts talk about him after several games, including KY, and have had nothing but positive comments to say for him.

I hope all his critics in this thread enjoy watching him play D1 football on Saturdays.
Michael Tackett may be the dest defensive player to ever play at Johnson Central other than probably Chris Deaton, and he is just now beginning to get playing time other than being on special teams at an NAIA school.
It's funny how people's buddy's get on here and hype em up to be ungodly. And you Mr.Kimball is right, most the people on here don't have a frickin clue to how big, strong and athletic NAIA football is. I played in the NAIA, I know how much different it is. All you JC fans who think Dials, Grimm and Ratliff are gonna go D-1, just ask one of the better defensive players to ever play at JC how much different it is at the NAIA level. Some of ya need to get out and watch some PC games when Cumberlands or Gtown come to town so you can actually see first hand. Some of you just watch high school football games on friday nights then sit around all day saturday watchin college ball on the tube and think that because there are boys out there the same size as Dials that he can play there too. Sorry, it don't work that way.
Mr.Kimball Wrote:I'll tell you why some of these kids will not sign with Cumberland or Georgetown is because they have been made to feel or in their own minds they feel that that is an inferior level of play. Eastern Kentuckians have this big fantasy that anyone that excels in this area is automaticly D1 caliber. What many fail to realize is that more than likely in reality they may not even be good enough to play at the NAIA level. There are some absolute beasts and studs that play at that level and most of the people that claim that this player or that player is D1 caliber dont even understand what NAIA caliber is, let alone D1.

Not only was Ryan Brown an exceptional football player he was also a very good student whom was hovering around 30 on his ACT score and was educated at one of the better high schools in the state of Kentucky and now has to work his tail off in the classroom while in college to see the light of day. What most fail to understand , is how much time is demanded out of a college student /athlete. Some of the players being mentioned as having quote "D1" talent better understand that unless they get things in the classroom taken care of first, then you can forget about ever seeing the field at any level. You better be just as dedicated to the books as you are to the weight room.

Yes, when you get to college you are required to know how to do a little more than just be able to sign your name. Unfortunately some of the players being made mention of in this thread as having great college futures struggle in that aspect . Say "hi" to some of them next year as you drive through McDonalds on saturday afternoons.

Great post Mr. Kimball. Like you said, there is so much more to being a college athlete than being able to catch TD's, make tackles, or make pancake blocks. It is MUCH more demanding than high school on the field and in the classroom. In college you are always told you need to study at least one hour for every hour you are taking a week to keep up. Then you mix in 5:30 am workouts, 7 am film study, 3 hours of practice, several hours of doing homework, not counting attending your classes. High school kids don't realize coming out the adjustment and the amount of discipline you must have towards all aspects of the college life. In college you don't have mommy and daddy staying on your back to tell you to do your work, no days off because its game day, professors don't care if you are a stud athlete, you get the grade you deserve. It takes a special breed to succeed at the next level.
I thought this thread asked if any college's had shown "interest" in any of the high school players and which college's, it did not clarify D-1,NAIA,D-2, or D-3, or the old 1-AA, just colleges! It also does not ask about past high school star's. Since this topic has been dominated by the great players of the past only a few player's are even mentioned and you are implying that they are not very intelligent, last time I checked JK Ratliff & Chase Richardson have 4.0 GPA's (not usually the kind of young men that make a career out of working at the local McDonalds drive thru).I find it amusing that some of you have a crystal ball to these young men's future's, I for one think that they can aspire to be what they want in life with hard work and good direction. Who care's at what level they play if they truly love the game. I hope every east Kentucky athlete has opportunities both athletically and academically for their futures.
Gator Wrote:I thought this thread asked if any college's had shown "interest" in any of the high school players and which college's, it did not clarify D-1,NAIA,D-2, or D-3, or the old 1-AA, just colleges! It also does not ask about past high school star's. Since this topic has been dominated by the great players of the past only a few player's are even mentioned and you are implying that they are not very intelligent, last time I checked JK Ratliff & Chase Richardson have 4.0 GPA's (not usually the kind of young men that make a career out of working at the local McDonalds drive thru).I find it amusing that some of you have a crystal ball to these young men's future's, I for one think that they can aspire to be what they want in life with hard work and good direction. Who care's at what level they play if they truly love the game. I hope every east Kentucky athlete has opportunities both athletically and academically for their futures.

Great post!