Poll: Who Wins
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Pikeville
51.35%
Corbin
48.65%
* You voted for this item.

•  Previous
  • 4(current)
  • Next 
Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 2.6 Average
Pikeville vs Corbin 2024
I don't think either team is scared to play the other. They are both great programs and sports towns with good tradition. Both loaded with talent. I may be wrong but I thought the KHSAA made some changes to the RPI where a team in a higher class isn't penalized for playing down for as many as 2-3 games per season. Somebody better informed on that may be able to confirm but point still stands that playing a tough game early and losing no matter the class could cost you a home playoff game. I think Corbin is taking a risk playing Pikeville at all. I feel a loss would hurt Corbin more than Pikeville because going on the road in 4A for Corbin is a bigger task than for Pikeville to do it in 1A and is likely to be the case this year for Pikeville with their difficult schedule. It looks like Campbellsville and Sayre could both go into the playoffs undefeated with their schedule meaning Pikeville could have to play one of them in the semifinals on the road unless the Panthers have a monster season. I still like to see the better teams play each other across the state and glad this game is happening. Edge to the Hounds so far from what I have seen in scrimmages but this will be a battle and Corbin will have to earn it. After Frederick Douglass, Pikeville may be the toughest test on their schedule.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Belichick's post:
  • jetpilot
(08-13-2024, 09:15 PM)Micro-Brew Wrote: So this is my main gripe with RPI, you guys even hammered it home. No purpose for a 4A team to take a chance on losing to a 1A team.
I could be wrong but I’m going to assume this is going to be a damn good game. The last time sure as hell was.
This is a game, from a football standpoint, that should happen most years unless Pikeville just gets to where they’re just not  competitive with Corbin. This is a great game for both programs, wouldn’t most agree? Helps both teams get better, wouldn’t most agree? Both teams travel well, so both schools benefit financially, wouldn’t most agree? A game between two great schools, two great towns, two powerhouse Eastern Ky programs. I wasn’t throwing shade, I was simply asking because I don’t know. Yeah I know it’s a bowl game but I for one would love to see this game happen every year with a home and home.
I’d also love to see Beechwood become a regular on the Pikeville schedule as a home and home.

I agree but a few things:

1) You say there is no purpose for a 4A team to take a chance on losing to a 1A team then make a great argument why Pikeville and Corbin should play.

2) Pikeville takes huge risks playing their killer schedule. So what's wrong with Corbin taking risks?

3) Most importantly, this from KSHAA site:

< So it is actually the Class A team playing a top 4A team that takes a bigger risk the first two games, especially on the road like they are doing vs. Corbin twice now. Pikeville could easily schedule bad 6A teams if they were only trying to maximize RPI.
[-] The following 2 users Like jetpilot's post:
  • Fanatic42, TD Hounds
(08-13-2024, 09:51 PM)jetpilot Wrote:
(08-13-2024, 09:15 PM)Micro-Brew Wrote: So this is my main gripe with RPI, you guys even hammered it home. No purpose for a 4A team to take a chance on losing to a 1A team.
I could be wrong but I’m going to assume this is going to be a damn good game. The last time sure as hell was.
This is a game, from a football standpoint, that should happen most years unless Pikeville just gets to where they’re just not  competitive with Corbin. This is a great game for both programs, wouldn’t most agree? Helps both teams get better, wouldn’t most agree? Both teams travel well, so both schools benefit financially, wouldn’t most agree? A game between two great schools, two great towns, two powerhouse Eastern Ky programs. I wasn’t throwing shade, I was simply asking because I don’t know. Yeah I know it’s a bowl game but I for one would love to see this game happen every year with a home and home.
I’d also love to see Beechwood become a regular on the Pikeville schedule as a home and home.

1) You say there is no purpose for a 4A team to take a chance on losing to a 1A team then make a great argument why Pikeville and Corbin should play.

2) Pikeville takes huge risks playing their killer schedule. So what's wrong with Corbin taking risks?

< So it is actually the Class A team playing a top 4A team that takes a bigger risk the first two games, especially on the road like they are doing vs. Corbin twice now. Pikeville could easily schedule bad 6A teams if they were only trying to maximize RPI.
I’m not gonna lie and say I fully understand all about the RPI and a lot of that is because it just seems like something a bureaucrat came up with to make something that should be simple a lot harder than it should be, about all they’re good for….That being said sometimes RPI can’t dictate the schedule win or lose both Corbin and Pikeville are gonna come away with positives from this game…Look forward to the game Pikeville is always a classy bunch and almost as passionate about football as the Hounds….
(08-13-2024, 10:19 PM)TD Hounds Wrote:

I’m not gonna lie and say I fully understand all about the RPI and a lot of that is because it just seems like something a bureaucrat came up with to make something that should be simple a lot harder than it should be, about all they’re good for….That being said sometimes RPI can’t dictate the schedule win or lose both Corbin and Pikeville are gonna come away with positives from this game…Look forward to the game Pikeville is always a classy bunch and almost as passionate about football as the Hounds….

haha love you TD Hounds but if you really believe the bolded that's another reason you need to get out of the friendly confines of Campbell Field and come to Pikeville... 
I wasn’t actually saying there’s no reason for a 4A to play a 1A, I was just quoting what another poster said. I was making a point that I hate that RPI is dictating why two good teams may or may not play.
It’s supposed to be about making your team better not just manipulating the system for the playoffs like teams like KCD do every year.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Micro-Brew's post:
  • jetpilot

This is what you said but I get your point 100%
Pikeville isn’t scheduled to play Corbin after this year. Starting next year, Pikeville will play a home-and-home with CAL in Week 1. Simply replacing one great program with another. CAL has become a juggernaut. Should be a great game for both programs.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Buffs19's post:
  • jetpilot
(08-13-2024, 10:30 PM)jetpilot Wrote:
(08-13-2024, 10:19 PM)TD Hounds Wrote:

I’m not gonna lie and say I fully understand all about the RPI and a lot of that is because it just seems like something a bureaucrat came up with to make something that should be simple a lot harder than it should be, about all they’re good for….That being said sometimes RPI can’t dictate the schedule win or lose both Corbin and are gonna come away with positives from this game…Look forward to the game Pikeville is always a classy bunch and almost as passionate about football as the Hounds….

haha love you TD Hounds but if you really believe the bolded that's another reason you need to get out of the friendly confines of Campbell Field and come to Pikeville... 
Big Grin All in good fun my friend, can’t let you have all of it….Seriously wishing you all a very safe trip over and back if there’s any directions or food recommendations I can help with just let me know, the only disappointment we want you to leave Corbin with is the outcome of the game….
[-] The following 1 user Likes TD Hounds's post:
  • jetpilot
Look, as a fan of both Corbin and Pikeville, I would take great joy in see the two great Mountain schools meet every year. I LOVE Corbin-Pikeville football games. For those who are extremely RPI-conscious, and want to play teams like Boyle County at home, rather than on the road, playing Pikeville carries the risk of sending you to Danville in November. Ideally, if you want to win the RPI game, you schedule a bunch of 5A and 6A teams that you are very confident you will beat but teams that are decent and will win their share of games and will, themselves, play competitive schedules against decent teams. This will benefit all three components of the RPI: WP, OWP, and OOWP.

Last season, scheduling Hazard cost Corbin a state title , imo. If they had played a North Laurel , Highlands, Simon Kenton type team instead of Hazard, they would have bested Boyle's RPI and the region title game would have been at Corbin. I love seeing Corbin -Pikeville but I'd love seeing a state championship trophy after 42 damn years, too. I'm excited for the game, and I think Corbin will win, but it carries more risk than playing North Laurel. A loss in the opener and at Douglass pretty much guarantees being on the road in round three.
My only point is:

Pikeville isn't dodging anyone for RPI and neither should anyone else. But we already know tons of teams do. Make the best schedule possible for your fanbase and if they see the big picture they will LOVE it.

Pikeville schedule:

Corbin - epic game, much bigger school, also potential RPI hit, on the road (again) no less
Johnson Central - see above but at home
LCA - epic, somewhat bigger school, private Lex school, potential RPI hit, on the road (again) no less
Raceland - potential RPI killer (like last year), on the road
Belfry, could have busted RPIs the last 40 years, perennial rival, 3A
As if that isn't enough added IRONTON OH, powerhouse, would have been ranked 18th overall in all classes in KY at the end of 2023 per calpreps, between DuPont Manual and Paducah Tilghman for context.

First 6 games!!! So sorry if I scoff at "we can't risk it" LOL.
Can't fit the ball$ of Pikeville coaches and AD making Pikeville's schedule in the back of a pickup truck.
[-] The following 2 users Like jetpilot's post:
  • Belichick, Micro-Brew
(08-13-2024, 11:43 PM)jetpilot Wrote: My only point is:

Pikeville isn't dodging anyone for RPI and neither should anyone else. But we already know tons of teams do. Make the best schedule possible for your fanbase and if they see the big picture they will LOVE it.

Pikeville schedule:

Corbin - epic game, much bigger school, also potential RPI hit, on the road (again) no less
LCA - epic, somewhat bigger school, private Lex school, potential RPI hit, on the road (again) no less
As if that isn't enough added IRONTON OH, powerhouse, would have been ranked 18th overall in all classes in KY at the end of 2023, between DuPont Manual and Paducah Tilghman for context.

Can't fit the ball$ of Pikeville coaches and AD making Pikeville's schedule in the back of a pickup truck.

Pikeville never dodges anyone. No doubt about it. They are champions for a reason !!!
[-] The following 2 users Like Old School Hound's post:
  • jetpilot, Micro-Brew
For the past 7-8 years, I keep thinking Pikeville will dial back on the schedule this year and every year I’ve been wrong. It has only gotten more difficult. In class A, they are the standard for a reason.
[-] The following 2 users Like Belichick's post:
  • jetpilot, Micro-Brew
Not sure what the total $ amount is for Pikeville coming to Corbin but I almost guarantee they won’t see another pay day like that all year. The pigskin, I believe, pays a ton more than a simple schedule regular season game.
OSH can correct me if I’m wrong, but I believe the varsity/booster clubs at Corbin handle the scheduling for this game. (I was told the HC doesn’t even have a say but that was back in the Jewell days) and if anyone has ever went to it, they know it cost quite a bit more to get in than a regular season game. Idk if that’s still the case but I remember the last time I went 15 years or so ago, it was like 10-12 bucks for a single ticket and all other games were like 5-6.

Corbin may not return the favor and head to Pikeville but I’ve seen them go back several times and play the teams they’ve had there unless they were some far away out of state teams.
(08-13-2024, 11:43 PM)jetpilot Wrote: My only point is:

Pikeville schedule:

As if that isn't enough added IRONTON OH, powerhouse, would have been ranked 18th overall in all classes in KY at the end of 2023 per calpreps, between DuPont Manual and Paducah Tilghman for context.

I've heard rumblings of a possible 2025 opponent just up the road from Pikeville
(08-14-2024, 12:55 AM)RunItUpTheGut Wrote: Not sure what the total $ amount is for Pikeville coming to Corbin but I almost guarantee they won’t see another pay day like that all year. The pigskin, I believe, pays a ton more than a simple schedule regular season game.
OSH can correct me if I’m wrong, but I believe the varsity/booster clubs at Corbin handle the scheduling for this game. (I was told the HC doesn’t even have a say but that was back in the Jewell days) and if anyone has ever went to it, they know it cost quite a bit more to get in than a regular season game. Idk if that’s still the case but I remember the last time I went 15 years or so ago, it was like 10-12 bucks for a single ticket and all other games were like 5-6.

Corbin may not return the favor and head to Pikeville but I’ve seen them go back several times and play the teams they’ve had there unless they were some far away out of state teams.

I don't think Pikeville schedules for the money. I guarantee Pike County Bowl generates a ton more money than the Corbin bowl games. Hope to see Corbin play Pikeville in the future. They will be favored going forward as a top 4A team should be playing a 1A team.
(08-14-2024, 12:55 AM)RunItUpTheGut Wrote: Not sure what the total $ amount is for Pikeville coming to Corbin but I almost guarantee they won’t see another pay day like that all year. The pigskin, I believe, pays a ton more than a simple schedule regular season game.

Yep, The Redhound Varsity Club organizes the event.
Pikeville at Corbin. Thoughts?
Corbin 28 Pikeville 20. Not many teams have the athletes to matchup with Pikeville outside but Corbin does and are just a little better out there this year. I don’t think Corbin will be able to run the ball consistently against Pikeville but they have a great QB and plenty of weapons for him to throw to. I think Pikeville’s secondary holds the key. If they play well and the Panthers get a turnover or two, that could open the door for a Pikeville win. I expect Pikeville to throw more this game out of necessity because Corbin will not allow Brenden Anthony to beat them. If they load the box, Pikeville can and will make them pay. Pikeville plays so many guys both ways, I think Corbin has more in the tank at the end. We have a good game on our hands.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Belichick's post:
  • Bull got out!
I'll take Corbin in a close one
Corbin should win this game 4A vs 1A but I need to win pick’em contest this year . So I’m picking my first upset of the year. Pikeville win Lol!!
[-] The following 3 users Like 64SUR's post:
  • Bull got out!, jetpilot, Patriot1
I hope Pikeville wins but they better be ready for some physical football because Corbin will drop the hammer on teams and Pikeville will lay some licks on too. Bull is this game going to be on line where I can watch it?
[-] The following 1 user Likes Patriot1's post:
  • Bull got out!
(08-18-2024, 03:01 PM)Patriot1 Wrote: I hope Pikeville wins but they better be ready for some physical football because Corbin will drop the hammer on teams and Pikeville will lay some licks on too. Bull is this game going to be on line where I can watch it?

It should be. T107.3 Rehound Sports is where all the games are on the radio or streamed. https://t1073.com/Sports.html
[-] The following 1 user Likes Bull got out!'s post:
  • Patriot1
(08-18-2024, 03:04 PM)Bull got out! Wrote:
(08-18-2024, 03:01 PM)Patriot1 Wrote: I hope Pikeville wins but they better be ready for some physical football because Corbin will drop the hammer on teams and Pikeville will lay some licks on too. Bull is this game going to be on line where I can watch it?

It should be. T107.3 Rehound Sports is where all the games are on the radio or streamed. https://t1073.com/Sports.html
Thanks Bull
[-] The following 1 user Likes Patriot1's post:
  • Bull got out!
Corbin by 3 TDs
Pikeville by no more than a field goal in a very physical hard fought game but it won’t surprise me to see Corbin win either and the more I think about it Corbin has to be at least a 7-10 favorite since the game is at Corbin, I expect 2-3 crucial calls by the officials to determine the outcome!?
(08-18-2024, 04:18 PM)Medusa Wrote: Corbin by 3 TDs

Please bring a huge sack of money to the game.
[-] The following 1 user Likes jetpilot's post:
  • The 99
Pikeville keeps it respectable, but Corbin proves to be too much in the second half.

Pulling for the Panthers, but I think the Hounds win, 35-20.
Corbin will get this one.  They are not bothered by the great tradition of Pikeville even considering they over 40 years from the big trophy, although their region runner up trophy might be bigger than their last championship trophy (in size anyway, and Corbin will tell you size doesn’t matter) In any event Corbin wins by a Touchdown.

Also you can hurdle at the Pigskin
(08-18-2024, 08:47 PM)BlackcatAlum Wrote: Pikeville keeps it respectable, but Corbin proves to be too much in the second half.

Pulling for the Panthers, but I think the Hounds win, 35-20.

Dang BA, since when is "keeps it respectable" even in the Pikeville vocabulary lol. Your lack of faith disappoints me, but on the bright side Pikeville +15 means you can be my new bookie
  •  Previous
  • 4(current)
  • Next