•  Previous
  • 19(current)
  • Next 
  Thread Closed
Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Prestonsburg Open
(02-19-2024, 11:04 PM)Ring'Em Up Wrote:
(02-19-2024, 10:23 PM)Rainmaker33 Wrote: If they hire the middle school coach from Inez
That would be a f*ing Pburg Classic.
Shawn Hager’s son?
(02-19-2024, 11:16 PM)pirateforlife Wrote:
(02-19-2024, 10:23 PM)Rainmaker33 Wrote: If they hire the middle school coach from Inez
Shawn Hager’s son?
Yes. Would be insane. If he’s the hire they should’ve just hired Newsome.
Thats,,,, what what?... Surely not
Wesley Hager was offered the job but did not take it. He wants to be in martin county
(02-20-2024, 12:11 AM)HollyWood24 Wrote: Wesley Hager was offered the job but did not take it. He wants to be in martin county
If I was him I’d say offer me what you offered Sullivan. Obviously doesn’t have the same resume but I’d ask for it

Tongue.   Big Grin.   Tongue
So let me get this straight.  According to posts on this thread, a former D1 college coach and potential future NFL coach is not only interested in the job but has applied for it, and today, the powers that be at Pburg offered the position to a middle school coach at a mediocre program????  The funniest part of all this is that the middle school coach turned it down.  I can't stop laughing.
You guys have to be messing with people at this point.

If this is true, PBurg needs to fold athletics.
[-] The following 2 users Like RTruth's post:
  • BlackcatAlum, Westside
Hager was interviewed last week. Not sure if he was offered or not.
I really hope this isn’t true. If it is, I’m not sure which would be more suitable… laughing or crying.
[-] The following 2 users Like BlackcatAlum's post:
  • Blacksmith, Westside
Ive been shaking my head since i read it...  You know the funniest part? I would not be that surprised if they did...Is Henry Webb doing the hiring again?  :D
Jesus…SMDH
Notre Dame Football…GO IRISH
If this many people have said no why is Newsome just not offered the job? He seems the only one who really wants it. But to hire Brewer’s right hand man would look kinda silly.
(02-20-2024, 01:39 AM)pirateforlife Wrote: If this many people have said no why is Newsome just not offered the job? He seems the only one who really wants it. But to hire Brewer’s right hand man would look kinda silly.
Hiring Newsome on the outside looks like a lateral move, but I wouldn’t be mad about it. I know him and I know he’s smart, young, a great person, and he’s a Blackcat. I mean ask any coach that knows him and they’ll say nothing but positive things. 

Last I was told though they interviewed a coach today and were in contact with another at Boyle. I’m just waiting to hear whether the Hager rumor is true or not. I know he was interviewed.
(02-20-2024, 01:44 AM)BlackcatAlum Wrote:
(02-20-2024, 01:39 AM)pirateforlife Wrote: If this many people have said no why is Newsome just not offered the job? He seems the only one who really wants it. But to hire Brewer’s right hand man would look kinda silly.
Hiring Newsome on the outside looks like a lateral move, but I wouldn’t be mad about it. I know him and I know he’s smart, young, a great person, and he’s a Blackcat. I mean ask any coach that knows him and they’ll say nothing but positive things. 

Last I was told though they interviewed a coach today and were in contact with another at Boyle. I’m just waiting to hear whether the Hager rumor is true or not. I know he was interviewed.
Who in the world would move from coaching at Boyle to coach at Pburg? Unless they are from the area and want to move back home
I really hope this isn’t true......
Good lord…

As a blackcat faithful, this thread has not been good for my mental health. What a crap sandwich this process has been!

At what point should we concede that the only people in Pburg who actually want to win at football are on the outside looking in?

BOE doesn’t seem to care, school administrators don’t seem to care, most of the town doesn’t really seem to care, even.

Just apathy all around.

But I guess that’s a sign of the times.

Let’s just give those poor blackcat kids a coach that will give them participation trophies and not push them past what they’re comfortable with.

Keep Appalachia down with apathy.
I'm hearing they will be interviewing a couple of assistant coaches this week, one being from Belfry and the other from Boyle. I'm not seeing the Boyle connection to anyone in Prestonsburg, but anyone coaching at Boyle under Haddix would be a great hire for Prestonsburg. I'm hearing a coach could be named possibly by the end of the week.
I can’t believe it’s almost March and there hasn’t been a coach named.

I guess their search committee is really dotting their t’s and crossing their i’s in this hire.
(02-20-2024, 10:05 AM)Blackcat 4 Life Wrote: I'm hearing they will be interviewing a couple of assistant coaches this week, one being from Belfry and the other from Boyle. I'm not seeing the Boyle connection to anyone in Prestonsburg, but anyone coaching at Boyle under Haddix would be a great hire for Prestonsburg. I'm hearing a coach could be named possibly by the end of the week.
Belfry assistant interviewed yesterday
(02-20-2024, 10:05 AM)Blackcat 4 Life Wrote: I'm hearing they will be interviewing a couple of assistant coaches this week, one being from Belfry and the other from Boyle. I'm not seeing the Boyle connection to anyone in Prestonsburg, but anyone coaching at Boyle under Haddix would be a great hire for Prestonsburg. I'm hearing a coach could be named possibly by the end of the week.

We've heard this one before  Big Grin
So let me get this straight.

College/NFL coach
GRC assistant
Pikeville assistant
Middle school coach
Boyle assistant coach
Belfry assistant coach

That progression doesn’t make sense at all. 0 sense.
(02-20-2024, 10:28 AM)RTruth Wrote: So let me get this straight.

College/NFL coach
GRC assistant
Pikeville assistant
Middle school coach
Boyle assistant coach
Belfry assistant coach

That progression doesn’t make sense at all. 0 sense.

Nick Saban's former DB graduate assistant's 3rd cousin's mamaw is next in line!

He's coming PBurg!
[-] The following 1 user Likes Roncris8's post:
  • waughdaddy59
Need to get Netflix in on this for a documentary
[-] The following 1 user Likes BlackcatAlum's post:
  • Colonel4Life1999
(02-17-2024, 08:32 PM)BlackcatAlum Wrote: Hire someone who wants to be at Prestonsburg. Don’t hire someone you have to convince.
There’s two coaches right now that would accept the job that I know of, Derek Newsome and Harlee Estepp (Ashland assistant).

Both are young, offensive minded, but neither have been given the light of day by our administration or council. I think they both deserve a fair shot to lay out their plan for this program with an interview. If the powers that be don’t like what they have to say then don’t hire them. But give the ones that want the job a fair shake.
[-] The following 1 user Likes BlackcatAlum's post:
  • BlackcatPride32
Just heard that the Admins were watching the McCarthy situation closely, but if push came to shove they had Danny O'Shea on stand by. Word is Kevin O'Shea was not financially attainable.
(02-20-2024, 11:43 AM)BlackcatAlum Wrote:
(02-17-2024, 08:32 PM)BlackcatAlum Wrote: Hire someone who wants to be at Prestonsburg. Don’t hire someone you have to convince.
There’s two coaches right now that would accept the job that I know of, Derek Newsome and Harlee Estepp (Ashland assistant).

Both are young, offensive minded, but neither have been given the light of day by our administration or council. I think they both deserve a fair shot to lay out their plan for this program with an interview. If the powers that be don’t like what they have to say then don’t hire them. But give the ones that want the job a fair shake.
Newsome seems like a good guy, but you can't hire Brewers right hand man, who was responsible for the play calling and offensive scheme. This hire would clear out the feeder programs, and more kids than you think at the high school level would transfer. Maybe later on down the road, but the timing isn't right for Newsome. I'm not familiar with Estepp, so I can't comment on him. I get it, a coach needs to be hired, and the sooner the better, but Prestonsburg is at a point to where you have to trust the process and not hire out of desperation and get it wrong. In the last hour I have heard Nick Mills from Boyle County is wanting to be a head coach, but it's yet to be seen if he wants the Prestonsburg job. I'm not familiar with him either but I heard he comes highly recommended from Coach Haddix. I also learned that one of Coach Haddix's best friends lives in Prestonsburg. I hope for the sake of the kids at the high school that something is put into place by this week. Hail Blackcats!
[-] The following 2 users Like Blackcat 4 Life's post:
  • BlackcatAlum, BlackcatPride32
(02-20-2024, 12:09 PM)Blackcat 4 Life Wrote:
(02-20-2024, 11:43 AM)BlackcatAlum Wrote:

Newsome seems like a good guy, but you can't hire Brewers right hand man, who was responsible for the play calling and offensive scheme. This hire would clear out the feeder programs, and more kids than you think at the high school level would transfer. Maybe later on down the road, but the timing isn't right for Newsome. I'm not familiar with Estepp, so I can't comment on him. I get it, a coach needs to be hired, and the sooner the better, but Prestonsburg is at a point to where you have to trust the process and not hire out of desperation and get it wrong. In the last hour I have heard Nick Mills from Boyle County is wanting to be a head coach, but it's yet to be seen if he wants the Prestonsburg job. I'm not familiar with him either but I heard he comes highly recommended from Coach Haddix. I also learned that one of Coach Haddix's best friends lives in Prestonsburg. I hope for the sake of the kids at the high school that something is put into place by this week. Hail Blackcats!
I agree with a lot of what you’re saying. I’m just lobbying for them to get a fair shake.

If Nick Mills wants the job though and was recommended by Haddix then yeah, that’s a no brainer hire, in my opinion. I just had heard he could possibly be the next DC at Boyle.

One of Haddix former Breathitt teammates has a kid in 5th or 6th grade one in Prestonsburg.
Who’s the Belfry assistant?
  •  Previous
  • 19(current)
  • Next