• Next 
  Thread Closed
Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Prestonsburg Open
(02-10-2024, 11:07 PM)Ring'Em Up Wrote: This is awesome
I knew you would enjoy this outcome. 

I need a good Jet post now so I can start on this crow
(02-10-2024, 10:48 PM)Red and Black Wrote: My prediction (completely just my opinion with no inside scoop whatsoever) is that they’ll offer it to Newsome now that Sullivan said no. I think Newsome has been the safe, fallback pick through this whole process.

He will do OK, but it’ll be a lot of the same thing we’ve had for the last 6 years.

I hate it for those kids. They have a talented team coming back next year that will struggle.

I imagine you’ll see some of those players leave in the next couple of years.
Is this someone that's been a part of the lackluster Brewer campaign?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
(02-10-2024, 11:14 PM)Belichick Wrote:
(02-10-2024, 09:06 PM)BlackcatAlum Wrote:
(02-10-2024, 07:58 PM)Belichick Wrote:
(02-10-2024, 05:25 PM)BlackcatAlum Wrote:
(02-10-2024, 04:33 PM)Belichick Wrote: Pikeville still did well against Paintsville during their “run” with Chirico. They wouldn’t have that last ring had Pikeville not laid a major egg in the playoffs against a Hazard team they bludgeoned on their home field earlier that year. He got out of there at a good time. He saw the train on the tracks. Pburg isn’t winning a title anytime soon and maybe ever. I think Sullivan is a fantastic coach and those Pikeville players like to play for him but it will take more than him.  It takes good players who work hard year in and year out. Programs don’t happen overnight.  Years.  They could get the best players in Floyd County and not be able to compete with the top of 2A currently. That’s what he would be facing. Don’t forget the other juggernaut down the road Johnson Central. They have a new school and facilities on the way that will likely be fantastic. They are going to get some players. It comes down to money or what his future is at Pikeville. He is going to do what is best for his family and he should. Don’t get it twisted.
Nothing is twisted. 

It would take a VERY special team to win state currently in 2A. That’s why Pikeville has no interest in ever moving up.
Ok. But you want their coach because they’re scared to move up? Have you looked at Pikeville’s schedule and who they play? Look at next year’s schedule or the last several years. Pikeville beat Beechwood for a title in 2015 and save a Jackson Hensley injury in the title game would have beat them again the next time they faced off. Play LCA yearly and waxed them 2 years ago. By the way, the 1A teams they play would smoke Prestonsburg especially Campbellsville and Raceland from last year. Heck, Middlesboro would have embarrassed them. I was being nice with twisted. I think it’s a mistake for him to go there. Maybe another situation but that’s not it. I have no inside info but I presume he’s next in line for head coach at Pikeville and he would want to go there??? If he does, it’s the money.
I never said they were scared to move up. I know Pikeville can compete in 2A, but it’s MUCH tougher competition. Pikeville is rarely touched in 1A. You know it. Credit their staff, admin, players, etc. They have it going on, like I’ve said time and time again. 

Prestonsburg wants Sullivan because they want to bring in someone from that culture in hopes they can restore what’s been lost. Just like when Pikeville rehired McNamee and just like when Paintsville hired Chirico.

I get many Pikeville folks (not all) want to look down on us poor Prestonsburg folks and our pitiful school and football program, but Pikeville was at a low just 12-13 years ago. Went through 3 coaches and got waxed by Prestonsburg a few times. But it’s twisted to believe that maybe Prestonsburg can be restored back to its winning ways? Please.
No, I think they can be and should be better but there was a ton of misinformation here. It was a great offer. And people who say it wasn’t about money don’t know the offer and how money is funneled to get who you want. I think he wanted to stay at Pikeville all along and wants to be the coach there someday. He wanted his kids to be there. My guess is some clarity came along.
You’re 100% right
[-] The following 1 user Likes BlackcatAlum's post:
  • papabear02
(02-10-2024, 11:18 PM)BlackcatAlum Wrote:

I think we all need some of that crow.  I thought for sure he would take it.

(02-10-2024, 11:19 PM)Ring'Em Up Wrote:
(02-10-2024, 10:48 PM)Red and Black Wrote: My prediction (completely just my opinion with no inside scoop whatsoever) is that they’ll offer it to Newsome now that Sullivan said no. I think Newsome has been the safe, fallback pick through this whole process.

He will do OK, but it’ll be a lot of the same thing we’ve had for the last 6 years.

I hate it for those kids. They have a talented team coming back next year that will struggle.

Yes. He was Brewer’s OC
[-] The following 1 user Likes papabear02's post:
  • BlackcatAlum
I personally would have been surprised had Sully left Pikeville, he bleeds Marron and knows he's a few years from being the head coach of the Panthers.

Having said that, I would love to see the Blackcats hire a coach that can return them to the level they have been in the past because mountain football is undoubtedly better with a good Pburg and Sully would have done that imo.
[-] The following 2 users Like Humpty Dumpty's post:
  • BlackcatAlum, Blacksmith
Take a chance on a young hire.

Newsome would be a good one. May be another good young applicant too- don’t know. Young guy from outside?
(02-10-2024, 11:20 PM)papabear02 Wrote:
(02-10-2024, 11:18 PM)BlackcatAlum Wrote:

I think we all need some of that crow.  I thought for sure he would take it.

(02-10-2024, 11:19 PM)Ring'Em Up Wrote:

Yes. He was Brewer’s OC
Sounds like something Prestonsburg would do.

That would be a close second to, say, Jet helping convince the U.S. to elect Obama's next in line.

Brewer-Newsome.  Obama-Biden.  All the same.
Smile
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
(02-10-2024, 10:27 PM)BlackcatAlum Wrote:
(02-10-2024, 10:05 PM)pirateforlife Wrote:
(02-10-2024, 10:01 PM)BlackcatAlum Wrote: Yes, I can confirm he has turned the Prestonsburg offer down.

This thread shall continue…
So what was the real offer he had on the table? Hard decision for him but don’t think he could make a wrong one. No knowledge but assume he knows Mcnamee will be gone by the time his kids are in high school and could be Pikeville’s HC by then. Anyone know how old his kids are? I’m sure they already had friends and relationships they didn’t want to leave and that played a big factor
Prestonsburg offered him everything they had. He visited and interviewed Wednesday. Told Pburg he would give them an answer in a few days. Here we are. 

Family comes first though. Can’t blame him. Pikeville is great also. They have a fine man running that defense.

I honestly don’t know what’s next. I’m gonna assume they’re going to conduct interviews now and make some more calls to see who might be interested. Maybe even make a call to Jarrell?

Hate it for our boys, hopefully the right decision is made.
The first bolded text, I mentioned that a day or two ago that it was all about his kids and what is best for them. 

Second bolded text. I appreciate it, I’m flattered, but I don’t have the time to be a full time coach. 

I also hate it for your kids. I was hoping y’all would land Sullivan.
Notre Dame Football…GO IRISH
[-] The following 1 user Likes Redneck's post:
  • BlackcatAlum
(02-10-2024, 10:01 PM)BlackcatAlum Wrote: Yes, I can confirm he has turned the Prestonsburg offer down.

So what was the real offer he had on the table? Hard decision for him but don’t think he could make a wrong one. No knowledge but assume he knows Mcnamee will be gone by the time his kids are in high school and could be Pikeville’s HC by then. Anyone know how old his kids are? I’m sure they already had friends and relationships they didn’t want to leave and that played a big factor
Prestonsburg offered him everything they had. He visited and interviewed Wednesday. Told Pburg he would give them an answer in a few days. Here we are. 

Family comes first though. Can’t blame him. Pikeville is great also. They have a fine man running that defense.

I honestly don’t know what’s next. I’m gonna assume they’re going to conduct interviews now and make some more calls to see who might be interested. Maybe even make a call to Jarrell?

What did Pburg offer though? AD? Administration role?
(02-10-2024, 11:37 PM)pirateforlife Wrote:

I would say Dean of students, AD and head coach.  

equal about $80k-$85k/year or more.  I don’t think he had the qualifications for administrator though.  So they may have offered him something they couldn’t back up
  • BlackcatAlum
(02-10-2024, 11:37 PM)Redneck Wrote:

The first bolded text, I mentioned that a day or two ago that it was all about his kids and what is best for them. 

Second bolded text. I appreciate it, I’m flattered, but I don’t have the time to be a full time coach. 

I also hate it for your kids. I was hoping y’all would land Sullivan.
Nice lol
(02-10-2024, 11:37 PM)pirateforlife Wrote:

I’m assuming all of the above
  • papabear02
(02-10-2024, 11:13 PM)papabear02 Wrote:

Welp, where do we go from here?  

I do think players will start leaving now, I know a few were waiting on the Sullivan decision.  

I know they better make a decision and I heard from a few people from Pburg that Kevin Woods was making a push to get that job.  Like I said before, he would be a great hire in my opinion but I do believe they would go with Newsome but get the same results.  

this is a total mess, who cares who it is now…get someone in there.  Hell call the national guard, call someone.
Do you really believe that? He is Coach Derosett’s right hand man. Do you think he would leave Coach D to be the coach at Pburg? I know that’s his Alma Mater and all, but I just can’t see him leaving DeRossett.
He was offered 2K increase in salary and a 10K non guaranteed stipend from a booster/ parent. But he would have had to worked an extra 30 days with the dean of students title. With the extra time and cost to commute from Pikeville to Pburg not really a big increase.
(02-10-2024, 11:53 PM)Redneck Wrote:
(02-10-2024, 11:13 PM)papabear02 Wrote:

Welp, where do we go from here?  

I do think players will start leaving now, I know a few were waiting on the Sullivan decision.  

I know they better make a decision and I heard from a few people from Pburg that Kevin Woods was making a push to get that job.  Like I said before, he would be a great hire in my opinion but I do believe they would go with Newsome but get the same results.  

this is a total mess, who cares who it is now…get someone in there.  Hell call the national guard, call someone.
Do you really believe that? He is Coach Derosett’s right hand man. Do you think he would leave Coach D to be the coach at Pburg? I know that’s his Alma Mater and all, but I just can’t see him leaving DeRossett.
I do, I have some friends in Prestonsburg that confirmed this. I believe he has enough experience to lead the Blackcats. Yea, I do believe he graduated from there, played for DeRossett and has coached with him for a number of years.  U.S. folk here in Magoffin Co like him and would hate to see him go, but he does have the support from Pburg faithful from what I hear.  

not sure who else is on the radar though but at this point it would take an alumni coach to understand the tradition and expectations. 

Not sure there would be anyone else willing to do so.
(02-10-2024, 07:14 PM)BlackcatAlum Wrote:
(02-10-2024, 06:16 PM)jetpilot Wrote:
(02-10-2024, 05:25 PM)BlackcatAlum Wrote:
(02-10-2024, 04:33 PM)Belichick Wrote: Pikeville still did well against Paintsville during their “run” with Chirico. They wouldn’t have that last ring had Pikeville not laid a major egg in the playoffs against a Hazard team they bludgeoned on their home field earlier that year. He got out of there at a good time. He saw the train on the tracks. Pburg isn’t winning a title anytime soon and maybe ever. I think Sullivan is a fantastic coach and those Pikeville players like to play for him but it will take more than him.  It takes good players who work hard year in and year out. Programs don’t happen overnight.  Years.  They could get the best players in Floyd County and not be able to compete with the top of 2A currently. That’s what he would be facing. Don’t forget the other juggernaut down the road Johnson Central. They have a new school and facilities on the way that will likely be fantastic. They are going to get some players. It comes down to money or what his future is at Pikeville. He is going to do what is best for his family and he should. Don’t get it twisted.
Nothing is twisted. 

It would take a VERY special team to win state currently in 2A. That’s why Pikeville has no interest in ever moving up.
Please. Total red herring. Pikeville is selfish because they have one of the top coaching staffs in the state and they are dodging a Class they aren’t in or supposed to be in won’t fly. Doesn’t even pass the smell test. I get it this hire is huge but no…
Pikeville has every right to be selfish in wanting to keep their staff intact. I’d feel the same way.

It’s Sullivan’s time. He can’t wait around forever, especially when there will be others who will want that job when Mac is ready to hang it up.

I respect you, Jet. I respect Pikeville and always will. Pikeville will forever be fine as long as they’re in class A with or without Sullivan.
Your respect is returned 20x. Obvious to me you are very smart and love your program. Just a very tough sell you were trying to make. I’m all for Prestonsburg being great again, just not at the expense of Pikeville. I know you would do the same if the shoe were on the other foot. 

Every football fan in KY and beyond knows mountain football is much better when Prestonsburg is great. It can still happen and isn’t dependent on one guy.
[-] The following 1 user Likes jetpilot's post:
  • BlackcatAlum
And now back to troll mode. Everybody in EKy better pray Pikeville never is 2A or there will be 1st half running clocks out the ass
[-] The following 1 user Likes jetpilot's post:
  • Fanatic42
(02-11-2024, 01:29 AM)jetpilot Wrote: And now back to troll mode. Everybody in EKy better pray Pikeville never is 2A or there will be 1st half running clocks out the ass
No mercy lol
  • jetpilot
This will sound crazy to some but a name Pburg should really take a look at now that Sullivan said no is David Jones. Don’t even know if he’d leave Mingo but you have to make a call. He’d get kids to want to play for Pburg and he has shown he can coach by what he done at Phelps. I think he’d be better than the other names mentioned on here.
[-] The following 1 user Likes pirateforlife's post:
  • Fanatic42
(02-11-2024, 02:12 AM)pirateforlife Wrote: This will sound crazy to some but a name Pburg should really take a look at now that Sullivan said no is David Jones. Don’t even know if he’d leave Mingo but you have to make a call. He’d get kids to want to play for Pburg and he has shown he can coach by what he done at Phelps. I think he’d be better than the other names mentioned on here.
I don’t think he would leave Mingo. He’s building something good there IMO. Belfry’s Ryan Chapman name comes back to mind for me. Idk if he applied this time. It’s crazy that none of the Pburg faithful have answered that question that most of us have asked. Maybe it has been kept quiet. Who all has officially applied?
(02-11-2024, 01:29 AM)jetpilot Wrote: And now back to troll mode. Everybody in EKy better pray Pikeville never is 2A or there will be 1st half running clocks out the ass
Idk if everyone would be upset hahaha 

all seriousness though I don’t want Pikeville to leave 1A. They are the gold standard and 1A needs them. 

I also hope P-burg finds a qualified candidate to be the head coach. Some have mentioned that Chirico to Paintsville was the perfect hire at the perfect time; so it can be done. Also, for all y’all saying Pikeville would have beat them in 2020, come catch me outside. All in good fun, friends!
[-] The following 1 user Likes 2000PHS's post:
  • jetpilot
I wonder if anyone sent the helmets off for reconditioning yet.
  • BlackcatAlum
I don’t know where we go from here! Why would you get rid of Brewer and turn around and hire Newsome? Woods has no shot, and Letton isn’t moving back, especially after being put on the back burner for Sullivan. Worrisome times in the Burg!
So I’m going to say it. Like it or not. Agree with it or not..

Everyone on here says “mountain football is always better when Prestonsburg is winning and great”. Well guess what, you fired a coach that WON…and competed with every team…when you fired him in 2017 he was district coach of the year, won the district title, and had the 2A player of the year…so don’t run that crap about we want to win and be competitive, because everytime you get a winning coach, you run them off…Seems to me Prestonsburg fans want the championships but with a unicorn system. They don’t want a tough coach, they don’t want an offseason, they just want to show up and win. Well guess what, that doesn’t happen.

Now, there’s people on here that are saying they should reach out to this coach and that coach since Sullivan turned it down. Think about it, those coaches you mentioned will probably laugh in Ricky’s face. Now since you offered the world to Sullivan, now you come to us for second best option…sorry BGR it doesn’t work that way.

You have too many hands in the pot at Prestonsburg that are trying to control things that have no idea what the heck they are doing. There’s two parents down there that want their boy at QB and think they can just show up and start… and I bet my paycheck those two players never step foot on campus in the offseason.

Get over yourselves Prestonsburg you had a winning coach in 2017 and you let parents and a useless principal fire him.
If the hire ends up being someone from Brewers staff that will be hilarious. Fire Brewer to only hire his right hand man. Wasn’t Jordan Ray option 1 and when he quickly turned it down they put all their chips in Sullivan and now he has turned it down? Now Pburg is caught with their pants down it seems
[-] The following 1 user Likes pirateforlife's post:
  • papabear02
(02-11-2024, 12:33 PM)pirateforlife Wrote: If the hire ends up being someone from Brewers staff that will be hilarious. Fire Brewer to only hire his right hand man. Wasn’t Jordan Ray option 1 and when he quickly turned it down they put all their chips in Sullivan and now he has turned it down? Now Pburg is caught with their pants down it seems
Yea you’re right. I think Sullivan realized the situation was way worse that what people were perceiving. 

you hire Brewers OC, you hire Brewer back because that’s the system he knows and ran 

they need to make a hire because it’s getting deep in the offseason and there’s no structure and it’s going to be chaos the longer they wait.

(02-11-2024, 12:15 PM)Blackcat 4 Life Wrote: I don’t know where we go from here! Why would you get rid of Brewer and turn around and hire Newsome? Woods has no shot, and Letton isn’t moving back, especially after being put on the back burner for Sullivan. Worrisome times in the Burg!
I would think he would. Why don’t you think so? He’s been great at Magoffin. From what I’ve witnessed, he knows his stuff.
So what’s the word on this job?
Pburg would really want Kevin Woods? Wasn’t Woods the straw that broke the camels back with John Derrosset? The way I understood it was people were really mad with James and Kevin. But maybe I’m wrong. Now I’m not saying they did anything wrong or wouldn’t do a great job. I thought John did an amazing job at Pburg and the assistants were all bought in. I’m just pointing out the situation they’re in. Feels like hiring Woods would be like the community saying they were wrong by firing John.
(02-11-2024, 12:44 PM)papabear02 Wrote:
(02-11-2024, 12:33 PM)pirateforlife Wrote: If the hire ends up being someone from Brewers staff that will be hilarious. Fire Brewer to only hire his right hand man. Wasn’t Jordan Ray option 1 and when he quickly turned it down they put all their chips in Sullivan and now he has turned it down? Now Pburg is caught with their pants down it seems
Yea you’re right. I think Sullivan realized the situation was way worse that what people were perceiving. 

you hire Brewers OC, you hire Brewer back because that’s the system he knows and ran 

they need to make a hire because it’s getting deep in the offseason and there’s no structure and it’s going to be chaos the longer they wait.

(02-11-2024, 12:15 PM)Blackcat 4 Life Wrote: I don’t know where we go from here! Why would you get rid of Brewer and turn around and hire Newsome? Woods has no shot, and Letton isn’t moving back, especially after being put on the back burner for Sullivan. Worrisome times in the Burg!
I would think he would. Why don’t you think so? He’s been great at Magoffin. From what I’ve witnessed, he knows his stuff.
Too many burnt bridges while he was at Prestonsburg as the Middle school coach. I don’t have an issue with Woods, but a lot of people do.
(02-11-2024, 01:29 PM)Blackcat 4 Life Wrote:
(02-11-2024, 12:44 PM)papabear02 Wrote:

Too many burnt bridges while he was at Prestonsburg as the Middle school coach. I don’t have an issue with Woods, but a lot of people do.
If the town had a vote on who the next HC would be who do you think would win? Obviously realistic people who they could land.
2K increase and maybe/not maybe 10k if the booster's son starts QB, is considered "everything they had."

That place must be broke as f..........
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  •  Previous
  • 14(current)
  • Next