• 11(current)
  • Next 
  Thread Closed
Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Prestonsburg Open
(02-07-2024, 10:24 AM)Blackcat 4 Life Wrote:
(02-06-2024, 07:37 PM)Rainmaker33 Wrote: He said no
Actually, I am hearing he has a interview today. We should know something regarding Sullivan by the end of the week. If he turns the job down, I don't know where we go from here.

Didn't one of you all say this last week too?
(02-07-2024, 11:40 AM)Colonel4Life1999 Wrote:
Actually, I am hearing he has a interview today. We should know something regarding Sullivan by the end of the week. If he turns the job down, I don't know where we go from here.

And the week before last?
[-] The following 1 user Likes jetpilot's post:
  • Colonel4Life1999
(02-07-2024, 11:43 AM)jetpilot Wrote:

Groundhog Day: Sully's Version
[-] The following 1 user Likes Colonel4Life1999's post:
  • jetpilot
(02-07-2024, 11:45 AM)Colonel4Life1999 Wrote:
(02-07-2024, 11:43 AM)jetpilot Wrote:

Groundhog Day: Sully's Version
Groundhog Day 2: Sully Does Prestonsburg
[-] The following 1 user Likes jetpilot's post:
  • Colonel4Life1999
Is Prestonsburg so bad that nobody wants to coach them?
(02-07-2024, 11:53 AM)Roncris8 Wrote: Is Prestonsburg so bad that nobody wants to coach them?
Yes. The program is in shambles no matter what some people may say. Have to get this hire right, or it will never recover to what it once was.
I still think it would be a good opportunity for the right person in the right circumstances. I just don't think anyone at Pikeville fits that description. Prestonsburg may have to end up gambling on an unproven but up and coming young guy.
Actually, I am hearing he has an interview today. We should know something regarding Sullivan by the end of the week. If he turns the job down, I don't know where we go from here.
Either my source isn’t getting correct info or you’re getting incorrect info.

I was told they’re calling other people now. 

I hope they hire Paul btw.
(02-07-2024, 12:06 PM)Rainmaker33 Wrote:
Actually, I am hearing he has an interview today. We should know something regarding Sullivan by the end of the week. If he turns the job down, I don't know where we go from here.
Either my source isn’t getting correct info or you’re getting incorrect info.

I was told they’re calling other people now. 

I hope they hire Paul btw.
Actually you could both be right.
I've never stated that anyone is interviewing. A lot of people are on here just throwing around rumors or making things up in their heads. I heard last week the interviewing process was starting today, and he was the first interview. I know there are other applicants which have been mentioned previously, but as far as them being interviewed or when, I'm not certain. As far as Prestonsburg being in shambles, I disagree. There is talent at the high school, a strong 7th and 5th grade class at the feeder level, solid facilities, a community who backs the program, and we play in a weak district and region. After this year if the current alignment stands. Prestonsburg should be the overwhelming favorite to win the district for the foreseeable future.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Blackcat 4 Life's post:
  • BlackcatAlum
;)
Who is in the district?
(02-07-2024, 12:32 PM)RTruth Wrote: Who is in the district?
Pburg, Martin County, Knott, and Floyd Central
(02-07-2024, 12:13 PM)Blackcat 4 Life Wrote: I've never stated that anyone is interviewing. A lot of people are on here just throwing around rumors or making things up in their heads. I heard last week the interviewing process was starting today, and he was the first interview. I know there are other applicants which have been mentioned previously, but as far as them being interviewed or when, I'm not certain. As far as Prestonsburg being in shambles, I disagree. There is talent at the high school, a strong 7th and 5th grade class at the feeder level, solid facilities, a community who backs the program, and we play in a weak district and region. After this year if the current alignment stands. Prestonsburg should be the overwhelming favorite to win the district for the foreseeable future.
First Bold:  The community has been hearing of this class and that class being strong in the feeder programs.  When Brewer was hired 6 seasons ago thats what was said too..."wait till this 6-7 grade class becomes Juniors and seniors" and look what happened.  You cants put all your eggs in the feeder program basket everytime something goes array.  You have to work with what you have, implement your system and roll with it...You cant coach the future, you can only coach the present.

Now for the second bold:  I wouldnt call the district weak when pburg hasnt won a district championship since 2017.  Pburg makes the district weak?  Knott Co has been Historically bad ok...Floyd Central is competitive and can beat Prestonsburg not weak, Betsy Layne is a competitive game now and they beat Prestonsburg twice last season...not weak anymore...Now Martin County, Historically the Cardinals have an advantage over Prestonsburg in District games and MC beat Betsy Layne 35-6 in the playoffs and BL beat Prestonsburg by two touchdowns,...Not weak...The only teams that are weak now in this district are Prestonsburg and Knott CO.  

Now for the Region....So you are saying Breathitt and Beechwood are weak?  Come on now... The reason Belfry stayed in 3A was to stay away from Beechwood and Mayfield...

The next coach does have some work ahead of him, and I hope they are ready for the challenge of getting Prestonsburg up and running again because its going to be a long haul as long as the parents and politics stay out of it.
[-] The following 1 user Likes papabear02's post:
  • waughdaddy59
(02-07-2024, 02:34 PM)papabear02 Wrote:
(02-07-2024, 12:13 PM)Blackcat 4 Life Wrote: I've never stated that anyone is interviewing. A lot of people are on here just throwing around rumors or making things up in their heads. I heard last week the interviewing process was starting today, and he was the first interview. I know there are other applicants which have been mentioned previously, but as far as them being interviewed or when, I'm not certain. As far as Prestonsburg being in shambles, I disagree. There is talent at the high school, a strong 7th and 5th grade class at the feeder level, solid facilities, a community who backs the program, and we play in a weak district and region. After this year if the current alignment stands. Prestonsburg should be the overwhelming favorite to win the district for the foreseeable future.
First Bold:  The community has been hearing of this class and that class being strong in the feeder programs.  When Brewer was hired 6 seasons ago thats what was said too..."wait till this 6-7 grade class becomes Juniors and seniors" and look what happened.  You cants put all your eggs in the feeder program basket everytime something goes array.  You have to work with what you have, implement your system and roll with it...You cant coach the future, you can only coach the present.

Now for the second bold:  I wouldnt call the district weak when pburg hasnt won a district championship since 2017.  Pburg makes the district weak?  Knott Co has been Historically bad ok...Floyd Central is competitive and can beat Prestonsburg not weak, Betsy Layne is a competitive game now and they beat Prestonsburg twice last season...not weak anymore...Now Martin County, Historically the Cardinals have an advantage over Prestonsburg in District games and MC beat Betsy Layne 35-6 in the playoffs and BL beat Prestonsburg by two touchdowns,...Not weak...The only teams that are weak now in this district are Prestonsburg and Knott CO.  

Now for the Region....So you are saying Breathitt and Beechwood are weak?  Come on now... The reason Belfry stayed in 3A was to stay away from Beechwood and Mayfield...

The next coach does have some work ahead of him, and I hope they are ready for the challenge of getting Prestonsburg up and running again because its going to be a long haul as long as the parents and politics stay out of it.
I can remember when my son played you had some kids who were better than others at a young age and people wait til they got in high school they’d have a great team and a few of them ended up not even playing football in high school. I agree you have to coach the current team you got then worry about 5 years from now when it gets here. Some of those kids in that group may never play a down of high school football.
(02-07-2024, 02:47 PM)pirateforlife Wrote:

I can remember when my son played you had some kids who were better than others at a young age and people wait til they got in high school they’d have a great team and a few of them ended up not even playing football in high school. I agree you have to coach the current team you got then worry about 5 years from now when it gets here. Some of those kids in that group may never play a down of high school football.
That's right, not saying you cant plan and be prepared...That's not it...I'm saying is people use that as a backdrop and excuse when things go wrong they will say,,,oh wait till this class comes up...we will be champs....

A great coach can take what's there and turn them into immediate winners...plain and simple....anyone can coach talent because talent usually coaches itself...but when you have mediocre kids mixed in with a few great players...you have to know how to mesh those players and get the maximum effort out of them, you have to coach them and make them believe they are champions already, you have to set early goals and work at them everyday...its not rocket English

Coach for today, and tomorrow will be easy...
  • jetpilot

The district is weak and Prestonsburg has been one of the weaker teams in the district under Brewer. The point I'm trying to make is it doesn't take a powerhouse to win the district. Martin County was a much better team than anyone in our district, but they are going to take a couple of steps back this year, and Floyd Central the year after next. 2A football in Eastern Kentucky isn't very good at the moment and if the right person is hired, they could take full advantage of this. I misspoke when I mentioned region, instead of district 8. Shelby Valley is going to see a significant drop off from the past three or four years, and East Ridge, Betsy Layne, and Pike Central are all winnable games in the playoffs. If we can hire a coach who can restore the pride in our program, keep kids from transferring, and possibly bring in a few kids from the surrounding area, there isn't any reason why we can't win the district and play for a regional championship. Now will that happen, I don't know, but with the right hire it's possible. Prestonsburg is an attractive job, but like others have said in the past, it will take a special kind of coach to make it happen. As far as the feeder program, I don't recall the feeder program having the talent it has now when Brewer took over. Hell, there were a couple of years the middle school barely had enough kids to make a team and won very few games before Matt Slone took it over. Regardless, I hope the right coach is hired and we can all look forward to Prestonsburg football once again.
Anyone know how many showed up for weights today?
(02-07-2024, 11:55 AM)HowBoutThemBlackcats Wrote:
(02-07-2024, 11:53 AM)Roncris8 Wrote: Is Prestonsburg so bad that nobody wants to coach them?
Yes. The program is in shambles no matter what some people may say. Have to get this hire right, or it will never recover to what it once was.
There not bad they just got to have a right guy there Brew Crew wasn’t it I said that from day one  but to get the right guy they going to have to pay for one of them
Looks like 2nd week of March they will hire
I'll see that 2nd week in March and raise you to April 15
(02-07-2024, 10:39 AM)16 special Wrote:
(02-06-2024, 07:29 PM)Sports72 Wrote: when the new school in johnson county opens then how many kids leave Pburg?

johnson central splitting or just getting a new school building?

Just getting a new building.
If they put as much effort into hiring a coach as they do firing a coach, they might could get one quicker.
  • waughdaddy59
Cant rely on feeder programs, especially in this day and time...
I played basketball from 3rd grade on, I remember some of the best players I ever played with never played HS ball. They didnt like the coach and back then playing at a differnet school was not an easy option for most folks..  I remember our varsity players getting smoked by kids in PE and the weekend courts, but those good players just had no desire to play for that particular coach..
Top 3 applicants who aren’t Paul?
Sullivan interviewed yesterday evening. I heard the interview went well. Hopefully, we find out one way or another before the week is out. Hail Blackcats!
(02-08-2024, 09:52 AM)Blackcat 4 Life Wrote: Sullivan interviewed yesterday evening. I heard the interview went well. Hopefully, we find out one way or another before the week is out. Hail Blackcats!
Do you know of any other applicants that got a call for an interview?
Apologies for my statement. My source had to have heard some misinformation- hearing he did interview.
(02-08-2024, 12:03 PM)Rainmaker33 Wrote: Apologies for my statement. My source had to have heard some misinformation- hearing he did interview.
Is this just a courtesy interview or is there legitimate interest? Don’t know him but I know people who do and they’ve said they’d be surprised if he left Pikeville considering he’s from there, the success they’ve had recently, and the likely next HC when Mcnamee retires
The bump in his pay I think would be the reason.
  •  Previous
  • 11(current)
  • Next