•  Previous
  • 4(current)
  • Next 
  Thread Closed
Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Prestonsburg Open
I just seen that Grant has officially been added to the GRC staff.  On a side note they have now added Andrew Soucey as well.  They have put together a very impressive coaching staff.
Like I said earlier, don’t believe everything you read on here.

Prestonsburg is a proud football program that’s been in the mix as one of the better programs this side of 75 for most of its history. The program hasn’t won a playoff game since 2017. Folks, coach Brewer was given 6 years before he resigned. That’s a long time these days, in my opinion and very fair. Kids haven’t been transferring in droves from the football program either. You had one leave and go to Paintsville since the mass exodus of 2016 and he’s already transferred back. We’ve had more transfer in than out under Brewer. So idk why transferring and Pburg keeps coming up together.

People do care here and want to win.

This job isn’t for everybody.
[-] The following 1 user Likes BlackcatAlum's post:
  • jetpilot
I’m not saying Newsome couldn’t do the job, there are just a lot of “Ifs” they would need to fulfill to be successful. If he accepts the offense they have been running has not been working. If he immediately begins an intense required off season conditioning program for the players. If he actively helps support and build the feeder program for long term success. And if he surrounds himself with a staff who know what they’re doing to build fundamentals and skills. Then he will succeed.
Regardless of who gets the job, I will support their efforts
Sullivan ain’t going anywhere. No offense to Pburg, but Sullivan could have had the Paintsville job when Cherico left, fresh off a State Championship, and a very good group of starters and reserves returning. If he took this job, I’d be shocked.

One name that was mentioned early in the thread that has been forgotten is Belfry assistant Ryan Chapman. He was my pick to take over Paintsville when Sullivan turned it down. If he applied at Pburg, and Jordan Ray is out, they need to give him some serious consideration. Of course if Michael Burchett is interested and does apply, that’s a no-brainer.
Notre Dame Football…GO IRISH
(01-21-2024, 11:01 PM)hawg laig Wrote: I’m not saying Newsome couldn’t do the job, there are just a lot of “Ifs” they would need to fulfill to be successful. If he accepts the offense they have been running has not been working. If he immediately begins an intense required off season conditioning program for the players. If he actively helps support and build the feeder program for long term success. And if he surrounds himself with a staff who know what they’re doing to build fundamentals and skills. Then he will succeed.
I see what you're saying and I get why everyone might be hesitant to consider Newsome as the next head coach. Like I said before, I think he can read the room and knows things can't be the exact same as the last 6 years. He has to surround himself with a staff that the players will respect and will want to play for.

I think if you asked any current or former player that played for coach Derek Newsome, they would all have positive things to say. I don't know how many are aware of the Facebook poll that was created a few weeks ago, but he actually got the most votes, over Jordan Ray and Sullivan. To be fair though, Michael Burchett was a late addition to the poll. To me, that says a lot about what the kids and community think about him.

He's not a name many considered when the news broke about Brewer resigning. Everyone, including myself figured Jordan Ray was a lock. It didn't work out. Now I feel like all the eggs are in the Burchett or Sullivan basket and if that doesn't work out I mean you're almost starting this search over. Granted, I don't know who all has applied or might be considering it. But if you don't get Burchett or Sullivan, you're likely looking at hiring a up and comer that has no head coaching experience or you're going to make a call to Jarredd Jarrell and I don't think he'll take the job at this point. If you're left with up and comers, Derek Newsome should be considered.

Hopefully a hire is made sooner rather than later.
(01-22-2024, 02:04 AM)BlackcatAlum Wrote:
(01-21-2024, 11:01 PM)hawg laig Wrote: I’m not saying Newsome couldn’t do the job, there are just a lot of “Ifs” they would need to fulfill to be successful. If he accepts the offense they have been running has not been working. If he immediately begins an intense required off season conditioning program for the players. If he actively helps support and build the feeder program for long term success. And if he surrounds himself with a staff who know what they’re doing to build fundamentals and skills. Then he will succeed.
I see what you're saying and I get why everyone might be hesitant to consider Newsome as the next head coach. Like I said before, I think he can read the room and knows things can't be the exact same as the last 6 years. He has to surround himself with a staff that the players will respect and will want to play for.

I think if you asked any current or former player that played for coach Derek Newsome, they would all have positive things to say. I don't know how many are aware of the Facebook poll that was created a few weeks ago, but he actually got the most votes, over Jordan Ray and Sullivan. To be fair though, Michael Burchett was a late addition to the poll. To me, that says a lot about what the kids and community think about him.

He's not a name many considered when the news broke about Brewer resigning. Everyone, including myself figured Jordan Ray was a lock. It didn't work out. Now I feel like all the eggs are in the Burchett or Sullivan basket and if that doesn't work out I mean you're almost starting this search over. Granted, I don't know who all has applied or might be considering it. But if you don't get Burchett or Sullivan, you're likely looking at hiring a up and comer that has no head coaching experience or you're going to make a call to Jarredd Jarrell and I don't think he'll take the job at this point. If you're left with up and comers, Derek Newsome should be considered.

Hopefully a hire is made sooner rather than later.
I believe they have a few applicants but haven’t started interviewing yet.  They need to get on the ball and hire someone soon.  The offseason won’t wait for them.
[-] The following 2 users Like papabear02's post:
  • BlackcatAlum, BlackcatPride32
A name I would add to the list is Jason Pack. Pack is assistant coach at Frederick Douglass.
(01-22-2024, 04:38 PM)Ballbuster Wrote: A name I would add to the list is Jason Pack. Pack is assistant coach at Frederick Douglass.

What’s his story & background?
Notre Dame Football…GO IRISH
(01-22-2024, 01:38 AM)Redneck Wrote: Sullivan ain’t going anywhere. No offense to Pburg, but Sullivan could have had the Paintsville job when Cherico left, fresh off a State Championship, and a very good group of starters and reserves returning. If he took this job, I’d be shocked.

One name that was mentioned early in the thread that has been forgotten is Belfry assistant Ryan Chapman. He was my pick to take over Paintsville when Sullivan turned it down. If he applied at Pburg, and Jordan Ray is out, they need to give him some serious consideration. Of course if Michael Burchett is interested and does apply, that’s a no-brainer.
Not sure if he applied.  He and Sullivan are rumored to apply but it’s not been confirmed yet.  

I do know there are a few Blackcat alum that are interested and have applied. Like I said before, they need to get going on interviews because these programs are already a month ahead of Pburg in the offseason.  And if they don’t get those players in the weight room after school now, then it will be ten times harder getting them in there when they hire a coach.
(01-22-2024, 06:50 PM)Redneck Wrote:
(01-22-2024, 04:38 PM)Ballbuster Wrote: A name I would add to the list is Jason Pack. Pack is assistant coach at Frederick Douglass.

What’s his story & background?
Prestonsburg grad

Assistant Freshman coach and varsity TE coach at Freddy D. Former coaching experience at the middle school level.
If Ray is out then this thing is wide open.

Honestly, idk who would be interested in this job enough to wade through the cesspit that is the politics of the Floyd County BOE to get it.

Rich tradition, rich alumni support, poor administration.

The main reason Letton and Derossett were successful was because they are both magnetic, charismatic personalities that aren’t afraid of a fight. Not many people like that looking for a HS head coaching job at a place like Pburg these days.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Red and Black's post:
  • Westside
It saddens me that Ray is out, I think it would have been a great fit. If Clark was able to get him to stay with money as an assistant then PBurg's football stipend must be fairly limited and that will play a role in who the next coach is.
[-] The following 2 users Like HSFOOTBALL's post:
  • BlackcatAlum, Westside
(01-23-2024, 09:58 AM)HSFOOTBALL Wrote: It saddens me that Ray is out, I think it would have been a great fit.  If Clark was able to get him to stay with money as an assistant then PBurg's football stipend must be fairly limited and that will play a role in who the next coach is.
The increase in pay was more than likely a new teaching position or a director role in special education that paid more, they possibly game him some extra money on the stipend side also…but usually it’s a teaching position that wasn’t available to offer from PHS. 

I Wouldn't feel bad about not getting him, there are other candidates out there that are just as qualified…if not more.
Does anyone have a list of who has applied?
There is a lot of talk in town that Bill Letton is moving back to Prestonsburg. If he wants  the job it’s his. Most of the powers that be played under Letton and they love him. I think Letton is what it’s going to take to energize the football program. He will get not only the football team energized but the whole town. I have never heard a bad word about the guy. I think that’s very telling of his character because there is always someone that will bash a football coach.
(01-23-2024, 12:16 PM)RTruth Wrote: Does anyone have a list of who has applied?
Kevin Woods
Derek Newsome
Matt Slone 
Jordan Ray - retracted application
(01-23-2024, 12:21 PM)papabear02 Wrote:
Kevin Woods
Derek Newsome
Matt Slone 
So Chapman from Belfry and Sullivan from Pikeville have not applied?
Kevin Woods
Derek Newsome
Matt Slone 
God help us if that is the list.
There have been more applicant's.
Kevin Woods will NOT be the coach at Prestonsburg for many reasons. I ASSURE you, there's a 0% chance.

If everyone else bows out Matt Slone might have a longshot 5% chance. Doubt it.. for many reasons.

If you were going to hire Derek, why just not keep Brewer. Just because there's a flipping Facebook poll created by Kevin Woods and Derek got the most votes because he got every middle school student at Allen Grade School to respond doesn't mean he's a fan favorite. Reality check is needed.

I can not believe they fumbled the ball on Jordan Ray. The kid has been wanting to be the coach here since he was a little boy. The Principal needs to stand up for himself and cut the crap out.
Some people on here and all these "come lately" Blackcats fans need a dose of REALITY.

Someone has to bring that "my way or the highway" mentality that is needed in the program like when B Letton and John DeRossett had it. No daddy ball. No bull crap. Just a thought. That's how Prestonsburg makes it work.

I'm telling you right now- if they don't get this right... players from 3rd grade and on WILL leave and the program will never recover.
(01-23-2024, 01:33 PM)BlackcatAlum Wrote: There have been more applicant's.
Do you know who?

(01-23-2024, 01:37 PM)HowBoutThemBlackcats Wrote: Kevin Woods will NOT be the coach at Prestonsburg for many reasons. I ASSURE you, there's a 0% chance.

If everyone else bows out Matt Slone might have a longshot 5% chance. Doubt it.. for many reasons.

If you were going to hire Derek, why just not keep Brewer. Just because there's a flipping Facebook poll created by Kevin Woods and Derek got the most votes because he got every middle school student at Allen Grade School to respond doesn't mean he's a fan favorite. Reality check is needed.

I can not believe they fumbled the ball on Jordan Ray. The kid has been wanting to be the coach here since he was a little boy. The Principal needs to stand up for himself and cut the crap out.
Some people on here and all these "come lately" Blackcats fans need a dose of REALITY.

Someone has to bring that "my way or the highway" mentality that is needed in the program like when B Letton and John DeRossett had it. No daddy ball. No bull crap. Just a thought. That's how Prestonsburg makes it work.

I'm telling you right now- if they don't get this right... players from 3rd grade and on WILL leave and the program will never recover.
I would agree with some of this.  

I think woods has been a heck of a coach the past few years under the direction of DeRossett. Both have calmed down a lot. People and players in Magoffin love them. Prestonsburg is just too closed minded to have a coach that is stern and no BS. I would say for Woods when he was the middle school coach he was new and things got out of hand a few times but who hasn’t had a few ups and downs. 

I honestly think if they gave him a shot, he would surprise alot of people.  

Slone’s only issue is he isn’t a teacher and if any experienced teachers apply, it’s highly recommended that a teacher is hired.  Matt knows the game, he’s hard nosed just like Woods and DeRossett.  He’s not as aggressive but can coach.  He would be a great asset to the blackcats at any level.  

the issue with Pburg these days is the parents want a coach they can control and the principal is the same way. 

Newsome I agree. He has solidified himself in that Wing-T offense and that’s all he focused on and that’s what people don’t like in Pburg.  They want their son at QB throwing touchdowns every play while parent B wants their kid running touchdowns every play. 

Newsome would be a great position coach, but as a head coach, I don’t think he has it yet.  He has the likes but I don’t think he has it. 

as for the poll, yea I agree it just isn’t a tool I’d use to see who the coach is lol.  

I hope they do get more applicants as I would like to see this program back on top.
[-] The following 1 user Likes papabear02's post:
  • waughdaddy59
Kevin Woods
Derek Newsome
Matt Slone 
 Outside of Ray I don’t think the other three are qualified to be a head coach.
Didn’t Prestonsburg run their baseball coach out of town who had just won the region not too long before that? I’d say the applicant pool is small due to this. People probably know they can’t run the program how they want but will be forced to play kids based on political powers in the town.
They should have plenty of applicants due to all the keyboard coaches on here.

(01-23-2024, 02:55 PM)pirateforlife Wrote: Didn’t Prestonsburg run their baseball coach out of town who had just won the region not too long before that? I’d say the applicant pool is small due to this. People probably know they can’t run the program how they want but will be forced to play kids based on political powers in the town.
A lot of politics in Prestonsburg.  And I do understand why you wouldn’t get many notable applicants for any position.  You fight for your life everyday hoping not to make that one person mad that has a little pull in the town.
Kevin Woods
Derek Newsome
Matt Slone 

Now I understand why Ray was the obvious choice. Simpkins wasn't run off by the community and parents (they loved him), he was ran off by DeRossett and Butcher (they were jealous of him). Reading throughout this tread the #1 choice Michael Burchett #2 Bill Letton #3 find someone else that hasn't been mentioned yet. Just like one of the other posters said, if they don't get it right this time it may never recover. Football in the mountains is better when Pburg is competitive against other powerhouse football teams.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Ike Cooter's post:
  • BlackcatAlum
(01-23-2024, 01:17 PM)HowBoutThemBlackcats Wrote:
Kevin Woods
Derek Newsome
Matt Slone 
God help us if that is the list.

Rudy Pennington went undefeated with the c team a couple years ago. I heard he was going to apply. 
Regardless of what people are saying from Pikeville, Sullivan is very interested. Letton is interested as well, but that chatter has died down over the past couple of days, similar to the Burchett talk. If a contract can be worked out I’m hearing Sullivan could be the next coach.
(01-24-2024, 01:46 PM)Blackcat 4 Life Wrote: Regardless of what people are saying from Pikeville, Sullivan is very interested. Letton is interested as well, but that chatter has died down over the past couple of days, similar to the Burchett talk. If a contract can be worked out I’m hearing Sullivan could be the next coach.
Has Chapman from Belfry applied? Don’t know Sullivan but Pikeville folks I know have said he is a great coach and the kids really like him. Question is what staff could he put together and would the parents keep their nose of out the way for him to do his job. Plus how long would he stay? Figured he’d be Mcnamee replacement when he hung the whistle up.
(01-24-2024, 01:46 PM)Blackcat 4 Life Wrote: Regardless of what people are saying from Pikeville, Sullivan is very interested. Letton is interested as well, but that chatter has died down over the past couple of days, similar to the Burchett talk. If a contract can be worked out I’m hearing Sullivan could be the next coach.

Sullivan would be a home run
[-] The following 1 user Likes BlackcatPride32's post:
  • BlackcatAlum
It will be Sullivan
  •  Previous
  • 4(current)
  • Next