Poll: Who wins?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Somerset
43.75%
Mayfield
56.25%
* You voted for this item.

•  Previous
  • 8(current)
  • Next 
  Thread Closed
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Class 2A State Championship: Somerset vs Mayfield
ontopofthewest Wrote:I must say.... being the last game of the year, i really expected more out of the Somerset faithful...

We'll be there Saturday. From reading the Mayfield posts it sounds like we'll be lucky to avoid a running clock, but we might as well show up. They've already got the field reserved and everything.
Walt Longmire Wrote:We'll be there Saturday. From reading the Mayfield posts it sounds like we'll be lucky to avoid a running clock, but we might as well show up. They've already got the field reserved and everything.

I don’t think that’s the case at all. Most of us are expecting a close game.
mysonis55 Wrote:I don’t think that’s the case at all. Most of us are expecting a close game.

21 points, like you predicted, is not a close game. It's 1 score better than Beechwood and Murray and about like PT. If that's how good you expect Somerset to be it doesn't sound like you're expecting much. But that's fine, you guys know more football than anyone, you're probably correct.
Somerset is a good team and likely on par with McCracken as an opponent that we have faced. The Jumpers have a big line and hard running backs, a qb that can throw and run and good receivers. I would say LCA is the team that most mimics us that Somerset has played. One win and one lose. If Mayfield stops the run, I like the Cards chances. I don't see Somerset stopping Mayfield completely and if Mayfield is hitting on all cylinders I could see them putting up 42 or so points. Mayfield's defense will have to step up, the linebackers stop the run. I think this will be a good game but I think this game is more winnable than it was against Danville and LCA in the other State Finals games.
Snakesnot Wrote:Somerset is a good team and likely on par with McCracken as an opponent that we have faced. The Jumpers have a big line and hard running backs, a qb that can throw and run and good receivers. I would say LCA is the team that most mimics us that Somerset has played. One win and one lose. If Mayfield stops the run, I like the Cards chances. I don't see Somerset stopping Mayfield completely and if Mayfield is hitting on all cylinders I could see them putting up 42 or so points. Mayfield's defense will have to step up, the linebackers stop the run. I think this will be a good game but I think this game is more winnable than it was against Danville and LCA in the other State Finals games.

Shhhhh. Don't tell 55 that. If only the coaches had listened to his plans. :lmao:

All in good fun 55. :Thumbs:
Walt Longmire Wrote:21 points, like you predicted, is not a close game. It's 1 score better than Beechwood and Murray and about like PT. If that's how good you expect Somerset to be it doesn't sound like you're expecting much. But that's fine, you guys know more football than anyone, you're probably correct.

I was going to attend the game but since Somerset don't have a chance I'll just listen on the radio and save my 30 bucks. May not even listen if Mayfield keeps convincing me Somerset can't play.:truestory:
Walt Longmire Wrote:21 points, like you predicted, is not a close game. It's 1 score better than Beechwood and Murray and about like PT. If that's how good you expect Somerset to be it doesn't sound like you're expecting much. But that's fine, you guys know more football than anyone, you're probably correct.

I think I explained that I do think it will be close, with Mayfield pulling away in the second half. That's just my opinion. Just like the old saying, it's like butt*****, everyone has one.
JustThinking Wrote:I was going to attend the game but since Somerset don't have a chance I'll just listen on the radio and save my 30 bucks. May not even listen if Mayfield keeps convincing me Somerset can't play.:truestory:

Sounds like a great idea.
From an opponents perspective I think McCrackens players were blostered by Mayfield's size. I do believe kids are easily intimidated by bigger athletes. Mayfield doesn't look or really play like a team capable of imposing there will on you. Our kids got a big boost from this aspect on defense. The MCHS defense at the time played their best game by a longshot. Somerset's players may vastly underestimate how this will impact the game. Speed is and always has been the greater size neutralizer. But I certainly think Somerset's defense will play better than McCracken's did on that night. However, the Stangs offense completed 5 or 6 passes greater than (25+ in the air) 40 yds most for TDs. I don't see that happening again? So can the Somerset run game keep up with the high powered Cardinal air attack?

Hardly ever do we have pivotal life moments that are predictable. But Saturday for these players and parents will live forever in their hearts. It's sooooo damn awesome!! Win or lose just remember how fortunate you are to even just be there.
Mayfield 34
Somerset 21
Walt Longmire Wrote:We'll be there Saturday. From reading the Mayfield posts it sounds like we'll be lucky to avoid a running clock, but we might as well show up. They've already got the field reserved and everything.

Now walt, come on.... this is why these forums exist.. to banter an express opinions. Its only in fun.. out side of this forum i promis you would get along with any of us mayfield fans.. some just like talking trash, bc around here an throught the year we are an seem to always be everyones target an we are used to being this way bc of it.. i expect what should be a very tight game. But i also see it being a late point separation and a pull away.. odds are im wrong but who knows.. one thing i do know like everyone else i do believe these two teams are capable of putting on a show for the University of Kentucky on sat...!!
Elite talent. Lol. Somerset has probably the 4 best players in this game.
WETSU Wrote:Elite talent. Lol. Somerset has probably the 4 best players in this game.

Lol... there isn’t a player for Somerset that can hang with Kade Neely on either side of the ball
Our Kade is better. Lol
We will see how many times your coach puts neeley on grundy 1 on 1. He knows his players limits.
Somerset isn't the Underdog they are playing themself up to be. Don't know why y'all act like your the Underdog. Heard your own radio crew even say that Somerset has to be favored in this game. Sounds like some are just hedging their bets. I just hope Mayfield can keep from getting a running clock put on them. See I can play that card too.
The Louisville Courier Journal crew picked Mayfield. All the people on the east side are picking Somerset. I guess it depends which side of the state you are on to figure which one is fake news.
mysonis55 Wrote:The Louisville Courier Journal crew picked Mayfield. All the people on the east side are picking Somerset. I guess it depends which side of the state you are on to figure which one is fake news.

Yea I think they are bet hedging, last time I checked CAL PREPS had somerset favored. Now if you are using RPI I guess mayfield would be favored, by less than a point I guess since they are so close.
Havent seen any physical limits Cade Neely has and lets see how Grundy does against Cade 1 on 1. Your Cade will lose that battle every time.!!!!!
Both Kades are exceptional. Somersets gets more touches and as good as he is offensively, he's even better defensively. Mayfields Kade is a baller himself. He's about 6'3 which makes him awfully tough to cover and if he gets a step on you, forget it. A lot faster than given credit for. Considering both are walking on at D1 P5 programs, they both have a lot of game, without question.
bcpc Wrote:Mayfield 35-14

WestCarterComet Wrote:Mayfield by 14

CS17 Wrote:Mayfield is probably the favorite, but Somerset is no slouch... they've handled their business this year. I think the two Kades will be something to keep an eye on. I assume Somerset will shadow Neely with Grundy all day. After seeing Grundy in a few games online, the guy is an athlete and is a threat on both sides of the ball, but I would take Neely in that matchup everyday...and twice on Sunday. Somerset has some bruisers for running backs which could give the Mayfield front 7 some problems if they can sustain some drives. If I'm the somerset coach I try to establish a run game and sprinkle in some passes to Grundy... and keep the ball out of Mayfield's hands. For Mayfield, if Jayden is on target, and the line gives him a little time... I don't think they can be stopped, just too many weapons for a 2A team to keep up with. Sprinkle in a dose of Galbreath and that's a nightmare to scheme against. With all of that said:

Mayfield 42
Somerset 28

Elite Eagle Wrote:As much as it kills me to say it... I think mayfield wins this one by 2-3 tds. But I will still be rooting for the briar jumpers!
MF- 35
Somerset-21

PHSFAN Wrote:I'm really hoping Somerset wins but I think Mayfield wins by 2-3 Tds... really hope I'm wrong.

Go Jumpers!!

WestRedWings Wrote:Kroger field has cursed the Cardinals over the last couple years it's time to end that curse. Lets go Cards. I'll just guess and says Cards 38 Jumpers 28. Both outstanding teams!!

CARDFAN16 Wrote:I think this is going to be a close game but don’t feel a ball control strategy is going work well against the card. I have been a sceptic of our defense all year but they have been getting the pressure and stops when needed the last few games. I will take slack for this but I feel Somerset can win this game but they better come out slinging the ball. If they run 10 min off the clock on a drive mayfield will be standing in the end zone at 1030 mark. Also the Cards RB have been on so we will see. Kroger field has no been nice to us maybe we will be on the opposite side of the field and change luck Good Luck everyone and congrats on a great season.

mysonis55 Wrote:Cards 42-21

64SUR Wrote:Going with mayfield in a high scoring game. :popcorn:

Mayfield 49
Somerset 42

cardsfan9051 Wrote:Somerset fans you are about to witness an old fashioned, take your butt behind the woodshed, butt whooping. You had a good season. Not great, but good. But Saturday from first whistle to the last, you are going to witness the greatest show on turf you have ever witnessed. If you blink twice it's going to be over with. And all this ball control and control the line nonsense you been talking about is ridiculous. We love it. You go three and out and we score on our first play. You repeat we score. You see the pattern here. Running clock in 3rd quarter. Silly rabbits...state championships are for cardinals. #13 coming back to mayfield.

BLEEDRED&BLACK Wrote:Got to see Somerset this year play Danville @ home in Oct. and my first thought was that they are definitely not any better than anyone on Mayfields schedule..They have a nice solid offensive game even without their stellar running back who was lost for the season and they will be able to put points on the board..OL has very good size but had trouble blocking quick athletic type defenders..Considering this was a very young and undermanned Admiral team I was really surprised with all the hype I had been hearing about the guys in the trenches..
Defensively is where they appeared to be at a loss IMO because I just dont think they can stop the Mayfield aerial attack when its clicking..DL will get some pressure on QB without a doubt but LBs and DBs as a whole shouldn't match up well with our receiving corps and mix it with our running game and I believe they will be on there heals all night..Just my observation from the game I saw in person..Somerset has a very talented team and I'm not taking anything away from them because we have our own faults as a team but i think we are just are a little more polished right now and I think we can put enough points on the board to win this game..Should still be an exciting game to watch none the less..Believe we will have the advantage in the kicking game IMO..Good luck Bunnies and Cards and have an injury free final game and leave it all on the field..LETS GO GET #13

ontopofthewest Wrote:Totally shocked if they do.. only reason im worried about the qb is cause that is the only player that will make this competitive... we have faced #1 runningback/with several recievers an a running qb that could sling the ball.. not to mention a big physical line in madisonville... then u have mccracken huge physical line good qb an running back along with several good recievers.. laussane had prob the biggest line we played all year an talent all over the field an we shut them completely down... we are plenty tested an only one player im worried about is the qb.. if he is one on his passes could be a long day.. out side of that not worried about much... the formula for beating mayfield is passing...

cardsfan9051 Wrote:Call it like I see it. Complete domination by mayfield. If I remember last year a certain Corbin game you called me a few names for calling a blowout and well we all know how that went.......

Otis Campbell Wrote:Mayfield 42
Somerset 28

killbilly usmc Wrote:Somerset isn't the Underdog they are playing themself up to be. Don't know why y'all act like your the Underdog. Heard your own radio crew even say that Somerset has to be favored in this game. Sounds like some are just hedging their bets. I just hope Mayfield can keep from getting a running clock put on them. See I can play that card too.

Maybe the above quotes are why the Somerset fans are talking about being a big underdog. It seems most don't think much of Somerset's chances at all, maybe 4-5 posters picked the Jumpers.
KYHSFBFan Wrote:Both Kades are exceptional. Somersets gets more touches and as good as he is offensively, he's even better defensively. Mayfields Kade is a baller himself. He's about 6'3 which makes him awfully tough to cover and if he gets a step on you, forget it. A lot faster than given credit for. Considering both are walking on at D1 P5 programs, they both have a lot of game, without question.

I think you're confusing Grundy with our FB/LB Jase Bruner. Jase has accepted a preferred walk on spot at UK. Kade Grundy was on the Junior Olympic Baseball Team. He's committed to UL for that sport, but I'm sure he'd get some offers for football if he decided to go that route. He's a really good all-around athlete. He was at least honorable mention all-state in baseball, football and basketball last year as a junior.
Thought Grundy was a junior now? Somerset is my early pick to win 2a next year, but that was thinking he had one more year along with the qb.
Walt Longmire Wrote:I think you're confusing Grundy with our FB/LB Jase Bruner. Jase has accepted a preferred walk on spot at UK. Kade Grundy was on the Junior Olympic Baseball Team. He's committed to UL for that sport, but I'm sure he'd get some offers for football if he decided to go that route. He's a really good all-around athlete. He was at least honorable mention all-state in baseball, football and basketball last year as a junior.

Why is he risking playing football. I hope he doesn’t get hurt. I want to see him play at U of L. Don’t hurt that baseball career with a football injury. That is very impressive. U of L has had a really good baseball program of late.
killbilly usmc Wrote:Thought Grundy was a junior now? Somerset is my early pick to win 2a next year, but that was thinking he had one more year along with the qb.

He is a junior. Brainlock on my part.
mysonis55 Wrote:Why is he risking playing football. I hope he doesn’t get hurt. I want to see him play at U of L. Don’t hurt that baseball career with a football injury. That is very impressive. U of L has had a really good baseball program of late.

He's a competitor. He's coldblooded on the basketball court as well.
Walt Longmire Wrote:Maybe the above quotes are why the Somerset fans are talking about being a big underdog. It seems most don't think much of Somerset's chances at all, maybe 4-5 posters picked the Jumpers.

I want in Walter, Cards by 21, Confusedinglepar Hide the women and children, we are gonna go wabbitt hunting
I’m just glad to be here
CS17 Wrote:Lol... there isn’t a player for Somerset that can hang with Kade Neely on either side of the ball

your wires are crossed.
I remember hearing about the 8th grader that signed with U of L, but didn't remember his name. This Grundy kid is a supreme athlete. https://usatodayhss.com/2017/kade-grundy...e-baseball

This kid could throw a 60 yd in the air flea flicker. Lookout DBs !
  •  Previous
  • 8(current)
  • Next