Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Class 2A State Championship: Somerset vs Mayfield
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
Thoughts?
Mayfield 35-14
Mayfield by 14
Mayfield is probably the favorite, but Somerset is no slouch... they've handled their business this year. I think the two Kades will be something to keep an eye on. I assume Somerset will shadow Neely with Grundy all day. After seeing Grundy in a few games online, the guy is an athlete and is a threat on both sides of the ball, but I would take Neely in that matchup everyday...and twice on Sunday. Somerset has some bruisers for running backs which could give the Mayfield front 7 some problems if they can sustain some drives. If I'm the somerset coach I try to establish a run game and sprinkle in some passes to Grundy... and keep the ball out of Mayfield's hands. For Mayfield, if Jayden is on target, and the line gives him a little time... I don't think they can be stopped, just too many weapons for a 2A team to keep up with. Sprinkle in a dose of Galbreath and that's a nightmare to scheme against. With all of that said:

Mayfield 42
Somerset 28
Should be a great game. I don't think anyone is too surprised that it's these 2 teams meeting up in the Championship. Both teams coming in with impressive identical 13-1 records. Both have great offenses with great balance. Both teams have challenged themselves throughout the season with tough schedules. Both are well coached. Both are very athletic and Sr dominated teams. Can't wait for this "Instant Classic".
this thread will have12 pages by Saturday.
Should be a whale of a game
As much as it kills me to say it... I think mayfield wins this one by 2-3 tds. But I will still be rooting for the briar jumpers!
MF- 35
Somerset-21
Disciple of Leahy Wrote:this thread will have12 pages by Saturday.

The Pikeville/Paintsville thread will give it a run for its money....
I think this is the matchup we all thought we’d see back in August. 2 great teams headed to Kroger Field.

Everyone so far seems to believe Mayfield dominates this game; and rightfully so, they’re loaded.

I’m calling for an upset:
Somerset-31
Mayfield-28
Mayfield maybe has more balance than many teams but Somerset’s schedule should have them battle tested and ready for this game.
I'm really hoping Somerset wins but I think Mayfield wins by 2-3 Tds... really hope I'm wrong.

Go Jumpers!!
Kroger field has cursed the Cardinals over the last couple years it's time to end that curse. Lets go Cards. I'll just guess and says Cards 38 Jumpers 28. Both outstanding teams!!
They got some Mountains over in Pulaski County....I’ve seen them with my 2 eyes....So GO JUMPERS!!!! 😜
These are the 2 teams I thought would be here. Cardinals are gonna have to play very solid on defense and stop the big play. The defense has had me worried all season but I think our coaches will have them ready. I feel like this game will be a shootout but with Stinson and company on our side I think we score enough points to win!
Go Jumpers!
Fifteen to Six Wrote:I think this is the matchup we all thought we’d see back in August. 2 great teams headed to Kroger Field.

Everyone so far seems to believe Mayfield dominates this game; and rightfully so, they’re loaded.

I’m calling for an upset:
Somerset-31
Mayfield-28

I'm with you. 2 very good football, evenly matched football teams. I think shoot out, could come down to who has ball last. Look for Somerset to give Mayfield a good dose of running and controlling the cock. 35-32 Somerset. Confusedhh:Confusedhh:
JustThinking Wrote:I'm with you. 2 very good football, evenly matched football teams. I think shoot out, could come down to who has ball last. Look for Somerset to give Mayfield a good dose of running and controlling the cock. 35-32 Somerset. Confusedhh:Confusedhh:

I think this is going to be a close game but don’t feel a ball control strategy is going work well against the card. I have been a sceptic of our defense all year but they have been getting the pressure and stops when needed the last few games. I will take slack for this but I feel Somerset can win this game but they better come out slinging the ball. If they run 10 min off the clock on a drive mayfield will be standing in the end zone at 1030 mark. Also the Cards RB have been on so we will see. Kroger field has no been nice to us maybe we will be on the opposite side of the field and change luck Good Luck everyone and congrats on a great season.
Somerset 28-21.
Cards 42-21
CowboyDad Wrote:Mayfield maybe has more balance than many teams but Somerset’s schedule should have them battle tested and ready for this game.

I like the Cardinals schedule as the tougher of the 2 but both appear to played schedules that will have both well prepared and I think, despite my dislike of the RPI, that it did what is was designed to do in that these appear to be the best 2 teams in 2A and it should be a heck of a game.
Classic matchup of power versus speed. Mayfield hasn't seen an offensive and defensive line like Somerset since McCracken. The Cards got NO pressure on the QB that night and that can't happen again. Can Stinson play good with a collapsing pocket? Didn't against MCHS. Somerset hasn't seen anyone with team speed like Mayfield. Will they handle the pressure of championship football on Kroger field? Will they respond to the Cards "punch you in the mouth" 1st history. Such a great game on paper. It's really, really tough to call this one IMO. But I said Somerset was probably better in week 5 and I stand by it. Again.....I hope I'm wrong. Go Cards.
Classic matchup, Jumpers have to keep control of ball and keep it away from the cards. Should be a dandy to say the least. I’m pulling for an upset Jumpers 28 Cards 21.

But it could also be Cards 42 Jumpers 21..
Somerset is overdue as a program for a state title, not sure if they get it, but they deserve one.
There are certain games this season that having a healthy Alex Miller is all the difference. This is also one of those games. Going to have to find ways to keep the clock moving and shorten the game. Defense is going to have to play to full capacity.

Somerset could pull the upset. Mayfield should be the favorite. Any given game ...
Jackson Purchase Wrote:Classic matchup of power versus speed. Mayfield hasn't seen an offensive and defensive line like Somerset since McCracken. The Cards got NO pressure on the QB that night and that can't happen again. Can Stinson play good with a collapsing pocket? Didn't against MCHS. Somerset hasn't seen anyone with team speed like Mayfield. Will they handle the pressure of championship football on Kroger field? Will they respond to the Cards "punch you in the mouth" 1st history. Such a great game on paper. It's really, really tough to call this one IMO. But I said Somerset was probably better in week 5 and I stand by it. Again.....I hope I'm wrong. Go Cards.

You have to bring in McCraken co. ‘ can Stinson play good with a collapsing pocket, didn’t against MC’ . Your right, he didn’t play GREAT, 3 interceptions, BUT, I wouldn’t go as far as saying he didn’t play good, 243 yards and 2 touchdowns, against the mighty 6A mustangs. I’m glad your pulling for us to win the state championship since McCraken Co has already won theirs when that beat mayfield, as it will be their hat hanging game every year right before their 2 or MAYBE 3 wins in the playoffs. Congrats to you and your son, he played awesome, I’d be proud 2.
rookie57 Wrote:You have to bring in McCraken co. ‘ can Stinson play good with a collapsing pocket, didn’t against MC’ . Your right, he didn’t play GREAT, 3 interceptions, BUT, I wouldn’t go as far as saying he didn’t play good, 243 yards and 2 touchdowns, against the mighty 6A mustangs. I’m glad your pulling for us to win the state championship since McCraken Co has already won theirs when that beat mayfield, as it will be their hat hanging game every year right before their 2 or MAYBE 3 wins in the playoffs. Congrats to you and your son, he played awesome, I’d be proud 2.

Awfully salty about a game that only helped Mayfield improve.
Walt Longmire Wrote:Awfully salty about a game that only helped Mayfield improve.

Yes, it did help us improve, I agree, not salty at all, just don’t agree with your assessment that Stinson can’t play good with a collapsing pocket.
Going with mayfield in a high scoring game. :popcorn:

Mayfield 49
Somerset 42
Mayfield is used to being in the finals, so it might be close for a half. After that, though, elite talent and top-notch coaching take over:

Bunnies - 42
Birds - 20
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10