Thread Closed
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Class 2A State Semi-Finals: Beechwood @ Mayfield
mysonis55 Wrote:Beside Rookie, my arrogance doesn’t bother you any more than your pessimism at this time of the year annoys me.
Don't mistake silence for an absence of annoyance. Arrogance annoys most members, but the only thing that seems to alleviate arrogance in some fans is a few humiliating defeats of the teams that float their self esteem.
70 percent chance of rain during the game. The field is already getting kind of soft. I’m worried that this is a great equalizer. It is supposed to be in the 50’s though. We did beat Murray bad the first time this year in that type of weather. I just hate having that when we are at a win or go home moment.
This will be one of the closest games of the semis. I think the BW can do it but I think the long traveling distance and the home field advantage may be too much for the Tigers. Good luck to both teams. Hopefully an injury free night
This will make the game closer for sure but mayfield has the home field and knows what they are playing for so I have to go with mayfield and there win 900 if I seen another post correctly
Yes, it will be 900 wins. I think if they can catch the ball with little issues, it’s still a blowout. If they can’t, it could be a dog fight with a Tiger.
For all the Beechwood fans(most should know)and anyone else that does not reside in Mayfield, The stadium War Memorial that is, Is not located at the high school a good address would be the 900 block of West Lochridge or 902 North 15th St Either of the above listed address as well get you to the stadium
Thanks old card. I don’t know why we hadn’t thought of that sooner.
Mayfield big. Championship Game will be a shoot out.
CNN just reported that the mayfield faithful will have their new state of the art field cover rolled out moments before the game to keep it good and dry. Trump actually retweeted and is trending. Glad to see this game making the national stage.
On a serious note. I wonder if they will cover the field like they did in 2015 before OC came to visit. At least the middle of it.
Generally, Every Friday night when Mayfield has a home game there is always someone that googles the high school and then comes by my place of employment to ask for directions, as a matter fact I just started posting a sign on the door so now I’m giving the closest I can get addresses if they make it to that point no doubt of where the stadium is located
Disciple of Leahy Wrote:CNN just reported that the mayfield faithful will have their new state of the art field cover rolled out moments before the game to keep it good and dry. Trump actually retweeted and is trending. Glad to see this game making the national stage.

Confusednicker::hilarious::biglmao:
Mayfield - 38
Beechwood - 14
rookie57 Wrote:You are absolutely out of your mind, I quoted you on where you stated their losses and how bad somerset beat them. WE DO HAVE TO WIN FRIDAY TO GET TO STATE , then, we can worry about somerset or whoever! Just because somerset beat them by 30 or whatever does not mean we couldn’t beat Beechwood by 1 and STLL beat somerset! I just think this Friday will be a tough game, you don’t, doesn’t make you a genius if you end up being correct. Like many others on here your arrogance is starting to get on my nerves, give us a break and just pull for the Cardinals and have a little humility.
She's always been out of her mind. You can look at her and tell she ain't a genius.
Cards 35-17. Name your price tool for next week. 😀
While the Cards defense has had its share of problems, the one consistent has been their offense, which is explosive to say the least. I’ve seen teams come in and play the perfect style and game plan to challenge them and still find themselves 14-21 points down at the half and that offense seems to get better series by series as they find the weak spots and attack them. What makes Mayfield so tough is they’re relentless and constantly attack, sometimes the run setting up the pass and sometimes the pass setting up the run. They’re solid at both and their OL does a very good job with both. Between Stinson’s arm , Galbreath, Halliburton and Jackson’s legs with Neely, Perry, Daniels and Puckett making plays down field, it’s a real challenge to keep pace.
Cards by 14. Good but not great Beechwood team
NKY Game Preview

https://www.wlwt.com/article/preview-bee.../29965937#
Would love to see this old rivalry game. Beechwood kinda rebuild mode right now but still impressive season. Mayfield should handle this game. Mayfield 35-14
As everyone knows, the Cards are 7-0 versus the Tigers all time. The last time these 2 played was in 2015 in Beechwood, with the cards winning 35-24 in the cold. However, the Tigers have not been to War Memorial since 2011. That was the year they were expected by many to win it all. They had the team of seniors that had won it all in Middle School and this was the talk leading up to that game. They were supposed to be the Tiger's team of destiny to finally break the Mayfield curse. The Tigers were a formidable foe on that night. They had lost their starting qb on a hit by Jonathan Jackson along the Beechwood sidelines late in the game and were using their all everything back, Max Nussbaum, had taken over at qb and was moving the Tigers right down the field on a late drive to take the lead. It was 4th down and the Tigers had their play set to perfection. It was a pass across the middle to their top wr/rb. However, it was tipped at the line of scrimmage and LB Ross hit the wr just as the ball was arriving, preventing the catch for a sure first down. The drive stalled. The wr lost it out of frustration and got a unsportsmanlike call, then the coach added 2 more of those same calls and the Cards instead of taking over near their own 25 now took over in Beechwood territory to go into victory formation, thus protecting the 19-14 win.
In all, we have had 3 really close games between these two teams over the series. The very first meeting in 1995 was billed as a great game and it lived up to the billing. You had the Beechwood Tigers, who for many years had been the kings of 1a and were in the middle of a state championship run of I think 3 games in a row. Then you had a traditional power from 2a in Mayfield, that had just come to 1a the year prior. Mayfield already had 5 state titles of their own. This was a back and forth game until the end. I recall how the Tigers after getting down to Mayfield 28-21, late in the 4th, went straight down the field and scored. There was less than 1 minute left on the clock. Beechwood decided to go for 2. I remember looking at the score board and thinking Mayfield has less than 1 minute and 2 timeouts to get back to fg range if they score. Beechwood decided to go through the air, the pass was high, the wr jumped and had a play on the ball, just as our db hit him. The ball slipped through his hands. After recovering the on side kick, Mayfield went into victory formation and won state title #6 by a score of 28-27.
These 2 teams met again for a 1a state title in 2002. This time Mayfield was surely the large favorite, with a stingy defense that had only given up 1 touchdown since September of that year, to Danville in Danville in the semis. However, anyone that knew Beechwood, knew Beechwood would not give in. In a 7-7 football game late in the 4th quarter a fumble led to Mayfield scoring to take a 14-7 lead. On the ensuing kickoff, Beechwood fumbled again. Mayfield went into victory formation and went on to state title #7.
Those three games were really exciting but, who can forget 2014. Mayfield came out and intercepted the very first pass Beechwood threw that game and Kennemore returned it to inside the Beechwood 10. Mayfield scored to take the lead. Then as soon as Mayfield kicked the ball back to Beechwood, they set about a long controlled drive of mostly runs. They were controlling the Mayfield line and moving just like they wanted. That is until they got to 1st and goal. Mayfield made 3 straight stops and got them into a 4th and goal from the 1. Little Elijah Brimer busted through the line and dropped the rb inside the 1. Mayfield had the ball, 1st and 10 from their own 1/2 yard line. Anyone that knows Coach Joe, knows he is conservative (very conservative). So, everyone in the stands and on the field knew that it was Mayfield running the ball straigt up the middle to get some yardage. However, Coach Joe and Landon Arnett noticed that there was only a cb over the top on Kennemore and the help, safety, was all the way over the middle. So, Arnett drops back and Kennomore runs straight past the cb. Arnett throws and hits Kennemore in stride and its off to the races. 99.5 yards later, Mayfield was up 14-0 and never looked back.
I also recall 2010, Beechwood had just scored to cut the lead to 14-7 I think, at that point. They kicked the ball to Mayfield, the returner (Devon Jones), dropped the ball. Oh no, this is bad for Mayfield. Jones picks up the ball, does a couple juke moves and is off to the races for another touchdown. The game ended at 38-14.
Great article MC. I like how their own paper is calling for the Cards to prevail.
For those coming from Beechwood that don't use the gps. It is simple directions. You will be coming southbound on Purchase Parkway (I-69). Take the exit to Hwy 121. When you get to the top of the ramp, turn left. Go past the first stop light. The next road to the right, turn right. Follow that about 2/10 mile and the stadium will be to your left. You will see the lights.
#55 I recall everyone of those games from 95 when we came back with the backup Qb throwing a TD pass as the half ended to 02 where they had to use a snowplow to clear old Cardinal stadium before the game. Man it was cold until we put them away
I guess I missed the snow plow. They must have had that already done before the team got there. I came in with the team and it was already cleared.
Rumor is, the great Tony Franklin came up with 2-3 plays on the bus as they traveled to Louisville in 1995, that had never been ran in a game or practiced. I think one of those plays was a scoring play and the other was the play that starks caught for major yardage.

Needless to say, there have been some rememberable plays surrounding these two teams
100% chance of rain.... this really neutralizes things.. Stinson puts alot of zip on the ball an the recievers have a hard time snagging the short slants bc of it anyway.. add in the rain an that could be trouble.. if this game is a down pour i say run kade at wildcat in doses.. with bw qb running the ball it could give us fits..