Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Any news on who will be next football coach at Perry Central?
Administration needs to let new coach succeed.
Craze JACKET man Wrote:Chappell is a class act and a Hazard/Perry Co boy. He did a really nice job here in Jacket country. Players loved him!

There's no question Chappell is a good man.
If the administration put half of the effort into football program, as they have in the basketball program, Perry Central could have a very competitive program. They had a chance to build a powerhouse when Haddix was at the helm, but no support from the administration, eventually pushed him to greener pastures. Hopefully, they start putting more emphasis on the football program.
I keep hearing Dixon’s name mentioned for the job. Is his brother now the assistant AD at Perry??
i have not seen or heard anything official on this for sure or not
Panthers Dominate Wrote:I keep hearing Dixon’s name mentioned for the job. Is his brother now the assistant AD at Perry??

And I said it was probably a politically motivated cousin thing. Silly me.Confusedhh:

And the loyal coach Ovie goes :flush: because he has no kin in the system.

If things fall through for brother Dixon, I'm sure Uncle Dudley would consider the job if there was a humongous wad of retirement cash thrown at him. Dudley IS a proven winner:1: and is considered for EVERY opening in the hills when it's posted. That's a fact.:notworthy

:biggrin:

Like I said when Scotty Russell got the ol' nod and goodbye handshake at Knox Central two years ago from his "friends", we'll see where PCC stands in four or five years after all of his players are gone and the new coaching staff's legacy begins. Good luck to them. Time is the best measuring stick and I might be eating crow.:Shaking:

I just couldn't stay classy PHS.:HitWall:
papagrit Wrote:And I said it was probably a politically motivated cousin thing. Silly me.Confusedhh:

And the loyal coach Ovie goes :flush: because he has no kin in the system.

If things fall through for brother Dixon, I'm sure Uncle Dudley would consider the job if there was a humongous wad of retirement cash thrown at him. Dudley IS a proven winner:1: and is considered for EVERY opening in the hills when it's posted. That's a fact.:notworthy

:biggrin:

Like I said when Scotty Russell got the ol' nod and goodbye handshake at Knox Central two years ago from his "friends", we'll see where PCC stands in four or five years after all of his players are gone and the new coaching staff's legacy begins. Good luck to them. Time is the best measuring stick and I might be eating crow.:Shaking:

I just couldn't stay classy PHS.:HitWall:

I know of one position in the mountains that wasn't offered to him.
Confusednicker:
Granny Bear Wrote:I know of one position in the mountains that wasn't offered to him.
Confusednicker:
Confusednicker: .....LOL...no comment on that.

I just hate it for Ovie more than anything and everyone is ready to move on to the next "supercoach". He is an afterthought to everyone there and never got a chance to prove himself. The man bought into the school when he moved his family and set down roots there. I know there are good people there, I've met a few on here, but how he was treated just bugs me because he is such a good guy and I hear he treated his players well.
Folks if your 1-9 or 2-8 or even 3-7, the seat should get hot.. I hate to say this but there are some bad football teams in the state..
The Russelll boy was ran out of Knox and you will see that coach moving on after the season he had..
We helped Frazier/Chappell out at Boro and look at what we did the next 3 or 4 years.. We recovered now, but had to hire a great coach.
1-9 isnt a very good record but the talent pool at Perry was very very shallow. There are more kids on the basketball and baseball teams than what is playing football. Perry should at least have 50 players with a school with 900 plus students. I thought the Cannady guy ran things well. Just not much talent. Until the basketball and baseball players come out, it aint gonna matter who comes in to coach. Good luck to Perry finding a new coach.
papagrit Wrote:Confusednicker: .....LOL...no comment on that.

I just hate it for Ovie more than anything and everyone is ready to move on to the next "supercoach". He is an afterthought to everyone there and never got a chance to prove himself. The man bought into the school when he moved his family and set down roots there. I know there are good people there, I've met a few on here, but how he was treated just bugs me because he is such a good guy and I hear he treated his players well.

I’m gonna start with saying Ovie is a super guy and players love him and he goes out his way help kids and support them. But not a Coach knows a lot of X and O’s . So I really wish they try keep him on with staff because the man is loyal to Perry Central and it would be a smoother transition for the new coach. But I just don’t see Ovie doing this after he was the head man.
Don't know Ovie, consensus on these boards is that he's a great guy. And after all the BS he put up with when PCC was after the hot shot WV coach and he turned them down, he still hung around and took the job. He should have been given more time with the number of players mentioned on here. BS move.
It will be hard to replace the amount of time that Ovie dedicated to that program. Ovie basically ran the ins and outs of the program when Tom Larkey was there. He was the one who kept the weight program going and ran the films on Sundays. Larkey left and went home every Friday after the game and wouldn´t return until Mondays. Ovie conducted films and kept the field house open for the players. He was there during Christmas break, snow days, and spring break when those dedicated players wanted to lift and workout. He dedicated an unbelievable amount of time to those boys. He loved them and they loved
him. Thatś how it was the first 4 years he was here. My son played 4 years under him and thinks the world of him. I hate to see him and his family have to go through this. Best of luck to you Coach!! And you will always have friends here in Hazard.
He will always have friends in Harlan, too.

And for the same reasons.
This is what I heard by a few. PCC is trying to get Mark Dixon from Hazard. I am not saying what else I heard about it....
$56,000.00 teaching pay
55 extended days and $12,000.00 coaching stipend = $83,000.00 and you can get the top tier coaches.
cj2561 Wrote:This is what I heard by a few. PCC is trying to get Mark Dixon from Hazard. I am not saying what else I heard about it....

cj, are you back? I thought you said you were packing your bags and leaving this site??? It sure does my heart good to see another post from you. In fact, I'm down right emotional. :Sad04:
Westside Wrote:cj, are you back? I thought you said you were packing your bags and leaving this site??? It sure does my heart good to see another post from you. In fact, I'm down right emotional. :Sad04:

When I said that. I know when i done for that season. I said see y’all later or something like that. Was it something like that.
cj2561 Wrote:This is what I heard by a few. PCC is trying to get Mark Dixon from Hazard. I am not saying what else I heard about it....

It's no secret everyone knows that administration is trying to work out a deal with him, just a matter of if they can come to a happy compromise. Mark wants to make some changes so we will have to see what kind of agreement if any can be made. Should hear something by the new year.
PCCDORES Wrote:It's no secret everyone knows that administration is trying to work out a deal with him, just a matter of if they can come to a happy compromise. Mark wants to make some changes so we will have to see what kind of agreement if any can be made. Should hear something by the new year.

I think you will know by the end of the week. Sucks for Hazard. Great move by Perry if they close the deal.
Mark will have to get the basketball and baseball players out. He has a good personality and kids will want to play for him I believe. Good luck to Coach Dixon if he takes the job.
Heard he met with Hazards players today to tell them he was taking the Perry job!
Exciting news for Perry Central football. Some great names suppose to be coming to make a great staff. Way to get it done, Perry County. Homerun hire.
Hazard officials have reported it. Dixon himself hasn't made it official yet but everything points to Dixon leaving Hazard for Perry Central.
Who will be on his staff? All great coaches surround themselves with good help.
Did not see Mark taking this job. No disrespect to PCC just huge transition