Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Greenup County 41 Russell 21
RAM-A-DEVIL Wrote:And this years team does not remotely have that kind of talent.

I agree
Ivan had 2 losing seasons in 30+ years of coaching.. TJs about to have 2 straight
I’m just telling you TJ is a good coach. Always very prepared. I will say this though. You are only as good as the people you surround yourself with. How many of his coaches came from a spread system?
We Hang 8 Wrote:Ivan had 2 losing seasons in 30+ years of coaching.. TJs about to have 2 straight

Ivan was in a god awful district and had some of the best talent in the state for a lot of those years.
RAM-A-DEVIL Wrote:I’m just telling you TJ is a good coach. Always very prepared. I will say this though. You are only as good as the people you surround yourself with. How many of his coaches came from a spread system?

Supposedly Russell wouldn’t hire his OC from Raceland(not sure) But your the head coach you have to take responsibility for really bad play calling and I agree he’s not the only problem up at Russell.. like I said Russell sat in cover 2 almost all night and Greenup gashed them. You run cover 3 and make them beat you in the flats.
RAM-A-DEVIL Wrote:Ivan was in a god awful district and had some of the best talent in the state for a lot of those years.

Half his years at Russell.. Ashland was a district game
They seem to have a problem adjusting defensively. I know a few years back we played them and they kept trying to defend the screen and the flats and we threw down the middle of the field all night and they never changed a thing. Incidentally T.J. was our coach that year but the D coordinator is the same guy they got now.
We Hang 8 Wrote:Half his years at Russell.. Ashland was a district game

And they will be a district game next year too
RAM-A-DEVIL Wrote:And they will be a district game next year too

Oh boy! Please don’t remind me 🤦 Lol
The Assland Putty tats are very fast but thier D-line can be pushed around. They struggle stopping the run.
Where are all of the Mouseketeer fans. Just got a win over their arch rival and they aren’t on here claiming they are the best team on the planet. What’s up with that?
By the way. Your silence is not going to help you in two weeks.
Russell fans are hilarious, TJ is a great coach period. The Russell team that was out there tonight was the smallest Russell team I have ever seen. Plus, they are just not very good. In high school sports it very rarely comes down to coaching. Talent wins in high school sports. Coaching can help but I would say a good majority of the time talent comes out on top.

For the Ivan statements, his time needed to end at Russell. I had no problem with what the administration did at that time. Ivan was not safe on the sideline and most likely couldn’t walk to the press boxes either. There is no doubt he was a great coach but definitely his time to go. Also anyone who knows football knows that the Wing T is played out. Football has evolved far past the 3 yds and a cloud of dust. TJ still ran the ball 90% of the time tonight but just got outplayed by a better team.

Lastly, I don’t think people are giving credit where credit is due. Greenup is a solid football team that I believe can go 8-2 or 7-3 on the year. They have a big time Divison 1 QB in the backfield, really nice skill players, and a solid line. The D could use some work but it is also week 2 that can get better. The D even though shaky at times still laid a couple of nice hits on some Russell players and gang tackled well. People dismissing GC doesn’t know much football. I believe that the only sure loses are Ashland and JC on their schedule. Raceland, I believe, will be a good game and great crowd similar to tonight. I don’t believe Raceland is bad as people are saying but I don’t think they are as good as they were last year. Same for Ashland though, I think the Daily Independent has blown Ashland up like they always do and may be a touch overrated. Like I said, GC is a legit team with some good coaches as well. For Russell, give TJ his chance. He is one of the best coaches in the area but has just fallen on some weak talent that fans aren’t accustomed to seeing.
Ram-A-Devil I don’t know if I would count my chickens before they hatch. If GC gets the D dialed in it could be a close game. GC has a high octane offense that can score with a lot of teams. Should be a nice rivalary game with a lot of excitement.
I will say this even though Russell Pass Defense was horrible tonight Greenup County has been building this team the last 2 years. Sammons started half the season as a freshman and now he is a junior and has the experience and is an outstanding QB. GC has 3 or 4 WR's and Halstead at RB with a couple of other potential RB's. They have most of there OL back and most of there Defense. They are not just an average team as one fan mentioned above. Greenup has Raceland home and Ashland home so they could easily go 9-1 losing to JC on the road.
I believe TJ is an outstanding Head Coach and he did say he was taking over the offense this year making the calls. I just believe to be an outstanding Head Coach you need an outstanding Offense and Defense Coordinators. Just like tonight Russell takes the 1st drive right down the field and scores and goes up 7-0. Then Russell Int. Sammons on his 1st drive and takes back over and Russell was driving again but turned it over on downs. If Russell goes in for another TD after the Int. they could had 14-0 lead at end 1st quarter. After GC takes over on downs though Sammons throws a Deep pass to the 1 and takes it in for a 7-7 tie. Then Russell takes the next drive and goes 3 and out but TJ tries a Fake Punt on our own 35 and GC takes over again. Sammons throws another down to the 1 yard line and GC takes it in for 14-7 lead. Then Russell gets a nice Kick-off return to GC 48 but can't take advantage and trails at half 14-7. Russell when running the ball the offense was moving fine and we could have taken a 14-0 or 21-0 lead at the Half. If it wasn't for the Fake Punt and turning it over on downs GC scores there 2 TD's. Then the Pass Defense collapses at beginning of 2nd half Sammons throws 2 TD bombs and leads 27-7. The Pass Defense for Russell can not in the future give up 3 or 4 long TD bombs. The 2 TD drives for Russell in the 2nd half was once running the ball and running the Wing T. Russell does have 3 Soph. and 2 Junior Running backs from last year. Russell only lost Bates from last year at RB. so TJ needs to run the Wing T and the conventional run offense like tonight we scored on the 3 TD's either using Wing T or Run offense. Then fix the Pass Defense and this Russell team will not be as bad as they looked tonight. They have the talent at RB to fix that problem with the Wing T and run offense. The Pass Defense might take more work to play a lot better than they played tonight giving 3 or 4 long TD Passes from Sammons to Kelly. If TJ and Russell will play the Conventional Run Offense and Wing T offense and play better in the Pass Defense then this team will be a better football team and win.
There are only 2 more games on Russell’s schedule that they have no shot of winning, Ashland and Raceland. Their district will be tough this year with West Carter and Bath County competing with them, but they still could win it. That’s why I think this week’s Ironton game is a huge one for both programs. Ironton has a new coach looking for his first win and Russell does not need to go 0-3.
nekysportsfan Wrote:There are only 2 more games on Russell’s schedule that they have no shot of winning, Ashland and Raceland. Their district will be tough this year with West Carter and Bath County competing with them, but they still could win it. That’s why I think this week’s Ironton game is a huge one for both programs. Ironton has a new coach looking for his first win and Russell does not need to go 0-3.

If Russell played Raceland next week then I would agree with you 100% but with the game being at the end of the season they could have a shot due to potential injuries injuries throughout the season and the fact that Russell could improve a lot between now and then. That being said, if they are to win that game Russell has to have a lot of things go their way and hope that Raceland isn’t peaking when they play.
Russell wouldn't have beat Greenup if they were running the wing-t.
And so the anarchy has begun! The curse of Ivan is will live until Russell gets a coach of integrity. You all keep thinking I’m nuts although every SINGLE thing I have said has come true! This was our worse loss to Greenup ever and get ready cause Ashland is capable of hanging 70 on this team. The rail cities bowl won’t even be a contest this year. I never thought I would see the day when Russell was by far the worst team in Greenup County. Thank you TJ Maynard for officially ruining football in Flatwoods! God it was such an awesome decision by Sean Horne to fire Ivan....not!
All you kool aid drinkers out there would rather die drunks than face the truth. When this season is over the disaster might be too much for even kool aid to drown away!
Good win for GC. Russell has talent just looks like the coach is trying to stick a square peg in a round hole. Russell will win some games against bad teams. They will struggle or even worse against good ones.
16th_Region_Fan Wrote:Ram-A-Devil I don’t know if I would count my chickens before they hatch. If GC gets the D dialed in it could be a close game. GC has a high octane offense that can score with a lot of teams. Should be a nice rivalary game with a lot of excitement.

You are assuming the GC Qb will have all the time in the world to stand back there and throw passes like he did against Russell. I assure that won’t be the case.
Russell doesn’t have the talent of the Glorified Russell teams of old. You can’t tell me they do. Even good coaches can have bad teams!
THINBLUELINE411 Wrote:And so the anarchy has begun! The curse of Ivan is will live until Russell gets a coach of integrity. You all keep thinking I’m nuts although every SINGLE thing I have said has come true! This was our worse loss to Greenup ever and get ready cause Ashland is capable of hanging 70 on this team. The rail cities bowl won’t even be a contest this year. I never thought I would see the day when Russell was by far the worst team in Greenup County. Thank you TJ Maynard for officially ruining football in Flatwoods! God it was such an awesome decision by Sean Horne to fire Ivan....not!
Get over it old man.
Greenup was the better and more aggressive/physical team last night. I never thought a Greenup team would be more physical than a Russell team. I don’t know if they are on Raceland’s level quite yet but you can tell they are making strides each week.

I believe TJ is a solid coach he has had success at Greenup, Raceland, and his first couple of years at Russell as well. Last night though Russell looked like a team without an identity, because that they didn’t look confident or aggressive. The players looked disorganized on where and what they were doing. The Red Devils have some talented pieces but they need organization and identity or this will be another frustrating season.
RAM-A-DEVIL Wrote:You are assuming the GC Qb will have all the time in the world to stand back there and throw passes like he did against Russell. I assure that won’t be the case.

I believe we are getting carried away. You are speaking of Raceland as if they can’t be touched at all. I haven’t seen them play this season but have heard from reliable sources that they are not near as talented as the team last season. The D line may be good but it doesn’t sound like the DB are as good as they have been in the past. I’m not saying GC is going to win or lose that game in a couple weeks but I don’t believe it will be a blowout like your saying. Like I previously said Greenups O is nice. Skill players are really good and have a nice balance of run and pass. O line play is better then I have seen it in many years. D could use some work but they could figure it out. They still play physical so that helps. Raceland vs. GC will be a great game that a lot of people in the area will want to see.
This season will be hard to watch
Congrats to Gc Russell will have there hands full with the tigers next week I wish Russell the best on rest of season but it may be a 2 win season for them this year
nekysportsfan Wrote:There are only 2 more games on Russell’s schedule that they have no shot of winning, Ashland and Raceland. Their district will be tough this year with West Carter and Bath County competing with them, but they still could win it. That’s why I think this week’s Ironton game is a huge one for both programs. Ironton has a new coach looking for his first win and Russell does not need to go 0-3.
They won’t beat Ironton
RAM-A-DEVIL Wrote:Nobody was beating Belfry during that time period. And Russell does not have the athletes like they had in the early 2000’s. Not even close to resembling any of that talent.
Those of us that played on those teams and actually won games appreciate that.