Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Recruiting in highschool
[quote=jetpilot]My eyes and taste buds say yes please but my heart says I quit if you do it! That looks totally awesome and I have to learn how to do it. I can fast for 6 days if I can have all I want of that 1 day a week lol...[/QUO

Speaking of Buds, that pjdougie's creation would be very deserving of a few to wash that down with. I like the fried onions to top it off with dougie.:rockon:
papagrit Wrote:I am in the camp that says a kid should be able to go where they want to go. I know others disagree with this, some of those being people that I respect on here. But in my opinion if a school system wants to keep their kids in district, then they should present a positive reason for those kids to stay in their own district. If the district stinks at athletics, academics or the kid just doesn't wish to go to that school for personal reasons, then they should be allowed to move to a better opportunity that will give them a better chance to succeed......in life. I live in Garrard County and sent my kids to Rockcastle County. My reasons were personal ones at the time, but, my boys excelled at Rockcastle County in academics AND sports. They might have done as well at Garrard County, but, the track they took worked out nicely for them and we have no regrets for the extra travel/commute.

I'd go to Rockcastle County to eat a cheeseburger instead of going to Marksbury Confusednicker:
papagrit Wrote:If you are going after everybody Dougie, then just throw a double handful of that mess in your picture at them. That ought to do it.:biggrin:

That might keep the lynch mob off me for a while. lol
jetpilot Wrote:My eyes and taste buds say yes please but my heart says I quit if you do it! That looks totally awesome and I have to learn how to do it. I can fast for 6 days if I can have all I want of that 1 day a week lol...

I'm trying to learn but didn't do too bad on this Smile. I've perfected the seasoning . Now I just need to work on getting the perfect sauce and cooking the meat perfectly every time. I've perfected the slaw to go with it to make it a little more healthy :biggrin: . We can't live on this earth forever so I guess we should enjoy what we can while here. lol
PHS DYNASTY Wrote:[quote=jetpilot]My eyes and taste buds say yes please but my heart says I quit if you do it! That looks totally awesome and I have to learn how to do it. I can fast for 6 days if I can have all I want of that 1 day a week lol...[/QUO

Speaking of Buds, that pjdougie's creation would be very deserving of a few to wash that down with. I like the fried onions to top it off with dougie.:rockon:

I need to come to Pikeville sometime and cook a pork shoulder for about 12 hours. :beer:
No...no you don't need to do that.

Confusednicker:
Granny Bear Wrote:No...no you don't need to do that.

Confusednicker:
Why don't I? lol
blueandgreen Wrote:It is if adults talk them into it and I'm actually for kids transferring under the right circumstances for example the whole family moving and its an actual move not some web of lies where people start feeling sorry for them. It's the lies and trying to cheat the system that is wrong in my book. Btw stealing a teams best players shouldn't be something you brag about, typical corbin its why your always brought up when stuff like this is mentioned

The only lies being told is that we’re recruiting your players and that there is some kind of rivalry between the schools, that don’t play. This is just another false narrative you bunch of rubes try to push, like the whole we could have beat Corbin if we’d played, even though there’s nothing there to validate the claim!! Corbin played for the state championship NL got beat in the 2nd round end of story!!! Enjoy your season :welcome:
pjdoug Wrote:I'd go to Rockcastle County to eat a cheeseburger instead of going to Marksbury Confusednicker:

I’ll fix you a burger anytime no reason for you to go slumming in rockastle :yum:
Hell I was told by a cop in Belfry told they do. Pull in the parking lot of a football game and 3/4’s of the lot has West Virginia tags....
chs crazy Wrote:I’ll fix you a burger anytime no reason for you to go slumming in rockastle :yum:

I appreciate that. The Rocket Burger at Marcella's is pretty good.
Cledog30 Wrote:Hell I was told by a cop in Belfry told they do. Pull in the parking lot of a football game and 3/4’s of the lot has West Virginia tags....

Confusednicker:
pjdoug Wrote:I'm trying to learn but didn't do too bad on this Smile. I've perfected the seasoning . Now I just need to work on getting the perfect sauce and cooking the meat perfectly every time. I've perfected the slaw to go with it to make it a little more healthy :biggrin: . We can't live on this earth forever so I guess we should enjoy what we can while here. lol
What temperature do you wrap the butt? What temperature do you remove it from heat?
Woodsman Wrote:What temperature do you wrap the butt? What temperature do you remove it from heat?

I don't claim to be a pit master, but I try to get it above 205 F. I use a homemade drum smoker.
[quote=Woodsman]What temperature do you wrap the butt? What temperature do you remove it from heat?[/QUOTE

Confusednicker: I can't stop laughing. I feel like a freshman in high school. LOL!

The worst case of recruiting that allegedly occurred took place was in the town where the assistant coach was handing out business cards. If that did indeed happen, that was bold.
Westside Wrote:[quote=Woodsman]What temperature do you wrap the butt? What temperature do you remove it from heat?[/QUOTE

Confusednicker: I can't stop laughing. I feel like a freshman in high school. LOL!

The worst case of recruiting that allegedly occurred took place was in the town where the assistant coach was handing out business cards. If that did indeed happen, that was bold.
I wonder how many different ways they sneak around and recruit kids?
I could be wrong, but I think a lot of the recruiting accusations that we hear about are greatly exaggerated. While I'm sure recruiting still occurs, and it is worse at some places than others, I think a lot of kids go to some of these tradition rich programs on their own. The success of these schools recruit themselves. Kids go to these schools on their own because they want to win. I know when I played, I heard some crazy recruiting tales taking placing at a nearby class A powerhouse program. I think they were greatly exaggerated, but I could be wrong. I know the school that I played at has lost a few players to this very program. I don't think they were actually recruited. I think they left on their own because they wanted a shot at playing for a state title.
pjdoug Wrote:surely not. lol. I wonder who started this thread Smile

No idea 🤷🏼*♂️
Cledog30 Wrote:Hell I was told by a cop in Belfry told they do. Pull in the parking lot of a football game and 3/4’s of the lot has West Virginia tags....

I got bored about a year ago and looked up some of their players. I would not even exaggerate saying 80% of the ones I looked up were from WV. Now I’m not hating on them, nor the kids. They just want to be in the best place for them to succeed. But even though mileage might not be much being from a different state kinda looks bad.
chs crazy Wrote:The only lies being told is that we’re recruiting your players and that there is some kind of rivalry between the schools, that don’t play. This is just another false narrative you bunch of rubes try to push, like the whole we could have beat Corbin if we’d played, even though there’s nothing there to validate the claim!! Corbin played for the state championship NL got beat in the 2nd round end of story!!! Enjoy your season :welcome:
Just another envious hater with outrageous claims. Some have a hard time excepting that kids don’t want to play for the mediocre team. It’s like the other poster said, some schools have the name to recruit themselves, so we don’t need to go after players. It’s loke field of dreams. Except we already built it and now they have come hahah.
CHS crazy, No need to be insulting to the people in Rockcastle!
You DO realize literally less than about 2 miles separates the high school from the state of WV, right? And that a trip even from downtown Williamson, WV (just a short distance from Belfry HS) to Mingo Central is about 15 minutes at least. So if someone lives in Williamson, and can drive 5 minutes to school, why wouldn’t they? I’m by far no big Belfry supporter, but I don’t get how it “looks bad” to have people from another state when literally some could jog to school in about 15 mins. Lol. Maybe to someone who is not literally on the border it looks highly suspicious but if you know the geography, it makes sense.

But to the main question of this thread. Does recruiting happen? No doubt. I’ve seen and heard some crazy things with HS recruiting in my day. And like another person said, the majority of it is greatly exaggerated but it does happen once in a while. Usually somewhere where they are down and have very high expectations or somewhere trying to build success or get over the hump. The great programs, their success stands on its own.
Hound05 Wrote:I got bored about a year ago and looked up some of their players. I would not even exaggerate saying 80% of the ones I looked up were from WV. Now I’m not hating on them, nor the kids. They just want to be in the best place for them to succeed. But even though mileage might not be much being from a different state kinda looks bad.
is that why Corbin stops at Jellico,TN when they recruit? Did they get any players with the coach they recruited from Jellico? lol
Hound05 Wrote:Just another envious hater with outrageous claims. Some have a hard time excepting that kids don’t want to play for the mediocre team. It’s like the other poster said, some schools have the name to recruit themselves, so we don’t need to go after players. It’s loke field of dreams. Except we already built it and now they have come hahah.

The fans of schools like Belfry and Corbin use the same boring BS lines over and over and over and over. Your team would be mediocre too if you didn't have all-stars from surrounding counties. duh Confusednicker: . Some have the name to recruit alright.
oldschool77 Wrote:CHS crazy, No need to be insulting to the people in Rockcastle!

My great grandmother was born in Rockcastle County. Some of my family lived at Wildie for a lot of years.
pjdoug Wrote:My great grandmother was born in Rockcastle County. Some of my family lived at Wildie for a lot of years.
Well, if you got kids still playing, I'm sure that would be grounds to change their address to Wildie and play for the Rock according to some. We would feed them well at Marcella's. Double Rocket burger with bacon! Lol
PHSForever Wrote:You DO realize literally less than about 2 miles separates the high school from the state of WV, right? And that a trip even from downtown Williamson, WV (just a short distance from Belfry HS) to Mingo Central is about 15 minutes at least. So if someone lives in Williamson, and can drive 5 minutes to school, why wouldn’t they? I’m by far no big Belfry supporter, but I don’t get how it “looks bad” to have people from another state when literally some could jog to school in about 15 mins. Lol. Maybe to someone who is not literally on the border it looks highly suspicious but if you know the geography, it makes sense.

But to the main question of this thread. Does recruiting happen? No doubt. I’ve seen and heard some crazy things with HS recruiting in my day. And like another person said, the majority of it is greatly exaggerated but it does happen once in a while. Usually somewhere where they are down and have very high expectations or somewhere trying to build success or get over the hump. The great programs, their success stands on its own.

As I stated, I’m all for the kids being in the best place to succeed. But you can’t objectively say it doesn’t look bad having a kid from WV playing for a KY HS. It’s the same for someone from Ohio or Tennessee. Not hating on the kids for doing it. I would want to be in the best place for me too. But even if it’s 5 minutes to their Hs in Ky and 15 to their HS in their state, it still looks bad. We have borders for a reason. Now I don’t know what the law says about kids being out of state, but how many have Ky addresses?
oldschool77 Wrote:Well, if you got kids still playing, I'm sure that would be grounds to change their address to Wildie and play for the Rock according to some. We would feed them well at Marcella's. Double Rocket burger with bacon! Lol

I ain't got a thing against Marcella's, Rocket Burgers or the county. I visit the area and Marcella's pretty often Smile. I usually get a burger or something with soup beans and fried taters, but the last time I was there I had a good catfish dinner.
Hound05 Wrote:As I stated, I’m all for the kids being in the best place to succeed. But you can’t objectively say it doesn’t look bad having a kid from WV playing for a KY HS. It’s the same for someone from Ohio or Tennessee. Not hating on the kids for doing it. I would want to be in the best place for me too. But even if it’s 5 minutes to their Hs in Ky and 15 to their HS in their state, it still looks bad. We have borders for a reason. Now I don’t know what the law says about kids being out of state, but how many have Ky addresses?
it also looks bad when kids living in Southern Whitley County at Tennessee line go to Corbin 30 minutes away to play football Smile
pjdoug Wrote:it also looks bad when kids living in Southern Whitley County at Tennessee line go to Corbin 30 minutes away to play football Smile

I agree! Which is why I said it looks even worse crossing state lines. But I’m also in favor of kids going where they want. Still looks bad though with kids showing up to Hs with another states tags on their plate